USMB Coffee Shop IV

12:39 and it's already 105 F.
I don't want to look out the window at 2:00 or 3:00 when it reaches it peak, but I know I will. :biggrin:

Well you are in the Sonoran desert. And like us, June is typically your hottest month. Like your area, Albuquerque is high desert though at more than 1500 feet higher elevation than Benson. Nobody has ever decided whether we are at the northern edge of the Chihuaha desert or the southern edge of the Colorado plateau--we share characteristics of both. Pretty much Albuquerque is its own unique area not precisely sharing a climate with nearby areas in any direction.

At 2 p.m. it is a pleasant 83 degrees here--thinking about finding a sweater (j/k) and I doubt we'll make it to the 90 we are forecast today. And tomorrow is supposed to be a bit cooler. So hopefully our heat wave is over and we'll settle into the high 80's/low 90's that are quite livable for a high desert summer.

We are under an extreme heat wave which is typical right before the Monsoons.
I glad I'm not in Phx. it's 115 there right now.
We have a few members here on the board from that area.
One of Mr P's cousins lives there, right now they are on their boat where its cooler.

More detailed here for the areas.
Our fear is dry heat fires when it's like this. We already had lighting fires with the smoke settling in our valley. Everyone is suffering from allergies , because of it.
Weather Alerts

Local sunset 8:56 pm. The summer solstice, our longest day. I just spent a few moments out on the North Lawn watching the fireflies. A good crop of fireflies this year.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by them, as most kids are. Light, actual light from a bug flying at kid height, flying slowly. Take a mayonnaise jar, a Phillips screwdriver and a hammer. Punch holes in the lid of the jar using the screwdriver and hammer. Get scolded by Pop for misusing the screwdriver and hammer. Then Pop helps you catch the mfireflies. So,e scolding.

I didn't take any notice of a pattern between the fireflies, or lightening bugs as they are called in these parts. I noticed that one firefly on the ground would blink. Those hovering above would then blink back. Seven or eight of them at a time would respond to the one on the ground. I'm not an entomologist but I'm imagining the ground based bug to be a female and her suitors are the ones fluttering above. I don't know for sure. Maybe it's just the romantic in me to think so.

I sat in the twilight's last gleaming, the sky golden in sunset, clouds drifting by like the tall ships in New York harbor at the Bicentennial. No breeze to disturb the fireflies and, incredibly, no mosquitoes.

God but I do love summertime.
Solstice here means it never really gets nighttime at all. It gets twi-lighty for about 15-20 minutes but the sun only dips briefly below the horizon. Now, the days will begin getting shorter and night will once more take over an increasing portion of our lives.
How hard is it maintaining a regular sleep schedule? Since the temperatures have been running in the mid sixties overnight, I keep the bedroom windows open and the roman shade drawn up to catch the breezes. With the shade up, the dawn's early night is a natural alarm clock.
I personally have a pretty weird sleep schedule. I work graves four nights a week but sleep OK on my days off. If I'm sleeping the night, I'll get up at 0800 or 0700 (or close to that), depending on DST. Other people who lead a more normal life get used to sleeping in the light, or working in the dark during the winter. You can usually tell the newcomers (Cheechako) because they put tin foil on the bedroom windows during the summer, at least the first couple of years. I suppose a lot has to do with just getting used to the climate and the light fluctuations. Most people I've known either love Alaska, or they hate it.

Hello everyone, In France we have a heatwave in several departments in my region for 5 days the temperatures in the day are 38 ° and the morning 22 ° we are Knock Out but I see on TV that California is much worse with températures in the 50 ° at some place
Several power cuts have been reported across California, with the population increasingly using air-conditioning units, which puts the power grid beyond its capabilities. Several fire starts have also been recorded in the state, particularly in the San Bernardino National Forest.

