USMB Coffee Shop IV

You folks talking about retirement... Let me tell you, I highly recommend it! I'm having a ball. I planned well for my retirement and am living the kind of lifestyle I am comfortable with and have plenty of time to do as I wish. Life is good. Retirement is good. If you've been thinking about retiring, go for it. You won't regret it.
I used to be retired

Carry on working as long as you can. I retired years ago and I spend more time sleeping than waking.
I am up at 5am again but will soon crash and probably sleep till noon.
I need a purpose.The 3 years I remained retired bored the hell out of me. Now, bored is not always a bad thing and I do miss being able to leave for parts unknown when I feel the wanderlust, but I do truly love what I do and hope to get back to it ASAP

I don't really get bored, but I waste a lot of time watching daytime TV. When I am not doing that I spend time on various forums on the web. I also have a large library of books that I have collected over my life. I have shelves full of philosophy books that I have only glanced at and I have some serious reading to do.

That's us though I seem to be as busy as ever in retirement. But I don't get bored. In addition to the chores that have to be done, I fill the leisure time I have with things I enjoy doing whether that be volunteer work, reading, watching favorite movies, enjoying myself on the internet, enjoying the company of family and friends, etc. There still doesn't seem to be enough time for everything, but I do wake up looking forward to my day.

Does anyone have a futuristix cassette to mp3 converter ? I have had one for years but I have never used it.
I read on the internet that the suppliers went bust so there is not much information about it. It says it works on old windows versions but that was before windows 10 and I don't want to install the software that comes with it because there are reports it has bugs even on the windows versions it was designed for.

I have been off my music for some time but recently started listening to it again, and I started buying CDs of my old records and tapes. But if I can convert my tapes to mp3 I can write them to CDs myself, thereby saving loads of money.

I don't have a clue Dajjal. We have a turn table that we can play old records on but it hasn't been hooked up since we moved into this house. And the equipment can record a record we are playing to a cassette tape but who uses those any more? My 1995 Subaru still has a tape deck but you can't buy tapes so. . ..

And I don't buy the mp3's so don't really know how they work.

I have been reading you can use any cassette player that has an output port by plugging it directly into the computer sound card and using the software that comes with windows. But I am not doing anything until I am sure of what I am doing as it puts both your software and hardware at risk.

I've transferred a few songs from cassette to mp3 before. I don't think I used any particular software, just plugged my cassette player into the input jack on my PC. Maybe I used Audacity to record it, I don't remember; it was years ago. I don't even own a cassette player anymore. :p

If your cassette player has a 3.5mm headphone jack, and you have a 3.5 to 3.5 wire, plug from the cassette player headphone jack to your PC's line in. You should be able to use Windows built in software to record, or you can try a free program like Audacity if you prefer. You can also do RCA cables to 3.5 if necessary. The wires are cheap if you don't already have them, probably about $5 US.

It can certainly be done that way --- the direct approach. Might convey some noises but it'll work.

What Dajjal refers to is kind of how I record in the work I do. I use an interface to convert the audio signal to digital, which then feeds into the computer and the recording software. There's no "risk" associated with it. I've done it literally thousands of times. Although one computer's drivers eventually got corrupted so much I went to another one for that work.

However I wouldn't waste money on a cassette player (or turntable or anything else) that's designed with a USB cable for that purpose, if you already have a K7 or TT player. That's just extra stuff. Get a simple interface and you can digitize anything you want from any source, including live.

C6ZK02yUYAAlK-V.jpg

A lovely picture of a fox, not by me. But I sent some of last years fox cubs to the BBC wildlife magazine and they emailed me asking to use one.

It is beautiful here. It truly is. But...I wanna go home. *sniff*
Think about how happy Karma is in all those open spaces. I don't think you'd be as
You should, GW. Get another abode in a warmer clime so you can go back and forth. Spend time with the kidlets while you have mobility. Old age creeps up on ya much too fast. It hit me at 58 and I was still roaring to do things. Now...I wait for weather and my body to allow anything I do or any place I go.
I cannot imagine living in a warmer clime. I love it here. I am very happy that you and Mr. G found a place in a warmer clime, though. t get me wrong, you will always be welcome here, but it is cold. Doesn't bother dogs that much, but folks feel the change.
I'm tired of never having time for anything but work and chores. My social life includes my socially retarded partner and my geezers. Once I move from where I am, I lose the geezers and have only the partner and my work colleagues. Hopefully, after I retire, I can become more involved in my local community and take up so many of the hobbies and crafts that have fallen by the wayside because I have so little time. Working two jobs and the small farm take up so much of my life...
I apologize for being whiney. My partner plans on staying another night here, and his being here is a big cramp on my lifestyle.
Then continue to love where you are, but now make time to ENJOY that love, hon. If you can afford it....retire. Or at least, from the one job that takes up that time, so you CAN do all the things you said you want to do.

Now that I am done preaching..instead of hanging in the house where its warm..I think I am going to brave the cold and hit a few thrift shops with karma. Salvation Army folks know her already and eagerly await her visits, lol.
Here, I plan to be more social. Make friends. GET OUT and about. No hermity lifestyle here!

