USMB Coffee Shop IV

Finished a project at a church Friday. I removed all the wood mulch as it was six inches higher than the stamped concrete walk. I replaced it on the outside half with stone. Prior to that I removed about 10 overgrown bushes. The result is a much cleaner look with less maintenance needed. The lady who hired me wants me to go to church Sunday so people can meet the person who transformed the garden. I have mixed feelings about that. As a Lutheran we are kind of against clapping in church or undue praise for doing God's work. Still, it would definitely lead to more work. Very conflicted.

Go to church.

Always good advice. Did I mention they are Methodists? They want me to bid on another project already. Remove two trees and some very invasive grasses, add a similar stone where the grass is and add a paver edging. Another landscape company bid $5,000. They were doing a bunch of unnecessary work, so I think mine will be more like $2,200.

Sounds like a good thing to me.

Finished a project at a church Friday. I removed all the wood mulch as it was six inches higher than the stamped concrete walk. I replaced it on the outside half with stone. Prior to that I removed about 10 overgrown bushes. The result is a much cleaner look with less maintenance needed. The lady who hired me wants me to go to church Sunday so people can meet the person who transformed the garden. I have mixed feelings about that. As a Lutheran we are kind of against clapping in church or undue praise for doing God's work. Still, it would definitely lead to more work. Very conflicted.

Go to church.

Always good advice. Did I mention they are Methodists? They want me to bid on another project already. Remove two trees and some very invasive grasses, add a similar stone where the grass is and add a paver edging. Another landscape company bid $5,000. They were doing a bunch of unnecessary work, so I think mine will be more like $2,200.

The church is one block off the main street through town. The visibility is awesome. It is a growing area, unlike the town I live in.

Go to church.

The church is one block off the main street through town. The visibility is awesome. It is a growing area, unlike the town I live in.

I go to church once in a while but I am not particularly religious more spiritual. I miss that community bonding sometimes.

You don't have to clap, do you? I'd go and enjoy the chow, they no doubt have pastry and coffee afterwards, don't they?

It's still a house of God isn't it? What do the outer trappings matter? If you are praised then redirect it to where it belongs even if you do so silently.

Last edited:

Definitely do not want to sound preachy, but I have always heard that we should...

keep-calm-and-make-a-joyful-noise-1.png

It's still a house of God isn't it? What do the outer trappings matter? If you are praised then redirect it to where it belongs even if you do so silently.
That is what I did today. Went to a house blessing I was invited to. It was kind of weird. The people were all from her "center" is what they call it instead of "church", and the blessing was a mishmash of paganish, druidish christianish hinduish congomerates of this and that. Spritzing holey water from Mt Shasta, a church or two, one of the lakes here..along with tibetian bell clanging along with a abalone shell with sage burning in it and some salt to toss hither and yon. It reminded me of voodoo but more light white cleansing instead of the dark and foreboding most voodoo images up. They asked me afterwards if I was uncomfortable and I said no..not really..but I appreciated them letting me NOT do the hand wavings and other things they asked the group to do. I was respectful but did not want to worship a bowl on a table surrounded by what I mentioned above.
However, Housemate made some contacts there since he went with me. MrG said hell no..he was staying home. So yeah..go, SL. Housemate got some new clients!!!

Sherry was the lady I worked with directly on the project. I think she will be an effective advocate for me with church members. I have no problem with Methodists, we all grew out of the Reformation (500th anniversary this year). In God's house, He deserves all the praise, a landscaper does not. Just happy Sherry has gotten a lot of positive feedback on the work.

That is what I did today. Went to a house blessing I was invited to. It was kind of weird. The people were all from her "center" is what they call it instead of "church", and the blessing was a mishmash of paganish, druidish christianish hinduish congomerates of this and that. Spritzing holey water from Mt Shasta, a church or two, one of the lakes here..along with tibetian bell clanging along with a abalone shell with sage burning in it and some salt to toss hither and yon. It reminded me of voodoo but more light white cleansing instead of the dark and foreboding most voodoo images up. They asked me afterwards if I was uncomfortable and I said no..not really..but I appreciated them letting me NOT do the hand wavings and other things they asked the group to do. I was respectful but did not want to worship a bowl on a table surrounded by what I mentioned above.
However, Housemate made some contacts there since he went with me. MrG said hell no..he was staying home. So yeah..go, SL. Housemate got some new clients!!!
Nothing like making sure all you bases are covered if you're not sure, heh?

