USMB Coffee Shop IV

What comes around, goes around. While anecdotal here, we recognize that eagles prey on cats, small dogs, and even baby goats.
eagle feeds eaglets a cat - - Yahoo Video Search Results
Yikes!

While I've seen a hawk's shadow send squirrels and chipmunks scurrying, I never worried about my fourteen pound miniature poodle. But we have Eagles here too nesting out around the state park.

Daisy and I will be sticking close to home.
Hmmm, I dunno, 14 lbs is pretty heavy. Goat kids are usually around 6 lbs when born. But when you see an eagle dive and grab a 14-10 lb salmon...well, I guess I'd be cautious if there are eagles about.
When I was deer hunting back East from stands, the squirrels would raise holy hell whenever they spotted me, but like you've noted, as soon as a hawk's shadow passed over, the hairy rats ran for cover and gave some peace.

Pretty big fish here.

But I bet he/she didn't fly with it. . .I watched some catch the big salmon in Alaska but they swam or dragged it through the water to shore. Eagles are surprisingly good swimmers. But again I am no expert on bald eagles. I just know that a fully grown cat or a dog the size of a big cat or larger doesn't have much, if anything, to fear from the golden eagles or red tails. Kittens or other small prey, yes.
Lifting Capacity of Eagles - Hancock Wildlife Foundation

A great horned owl now. . .that I would watch but it is highly unlikely they would attack if you're near your pet. . .and they hunt at dusk/night. They are big birds - 3 to 4 pounds - and it is said they can lift two to three times their weight. I have not witnessed that though.
Owls are prone to attacking people, too.
owls attack humans - - Yahoo Video Search Results
Eagles RULE!
owls attack people - - Yahoo Video Search Results

I suppose an owl would attack if she felt her nest was threatened but I have not had that experience. We have been chased by eagles who thought we were too close to the nest. And we watched as Harriet and M-1 successfully fought off birds of prey who went after their eaglet.

I'm down to 1 last proctored exam for the semester. It appears that the proctor site also refunded me for the A&P I session I mistakenly scheduled. :D

Now I just have to hope my algebra final becomes available soon. I have to take it Wed or Thur, it's not on the proctor site yet, and it costs extra if I schedule a test with less than 3 days notice. :(

On the plus side, I got another 100 on my 4th algebra exam today, giving me a 99 for the course with just the final left. I feel foolish for getting 100s on all my proctored tests, but not getting 100s on all of my quizzes, where I can use outside sources. :p

Good morning America, it's 5am British time and I am not sleepy.

Morning, It's 7 o'clock in Moscow and I'm preparing wheat porridge to eat it with sausages and fermented cabbage and go to job :) I intend to visit job early, than usually, because I plan to free my evening... If I wouldn't get an urgent tasks...

Hi Sbiker I had a small apple pie and a cup of tea at 5 am. Then went on twitter.

Hi, it's very tasty, but I cannot produce apple pie independently... When I live alone, I like to be some days fully inside home, not to have shopping and social activity, and preparing food from what I can find in refrigerator... But I never prepared apple pie yet :))))

We're going to see the movie Dunkirk this weekend. It has gotten good reviews. I'll let you folks know what we think. :)

I saw the trailer and I want to see a film. Maybe, strategically it wasn't successful or glory operation, but it don't cancel heroism of a simple soldiers... It remember me my grand-grand-pa, who was murdered, being fighting in 295 regiment near the Moscow.. It was a terrible story, regiment was completely destroyed and it's flag was found only in 2007 in swamp. They died, but didn't lose flag to Germans...

Ok. Here's and up-date. Mrs. BBD bought me one of those wild Hawaiian shirts and insist that I wear it to the Paradise Cove Luau tonight. I've got it on. This shirt is going to create some lively conversations when I get back home to rural Illinois. Some folks back home may not know me but they will sure see me coming! Today is Saturday. Only two more full days here in Hawaii before we leave for home next Tuesday. Have had a great time. Hate to leave but all good things must come to an end.

Ok. Here's and up-date. Mrs. BBD bought me one of those wild Hawaiian shirts and insist that I wear it to the Paradise Cove Luau tonight. I've got it on. This shirt is going to create some lively conversations when I get back home to rural Illinois. Some folks back home may not know me but they will sure see me coming! Today is Saturday. Only two more full days here in Hawaii before we leave for home next Tuesday. Have had a great time. Hate to leave but all good things must come to an end.

