USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Saveliberty's brother-in-law,
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Dalia, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

November's full moon this weekend isn't quite a super moon but comes very close. The beaver moon is the second largest of the year.
autumn_full_moon_by_dheej18-d4irgs1.jpg
That is one beautiful, sensual, mood shot, FF. TY. ;)

I think I shall never, ever, get over thinking of freedombecki. She is in my heart.

Special thoughts for the good people of Sutherland Springs

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Dalia, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

The waning moon is still impressive rising in the autumn sky.

1524.jpg

At last the autumn colors are here. Nearly half our trees have already unspectacularly lost their foliage but the hold outs are finally showing their stuff. Oaks in particular are especially showy with the sugar maples bursting out in vibrant golds. My own Trompenberg maple on the north lawn swapped its deep red feathery leaves for dazzling orange.

Meanwhile St. Clair Avenue remains closed from the junction with Avondale Street to Walnut Street in front of the Nazarene Church. St. Clair is the main north/south street in town. It rises from The Diamond, the town square at the intersection of Sixth, Market and Dresden all the way up the steep hill and then out to the suburb of Calcutta.

There is a concrete retaining wall that holds Ray Street from falling onto St. Clair. Or rather, there was a retaining wall. It developed a nasty crack and has outlived its design life. The WPA built it during the Great Depression and it has served the community well until this passed summer. So the city fathers declared it must be replaced and closing the main artery had to be done to accommodate the demolition. Ray Street will now dead end and a new wall is being built.

The detour has been shown to be clumsy for north side commuters trying to get downtown. Traffic has been diverted to Avondale Street which is narrower and, believe it or not, even steeper than St. Clair Avenue is.

Of course getting downtown is one thing, but being downtown has changed a lot in the past sixty odd years. There was a time, before shopping malls and online shopping, when downtown was the only practical means of commerce. There were four theaters; The State Theater with a balcony and deep red velvet drapes drawn across the silver screen, The Columbia which was the smallest (and some say the shabbiest) where I saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and fell out of love with Elizabeth Taylor, The American which was the last to close and then there was The Ceramic on Fourth Street right next to the YMCA. The Ceramic was the grandest theater in town hosting Vaudeville acts like The Marx Brother and George Burns before my time.

Downtown businesses included Montgomery (Monkey) Wards, J.C. Penny, Sears and Roebuck Woolworth's on the national chain side. D.M. Ogilvie and Olsen's were local department stores. Robbins and Sant, Paul Arrow's and The Men's Shop were haberdasheries providing the latest styles in gabardine and imported silk suits. Zak's and The Millinery provided East Liverpool's women with fine frocks and hats.

But my favorite stores were Heimie's where a boy with two dollars in his pocket could buy not only Mad Magazine but a Revel model to put together with smelly glue and patience. You could buy balsa wood airplanes powered by a wound up gum band (rubber band for you non-Pittsburghers).

Right across Washington Street from Heimie's was Burbick's Hardware. Why they called themselves a hardware store, I'll never know. The did sell Dremel drills for craftsmen but their stock in trade was sporting goods. Two pristine white baseballs every spring and, if you were lucky, a new glove along with the neat's foot oil to ready it for vigorous play. Jerseys to jockstraps were always picked up at Burbick's

At Fifth and Washington was Ogilvie's, East Liverpool's answer to Gimble's. In the basement was housewares where kitchen gizmos were demonstrated every Saturday. Knives to slice tomatoes so thin you could read the newspapers through them, juicers guaranteed to get every last drop out of an orange or vegetable peelers that could take the skin from a potato in one long spiral slice. My paternal grandmother was a sucker for all these gadgets.

But Grandma could take advantage of the bargains in Ogilvie's basement because she had an employee discount. Grandma ran the candy counter just inside the Washington Street door. One might think that having one's Grandma run the biggest candy counter in town would have distinct advantages. But Grandma was Scottish, stereotypically so. She did not take any Grandmotherly glee at slipping her first grandson an errant peanut cluster or chocolate covered toffee. No, Grandma's preference for candy ran to the matronly. White nugget pieces filled with jellied fruit or ghastly coconut covered pieces of licorice was what I got. Blech! I don't dislike the flavor of coconut but I do dislike the texture. To me, coconut is like eating toenails.

There were no cash registers in Ogilvie's Clerks took cash payments or store charge slips and put them in metal canisters fitted out with rubber bumpers, the type early bank drive-up windows used. The payment and the sales slip were then whisked away to the Mezzanine level by pneumatic tubes, a fascinating sight for kids of all ages. Soon enough the canister would reappear from the tube and the receipt would be in it. Amazing!

