USMB Coffee Shop IV

Picked up some local made green chili salsa....... When the label says 'hot' it ain't kidding.
I love salsa. I usually check delis in stores for different kinds of fresh stuff. I prefer that over anything that's been cooked. But I even mix them.

Funny that I've never had the green stuff. Is it much different tasting then the regular salsa?

Picked up some local made green chili salsa....... When the label says 'hot' it ain't kidding.
I love salsa. I usually check delis in stores for different kinds of fresh stuff. I prefer that over anything that's been cooked. But I even mix them.

Funny that I've never had the green stuff. Is it much different tasting then the regular salsa?
Yup, definite difference in taste, not bad just different. All chilies are picked green but some are hung in the sun to finish ripening to become red chilies. The argument still rages (and probably always will) as to which is hotter, red or green, it's a matter of which chili variety it is, not what color it is. For salsa all chilies are roasted and peeled first then mixed to make the different salsas. Here in New Mexico chili is a state past time, if the wait staff doesn't automatically ask if you want "red or green" then you're not in a New Mexican restaurant......... :lol:
The big thing in New Mexico is who has the best green chili burger, something I need to start looking into and doing my own taste testing. :D Oh they even make an apple-green chili pie that is a favorite of many, right now all the grocery stores are selling green chili everything.

An older gentleman stopped his car by me while I was walking the dog yesterday afternoon, and we proceeded to have a conversation for a few minutes. He had seen me walking the dog on numerous occasions, apparently, always with a book in hand, and felt the desire to comment on it. I'm not very social, and certainly not likely to start a conversation with a stranger if it isn't necessary, but I'm also willing enough to talk to a stranger if they begin things and aren't boring the crap out of me. :p

After perhaps 5 minutes of talking, and finding out that the man had moved into a house that was recently built in the neighborhood, he drove away and I went down to see what the little one was doing. She asked who I was talking to, and my employer said maybe I had a secret friend. :lol: I don't have any friends that live nearby, and only see friends for a weekend every few months, so the idea that I have been secretly hanging out with someone was especially funny to the little one. :p

Well, October has handed in its two week notice. The month that brings the last balmy days will soon be replaced by chilly, rainy November. November with Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving and the modern holidays of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The unofficial yet oddly official kickoff to the Christmas shopping season. Oy!

There was a discernible nip in the air today. Though sunny, the wind was from the north and temperatures struggled to break the sixty degree mark. The autumn color has yet to peak, unusual for mid October. Since the leaves have yet to fully change color, they have also failed to fall from the trees.

That sweet aroma of wet leaves decaying mixed with the pungent smell of piles of leaves smoldering is missing from this time of year. But, then again, there are lots of aromas missing around here. The smell of coal furnaces in every home is gone. The acidic odors or steel mills is also gone. The sulfuric smell of coke plants no longer fouls the air. Exhaust from diesel locomotives has replaced the smell of coal fired trains.

They say your memory is in your nose. I say my olfactory memory bank is no longer as overloaded as it was in my long gone youth.
It gets worse as we go back in time............ Specifically if one lived in a city......
I am an avowed fan of New York City. There are smells that are there and no other place in America. The Dirty Water hot dog vendors heat that dirty water by charcoal as propane would present too great a danger. But they burn something other than the Kingsford briquettes used around here. That weird charcoal smell, as well as some food borne viruses yet to be identified, makes those little carts unique. Of course the subway with its exotic mixture of underground funk, urine and steampipes make travel in the five boroughs a memorable experience.

I wouldn't go anywhere NYC if I were paid millions of dollars. Too many people.

*shudder*

Well, October has handed in its two week notice. The month that brings the last balmy days will soon be replaced by chilly, rainy November. November with Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving and the modern holidays of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The unofficial yet oddly official kickoff to the Christmas shopping season. Oy!

There was a discernible nip in the air today. Though sunny, the wind was from the north and temperatures struggled to break the sixty degree mark. The autumn color has yet to peak, unusual for mid October. Since the leaves have yet to fully change color, they have also failed to fall from the trees.

That sweet aroma of wet leaves decaying mixed with the pungent smell of piles of leaves smoldering is missing from this time of year. But, then again, there are lots of aromas missing around here. The smell of coal furnaces in every home is gone. The acidic odors or steel mills is also gone. The sulfuric smell of coke plants no longer fouls the air. Exhaust from diesel locomotives has replaced the smell of coal fired trains.

They say your memory is in your nose. I say my olfactory memory bank is no longer as overloaded as it was in my long gone youth.
It gets worse as we go back in time............ Specifically if one lived in a city......
I am an avowed fan of New York City. There are smells that are there and no other place in America. The Dirty Water hot dog vendors heat that dirty water by charcoal as propane would present too great a danger. But they burn something other than the Kingsford briquettes used around here. That weird charcoal smell, as well as some food borne viruses yet to be identified, makes those little carts unique. Of course the subway with its exotic mixture of underground funk, urine and steampipes make travel in the five boroughs a memorable experience.
New York City is a complete sensual experience I've only been on the periphery of........ Thankfully.......... Jersey was bad enough.

