USMB Coffee Shop IV

Ugh, A&P II is looking like it will be a lot harder than A&P I. I don't yet have any reason to think I can't pass the class, but getting an A as I did last semester is starting to look unlikely.

On the other hand, at least I'm getting re-familiarized with algebra. Hopefully I can deal with that class's proctored exams.

I bet you'll do better than you think. You generally do.

I have less time this semester, and my A&P exams are apparently going to be based on a less specific set of information than last semester, making it harder to study for.

Got back to Ft Worth yesterday with temp at 98 degrees. Normally that's not bad but the humidity was 67% instead of a normal 40%.

I hear that. High humidity coupled with high temps in your part of the world is tough.

June is typically our hottest month though I don't think it was last year. In July we start getting the monsoon clouds that help keep the temperatures bearable but the humidity will still be some higher. But 40% humidity is high for us. Oddly enough our highest humidity month is usually December.

Last edited:
DSCN0397.JPG

I just grabbed this picture of fox cubs suckling.

View attachment 128175

The best of tonight's photos. I hope for better, but the buggers mostly wait until dusk before showing up.
Awww factor high!
When I am close to a fox den around here, in the wild, they smell a bit like skunk. Do your foxes have any distinctive odor?

I have never got close enough to the foxes to smell them, for one thing I take all my photos through the glass of a closed window. All I know about them is they are riddled with fleas, as they keep scratching.
Not surprising, the fleas. They do have a distinctive odor, and since we don't have skunks here, I recognize the fox smell. Bears also have a distinctive odor, one I pay attention to if I smell it, I assure you. I don't suppose you have bears there?

I would never go out if we had bears. But we do have a lot of foxes and I just saw four new cubs in a garden two doors up. They all ran into a new burrow when a seagull flew over. I am now wondering if the neighbour whose garden they are in will tolerate them. Next door put up with the foxes under their patio last year, but I am not sure the neighbours in the garden two doors up will endure their garden being torn up.
The photographing will be harder too because although I have a powerful zoom lens, the angle of view is limited.
We do have city bears here:
bears in the city anchorage - - Yahoo Video Search Results

Moose are worse. And right now, it's calving season here, lots of newborn moose and their very protective mothers.

View attachment 128175

The best of tonight's photos. I hope for better, but the buggers mostly wait until dusk before showing up.
Awww factor high!
When I am close to a fox den around here, in the wild, they smell a bit like skunk. Do your foxes have any distinctive odor?

I have never got close enough to the foxes to smell them, for one thing I take all my photos through the glass of a closed window. All I know about them is they are riddled with fleas, as they keep scratching.
Not surprising, the fleas. They do have a distinctive odor, and since we don't have skunks here, I recognize the fox smell. Bears also have a distinctive odor, one I pay attention to if I smell it, I assure you. I don't suppose you have bears there?

I would never go out if we had bears. But we do have a lot of foxes and I just saw four new cubs in a garden two doors up. They all ran into a new burrow when a seagull flew over. I am now wondering if the neighbour whose garden they are in will tolerate them. Next door put up with the foxes under their patio last year, but I am not sure the neighbours in the garden two doors up will endure their garden being torn up.
The photographing will be harder too because although I have a powerful zoom lens, the angle of view is limited.

Moose are worse. And right now, it's calving season here, lots of newborn moose and their very protective mothers.

That's like our elk. The bulls, especially the young ones, if they are feeling feisty, can be pretty aggressive but the cows, if they have a calf to protect, can be downright deadly. And you never know because the mother will stay some distance from the calf except when time to nurse so you never know when you're getting too close to where she has it hidden. In other words crossing a field on foot where elk are hanging out is not wise.

View attachment 128175

Awww factor high!

City bears.....yay, bears! But at the same time, oh shit! Bears! :lol:

Awww factor high!

City bears.....yay, bears! But at the same time, oh shit! Bears! :lol:
There really is no place in Alaska that isn't on the edge of wilderness. Anchorage is relatively large (as Alaskan cities go), but it is a small bowl surrounded by rugged, mountainous wilderness. Bears and moose often wander into more "urban" areas. Hell, a couple of years ago, a moose wandered downtown and got into a high rise building that featured some nice greenery. There was an automatic door, so when the moose checked things out, the door opened and the moose got a taste of high class greens. There are even some places where wolves are known to attack pet dogs while on "walkies".

Congrats to Sherry's son on his graduation tonight. Thinking of Mr & Mrs Peach tonight and hoping all is well.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Foxfyre's friend Dana and Aunt Betty,
Kat's sister,
GW's daughter, her friend Sachendra, and Sachendra's husband Bob and son Gary in what is probably Sachendra's last days.
Mrs. Saveliberty with her knee surgery.
The Gracies just because,
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Hossfly's knee surgery,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, Oddball, Spoonman, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, 007, and all others we hope will return.

929fd2c1c5efbfc6129774b557916797.jpg

I just took 22 pictures of the mother fox playing with two cubs, but 18 of them were not worth saving and the other four are not worth posting. And for that I had to get up at 5.30 am. Nature photography is hard work.

Good morning Dajjal and everybody. Just past 8 a.m. here but brilliant sunshine and looks to be great day. Will do a bit of housework this morning and shopping for our Memorial Day luncheon and a visit to decorate gravesites tomorrow instead of Monday.

Sherry's son Michael is graduating High School tonight. The boy is growing up......:)

Oh wow. It just seems like yesterday that he was going to middle school. That's really special.

He is a great kid. In the 2 1/2 years I have known Michael he has grown in so many ways. Sherry has done a wonderful job with him.

I just got done wrapping my presents for the little one's birthday next week. Unfortunately, I got her a skateboard (she'd been asking for one), but my employer got her a hoverboard a few days ago. I feel as though the skateboard will be superfluous now. :p

I just got done wrapping my presents for the little one's birthday next week. Unfortunately, I got her a skateboard (she'd been asking for one), but my employer got her a hoverboard a few days ago. I feel as though the skateboard will be superfluous now. :p

Then again, maybe not so much. Two different things.

Then again, maybe not so much. Two different things.

I'm hoping the skateboard will be good when the hoverboard breaks. :lol:

Forum List

Back