All that charm and wonder are gone now. We click on our shopping carts, check our email for a confirmation and the mailman serves as the pneumatic tube. More's the pity.

St. Clair Avenue is expected to reopen sometime before the snow flies. Let's hope so.

And so it's 3:30 in the morning and my muse has kept me up way beyond my bedtime.

Last edited:
At last the autumn colors are here. Nearly half our trees have already unspectacularly lost their foliage but the hold outs are finally showing their stuff. Oaks in particular are especially showy with the sugar maples bursting out in vibrant golds. My own Trompenberg maple on the north lawn swapped its deep red feathery leaves for dazzling orange.

Meanwhile St. Clair Avenue remains closed from the junction with Avondale Street to Walnut Street in front of the Nazarene Church. St. Clair is the main north/south street in town. It rises from The Diamond, the town square at the intersection of Sixth, Market and Dresden all the way up the steep hill and then out to the suburb of Calcutta.

There is a concrete retaining wall that holds Ray Street from falling onto St. Clair. Or rather, there was a retaining wall. It developed a nasty crack and has outlived its design life. The WPA built it during the Great Depression and it has served the community well until this passed summer. So the city fathers declared it must be replaced and closing the main artery had to be done to accommodate the demolition. Ray Street will now dead end and a new wall is being built.

The detour has been shown to be clumsy for north side commuters trying to get downtown. Traffic has been diverted to Avondale Street which is narrower and, believe it or not, even steeper than St. Clair Avenue is.

Of course getting downtown is one thing, but being downtown has changed a lot in the past sixty odd years. There was a time, before shopping malls and online shopping, when downtown was the only practical means of commerce. There were four theaters; The State Theater with a balcony and deep red velvet drapes drawn across the silver screen, The Columbia which was the smallest (and some say the shabbiest) where I saw Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and fell out of love with Elizabeth Taylor, The American which was the last to close and then there was The Ceramic on Fourth Street right next to the YMCA. The Ceramic was the grandest theater in town hosting Vaudeville acts like The Marx Brother and George Burns before my time.

Downtown businesses included Montgomery (Monkey) Wards, J.C. Penny, Sears and Roebuck Woolworth's on the national chain side. D.M. Ogilvie and Olsen's were local department stores. Robbins and Sant, Paul Arrow's and The Men's Shop were haberdasheries providing the latest styles in gabardine and imported silk suits. Zak's and The Millinery provided East Liverpool's women with fine frocks and hats.

But my favorite stores were Heimie's where a boy with two dollars in his pocket could buy not only Mad Magazine but a Revel model to put together with smelly glue and patience. You could buy balsa wood airplanes powered by a wound up gum band (rubber band for you non-Pittsburghers).

Right across Washington Street from Heimie's was Burbick's Hardware. Why they called themselves a hardware store, I'll never know. The did sell Dremel drills for craftsmen but their stock in trade was sporting goods. Two pristine white baseballs every spring and, if you were lucky, a new glove along with the neat's foot oil to ready it for vigorous play. Jerseys to jockstraps were always picked up at Burbick's

At Fifth and Washington was Ogilvie's, East Liverpool's answer to Gimble's. In the basement was housewares where kitchen gizmos were demonstrated every Saturday. Knives to slice tomatoes so thin you could read the newspapers through them, juicers guaranteed to get every last drop out of an orange or vegetable peelers that could take the skin from a potato in one long spiral slice. My paternal grandmother was a sucker for all these gadgets.

But Grandma could take advantage of the bargains in Ogilvie's basement because she had an employee discount. Grandma ran the candy counter just inside the Washington Street door. One might think that having one's Grandma run the biggest candy counter in town would have distinct advantages. But Grandma was Scottish, stereotypically so. She did not take any Grandmotherly glee at slipping her first grandson an errant peanut cluster or chocolate covered toffee. No, Grandma's preference for candy ran to the matronly. White nugget pieces filled with jellied fruit or ghastly coconut covered pieces of licorice was what I got. Blech! I don't dislike the flavor of coconut but I do dislike the texture. To me, coconut is like eating toenails.

There were no cash registers in Ogilvie's Clerks took cash payments or store charge slips and put them in metal canisters fitted out with rubber bumpers, the type early bank drive-up windows used. The payment and the sales slip were then whisked away to the Mezzanine level by pneumatic tubes, a fascinating sight for kids of all ages. Soon enough the canister would reappear from the tube and the receipt would be in it. Amazing!

