USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have experienced tornados up close and personal enough I wouldn't want to be that close again. I have experienced blizzards and blinding sand storms and haboobs, torrential rains, floods, wild fires close enough to be scary, 20 foot waves around a cruise ship, and extreme cold, extreme heat, and extreme drought. But never a hurricane. That may or may not be on my bucket list before I die.

I swear I had PTSD from Isabel when it hit Richmond in 2003. Two trees barely missed our house. We were without power for 11 days. The entire State of Virginia was devastated.

This is a pic of that Hurricane. It covered the entire State. Foxy......I still shudder.

1200px-TRC4isabel261_G12.jpg
The day after Isabel hit we flew out of Dullas to Colorado, only had a few branches down with downed leaves everywhere.

And that is the problem. The authorities do everything they can to encourage the people to protect their property and then take these things really seriously, obey the evacuation orders, etc. and save as many lives as possible. And then when it doesn't turn out to be more than a bad thunderstorm, we all breathe a sigh of relief that there was little property damage and lives weren't in serious danger. . .but. . .

. . . when the next system approaches, will people take it so seriously?
With the massive growth, hence a large influx of clueless city dwellers in Florida, getting them out is best. As for evacuation then little to nothing...... oh yeah, that will result in some complacency as well as some distrust in storm forecasts.

May the guardian angels be watching over Florida tonight and tomorrow. It now looks more like Tampa will be in the bullseye more than Miami. Tampa hasn't had a major hit in more than a century.

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Hossfly's knee rehab,
007's brother-in-law for a full recovery,
Saveliberty in difficult transition, his daughter, and for his brother-in-law and family,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, , SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

hurricane-irma-satellite-1101am-abc-jt-170909_16x9_992.jpg

Last edited:
It is just before 8am and we're getting ready to bug out to higher ground. Everyone in the potential in the path of this storm stay safe. Whenever we have power restored, we'll let you know how things went. I expect power will be down at least until the latter part of the week.
Higher ground in Florida means an overpass..........

Stay safe!!

It is just before 8am and we're getting ready to bug out to higher ground. Everyone in the potential in the path of this storm stay safe. Whenever we have power restored, we'll let you know how things went. I expect power will be down at least until the latter part of the week.

We will be thinking of you and yours WQ. Please be safe. Update us if and when you can.

I'm watching the news right now, and I'm really surprised more reporters don't get killed when covering storms like this.
One can only hope.........

(Was that too out there?)

:dunno:

Yes. :)

But I know what Chris means. I hope those young reporters standing out there in the storm are all volunteers and get combat pay or something. I appreciate the reporting, but I sure wonder about the wisdom of putting them at that kind of risk.

Higher ground in Florida means an overpass..........

Stay safe!!

In some parts you're right. They are predicting 15-20' storm surge at worst though and northern Florida is a whopping 300 feet or more above sea level. So I'm hoping WQ, Sherry, and family are headed there. But much of northern Florida is also going to be in the eye of the hurricane too so . . .

Tampa elevation ranges from below sea level to roughly 100 feet and I think Sherry and WQ live fairly close to there.

Last edited:
And let's not forget the risks for Montrovant and the other good folk in Georgia on probably Monday. The state of emergency counties are pretty extensive and hurricane force winds could reach as far north as Atlanta.
SOE-new.jpg_web.jpg

And let's not forget the risks for Montrovant and the other good folk in Georgia on probably Monday. The state of emergency counties are pretty extensive and hurricane force winds could reach as far north as Atlanta.
SOE-new.jpg_web.jpg

I am right next to the list of SoE counties. I'm in Coweta county, almost on the west border, touching the counties that are in SoE.

We're still not expected to get wind past 35 mph. It's all about how much rainfall we get. I'm not worried at the moment, but I'll be keeping the idea of moving my electronics upstairs in mind tomorrow. :p

SOE-new.jpg_web.jpg

I am right next to the list of SoE counties. I'm in Coweta county, almost on the west border, touching the counties that are in SoE.

We're still not expected to get wind past 35 mph. It's all about how much rainfall we get. I'm not worried at the moment, but I'll be keeping the idea of moving my electronics upstairs in mind tomorrow. :p
Just keep and inflatable dingy downstairs.

