USMB Coffee Shop IV

Looks like my foot is in the door at UPS as a Driver Helper. I call it a UPS elf. We run the packages to the door. Five or six weeks of part time work.

Sounds like you are way over qualified but maybe it could work into something pretty good and more permanent. You never know. From what I hear, working for UPS is more stressful than the USPS though.

I may be able to tell you a comparative story about that. The local postal job I thought was gone isn't. Four blocks from my house, they called for an interview appointment this morning and I just got back. Should know something by Tuesday. Monday would be better as UPS has orientation scheduled for me Tuesday. I need to just get the postal job, because it is super stressful looking for long term employment combined with Mrs. Liberty's mom prepping for hospice. Yep, about a month ago she lost her brother, which her mom took badly. Now my MIL has given up from poor health and a broken heart.

So sorry about your MIL though we can hope she will choose to live if that is an option for her. And keeping fingers crossed for that post office job.

Looks like my foot is in the door at UPS as a Driver Helper. I call it a UPS elf. We run the packages to the door. Five or six weeks of part time work.

Sounds like you are way over qualified but maybe it could work into something pretty good and more permanent. You never know. From what I hear, working for UPS is more stressful than the USPS though.

I may be able to tell you a comparative story about that. The local postal job I thought was gone isn't. Four blocks from my house, they called for an interview appointment this morning and I just got back. Should know something by Tuesday. Monday would be better as UPS has orientation scheduled for me Tuesday. I need to just get the postal job, because it is super stressful looking for long term employment combined with Mrs. Liberty's mom prepping for hospice. Yep, about a month ago she lost her brother, which her mom took badly. Now my MIL has given up from poor health and a broken heart.

So sorry about your MIL though we can hope she will choose to live if that is an option for her. And keeping fingers crossed for that post office job.

I think she probably signed hospice papers today.

Got a nice surprise when Mrs. Liberty came back from seeing her mom. Apparently she does want to get better and a nursing home placement has begun. Between the interview call and that our day took a very nice 180.

All this talk of warm climate.
Looking forward to a windy high of 25 tomorrow with wind chill around 10 after a little snow tonight.
I sense a brutal winter in MN this year.

Wow, it is already that cold in Minnesota? But welcome to the Coffee Shop petro. The more the merrier. Please read over the OP to get the gist of what we're all about in here, drag up a chair, and make yourself at home.

First timers here get a complimentary beverage and since it is after midnight at your house, we'll make it a lovely soothing hot toddy. :)

1452289676-hot-toddy.jpeg
Right now it is 13 out with wind chill around 0. That toddy looks tasty. Work outdoors and it is way too early for this weather.

Fingers crossed you get the postal job! The pay is probably better than the UPS job and more steady, too.

Brrrr. A chilly 39 degrees when Carly insisted on going out for her morning constitutional this morning, despite the sun shining brightly outside. But we will adjust as that will be the norm for us for awhile. By afternoon we will enjoy mid to upper 60's. A sweatshirt feels good but no coat necessary.

Morning, everybody! Everyday we should honor the service of our veterans. And we have set aside this day, what we once called Armistice Day, to honor them specifically. 99 years ago today, at this hour The Great War, what we now call World War I, ended. That war did not do what President Woodrow Wilson had hoped. It did not make the world safe for democracy. We needed another world war and too damn many other wars, even the wars we are engaged in today and the world is still not safe for democracy.

And that's why we need and honor our veterans. Ninety Nine years, hundreds of thousands of deaths, countless wounds and trauma and generations of individuals willing to make sacrifices too dire to consider have been counted to make our world safe for democracy.

Thank you veterans for stepping up. Our nation honors you.

Last edited:
I'm glad that all my CS friends seem to be doing well. Happy to know Peach and Mr. Peach are improved. I'm hoping that Gracie's med stuff comes out well. SeaGal, good luck with the move. It's tough to do, giving up what seems like a lifetime, but change isn't always bad. For anyone I haven't mentioned, you are still in my thoughts and my most positive vibs are sent to all of you.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

I am absolutely fascinated, and more than a little daunted, by the challenging lifestyle you've chosen. Having water, keeping warm, caring for and sheltering animals, the cold, the dark - wow! - sounds like a lot of hard work - sounds invigorating! With no well, no running water - what's the indoor 'plumbing' situation like? :)

You have a way with words that makes for very enjoyable reading. Keep it coming - even the day to day stuff is interesting, so far removed from the way most of us live. For many years we grew and raised most of our own food. Made my own bread...canned, pickled or froze most of our food - but we could do 2 gardens a year - spring and fall - and only once or twice did I ever have to break ice in the water troughs. But all that was done with running water and ample electricity. Keeping cool was a far bigger challenge than keeping warm.

Wishing you plenty of good health and few troubles! Sooooo...come the middle of winter, let's trade pics on our outdoor activities and winter scenery. :wink_2:
Deal! I was thinking about posting some photos, especially since it's snowed a little. I won't have a garden for another year because I have to clear away a mature birch/spruce forest for that. I will be adding a small flock of free range chickens this coming spring. Fresh cheese, eggs, and home grown chicken is like heaven. Working outside keeps me warm and I can dry my duds by hanging them on chairs around the stove. As long as I can keep the cabin above freezing, everything seems to work fine. I'm looking for someone to put the electric system together. I'm tired of waiting for my partner to figure things out.