All that charm and wonder are gone now. We click on our shopping carts, check our email for a confirmation and the mailman serves as the pneumatic tube. More's the pity.

St. Clair Avenue is expected to reopen sometime before the snow flies. Let's hope so.

And so it's 3:30 in the morning and my muse has kept me up way beyond my bedtime.

I too have done my best writing between midnight and dawn. But yours is special Nosmo. And one of these days I hope you are preparing all of these wonderful word paintings for your own anthology. I would buy it

Do you have a favorite coffee brand? We drink San Francisco Bay coffee.

Honestly we usually drink whatever canned coffee was on sale at Albertsons recently. But when we splurge on a good blend that we grind ourselves, the New Mexico Pinon Coffee Co. here in Albuquerque puts out an Arabica bean medium roast that is just excellent.

Oh, and good morning everybody. Chilly and partly cloudy in Albuquerque this morning and I have a sense we could get some precipitation today though it isn't in the forecast.

I'm on walkabout, exploring.

For now, all I will say is the folks here just have no clue how well they have it at usmb. NO CLUE.
Or they DO have a clue..which is why they sock back in. I'm learning this in my travels from here. It ain't pretty out there. Trust me on this.

I would agree with that. There are just enough really unpleasant people here to make us want to hang it up now and then, but the good guys like all ya'll here in the Coffee Shop and some others keep me here. I never read in at the FZ so I miss out on most of the really hateful and cruel stuff. And I am very proficient at scrolling over posts by the idiots, numbnuts, and other exercises in futility. I don't mind at all if people disagree with me so long as they keep it friendly. If I did, I wouldn't have any friends or family at all. :)

And lately I have been enjoying some good discussions here at USMB though many, maybe most of them are still destroyed by the trolls. But elsewhere, even at another board where I do most of my 'debating' as much as it can be done in these formats, all the unpleasant types are there too and are even more annoying.

I find myself spending less time there and more time here lately.

I used to look in on the FZ mostly for entertainment. But now....if I go down there to look more than twice a month I'd be surprised. There is some really hateful stuff that frankly isn't worth my time.

C'est la vie. :D

Heya, WelfareQueen. How good to see you. Regarding the FZ, I have NEVER gone in deliberately but once in a huge while, I find myself there. lol. With this format, it is hard to know where you are because of the grey ghosting of the forum under the title of a thread and one has to remember to look before they leap! Ha! I like the feel of this place Fox has put together and worked on so hard for many years. Thanks, FF. xo

It's similar for me. I don't go to the FZ to browse threads, but there are times when I'll click on a thread title from the list of new threads and it takes me to the FZ. I don't mind, I'm just not interested in the idea of people tossing around insults instead of debating or arguing. Insults within an argument isn't so bad, though. :p

For now, all I will say is the folks here just have no clue how well they have it at usmb. NO CLUE.
Or they DO have a clue..which is why they sock back in. I'm learning this in my travels from here. It ain't pretty out there. Trust me on this.

I would agree with that. There are just enough really unpleasant people here to make us want to hang it up now and then, but the good guys like all ya'll here in the Coffee Shop and some others keep me here. I never read in at the FZ so I miss out on most of the really hateful and cruel stuff. And I am very proficient at scrolling over posts by the idiots, numbnuts, and other exercises in futility. I don't mind at all if people disagree with me so long as they keep it friendly. If I did, I wouldn't have any friends or family at all. :)

And lately I have been enjoying some good discussions here at USMB though many, maybe most of them are still destroyed by the trolls. But elsewhere, even at another board where I do most of my 'debating' as much as it can be done in these formats, all the unpleasant types are there too and are even more annoying.

I used to look in on the FZ mostly for entertainment. But now....if I go down there to look more than twice a month I'd be surprised. There is some really hateful stuff that frankly isn't worth my time.

Heya, WelfareQueen. How good to see you. Regarding the FZ, I have NEVER gone in deliberately but once in a huge while, I find myself there. lol. With this format, it is hard to know where you are because of the grey ghosting of the forum under the title of a thread and one has to remember to look before they leap! Ha! I like the feel of this place Fox has put together and worked on so hard for many years. Thanks, FF. xo

It's similar for me. I don't go to the FZ to browse threads, but there are times when I'll click on a thread title from the list of new threads and it takes me to the FZ. I don't mind, I'm just not interested in the idea of people tossing around insults instead of debating or arguing. Insults within an argument isn't so bad, though. :p
Most people on the board take the FZ completely wrong, most take it way too seriously. When I was in the Navy it was a constant "cut down contest" to see who had the sharpest wit, whenever someone took it seriously they would draw insults like sh__ draws flies. That was the only time we would be truly mean, the FZ is like that, for most, each person trying to be their own version of Don Rickles then piling on someone who thinks internet message boards are serious business. :D

