USMB Coffee Shop IV

Thought I would mention this now, so everyone can wonder what happened next Wednesday. Mrs. Liberty is having knee surgery to repair a ligament and remove some arthritis. I guess you are down for three days, then gradually back to normal. Unfortunately, she did not let me know how pressing the issue was or she could have done it last year when the deductible as already met. $2,000 poof!

One of my brother's employees reported off this morning. Because his son was born last night! Mazel Tov! And one hundred dead relatives in Scotland just rolled over in their graves.

He named the wee bairn Mattix. Okay. So many kids are named such unusual names these days. Gone are the days when a girl might be named Helen or Karen or Kim. Boys no longer get named George or Ralph or Henry. I just hope that, as these newly monikered kids mature, they could find a personalized coffee mug.

Anyway, I'm waiting for my cigar, if new fathers still pass out cigars. When they name kids after farm implements, you might just get a complimentary double latte.

Meanwhile the temperatures are a month ahead of schedule. We are enjoying highs in the fifties rather than the thirties.

Rehearsal for the annual Easter Pageant on the Hillside start up a week from Sunday. Every year a dedicated group of amateur thespians get together to re-enact the last week of Jesus of Nazareth. From His triumphal entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday through Judas' plot of betrayal, the Last Supper, His trial, execution and resurrection.

The Greatest Story ever Told plays out on the steep slope between Trinity Presbyterian and the high school which sits on the brow of the hill. Permanent sets have been constructed. The Upper Room and Pontius Pilate's house are made from local sandstone. The grave is also sandstone with a plywood 'stone' that is rolled in place after Christ's burial. A clever system of ropes and pullies is used by the actor portraying Christ to roll away the stone without the audience noticing it's happening. A smoke machine and a 750 watt shop light provides the effect of an angel as he reveals the word of the Resurrection to Mary and Mary Magdalene.

I play the voices of the apostle John, Matthew and (my favorite) one of the hecklers Christ encounters on the villa della rosa. Because I'm a tenor and can scream loudly, I also provide the wails and lamentations of the two thieves crucified along side Jesus. Baritones can scream well. They sound like fog horns. It takes a tenor to cry out and put a shiver up the spine.

Very interesting! It seems like historical festivals and representations :)

I'm in the process of buying my youngest daughter Hailey her first car. Actually, she's been pushing for an SUV and after 3 weeks of looking, testing my patience and sticker shock she's warn me down, it's an overpriced SUV with all the bells and whistles. :eusa_doh:

77b573654bf7a93898db95435ebe6043.jpg

Save! :huddle:
Yes, I'm still at the library. I'm a widow now, so it's Good Will Stores time in my life. Oh, and I only have about 1.5 minutes left, so I probably have just enough time to grab my purse and go.
Hugs to all! :)

Wow, four words, "I'm a widow now", packs quite a punch. I think Mrs. Liberty can live close to what we do now should something happen to me. Don't need a lot of people around me, but the holes would be big for the ones I do have. How can we get you better connected in the world?

Becki's husband had been suffering from advanced dementia for years and apparently it got the worst of him. One of those sad cases in which death was likely a blessing once there was no more quality of life.

She has been without computer or at least without internet for some time now. Not sure if that is by circumstances or by choice.

Save! :huddle:
Yes, I'm still at the library. I'm a widow now, so it's Good Will Stores time in my life. Oh, and I only have about 1.5 minutes left, so I probably have just enough time to grab my purse and go.
Hugs to all! :)

Wow, four words, "I'm a widow now", packs quite a punch. I think Mrs. Liberty can live close to what we do now should something happen to me. Don't need a lot of people around me, but the holes would be big for the ones I do have. How can we get you better connected in the world?

Becki's husband had been suffering from advanced dementia for years and apparently it got the worst of him. One of those sad cases in which death was likely a blessing once there was no more quality of life.

She has been without computer or at least without internet for some time now. Not sure if that is by circumstances or by choice.
Becki is such a courageous women with such a wonderful heart. One think about the Coffee Shop is that it has attracted such warmhearted down to earth people. It's like coming home to be here.

One of my brother's employees reported off this morning. Because his son was born last night! Mazel Tov! And one hundred dead relatives in Scotland just rolled over in their graves.