In Death Valley, one of the hottest places on the planet, a temperature of 54 ° C (130 ° F) was recorded.
And to think, we're holding around 15C and suffering a heat wave. It's almost too hot to work, and I sleep in a sweat!

15 C? A heat wave? Really? Here in late June on the high desert, I hope you understand it's really hard to work up a lot of sympathy for you GW, but I'll try. :)
I sympathize with you, really. I cannot imagine trying to do anything in the heat you guys have been living with. I'd be a melted little grease spot on the shadiest place I could find.

Our fear is dry heat fires when it's like this. We already had lighting fires with the smoke settling in our valley. Everyone is suffering from allergies , because of it.
Weather Alerts

At just after 4 p.m. here, we are in typically the hottest part of the day and the temperature registers 89 degrees so looks like we'll hit that 90 after all. But I don't mind that for summer highs. Yours however, I couldn't cope with well. At least here on the high desert, even in the Arizona extremes, it almost always cools down at night. Otherwise it wouldn't be bearable.

Hello everyone, In France we have a heatwave in several departments in my region for 5 days the temperatures in the day are 38 ° and the morning 22 ° we are Knock Out but I see on TV that California is much worse with températures in the 50 ° at some place
Several power cuts have been reported across California, with the population increasingly using air-conditioning units, which puts the power grid beyond its capabilities. Several fire starts have also been recorded in the state, particularly in the San Bernardino National Forest.

In Death Valley, one of the hottest places on the planet, a temperature of 54 ° C (130 ° F) was recorded.
And to think, we're holding around 15C and suffering a heat wave. It's almost too hot to work, and I sleep in a sweat!

15 C? A heat wave? Really? Here in late June on the high desert, I hope you understand it's really hard to work up a lot of sympathy for you GW, but I'll try. :)
I sympathize with you, really. I cannot imagine trying to do anything in the heat you guys have been living with. I'd be a melted little grease spot on the shadiest place I could find.

We all get acclimated to wherever we live. :)
I would be freezing with your temps.

Weather Alerts

At just after 4 p.m. here, we are in typically the hottest part of the day and the temperature registers 89 degrees so looks like we'll hit that 90 after all. But I don't mind that for summer highs. Yours however, I couldn't cope with well. At least here on the high desert, even in the Arizona extremes, it almost always cools down at night. Otherwise it wouldn't be bearable.

Still at 105.
Looks like they were right for a change eh? :lol:

Local sunset 8:56 pm. The summer solstice, our longest day. I just spent a few moments out on the North Lawn watching the fireflies. A good crop of fireflies this year.

When I was a kid I was fascinated by them, as most kids are. Light, actual light from a bug flying at kid height, flying slowly. Take a mayonnaise jar, a Phillips screwdriver and a hammer. Punch holes in the lid of the jar using the screwdriver and hammer. Get scolded by Pop for misusing the screwdriver and hammer. Then Pop helps you catch the mfireflies. So,e scolding.

I didn't take any notice of a pattern between the fireflies, or lightening bugs as they are called in these parts. I noticed that one firefly on the ground would blink. Those hovering above would then blink back. Seven or eight of them at a time would respond to the one on the ground. I'm not an entomologist but I'm imagining the ground based bug to be a female and her suitors are the ones fluttering above. I don't know for sure. Maybe it's just the romantic in me to think so.

I sat in the twilight's last gleaming, the sky golden in sunset, clouds drifting by like the tall ships in New York harbor at the Bicentennial. No breeze to disturb the fireflies and, incredibly, no mosquitoes.