Well crap. If we lose power here, I won't be using my Kobo ereader. The damn thing crapped out on me today. I was reading a book last night with no troubles. Today, when I turn on the ereader, it says there are no books on it. That includes the 100 free books that came with it. I screwed around with it for quite a while, trying to figure out the problem. Eventually I reset it to factory defaults. Not only did that not help, but the files that originally came on the ereader are gone now, too. At the moment it is completely worthless. I can't add books myself that show up, I can't use their desktop program to add books, I can't use Calibre to add books. None of the books I put on show up.

I just ordered a battery for my Kindle, in the hopes that fixes it. I've actually got it plugged in and charging at the moment; when I took it out of the box, it turned on after I popped the back off to make sure what model battery it uses. I'll see if I can use the Kindle for the next week or so until the new battery shows up, and hope the new battery gets it working the way it did.

I put in a ticket with Kobo to see if they can help, but if the Kindle works with the new battery, I'm just going back to that. If the Kindle doesn't work and the Kobo still doesn't work, I'll probably just spend the $80 on a new Kindle.

It had had a few issues, but I was mostly satisfied with the Kobo. I haven't even had it for a month and it screws itself up? :mad:

Well crap. If we lose power here, I won't be using my Kobo ereader. The damn thing crapped out on me today. I was reading a book last night with no troubles. Today, when I turn on the ereader, it says there are no books on it. That includes the 100 free books that came with it. I screwed around with it for quite a while, trying to figure out the problem. Eventually I reset it to factory defaults. Not only did that not help, but the files that originally came on the ereader are gone now, too. At the moment it is completely worthless. I can't add books myself that show up, I can't use their desktop program to add books, I can't use Calibre to add books. None of the books I put on show up.

I just ordered a battery for my Kindle, in the hopes that fixes it. I've actually got it plugged in and charging at the moment; when I took it out of the box, it turned on after I popped the back off to make sure what model battery it uses. I'll see if I can use the Kindle for the next week or so until the new battery shows up, and hope the new battery gets it working the way it did.

I put in a ticket with Kobo to see if they can help, but if the Kindle works with the new battery, I'm just going back to that. If the Kindle doesn't work and the Kobo still doesn't work, I'll probably just spend the $80 on a new Kindle.

It had had a few issues, but I was mostly satisfied with the Kobo. I haven't even had it for a month and it screws itself up? :mad:

I don't know about Kobo but Amazon saves all your stuff for your Kindle so that it will be downloaded to your new one. I love my Kindle Fire.

I don't know about Kobo but Amazon saves all your stuff for your Kindle so that it will be downloaded to your new one. I love my Kindle Fire.

It's not a matter of losing my books. Other than the 100 free books that came with the Kobo, that's not a problem for me; I keep copies of my books on my computer. Unfortunately, the Kobo just doesn't recognize the fact that there are books on it anymore. It always says there are no books.

I am keeping an eye on ebay for cheap Kindles. I am not a big fan of touchscreen anyway, so I would probably prefer an older Kindle version, and if I can find a new one for sale, I might do that. Or I might wait for the battery to arrive and see if that fixes the issue I have with my old Kindle (other than the buttons on the right side no longer working, a battery probably won't fix that).

I don't mind too much when electronics go bad after years of use, but after less than a month is unacceptable. :p

Caught up...again. Sorry I missed your BD, Peach. Nice to know Ernie has his emergency procedures in place. A bit shout out to my bestie, Gracie!
It's unseasonably warm here, but if the precipitation keeps up, we'll have one helluva snow season. Tuesday night brought some tremendous wind storms and I spent most of Wednesday morning dragging stuff back up out of the woods. After the ladder blew up against the house, I didn't sleep much. Although our puny wind reached only 50-70 bursts, it was still unusually strong. It's rained so much and the poor goats are wading through knee deep mud. I will be glad when I get them moved to the Willow place. It's lots drier and nicer there.

If I had to choose between too much rain--at least rain that isn't of Houston proportions--and the fires, I would choose the rain. The fires from surrounding states have been funneling smoke into our area. The air conditioner pumped so much smoke into the house a couple of nights ago I went out to make sure we weren't on fire. And I hope Alaska gets a good snow season this year and winter temps return to normal on the Bering Sea and the Arctic Ocean.
Rain doesn't bother me, but the goats get stressed out and the pen they live in right now is a natural drainage that gets very mucky when the weather is wet. I'm looking forward to moving them to Willow, where the ground is much less muddy and miserable. Poor things tend to get foot rot, too, when it gets too persistently wet.
Wow, I wasn't aware there were fires that close to you, but I suppose smoke in the quantities I've read about could travel quite far.

Forum List

Back