USMB Coffee Shop IV

Caught up...again. Sorry I missed your BD, Peach. Nice to know Ernie has his emergency procedures in place. A bit shout out to my bestie, Gracie!
It's unseasonably warm here, but if the precipitation keeps up, we'll have one helluva snow season. Tuesday night brought some tremendous wind storms and I spent most of Wednesday morning dragging stuff back up out of the woods. After the ladder blew up against the house, I didn't sleep much. Although our puny wind reached only 50-70 bursts, it was still unusually strong. It's rained so much and the poor goats are wading through knee deep mud. I will be glad when I get them moved to the Willow place. It's lots drier and nicer there.

If I had to choose between too much rain--at least rain that isn't of Houston proportions--and the fires, I would choose the rain. The fires from surrounding states have been funneling smoke into our area. The air conditioner pumped so much smoke into the house a couple of nights ago I went out to make sure we weren't on fire. And I hope Alaska gets a good snow season this year and winter temps return to normal on the Bering Sea and the Arctic Ocean.

Tonight I would guess many of us are sending our thoughts to Florida and our friends and loved ones and everybody else in the path of the storm. If current projections are accurate, pretty much the entire state will be affected as well as Georgia and southern South Carolina.

SFC Ollie's sister is in Miami as are some of our shirttail relatives. And the Tampa area won't likely escape some of Irma's wrath so let's hope Sherry and WelfareQueen and their family are safe.

And Jose is also out there in Irma's wake.

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Hossfly's knee rehab,
007's brother-in-law for a full recovery,
Saveliberty in difficult transition, his daughter, and for his brother-in-law and family,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, , SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Space Station shot this evening (click on photo to see larger image):

irma-1024x576.jpg

I installed the battery in my Harley yesterday and the beast fired right up. A new front tire and I will take my first ride in over 6 months. Liz wants desperately to get some wind in her hair, so about a week to feel sure of myself, and I'm thinking a road trip is in my future.

Any destination in mind? I am assuming that Liz is the new lady friend?
Liz is... well, at this point, a lady friend. I am currently uncommitted. This all could change, but I'm enjoying being single right now. As far as a destination, I'm thinking I'll know when I get there.
If I have a passenger, it will likely be a weekend in New Orleans, if not, it might be Houston via Baton Rouge. There are, as they say, plenty of fish.
I'm thinking you took a pass on Houston?
Actually not quite ready to head out yet and the woman I'd visit in Houston works for FEMA.

I installed the battery in my Harley yesterday and the beast fired right up. A new front tire and I will take my first ride in over 6 months. Liz wants desperately to get some wind in her hair, so about a week to feel sure of myself, and I'm thinking a road trip is in my future.

Liz is... well, at this point, a lady friend. I am currently uncommitted. This all could change, but I'm enjoying being single right now. As far as a destination, I'm thinking I'll know when I get there.
If I have a passenger, it will likely be a weekend in New Orleans, if not, it might be Houston via Baton Rouge. There are, as they say, plenty of fish.
Actually not quite ready to head out yet and the woman I'd visit in Houston works for FEMA.

To you and Montrovant , if they are right re current trajectory,. you will escape the brunt of the storm and Montro will just get a lot of rain. There doesn't seem to be anything more do than hope those in the bullseye will have the good sense to evacuate and to pray the storm moves quickly so that the damage will be somewhat less.

To you and Montrovant , if they are right re current trajectory,. you will escape the brunt of the storm and Montro will just get a lot of rain. There doesn't seem to be anything more do than hope those in the bullseye will have the good sense to evacuate and to pray the storm moves quickly so that the damage will be somewhat less.

I worry a bit about flooding here. The house is at the bottom of a small hill. However, it is sort of like being on a stair: from the road, you go down a small hill to get to the house. The house is on relatively level ground. At the back of the backyard, there is another small hill going down. So, while we might get extra water at the house because of the hill in front, we also might drain some excess water down the hill in the back.

There is a little pond/lake maybe 100 yards past where the backyard goes down in the small hill. If there's enough rain, that might overflow, I suppose. I don't think we'll be getting the amount of rain for that to be a big danger for our house, though.

I'm pretty sure my mother is in NY now, rather than in her home near Jacksonville, but my father lives in Tampa, and my sister is there. In my 20+ years in Tampa, there may have been 1 hurricane that was actually still a hurricane when it got to Tampa; the place just doesn't get the brunt of bad storms. Even without a direct hit, though, flooding is still a danger.

Tonight I would guess many of us are sending our thoughts to Florida and our friends and loved ones and everybody else in the path of the storm. If current projections are accurate, pretty much the entire state will be affected as well as Georgia and southern South Carolina.

