USMB Coffee Shop IV

Maybe I'm ready to retire? Lately, I my family, I miss the social milieu I once enjoyed. These last few years flew by, but my life has achieved an unvaried sameness that s beginning to wear on me.
You should, GW. Get another abode in a warmer clime so you can go back and forth. Spend time with the kidlets while you have mobility. Old age creeps up on ya much too fast. It hit me at 58 and I was still roaring to do things. Now...I wait for weather and my body to allow anything I do or any place I go.
I cannot imagine living in a warmer clime. I love it here. I am very happy that you and Mr. G found a place in a warmer clime, though. t get me wrong, you will always be welcome here, but it is cold. Doesn't bother dogs that much, but folks feel the change.
I'm tired of never having time for anything but work and chores. My social life includes my socially retarded partner and my geezers. Once I move from where I am, I lose the geezers and have only the partner and my work colleagues. Hopefully, after I retire, I can become more involved in my local community and take up so many of the hobbies and crafts that have fallen by the wayside because I have so little time. Working two jobs and the small farm take up so much of my life...
I apologize for being whiney. My partner plans on staying another night here, and his being here is a big cramp on my lifestyle.
Then continue to love where you are, but now make time to ENJOY that love, hon. If you can afford it....retire. Or at least, from the one job that takes up that time, so you CAN do all the things you said you want to do.

Now that I am done preaching..instead of hanging in the house where its warm..I think I am going to brave the cold and hit a few thrift shops with karma. Salvation Army folks know her already and eagerly await her visits, lol.
Here, I plan to be more social. Make friends. GET OUT and about. No hermity lifestyle here!

BBL!

Maybe I'm ready to retire? Lately, I my family, I miss the social milieu I once enjoyed. These last few years flew by, but my life has achieved an unvaried sameness that s beginning to wear on me.

Can you retire? Is the extra time for yourself that you would gain worth what it would cost you in material benefits? I think you're possibly past the midlife crisis phase--such is very real by the way--but if you are just bored, it is time to find a new hobby or interest that gives you something to look forward to.

But if you are finding yourself dreading each new day, then in my opinion, it is time for a change.
I plan on working a few more years where I am. Things are actually pretty good, and my staying in the town place while the partner (whose "disability") stays on the Willow farm to take care of animals will work out well. Someone has to clean up the hoarder paradise, and I know my partner will never be able to throw away all that trash. So, while I work, on my off time, I will have a Red Box delivered and fill as many as I need to. On weekends, I will go up to Willow to help get things set up there. If any of you has ever dealt with a hoarder, you will perhaps understand the depressing prospect I am faced with, cleaning up years of accumulated junk.
I look forward to retiring. I am planning on getting a few chickens in addition to my goats. I don't mind not travelling as much as I mind not having any discretionary free time.

You should, GW. Get another abode in a warmer clime so you can go back and forth. Spend time with the kidlets while you have mobility. Old age creeps up on ya much too fast. It hit me at 58 and I was still roaring to do things. Now...I wait for weather and my body to allow anything I do or any place I go.
I cannot imagine living in a warmer clime. I love it here. I am very happy that you and Mr. G found a place in a warmer clime, though. t get me wrong, you will always be welcome here, but it is cold. Doesn't bother dogs that much, but folks feel the change.
I'm tired of never having time for anything but work and chores. My social life includes my socially retarded partner and my geezers. Once I move from where I am, I lose the geezers and have only the partner and my work colleagues. Hopefully, after I retire, I can become more involved in my local community and take up so many of the hobbies and crafts that have fallen by the wayside because I have so little time. Working two jobs and the small farm take up so much of my life...
I apologize for being whiney. My partner plans on staying another night here, and his being here is a big cramp on my lifestyle.
Then continue to love where you are, but now make time to ENJOY that love, hon. If you can afford it....retire. Or at least, from the one job that takes up that time, so you CAN do all the things you said you want to do.

Now that I am done preaching..instead of hanging in the house where its warm..I think I am going to brave the cold and hit a few thrift shops with karma. Salvation Army folks know her already and eagerly await her visits, lol.
Here, I plan to be more social. Make friends. GET OUT and about. No hermity lifestyle here!

BBL!
Oh, working now means paying off a couple of bills. The truck payment and the mortgage on Willow are the two I am aiming for. I'm still too young to make much hay out of SS, but that will come soon enough. The idea is to set things up so I can afford to live on the retirement income. The farm should pay for itself, of course. The demand for free-range, non-GMO, non-processed food here is high. There are ways around government intrusion, and I am becoming more "educated".
Of all the things I miss doing, painting is the one thing I miss the most. I used to sell paintings, but haven't put brush to canvass in a very long time. I've even built a small studio into my latest storage shed. If the partner lasts long enough, I can foresee the time when I will spend far more time there than in the cabin.

Can you retire? Is the extra time for yourself that you would gain worth what it would cost you in material benefits? I think you're possibly past the midlife crisis phase--such is very real by the way--but if you are just bored, it is time to find a new hobby or interest that gives you something to look forward to.