He named the wee bairn Mattix. Okay. So many kids are named such unusual names these days. Gone are the days when a girl might be named Helen or Karen or Kim. Boys no longer get named George or Ralph or Henry. I just hope that, as these newly monikered kids mature, they could find a personalized coffee mug.

Anyway, I'm waiting for my cigar, if new fathers still pass out cigars. When they name kids after farm implements, you might just get a complimentary double latte.

Meanwhile the temperatures are a month ahead of schedule. We are enjoying highs in the fifties rather than the thirties.

Rehearsal for the annual Easter Pageant on the Hillside start up a week from Sunday. Every year a dedicated group of amateur thespians get together to re-enact the last week of Jesus of Nazareth. From His triumphal entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday through Judas' plot of betrayal, the Last Supper, His trial, execution and resurrection.

The Greatest Story ever Told plays out on the steep slope between Trinity Presbyterian and the high school which sits on the brow of the hill. Permanent sets have been constructed. The Upper Room and Pontius Pilate's house are made from local sandstone. The grave is also sandstone with a plywood 'stone' that is rolled in place after Christ's burial. A clever system of ropes and pullies is used by the actor portraying Christ to roll away the stone without the audience noticing it's happening. A smoke machine and a 750 watt shop light provides the effect of an angel as he reveals the word of the Resurrection to Mary and Mary Magdalene.

I play the voices of the apostle John, Matthew and (my favorite) one of the hecklers Christ encounters on the villa della rosa. Because I'm a tenor and can scream loudly, I also provide the wails and lamentations of the two thieves crucified along side Jesus. Baritones can scream well. They sound like fog horns. It takes a tenor to cry out and put a shiver up the spine.

I can imagine what a production your annual Easter pageant is, and it has become a staple in the Coffee Shop as well. I always look forward to recounting of it and I send up a little prayer for good weather when it happens.
Easter Sunday is unusually late this year. That's good news for us because we can get more rehearsals out on the hillside. There are scores of costumed actors, many of them are children. Getting all those kids (what is the term for a bunch of grade schoolers? I'll take a stab at coining a phrase and call them a 'giggle'. A giggle of children). Anyway, getting a giggle of children to move as a synchronized group is easier with several rehearsals.

There are also a dozen actors who provide the voices of the costumed actors. That's where I come in. We are sequestered in an office trailer parked out in front of the church, but behind the audience which is seated in the parking lot. There are microphones and a PA system to amplify our efforts. We stand in front of a bank of plexiglass windows and monitor the action. We take our cues from the position of the actor on the hillside we provide the voice for.

Once all the hillside actors are costumed and make up applied to their faces, we can really see how the play will go. There are Roman soldiers with firey torches, swords, lances and whips. There are members of the Sanhedrin arrayed in magnificent costumes, peasants in sack cloth, disciples in robes and sandals and Christ arrayed in white with a purple sash.

Crowds gather for Christ's entry to Jerusalem waving palm fronds. Crowds gather to mock and lamentHim as He is dragged by the Romans to Calvary. He is crucified on a cross made of 4x4's and hinged at the base. He is lifted and a pin is installed in the hinge as He hangs in agony.

Joseph of Arimathea claims His body, wraps it in a white shroud and, along with five other men, bears it to the tomb. Once it was so cold, someone suggested to the actor. Playing Jesus that, in order to stay warm up on thatcross, he should apply Vaseline jelly to his body like an English Channel swimmer. Joseph of Arimathea and his cohorts had a bad rime carrying that greasy body across the slope to the tomb.

I had roast beef for dinner and now I have a little tiny piece stuck in between my teeth, and I can't get it out and it hurts!
Toothpicks or floss will take care of that problem!

I tried a toothpick and brushing but that didn't work. I will try flossing. It's really bugging me!
I understand the feeling, that's why I gave up popcorn.

Well, floss did the trick! I don't know why I didn't think of that.

I had roast beef for dinner and now I have a little tiny piece stuck in between my teeth, and I can't get it out and it hurts!

I tried a toothpick and brushing but that didn't work. I will try flossing. It's really bugging me!

Popcorn is terrible for getting stuff stuck between your teeth and in your gums.....but it's so yummy!

Popcorn is terrible for getting stuff stuck between your teeth and in your gums.....but it's so yummy!
I agree, popcorn is delicious, but I've had to dial back my consumption. Since I prefer mine drenched in butter and parmesan cheese especially...LOL!

Forum List

Back