SFC Ollie's sister is in Miami as are some of our shirttail relatives. And the Tampa area won't likely escape some of Irma's wrath so let's hope Sherry and WelfareQueen and their family are safe.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Hossfly's knee rehab,
Saveliberty in difficult transition, his daughter, and for his brother-in-law and family,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, , SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

irma-1024x576.jpg

Thank you as always for the well wishes Foxy. The heart of Irma is supposed to go right over our house. We are not in danger of storm surge....we are far enough inland....but the wind is scary.

I grew up in Virginia and I have experienced many hurricanes in my life, including prolonged category 1's going right over my home in Richmond for many hours.

We will stay with Sherry's family in a well built cinder block house. It should be able to withstand a category 4. If not, we have an alternative safety plan. We'll be okay, and are about as well prepared as we can be.

For those of you who who not been through this....imagine hearing the sound of an incredibly loud locomotive...the loudest you've ever heard in your life....roaring around your home for 8-12 hours. Not fun I can promise you. The fear is tree(s) falling on your house or a projectile hitting your house going 130 mph.

We will no doubt be without power for many days. As soon as we are able to log on after the storm we'll check in. Foxy, thank you again for the good thoughts.

I worry a bit about flooding here. The house is at the bottom of a small hill. However, it is sort of like being on a stair: from the road, you go down a small hill to get to the house. The house is on relatively level ground. At the back of the backyard, there is another small hill going down. So, while we might get extra water at the house because of the hill in front, we also might drain some excess water down the hill in the back.

There is a little pond/lake maybe 100 yards past where the backyard goes down in the small hill. If there's enough rain, that might overflow, I suppose. I don't think we'll be getting the amount of rain for that to be a big danger for our house, though.

I'm pretty sure my mother is in NY now, rather than in her home near Jacksonville, but my father lives in Tampa, and my sister is there. In my 20+ years in Tampa, there may have been 1 hurricane that was actually still a hurricane when it got to Tampa; the place just doesn't get the brunt of bad storms. Even without a direct hit, though, flooding is still a danger.

At its current trajectory, Tampa is in the red zone for Irma so it is a concern. But weather projections can be pretty iffy in these things. I talked with friends in Pensacola yesterday and they aren't even under any weather warnings so hoping Ernie and Kat, just west of there, will also be in the clear now.

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Hossfly's knee rehab,

irma-1024x576.jpg

Thank you as always for the well wishes Foxy. The heart of Irma is supposed to go right over our house. We are not in danger of storm surge....we are far enough inland....but the wind is scary.

I grew up in Virginia and I have experienced many hurricanes in my life, including prolonged category 1's going right over my home in Richmond for many hours.

We will stay with Sherry's family in a well built cinder block house. It should be able to withstand a category 4. If not, we have an alternative safety plan. We'll be okay, and are about as well prepared as we can be.

For those of you who who not been through this....imagine hearing the sound of an incredibly loud locomotive...the loudest you've ever heard in your life....roaring around your home for 8-12 hours. Not fun I can promise you. The fear is tree(s) falling on your house or a projectile hitting your house going 130 mph.

We will no doubt be without power for many days. As soon as we are able to log on after the storm we'll check in. Foxy, thank you again for the good thoughts.

Thank for the update while you can still give one WQ. We'll be thinking about you. Hope you stocked up on plenty of water and flashlight batteries and eat-out-of-the box food. It shows to probably be down to a Cat 2 by the time it gets to you, but that is still plenty scary.

I have experienced tornados up close and personal enough I wouldn't want to be that close again. I have experienced four feet of snow, blizzards, blinding sand storms and haboobs, torrential rains, floods, wild fires close enough to be scary, 20 foot waves around a cruise ship, and extreme cold, extreme heat, and extreme drought. But never an earthquake or a hurricane. That may or may not be on my bucket list before I die.

Last edited:

At its current trajectory, Tampa is in the red zone for Irma so it is a concern. But weather projections can be pretty iffy in these things. I talked with friends in Pensacola yesterday and they aren't even under any weather warnings so hoping Ernie and Kat, just west of there, will also be in the clear now.

I have been thinking about both of them as well. Kat and Ernie, please be safe. I expect you guys will get some of this mess also. Storm surge is the biggest worry.

Stay safe. :)

I have experienced tornados up close and personal enough I wouldn't want to be that close again. I have experienced blizzards and blinding sand storms and haboobs, torrential rains, floods, wild fires close enough to be scary, 20 foot waves around a cruise ship, and extreme cold, extreme heat, and extreme drought. But never a hurricane. That may or may not be on my bucket list before I die.

I swear I had PTSD from Isabel when it hit Richmond in 2003. Two trees barely missed our house. We were without power for 11 days. The entire State of Virginia was devastated.

This is a pic of that Hurricane. It covered the entire State. Foxy......I still shudder.