But if you are finding yourself dreading each new day, then in my opinion, it is time for a change.
I plan on working a few more years where I am. Things are actually pretty good, and my staying in the town place while the partner (whose "disability") stays on the Willow farm to take care of animals will work out well. Someone has to clean up the hoarder paradise, and I know my partner will never be able to throw away all that trash. So, while I work, on my off time, I will have a Red Box delivered and fill as many as I need to. On weekends, I will go up to Willow to help get things set up there. If any of you has ever dealt with a hoarder, you will perhaps understand the depressing prospect I am faced with, cleaning up years of accumulated junk.
I look forward to retiring. I am planning on getting a few chickens in addition to my goats. I don't mind not travelling as much as I mind not having any discretionary free time.
As a Housing Inspector, I've seen my share of hoarders. Accumulated detritus stacked floor to ceiling, wall to wall.

The city stopped curbside recycling. So I have enough pasteboard boxes stacked up in the basement to keep Amazon busy for at least a few days. This Spring, item number 12 on my list of things I gotta do is clear them out of there.

I used to resent talk of retirement. I was trapped into thinking that I was the indispensable person and no one could possibly step into my position and know all the ropes. I thought I still had too much to do.

But lately I've come to realize that I didn't know all the ropes when I began. It takes years to know nearly everything, as well as a patina of age to lend credibility. Retirement sounds like a better idea with every ring of the morning alarm clock.

As a Housing Inspector, I've seen my share of hoarders. Accumulated detritus stacked floor to ceiling, wall to wall.

The city stopped curbside recycling. So I have enough pasteboard boxes stacked up in the basement to keep Amazon busy for at least a few days. This Spring, item number 12 on my list of things I gotta do is clear them out of there.

I used to resent talk of retirement. I was trapped into thinking that I was the indispensable person and no one could possibly step into my position and know all the ropes. I thought I still had too much to do.

But lately I've come to realize that I didn't know all the ropes when I began. It takes years to know nearly everything, as well as a patina of age to lend credibility. Retirement sounds like a better idea with every ring of the morning alarm clock.
Fact is, NoSmo, if we aren't training our replacement, we aren't doing our jobs. As I age, and my body starts to tell me I am doing so, I'd like to live for me, just for a little bit. I've built a future (of sorts) for my daughter and granddaughters, but I'd like just to enjoy friends and my life for what it is. I have worked so long for this leisure.

Well, ahem, as a former safety inspector, unless those boxes are broken down and tightly bundled, I would recommend you remove them sooner than later as they do present something of a fire hazard. Broken down and bundled, not so much. :)

It IS a great place. We are warm, can cook, have a great housemate, beautiful town. But..its not home. Maybe by springtime and summer, I will never want to leave here.:)

I'm sure you'll grow to love it. I miss some things about every place I've lived but eventually the new place becomes home. :)
I'm hoping this place doesn't become just like home to me.
I'll be in the hospital one more night. The alternative was 10 days in patient therapy. I really don't think the after-care lady was prepared for the guttural.laugh and obscene language when THAT was suggested

Please listen to them Ernie S. and do the best you can to follow their instructions.
I know of several people who didn't as the knee got stiff ,they had problems with their hips and later their backs ,because they had to walk with a limp of swinging their leg as they got older. All because they did not listen to the instructions. :)

I know it's going to be real hard for you to stay low for 4 weeks, please just be careful so that you give your knee the chance to heal correctly.
Think 4 weeks is short compaired to stiff or locked knee for 30 or so year's. :biggrin:

You folks talking about retirement... Let me tell you, I highly recommend it! I'm having a ball. I planned well for my retirement and am living the kind of lifestyle I am comfortable with and have plenty of time to do as I wish. Life is good. Retirement is good. If you've been thinking about retiring, go for it. You won't regret it.

BBL!
Oh, working now means paying off a couple of bills. The truck payment and the mortgage on Willow are the two I am aiming for. I'm still too young to make much hay out of SS, but that will come soon enough. The idea is to set things up so I can afford to live on the retirement income. The farm should pay for itself, of course. The demand for free-range, non-GMO, non-processed food here is high. There are ways around government intrusion, and I am becoming more "educated".
Of all the things I miss doing, painting is the one thing I miss the most. I used to sell paintings, but haven't put brush to canvass in a very long time. I've even built a small studio into my latest storage shed. If the partner lasts long enough, I can foresee the time when I will spend far more time there than in the cabin.
Bonsoir à vous, If I can say that I like very much to watch American Pickers and all his people who work on the farm in the united states it is not like here in France it is different, it is in family from generation to generation and There are keeping old cars, old objects, it is not like this here in France, it is the American way that I like so much :)

You folks talking about retirement... Let me tell you, I highly recommend it! I'm having a ball. I planned well for my retirement and am living the kind of lifestyle I am comfortable with and have plenty of time to do as I wish. Life is good. Retirement is good. If you've been thinking about retiring, go for it. You won't regret it.
I used to be retired

I used to be retired

It took us several attempts at retiring before we finally got it done. There was always just one more job or could you take this one more contract or so and so asked for you. So we kept the business in sort of closed but not quite mode for some time until we finally just shut down and declared ourselves retired.