Now that I'm well over my long term funk and have been getting tons of things done I have to slow it down for a while, especially after trying to seriously damage myself........
Early Monday evening I was unpacking some more items in the crowded garage, took up a large pile of shipping paper to toss in the recycle bin outside. As I was exiting the garage my right foot hooked an extension cord carrier that had slipped down onto the floor, my left foot hooked my right foot and I went airborne landing on the concrete driveway on my right shoulder and nearly bouncing under the truck. I laid there in agony for a few minutes realizing I couldn't move my arm and wondering how long I would have to lay there before someone would discover me. I finally pulled myself upright using the truck bumper and the wife drove me to the VA ER. The ER docs claim it's not broken, severe bone contusion and soft tissue damage. Still very, very, very sore and painful to use so this right hander is learning how to be a lefty.

Me, I'm a Chock full o' Nuts man where home brewed coffee is concerned. Was it that Arab sheik lifting a cup to his lips or the jingle? Chock Full o' Nuts is that heavenly Coffee. A better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy.

Now that I'm well over my long term funk and have been getting tons of things done I have to slow it down for a while, especially after trying to seriously damage myself........
Early Monday evening I was unpacking some more items in the crowded garage, took up a large pile of shipping paper to toss in the recycle bin outside. As I was exiting the garage my right foot hooked an extension cord carrier that had slipped down onto the floor, my left foot hooked my right foot and I went airborne landing on the concrete driveway on my right shoulder and nearly bouncing under the truck. I laid there in agony for a few minutes realizing I couldn't move my arm and wondering how long I would have to lay there before someone would discover me. I finally pulled myself upright using the truck bumper and the wife drove me to the VA ER. The ER docs claim it's not broken, severe bone contusion and soft tissue damage. Still very, very, very sore and painful to use so this right hander is learning how to be a lefty.
Ouch!

Dr. Nosmo prescribes liberal doses of bourbon accompanied with by a medium rare Porterhouse to be taken daily.

No charge, and feel better soon.

Most people on the board take the FZ completely wrong, most take it way too seriously. When I was in the Navy it was a constant "cut down contest" to see who had the sharpest wit, whenever someone took it seriously they would draw insults like sh__ draws flies. That was the only time we would be truly mean, the FZ is like that, for most, each person trying to be their own version of Don Rickles then piling on someone who thinks internet message boards are serious business. :D

I know some who use the FZ to intentionally bait or hurt somebody though. Admittedly the same kinds of people will do that on the out-of-FZ threads too, but it is more pointedly prevalent in the FZ. I see the kind of 'insult' humor you are referencing as more in the political threads where people try to throw the more creative insults at each other. (IMO they fail--they don't know what a truly creative insult is. :) ) I don't enjoy that either but I don't take it as intentionally hurtful.

I will agree that there are some FZ threads that are just entertaining to the participants and are not personally offensive, even though light hearted insulting banter is thrown around. I have been summoned via mentions to some of those--that may be illegal here to do now and if it isn't it should be. But I still don't go there because of the stuff that I just choose not to participate in. A matter of taste I think. I have some good friends here I think a lot of who do participate in some FZ threads, including you apparently :), and that's okay too.

Last edited:

Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,

November's full moon this weekend isn't quite a super moon but comes very close. The beaver moon is the second largest of the year.
autumn_full_moon_by_dheej18-d4irgs1.jpg
That is one beautiful, sensual, mood shot, FF. TY. ;)

I think I shall never, ever, get over thinking of freedombecki. She is in my heart.

Becki seems to be doing okay but the only internet she has is apparently at their local library so available time to use it is very limited. She does check in every few months to let us know she is alive and kicking.

Me, I'm a Chock full o' Nuts man where home brewed coffee is concerned. Was it that Arab sheik lifting a cup to his lips or the jingle? Chock Full o' Nuts is that heavenly Coffee. A better coffee a millionaire's money can't buy.
Just where coffee is concerned? :dunno:

:D

Last time I went to the local library I found it has shut down. That's a bloody nuisance because I used to do photocopying there, and refer to their extensive collection of law books. I know the laws of England are all online now, but there were a lot of other useful books I no longer have access to.

On the home front, I am totally bloody fed up with the new downstairs neighbour. He has a giggling girlfriend and they stay up talking all night. I now have to use ear plugs to get to sleep.

Forum List

Back