BBL!
Do you have enough warm clothes for their winter? You need sweaters, coat, gloves, hat even and a scarf. Maybe you'll feel better when you go out.
I do now, thanks to thrift shops. I wear TWO coats, TWO pairs of leggings over a pair of thermals, socks INSIDE my uggs, bought a pair of rain/snow boots for 4 bucks, more blankets for the bed, 4 scarves, 3 sets of gloves I wear over each other and tomorrow I am off to buy a beanie hat! We were very unprepared.:eek-52:

My gosh! How cold is it there?
:lol:. Nothing like Boston but she has pain from arthritis or osteoporosis. Right Gracie?

Does anyone have a futuristix cassette to mp3 converter ? I have had one for years but I have never used it.
I read on the internet that the suppliers went bust so there is not much information about it. It says it works on old windows versions but that was before windows 10 and I don't want to install the software that comes with it because there are reports it has bugs even on the windows versions it was designed for.

I have been off my music for some time but recently started listening to it again, and I started buying CDs of my old records and tapes. But if I can convert my tapes to mp3 I can write them to CDs myself, thereby saving loads of money.

I don't have a clue Dajjal. We have a turn table that we can play old records on but it hasn't been hooked up since we moved into this house. And the equipment can record a record we are playing to a cassette tape but who uses those any more? My 1995 Subaru still has a tape deck but you can't buy tapes so. . ..

And I don't buy the mp3's so don't really know how they work.

I have been reading you can use any cassette player that has an output port by plugging it directly into the computer sound card and using the software that comes with windows. But I am not doing anything until I am sure of what I am doing as it puts both your software and hardware at risk.

I've transferred a few songs from cassette to mp3 before. I don't think I used any particular software, just plugged my cassette player into the input jack on my PC. Maybe I used Audacity to record it, I don't remember; it was years ago. I don't even own a cassette player anymore. :p

If your cassette player has a 3.5mm headphone jack, and you have a 3.5 to 3.5 wire, plug from the cassette player headphone jack to your PC's line in. You should be able to use Windows built in software to record, or you can try a free program like Audacity if you prefer. You can also do RCA cables to 3.5 if necessary. The wires are cheap if you don't already have them, probably about $5 US.

It can certainly be done that way --- the direct approach. Might convey some noises but it'll work.

What Dajjal refers to is kind of how I record in the work I do. I use an interface to convert the audio signal to digital, which then feeds into the computer and the recording software. There's no "risk" associated with it. I've done it literally thousands of times. Although one computer's drivers eventually got corrupted so much I went to another one for that work.

However I wouldn't waste money on a cassette player (or turntable or anything else) that's designed with a USB cable for that purpose, if you already have a K7 or TT player. That's just extra stuff. Get a simple interface and you can digitize anything you want from any source, including live.

I know that is in a language some here can understand. Myself, I just nod approvingly as if I had a clue what you just said. :)

By the way, Pogo, how is Pat doing?

50 mph winds here today. Power has flickered several times.
I don't have power either. I went out to get my license renewed and came back to STILL NO LIGHTS!!!!

The winds are terrible and just a little juice left on my tablet.

Neighbor down the street had a tree take out his Colorado pickup.
It seems like something like that could happen.

Our trees around here are used to 50 mph winds. But when it gets up near and beyond hurricane force--and that sometimes happens here too--it can do some damage but not as much as one might think.

No wind today though and an absolutely perfectly beautiful day with glorious azure blue sky that New Mexico is famous for. So warm Hombre and I were shedding our light jackets when we went grocery shopping earlier.

The opening lines of our state song:

Under a sky of azure
Where balmy breezes blow
Kissed by the golden sunshine
Is Nuevo Mejico. . .

Last edited:
It is beautiful here. It truly is. But...I wanna go home. *sniff*
Think about how happy Karma is in all those open spaces. I don't think you'd be as
I cannot imagine living in a warmer clime. I love it here. I am very happy that you and Mr. G found a place in a warmer clime, though. t get me wrong, you will always be welcome here, but it is cold. Doesn't bother dogs that much, but folks feel the change.
I'm tired of never having time for anything but work and chores. My social life includes my socially retarded partner and my geezers. Once I move from where I am, I lose the geezers and have only the partner and my work colleagues. Hopefully, after I retire, I can become more involved in my local community and take up so many of the hobbies and crafts that have fallen by the wayside because I have so little time. Working two jobs and the small farm take up so much of my life...
I apologize for being whiney. My partner plans on staying another night here, and his being here is a big cramp on my lifestyle.
Then continue to love where you are, but now make time to ENJOY that love, hon. If you can afford it....retire. Or at least, from the one job that takes up that time, so you CAN do all the things you said you want to do.

Now that I am done preaching..instead of hanging in the house where its warm..I think I am going to brave the cold and hit a few thrift shops with karma. Salvation Army folks know her already and eagerly await her visits, lol.
Here, I plan to be more social. Make friends. GET OUT and about. No hermity lifestyle here!