Solstice here means it never really gets nighttime at all. It gets twi-lighty for about 15-20 minutes but the sun only dips briefly below the horizon. Now, the days will begin getting shorter and night will once more take over an increasing portion of our lives.
How hard is it maintaining a regular sleep schedule? Since the temperatures have been running in the mid sixties overnight, I keep the bedroom windows open and the roman shade drawn up to catch the breezes. With the shade up, the dawn's early night is a natural alarm clock.
I personally have a pretty weird sleep schedule. I work graves four nights a week but sleep OK on my days off. If I'm sleeping the night, I'll get up at 0800 or 0700 (or close to that), depending on DST. Other people who lead a more normal life get used to sleeping in the light, or working in the dark during the winter. You can usually tell the newcomers (Cheechako) because they put tin foil on the bedroom windows during the summer, at least the first couple of years. I suppose a lot has to do with just getting used to the climate and the light fluctuations. Most people I've known either love Alaska, or they hate it.
Personally, I'd love to see Alaska. The Northern Lights have always intrigued me. That must be wondrous.

Maybe Alaska, like the upper Ohio River valley is one of those places that one would love to visit, but not live there. But, to me, the Ohio Valley is wonderful to live in, but I wouldn't recommend visiting!

Personally, I'd love to see Alaska. The Northern Lights have always intrigued me. That must be wondrous.

Maybe Alaska, like the upper Ohio River valley is one of those places that one would love to visit, but not live there. But, to me, the Ohio Valley is wonderful to live in, but I wouldn't recommend visiting!

When we vacationed in Alaska, and then cruised from Seward to Vancouver, there were several things on my bucket list to do. Three we didn't get to do. I wanted to see and photograph Denali and we were at a resort hotel in Talkeetna with Alaska's very best view of Denali in all of Alaska, but it was so foggy we couldn't see beyond the deck. I wanted to see the northern lights but we had cloud cover the entire time we were there. And I wanted to see a moose in the wild. Didn't happen.

Oh and on our daughter's bucket list was seeing the Kodiak bears and we had a float plane reserved to do that, but again the weather didn't cooperate. They said they could get us out there but probably wouldn't be able to get us back.

But it was our very best vacation ever and I would love to do it all over again.

Lots of people visit. You can tell the tourists from the locals because we're in t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops and the tourists look like they're preparing for an Arctic expedition. I would recommend you visit at least once, and try to come in late-May, early-June. The weather is usually great, the views clear, and the locals aren't burned out from answering such gems as: "You do take American money, don't you?", "How high above sea-level are we? (As they disembark from their cruise ship.), "When do the moose (bears, goats, sheep, etc) come out?", even better: "Where is the best place to see moose, etc?)" AgainSheila and Mr. Again came through last year. Their cruise ship docked in Anchorage and they had the day for themselves. I was thrilled to take them on a mini-tour away from Anchorage. Really, if you've seen on medium-sized city with a tourist zone, you've seen them all. I had a great time with them. I'd be glad to visit with anyone else from the CS who might show up someday, too! I like showing off Alaska.

When we vacationed in Alaska, and then cruised from Seward to Vancouver, there were several things on my bucket list to do. Three we didn't get to do. I wanted to see and photograph Denali and we were at a resort hotel in Talkeetna with Alaska's very best view of Denali in all of Alaska, but it was so foggy we couldn't see beyond the deck. I wanted to see the northern lights but we had cloud cover the entire time we were there. And I wanted to see a moose in the wild. Didn't happen.

Oh and on our daughter's bucket list was seeing the Kodiak bears and we had a float plane reserved to do that, but again the weather didn't cooperate. They said they could get us out there but probably wouldn't be able to get us back.

But it was our very best vacation ever and I would love to do it all over again.
Flying is always iffy because it is so weather sensitive. My best place to see moose is down around the airport. They hang out down there often. Another good place to see them (for those who can hike a bit), is up in the Chugach mountains just above Anchorage. Especially during the rut, when the bulls are battling, that area just outside of Anchorage is super for moose-viewing.