1200px-TRC4isabel261_G12.jpg

I have been thinking about both of them as well. Kat and Ernie, please be safe. I expect you guys will get some of this mess also. Storm surge is the biggest worry.

Stay safe. :)

Currently the west end of the panhandle and Alabama aren't under any weather watches at all much less a hurricane or storm surge watch, but these thing can fool the experts so I hope they are keeping a close watch on it.

I have experienced tornados up close and personal enough I wouldn't want to be that close again. I have experienced four feet of snow, blizzards, blinding sand storms and haboobs, torrential rains, floods, wild fires close enough to be scary, 20 foot waves around a cruise ship, and extreme cold, extreme heat, and extreme drought. But never an earthquake or a hurricane. That may or may not be on my bucket list before I die.

I was on Long Island during a supposed hurricane in the early 80s....I remember standing outside our little apartment wondering what the fuss was about, while watching the TV that was on through the door.

In Tampa, the storms just never did much where I lived. One year there was a bit of overflow from the Hillsborough river, but that's about it for the entire time I was there.

I've avoided pretty much all of the really severe weather to this point. Where I am now, the most likely possibility of severe weather danger is probably a tornado. :dunno:

Foley should be good, other than all the folks heading this way from Florida. Traffic on Interstate 10 was a nightmare last night and only expected to get worse.
Doc Holliday's is across the road from the National Guard Armory. They have been moving troops (80 or 90) to Pensacola NAS for deployment to Florida. By 4 PM there had been 8 UH-60 flights. The first one landed just before opening time, maybe 8:55. I went to the door to watch and another one came in. The wind from its rotors blew open the back door and I swear! Every blade of grass I cut Friday morning ended up on the floors and newly refinished bar top.
We got out of there at about 5:30 this morning and the place was spotless; no small feat after out highest grossing night ever. Thankfully 15 minutes with a broom and another 10 with a damp towel and we were up to our impeccable standards.
When I say impeccable, I mean it. We are the cleanest bar in Baldwin County and it's a safe bet we are the cleanest in the State of Alabama. After 10 Health inspections, we have scored 100% 9 times with one 99%.
I took part of the night off and I took a date to The Black Jacket Symphony at Saenger Theater in Mobile. BJS is a touring company with several core members and other musicians picked for the particular music of the tour. Last night's show was Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. A GREAT show; very faithful to the material and in some respects better than John Paul George and Ringo did it 50 years ago.
The first set was the complete album and after an intermission, they did about 45 minutes of other Beatles work, culminating with Hey Jude. By the end of that one, the audience was on their feet singing, at times drowning out the band.
My date surprised me with her knowledge of the Fab Four until I realized that her mom is about 6 months older than I am. Yes I went out with a woman 25 years my junior. I found it refreshing to date a woman closer to my own age. :D

I have experienced tornados up close and personal enough I wouldn't want to be that close again. I have experienced blizzards and blinding sand storms and haboobs, torrential rains, floods, wild fires close enough to be scary, 20 foot waves around a cruise ship, and extreme cold, extreme heat, and extreme drought. But never a hurricane. That may or may not be on my bucket list before I die.

I swear I had PTSD from Isabel when it hit Richmond in 2003. Two trees barely missed our house. We were without power for 11 days. The entire State of Virginia was devastated.

This is a pic of that Hurricane. It covered the entire State. Foxy......I still shudder.

The day after Isabel hit we flew out of Dullas to Colorado, only had a few branches down with downed leaves everywhere.

The day after Isabel hit we flew out of Dullas to Colorado, only had a few branches down with downed leaves everywhere.

We lost a giant elm in our front yard and a huge oak in the back. The oak in the back went through the power lines our fences and hit our deck. It brushed up against the house but no damage. Hearing those trees come down in the middle of the storm has interesting.

Our neighborhood really got nailed, but really the entire city did.

And that is the problem. The authorities do everything they can to encourage the people to protect their property and then take these things really seriously, obey the evacuation orders, etc. and save as many lives as possible. And then when it doesn't turn out to be more than a bad thunderstorm, we all breathe a sigh of relief that there was little property damage and lives weren't in serious danger. . .but. . .

. . . when the next system approaches, will people take it so seriously?

We lost a giant elm in our front yard and a huge oak in the back. The oak in the back went through the power lines our fences and hit our deck. It brushed up against the house but no damage. Hearing those trees come down in the middle of the storm has interesting.

Our neighborhood really got nailed, but really the entire city did.
The power was out when we left for the airport, my neighbor told me it came on a few hours later. Northern Virginia really only saw some wind and lots of rain, we weren't too worried about it up there besides I'm been through too many hurricanes and typhoons in my life to worry over a little aftereffects.

Forum List

Back