BBL!
Do you have enough warm clothes for their winter? You need sweaters, coat, gloves, hat even and a scarf. Maybe you'll feel better when you go out.
I do now, thanks to thrift shops. I wear TWO coats, TWO pairs of leggings over a pair of thermals, socks INSIDE my uggs, bought a pair of rain/snow boots for 4 bucks, more blankets for the bed, 4 scarves, 3 sets of gloves I wear over each other and tomorrow I am off to buy a beanie hat! We were very unprepared.:eek-52:

My gosh! How cold is it there?
Cold is relative, some people can wear shorts and a t-shit in 20 degree weather, someone else will be wrapped up like an Eskimo when it drops to 60 degrees.

For sure. GW is uncomfortable at what are comfortable temps for us, for instance. And we could keep the water in that swimming pool five degrees cooler in winter than we could in summer--to our patrons it felt warm when they came in from 20 degree weather outside. When coming in from 90 to 100 degree weather in the summer, the same temp felt freezing cold to them.

What's going on today? Computer gremlins are working overtime. I am sending emails between my two computers to work out how to fix the email account I usually use. But it seems doomed.
Not only that there is something wrong here too. I can't type properly

When we were in grade school the teacher would assign us to make a calendar. January was always a snowy scene with sledders, snow ball fights and snowmen. February gave way to either St. Valentine's Day with hearts and cupids or Lincoln and Washington's birthday with log cabins, cherry trees and American bunting.

March had kites and scenes of blustery weather. April was rainy as those April showers set up the next month's theme of blooming flowers.

Our March calendars are proving to be accurate interpretations of the month. The winds have picked up and anything not rooted in the soil or firmly attached to it is moving around rapidly across lawns and roadways. And I'm getting less confident in those things rooted in the soil now too.

A little more on Aunt Sis. She married my celebrated Uncle Ducky. Sis' maiden name was Call. She took great glee in telling everyone that Ducky married a Call girl. Sis served as a school lunch lady. She ruled kitchens where ever she went. Once, back in 1983, I visited her and Ducky in Florida. Sis immediately put me on K-P in her kitchen. She carried a wooden spoon like a totem or a scepter.

Calling to me from across the kitchen she said "Scotty! Open the door! These damn flies haven't been out all day!"

Sis lived to the ripe old age of 94, passing away three years ago. I miss her a lot.

Last edited:
Just got back from taking the wife to her OBGYN, thankfully they're taking her off the $430 every three month Femring and putting her on $4 a month Estradiol. The kicker will be she also has to have Estrace vaginal cream but at $230 a tube it will last for at least a year. :thup:

When we were in grade school the teacher would assign us to make a calendar. January was always a snowy scene with sledders, snow ball fights and snowmen. February gave way to either St. Valentine's Day with hearts and cupids or Lincoln and Washington's birthday with log cabins, cherry trees and American bunting.

March had kites and scenes of blustery weather. April was rainy as those April showers set up the next month's theme of blooming flowers.

Our March calendars are proving to be accurate interpretations the month. The winds have picked up and anything not rooted in the soil or firmly attached to it is moving around rapidly across lawns and roadways. And I'm getting less confident in those things rooted in the soil now too.

A little more on Aunt Sis. She married my celebrated Uncle Ducky. Sis' maiden name was Call. She took great glee in telling everyone that Ducky married a Call girl. Sis served as a school lunch lady. She ruled kitchens where ever she went. Once, back in 1983, I visited her and Ducky in Florida. Sis immediately put me on K-P in her kitchen. She carried a wooden spoon like a totem or a scepter.

Calling to me from across the kitchen she said "Scotty! Open the door! These damn flies haven't been out all day!"

Sis lived to the ripe old age of 94, passing away three years ago. I miss her a lot.
"Scotty! Open the door! These damn flies haven't been out all day!"

Sounds like my mom......

:rofl:

I don't have power either. I went out to get my license renewed and came back to STILL NO LIGHTS!!!!

Our trees around here are used to 50 mph winds. But when it gets up near and beyond hurricane force--and that sometimes happens here too--it can do some damage but not as much as one might think.

No wind today though and an absolutely perfectly beautiful day with glorious azure blue sky that New Mexico is famous for. So warm Hombre and I were shedding our light jackets when we went grocery shopping earlier.

Under a sky of azure
Where balmy breezes blow
Is Nuevo Mejico. . .

We have tall, thin trees on three sides of our house, as well as across the street. A few have fallen in the 7 or so years we've lived here, although thankfully none onto our house or the neighbors'. Still, those trees sway a lot when it gets windy, and I'm always worried one of the trees on the edges, closest to the house, will one day fall toward us. I don't know how much damage it would do, since they are very thin, but it would suck. :p

Under a sky of azure
Where balmy breezes blow
Is Nuevo Mejico. . .

We have tall, thin trees on three sides of our house, as well as across the street. A few have fallen in the 7 or so years we've lived here, although thankfully none onto our house or the neighbors'. Still, those trees sway a lot when it gets windy, and I'm always worried one of the trees on the edges, closest to the house, will one day fall toward us. I don't know how much damage it would do, since they are very thin, but it would suck. :p

What you are describing are probably poplar trees and those do have pretty shallow root systems plus they don't live all that long so will weaken in their old age. They are a problem with wind.

Forum List

Back