Well, I did the dumb thing...again.
I've been watching this one bold kitten, one of four belonging to my favorite barn cat. He's sassy and outgoing, not afraid of much, and yesterday I observed him nomming a mouse! Today, he was out hunting while his litter mates were huddled around mom. But I didn't get that one.
There was a smaller guy, all by himself. He's the last of his siblings because the new tom in town took both the others, killed, and partially ate them. I'm guessing this little fella's mom was able to move him in time, but it's only a reprieve until this wanna-be dad-cat finds and eliminates this one, too. This one's young enough I was able to pick him up without getting shredded and bring him up to the house. He's had his first feeding and is now closely examining the "facilities" furnished with his temporary box home. I put a shirt of mine in with him, so he'll get used to my smell. I'll take him to the vet asap and make sure he's healthy.

Well shit now what?
FAN7J8MNB96R80SO-v1-fram640x414x640x414xxxx

Morning everybody!

Hubby took a good friend up to the VA in Tucson this morning for outpatient sholder surgery, they had to be there at 6:00 a. m. :eek-52: !
It's great that he can return the favor because he was there for us when hubby had his heart attack.

Mean while, I'm here at the home front while the roof guys are here fixing the drain pipe and roof tiles that got damaged from a huge dust devil that came through here and right over our house. Their like mini tornados ya know. :)

Your husband's health is really remarkable.

It's his positive attitude as well as the remarkable way his body was able to recuperate although it took a little longer than most. He had less than 15% of his heart working to begin with and they gave him a 20% chance of him living overnight when he was
admitted the day of Jan. 8th.

According to the Doc's he should be in a wheelchair from his MS and should have needed oxygen with less than 10 to 15% of the heart working, but he has remained in the high 98 to 99% this entire time. They are still baffled by it and can't explain it. :biggrin:

The power of prayer with all of our wonderful different denominational churches and others here on this board is the miracle. :)

We do what we can.

This house has a "water fall" in the yard with a small pool, man-made, it's about 2 1/2 feet in diameter and about 1 /12 feet deep with stacked rocks behind it and a pump to run the water up so as to form a waterfall. This morning I went out and noticed the pool was half empty with the front flat rocks and ground wet...... Pretty sure we have a local raccoon or two.........

Well crap.
I had my algebra proctored exam scheduled for noon today. Last night, the website through which our math gets done went down for maintenance. That sucked because it meant I couldn't study, but I went through the entire practice exam before that happened and I got a 96.

I got up at 10:00 this morning, figuring I'd give myself time for my normal morning routine and some time to go over the practice exam before the real exam. Because the site that we use didn't come back from the maintenance before I went to sleep, I wanted to check on it first thing. Well, I turned on my PC, but the internet was down. That, of course, is horrible when taking online classes. I went into the living room to check on the router, and it needed to be reset. A couple of minutes and the internet is working again, great. I go to my school website, and to my algebra class, and click on the link for our coursework. The loading icon comes up, great! That wasn't happening during the maintenance last night. So I wait......and wait......and wait. Just the loading icon.

I go to the server status page for Pearson, the company that runs the website we use for our algebra work (and my A&P textbook), and while the servers aren't down, they do have disrupted service.

I am worried about this being an issue during my proctored test, so I go to reschedule. I ended up having to pay more to reschedule my exam for tomorrow evening. It wasn't a lot, but it's still annoying.

Hopefully the Pearson servers will be back to normal by then. I can't take the test without them functioning.

This house has a "water fall" in the yard with a small pool, man-made, it's about 2 1/2 feet in diameter and about 1 /12 feet deep with stacked rocks behind it and a pump to run the water up so as to form a waterfall. This morning I went out and noticed the pool was half empty with the front flat rocks and ground wet...... Pretty sure we have a local raccoon or two.........

I've never seen any in this neighborhood. About the only wildlife around here are birds, including a roadrunner now and then, and lizards.

Good morning everybody. A very comfortable 69 at our house this morning and I'm loving it. We have the front door wide open and I'm even just a wee bit chilly here at my desk. We aren't supposed to get out of the high 80's today and that is wonderful.

Need to make my desert for lunch with Aunt Betty today. A good day in store.

Forum List

Back