17098355_1241793029207133_4892057449359487512_n.jpg

. If any of you has ever dealt with a hoarder, you will perhaps understand the depressing prospect
I am living with one now. But its not trash. Or junk. Just shitloads of STUFF. And worth some major bucks, I might add. Still, he needs to let most of it go. His mom was the same way. So two hoarders, one house and you have what we walked in to. It is a mess. And sad. Because the stuff he has? omg...if only he would slap it on craigslist, or consign it, or take more to his mall spaces (he has two). Alas..he hangs on to stuff that won't sell because its "vintage".
However, I do not plan to rock the boat. I just long to be able to reach stuff I can clean and dust and put back in a proper place for eye candy viewing because like I said..its GOOD STUFF. And I long to walk in each room without following the path of stacked goods on each side. Even his friends that came over to meet us told me to peck at him to get stuff gone and I said oh HAYELL no! Hes your friend, YOU pick at him! I don't want to be told to move!!!

. If any of you has ever dealt with a hoarder, you will perhaps understand the depressing prospect
I am living with one now. But its not trash. Or junk. Just shitloads of STUFF. And worth some major bucks, I might add. Still, he needs to let most of it go. His mom was the same way. So two hoarders, one house and you have what we walked in to. It is a mess. And sad. Because the stuff he has? omg...if only he would slap it on craigslist, or consign it, or take more to his mall spaces (he has two). Alas..he hangs on to stuff that won't sell because its "vintage".
However, I do not plan to rock the boat. I just long to be able to reach stuff I can clean and dust and put back in a proper place for eye candy viewing because like I said..its GOOD STUFF. And I long to walk in each room without following the path of stacked goods on each side. Even his friends that came over to meet us told me to peck at him to get stuff gone and I said oh HAYELL no! Hes your friend, YOU pick at him! I don't want to be told to move!!!
At least I have a long standing partnership (19 years). Any that might garner some money, will do so. It's just so much of his junk is just that.

Does anyone have a futuristix cassette to mp3 converter ? I have had one for years but I have never used it.
I read on the internet that the suppliers went bust so there is not much information about it. It says it works on old windows versions but that was before windows 10 and I don't want to install the software that comes with it because there are reports it has bugs even on the windows versions it was designed for.

I have been off my music for some time but recently started listening to it again, and I started buying CDs of my old records and tapes. But if I can convert my tapes to mp3 I can write them to CDs myself, thereby saving loads of money.

I used to be retired

Carry on working as long as you can. I retired years ago and I spend more time sleeping than waking.
I am up at 5am again but will soon crash and probably sleep till noon.

Does anyone have a futuristix cassette to mp3 converter ? I have had one for years but I have never used it.
I read on the internet that the suppliers went bust so there is not much information about it. It says it works on old windows versions but that was before windows 10 and I don't want to install the software that comes with it because there are reports it has bugs even on the windows versions it was designed for.

I have been off my music for some time but recently started listening to it again, and I started buying CDs of my old records and tapes. But if I can convert my tapes to mp3 I can write them to CDs myself, thereby saving loads of money.

I don't have a clue Dajjal. We have a turn table that we can play old records on but it hasn't been hooked up since we moved into this house. And the equipment can record a record we are playing to a cassette tape but who uses those any more? My 1995 Subaru still has a tape deck but you can't buy tapes so. . ..

And I don't buy the mp3's so don't really know how they work.

Didn't you say your roomie has a heart condition? I have a dear friend with a heart condition who has been semi invalid for some time now. And she spends most of her time scouring the internet or watching QVC or Home Shopping Network etc. on TV and ordering stuff. And she has most of her large, high value home full of stuff too--all new expensive stuff crammed into every room; many of the crates or boxes she hasn't even opened saying she'll do that when she feels better.

Another of her dear friends runs a psychology evaluation center--they do training with police and such when there have been too many shootings--and she says she studied up when we all got alarmed about our friend's behavior. She said this is fairly commom among people whose life is on hold--not a true hoarding syndrome but almost as bad except were not dealing with trash and junk but valuable stuff. Some people have bankrupted themselves when they became obsessed in this way.

I don't have a clue Dajjal. We have a turn table that we can play old records on but it hasn't been hooked up since we moved into this house. And the equipment can record a record we are playing to a cassette tape but who uses those any more? My 1995 Subaru still has a tape deck but you can't buy tapes so. . ..

And I don't buy the mp3's so don't really know how they work.

I have been reading you can use any cassette player that has an output port by plugging it directly into the computer sound card and using the software that comes with windows. But I am not doing anything until I am sure of what I am doing as it puts both your software and hardware at risk.

Forum List

Back