New York City is a complete sensual experience I've only been on the periphery of........ Thankfully.......... Jersey was bad enough.
Take I-95 from Newark to Camden and experience tenth grade chemistry class all over again. The first few miles smell of burning styrofoam cups. Then the odor of vinyl floor tile mastic takes over. Soon you pass an animal fat rendering plant! Yummy! Sulfur, vinegar, sweat socks, smoldering white wall radial tires, a sewage treatment plant or two and finally a municipal landfill and you're in Camden.

Take I-95 from Newark to Camden and experience tenth grade chemistry class all over again. The first few miles smell of burning styrofoam cups. Then the odor of vinyl floor tile mastic takes over. Soon you pass an animal fat rendering plant! Yummy! Sulfur, vinegar, sweat socks, smoldering white wall radial tires, a sewage treatment plant or two and finally a municipal landfill and you're in Camden.
Nah, we were advised eons ago to avoid Camden at all costs, was told it would be safer to travel west to Saint Louis, northeast to Detroit then down to Newark but only if it was a life or death need to go to Newark........... And the people giving us the advice couldn't think of anything that would constitute a life or death need to visit Newark. :eusa_whistle:

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
007's brother-in-law for a full recovery,
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Comfort to Mrs. Saveliberty & family in the loss of her brother,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in Ohio
Autumn-in-Oklahoma-at-Beavers-Bend-State-Park.jpg

After a couple of years of nagging from Mrs. BBD, I had an appointment with an audiologist yesterday. Mrs. BBD claims my hearing is terrible and I don't hear half of what she is saying. So, I sat through all of the testing and low and behold, my hearing is really very bad. In the near future I will be sporting a hearing aid in both ears. The audiologist says that after I get used to them I will be able to hear an ant peeing 50 yards away. We shall see... Anyway, I suppose at this point I am an official member of the old folks club.

I suppose green chile is an acquired taste, and I can't speak for that grown outside of New Mexico, but Hatch green chile grown in the Mesilla Valley in the southern part of the state, pretty much the only chile used in New Mexico, is considered the world's finest. And I have yet to find anybody who doesn't like it. And yes, it tastes different from red chile and most especially the bottled chile powder that is commercially marketed throughout the country. Green chile is commonly used as a staple here--it is roasted and then peeled and served with all manner of Spanish, Mexican, New Mexican, southwestern cuisine. Whole roasted and peeled green chiles are included in hamburgers, on eggs, just about everything.

Green chile can be as mild as any food is mild or so hot it is inedible to most of us. (We learn to ask the waiter at restaurants how hot the chile is that day. If it is really hot chile, then we request it be served on the side so that we can partake more moderately. Even the milder chile can really have a bite to those not used to the cuisine though.

New Mexico is the only state in the union with an official state question: "Red or Green?" meaning which chile do you want with your order of course. And those who enjoy the special flavor of both will sometimes answer "Christmas" meaning they want both red and green chile on their enchilada.

*shudder*

New York City is on my bucket list of places I would like to visit before I die though. I have never been anywhere in the northeast. Our son will be performing at Kennedy Center next spring and is pretty excited about that. Wish we could be there.

I suppose green chile is an acquired taste, and I can't speak for that grown outside of New Mexico, but Hatch green chile grown in the Mesilla Valley in the southern part of the state, pretty much the only chile used in New Mexico, is considered the world's finest. And I have yet to find anybody who doesn't like it. And yes, it tastes different from red chile and most especially the bottled chile powder that is commercially marketed throughout the country. Green chile is commonly used as a staple here--it is roasted and then peeled and served with all manner of Spanish, Mexican, New Mexican, southwestern cuisine. Whole roasted and peeled green chiles are included in hamburgers, on eggs, just about everything.

Green chile can be as mild as any food is mild or so hot it is inedible to most of us. (We learn to ask the waiter at restaurants how hot the chile is that day. If it is really hot chile, then we request it be served on the side so that we can partake more moderately. Even the milder chile can really have a bite to those not used to the cuisine though.

New Mexico is the only state in the union with an official state question: "Red or Green?" meaning which chile do you want with your order of course. And those who enjoy the special flavor of both will sometimes answer "Christmas" meaning they want both red and green chile on their enchilada.

Every time we go to El Paso, one of our neighbors will ask us to stop in Hatch and bring them some peppers. The guy is a gourmet cook and won't use anything except Hatch peppers.

*shudder*

New York City is on my bucket list of places I would like to visit before I die though. I have never been anywhere in the northeast. Our son will be performing at Kennedy Center next spring and is pretty excited about that. Wish we could be there.
NYC is on my bucket list to avoid at all costs...... So far so good. :thup:

Just looking at a recipe for green chili and beef burritos........

Too bad the wife doesn't like spicy or cumin. Maybe it's time to trade her in for a New Mexican bride. :dunno:

Last edited:
The audiologist says that after I get used to them I will be able to hear an ant peeing 50 yards away.

My father medically retired from his job of being a Trainman after 44 years of service because of his hearing... He was fitted for hearing aids in both ears... Unfortunately he never was able to enjoy much of his hearing as he found the hearing aids so uncomfortable and cumbersome he wore them in his pocket about 90% of the time...

Every time we go to El Paso, one of our neighbors will ask us to stop in Hatch and bring them some peppers. The guy is a gourmet cook and won't use anything except Hatch peppers.

Hey now....the strong smell of urine is the subway is a selling point. :)

alg-east-8th-trash-jpg.jpg

Forum List

Back