We're going to see the movie Dunkirk this weekend. It has gotten good reviews. I'll let you folks know what we think. :)

Please do. Hombre especially likes historically based war movies and I enjoy them too.

Hey Foxy....

Sherry, my stepson, and I saw Dunkirk today. I wish I could give it a great review but I cannot. The film conveys the horror and chaos of war well, but all three of us were disappointed in the lack of character development. You do not even know the name of the protagonist as an example. The British soldiers are generally depicted as confused or cowardly. There is no moral center to the film.

The battle of Dunkirk was really about the amazing courage of the British people, but that is completely ignored until the very end.

Basically.....as Shakespeare said....full of sound and fury....signifying nothing. And it's a shame because Hacksaw Ridge from last year was a great movie. So was Unbroken and Saving Private Ryan back int he day. But those movies contained characters you cared about. Dunkirk does not imho.

Last edited:

I saw the trailer and I want to see a film. Maybe, strategically it wasn't successful or glory operation, but it don't cancel heroism of a simple soldiers... It remember me my grand-grand-pa, who was murdered, being fighting in 295 regiment near the Moscow.. It was a terrible story, regiment was completely destroyed and it's flag was found only in 2007 in swamp. They died, but didn't lose flag to Germans...

Your grand-grand-pa was a true hero. So was much of the British populace during WWII. The Movie Dunkirk should have been about this. Sadly...it was not.

Well, looks like sometime very near the end of next month I'm going to pull out for a couple weeks in Montana. Been almost 30 years since I left there, and that was the second time I lived after I got out of the AF. Just a sin I haven't been back in all these years. Montana is one of my all time favorite states, and with family there I should be spending a lot more time there.

Please do. Hombre especially likes historically based war movies and I enjoy them too.

Hey Foxy....

Sherry, my stepson, and I saw Dunkirk today. I wish I could give it a great review but I cannot. The film conveys the horror and chaos of war well, but all three of us were disappointed in the lack of character development. You do not even know the name of the protagonist as an example. The British soldiers are generally depicted as confused or cowardly. There is no moral center to the film.

The battle of Dunkirk was really about the amazing courage of the British people, but that is completely ignored until the very end.

Basically.....as Shakespeare said....full of sound and fury....signifying nothing. And it's a shame because Hacksaw Ridge from last year was a great movie. So was Unbroken and Saving Private Ryan back int he day. But those movies contained characters you cared about. Dunkirk does not imho.

Thanks WQ. A good report and appreciated. So few of the new movies out do a good job of character development or even story telling any more. Its all sold via gratuitous sex, violence, profanity and special effects.

Hombre and I have been watching old war movies - a 10 movie collection on 3 DVDs this weekend--"10 Movies War Collection"--this weekend. So far all have been of great quality, color, sound, with great story lines, strong characters, star quality actors and acting. Really cheap through Amazon and well worth the money. No perks, extra features, or closed caption but really good.

When is your surgery scheduled again Hossfly? And I think these pics would be appropriate for your post too. :)

4ef2c72c3cc260e7885663ed9efc42a7.jpg
hawaiian-dog-names-pup-on-hawaiian-vacation.jpg

Last edited:
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Ernie!!!
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Kat & Mr. Kat in transition,
Hossfly's knee surgery,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana!!!! (Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant.)
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder,
ricechickie's injured shoulder
Special prayers and/or positive thoughts for Mr. Peach and Peach143 in the coming days and wellness for them both.
And for our job hunters.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, SFC Ollie, AgainSheila, Ridgerunner, and all others we hope will return.

New-Stunning-HD-Wallpapers_040.jpg

Last edited:

Your grand-grand-pa was a true hero. So was much of the British populace during WWII. The Movie Dunkirk should have been about this. Sadly...it was not.

Actually the movie Dunkirk, filmed in 1958 was much better.

Hey Foxy....

I thought Hacksaw Ridge was OK, but not on the level of Saving Private Ryan. I haven't seen Unbroken. I'll probably wait for DVD for Dunkirk; I don't go to the theater that often.

As an aside, I was just reading yesterday that the French are outraged that they were left out of the movie altogether. They had such a critical role in the evacuation, how could the screen writer/director have left them out and have any kind of historical film?

As an aside, I was just reading yesterday that the French are outraged that they were left out of the movie altogether. They had such a critical role in the evacuation, how could the screen writer/director have left them out and have any kind of historical film?

You are correct. The French were basically completely ignored. We did not get it either. I understand the French complaint.

A bunch of the French got killed yes.

So putting that in would be just as outrageous as leaving it out.

Forum List

Back