Nothing like making sure all you bases are covered if you're not sure, heh?

Definitely do not want to sound preachy, but I have always heard that we should...

keep-calm-and-make-a-joyful-noise-1.png
Every time I eat Mexican I eventually make a noise or ten....... I find it joyful and refreshing.......

Go to church.

I was born and raised Methodist. Hombre and I chose a different denomination two weeks before we married as a compromise between our somewhat different church backgrounds. But I am still quite comfortable in a Methodist Church and also a Lutheran Church. And I don't think you'll find a whole bunch of difference at least in the services themselves.

I concur with the others. At this juncture, unless you know it is wrong as in evil, go where you are led. :)

Special thoughts and prayers for those dealing with the terrible fires tonight and sending some healing vibes for drifter's and gallantwarrior's colds.

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
007's brother-in-law for a full recovery,
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Comfort to Mrs. Saveliberty & family in the loss of her brother,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in Florida
Fall-into-the-Beach.jpg

I was born and raised Methodist. Hombre and I chose a different denomination two weeks before we married as a compromise between our somewhat different church backgrounds. But I am still quite comfortable in a Methodist Church and also a Lutheran Church. And I don't think you'll find a whole bunch of difference at least in the services themselves.

I concur with the others. At this juncture, unless you know it is wrong as in evil, go where you are led. :)

I have felt led ever since I left the dealership Foxfyre. I have made more in landscaping in four months than I did in five at the dealership. Losing weight, enjoying the work and being generally less stressed were side benefits. Just when I think I'll run out of work, more jobs come along and many have been from people I know at various churches. Even this late in the season I have a half dozen projects to do. Not bad for almost no advertising and a late start to the year. It really feels like God is watching. Only letting me fall so far before offering a hand.

Still, the stability of a regular set work schedule, health insurance, coworkers and known paycheck would be nice.

I have felt led ever since I left the dealership Foxfyre. I have made more in landscaping in four months than I did in five at the dealership. Losing weight, enjoying the work and being generally less stressed were side benefits. Just when I think I'll run out of work, more jobs come along and many have been from people I know at various churches. Even this late in the season I have a half dozen projects to do. Not bad for almost no advertising and a late start to the year. It really feels like God is watching. Only letting me fall so far before offering a hand.

Still, the stability of a regular set work schedule, health insurance, coworkers and known paycheck would be nice.

Having been in business for myself, I fully understand the discomfort of uncertainty, most especially when the work is seasonal or most especially when you provide a service that people don't have to utilize and don't utilize so much during recessions.

But since you (and I) aren't as comfortable living with uncertainty, I know something will turn up for you. Sometimes we have to go through a good deal of discomfort before we arrive at where we are supposed to be. Until then we'll just keep supporting with our prayers and/or positive vibes and hope you can enjoy where you are now during the transition.

Having been in business for myself, I fully understand the discomfort of uncertainty, most especially when the work is seasonal or most especially when you provide a service that people don't have to utilize and don't utilize so much during recessions.

But since you (and I) aren't as comfortable living with uncertainty, I know something will turn up for you. Sometimes we have to go through a good deal of discomfort before we arrive at where we are supposed to be. Until then we'll just keep supporting with our prayers and/or positive vibes and hope you can enjoy where you are now during the transition.

I have had only a dozen or less nights where I get up and can't sleep for a while. The people I work for as customers have been much more appreciative than my prior boss. The money is better and I like to construct positive things, which this summer has allowed. Also, more time to do family events and the MENSA test would have never happened with the old schedule. As primary bread winner, I want Mrs. Liberty to have health insurance and a good life.

I have had only a dozen or less nights where I get up and can't sleep for a while. The people I work for as customers have been much more appreciative than my prior boss. The money is better and I like to construct positive things, which this summer has allowed. Also, more time to do family events and the MENSA test would have never happened with the old schedule. As primary bread winner, I want Mrs. Liberty to have health insurance and a good life.

And I do appreciate that I have not ever been required to be the primary bread winner so that is a stress I have not had to endure. And I appreciate where you are on that.

Forum List

Back