Well, I finally made it back to the CS. I missed you guys. Between making my transition to full-time, off-grid living and the absolute, abject failure of my partner's electric "grid", I haven't been on line at all for almost two weeks. I finally fired up the generator and recharged the system. I am going to find and hire someone who builds these systems for a living, my daughter offered to help me fund the project. We have most of the hardware so I shouldn't have to cough up too much cash to get set up.
Winter looked like it was here but it melted. We got a dusting of snow and the temps went back up to the mid-30s and almost to 50 this past week. I'm not complaining, though. After a week of using wood to heat the house (mostly) I recognize that I am woefully under-stocked with heating supplies. The propane kicker stove to keep things above freezing when I'm not home is working well, though.
I've gotten some of the goats moved up here but have to build more shelter for those left behind. It is obvious to me that I will do this alone because my partner feels that we should still inconvenience my friend further by leaving the other goats where they are. Passive-aggressive only works until it encounters someone who doesn't play along. I moved the Pyrs with this group of goats, so my buddy's GF is ecstatic, not having to hear dogs barking "all night long".
I kidnapped another feral kitten. He's adapted quite nicely to house cat life. His name is Gidget and right now he's smacking his toys around the kitchen. Of course, he's still working on his teleportation skills, so he's not on the table.
I'll be splitting wood tomorrow and start building those extra sheds. Life on the homestead is never boring because there is always something to do.
I'm glad that all my CS friends seem to be doing well. Happy to know Peach and Mr. Peach are improved. I'm hoping that Gracie's med stuff comes out well. SeaGal, good luck with the move. It's tough to do, giving up what seems like a lifetime, but change isn't always bad. For anyone I haven't mentioned, you are still in my thoughts and my most positive vibs are sent to all of you.

You have been a missed person GW. I think I would have loved your new lifestyle when I was much younger. But living on the mountain all those years where we were pretty self sufficient with our own well, propane tank, septic system, etc. and we could have put in a wind charger or generator to produce electricity when the power was off. But I like having electricity, phones, cable TV, internet, etc. And because when we lost power, we lost heat--the propane furnace required electricity to work--we had a large supply of wood for our fireplace which, with a Strader insert, would pretty well heat the whole house. And it is amazing how much wood you use in a short period even using it for auxiliary heat. Plus we liked having the fireplace in the evenings and on weekends and it extended the propane supply. But it does take a ton of wood.

I read once that 6-1/2 cords wood is the typical supply for a wood stove in the typical American winter. Probably need more in an Alaskan winter.

I agree the Lexus is a great automobile. My aunt has one that is about 10 years old now, and it is one sweet ride.
Oh, yeah, the wood goes fast. I have another pile to split and a buddy of mine winched a couple of trees we cut last spring up so I can make more firewood. I have plenty of wood, I just have to make it fit in my stove.

Nice house! Handsome family, the people too. Granpappy had 'im a pair of mules - called 'em Hee and Haw.
Most people don't realize how "untamed" much of the west (including Alaska) was up through the 1930s. There were quite a few modern big cities and towns but the vast majority of roads were still dirt and lots of people still used horses and wagons, many didn't have electricity and outhouses were still fairly common.

You are also describing New Mexico in the 1930's. and 40's. Very few paved highways and almost no streets other than maybe the main highway through town were paved. Even in the 1990's and probably now, there are remote areas off the electric grids and without telephone service and access by dirt or gravel roads. But the ranchers out there live really well.
Not to mention the richness and satisfaction of living life and doing for yourself. Actually, living there will speed up installation of things I've been postponing for years.

In Russia most of transport infrastructure were designed at Soviet times, and USSR was not a country of automobiles, but railroads. Now authorities try to develop automobile roads, but all large cities were previously designed for a bus/train systems and don't allow current number of autos. But common transport systems are usually excellent from Soviet times, so many people (and me) prefer it. It's because I don't live in suburban :))

We have some good friends who lived in NYC for a time and they didn't own a car. My brother lived and worked in London for 8 years and he didn't own a car either. I love using mass transit when visiting a big city...and I love trains. A few years ago I took my mother up to DC to visit my youngest son - we traveled by train in a little 'roomette'. It was an overnight trip and the food served was very good. We had a great time.

We Americans really love our cars though! I gotta say, I hope you truly are Russian, lol, because I have long admired your beautiful country and it's people. The gifts given to the world by your artists, composers and authors are treasures. May be a misconception because I've never been there - but I think of you as hearty souls, and far closer to brothers and sisters than we have been allowed to be. Oh, and vodka, I forgot about the vodka - thank you!

I've lived in suburbs almost all of my life and still have never owned a car. :p

In this cast, how do you reach the civilization??? How do you visit malls to buy a cheap products? :)

I don't even remember the last time I wasn't at a mall. :D If I want to buy something, I buy it online and have it delivered.

The suburbs is enough civilization for me. I don't much like big cities. The public transportation would be nice, though.

I considered the same, while the period, I'd living some months in a center of city. When you could reach a lot of needed objects by foots - it's very comfortable, it's real another style of life, instead of living somewhere at city edge...
In other case, living somewhere with clean air and low level of noise is comfortable too, offcourse.. Especially with a good Internet :)
and I've moved almost as far as I can from any city that still has a road going ther!

We have some good friends who lived in NYC for a time and they didn't own a car. My brother lived and worked in London for 8 years and he didn't own a car either. I love using mass transit when visiting a big city...and I love trains. A few years ago I took my mother up to DC to visit my youngest son - we traveled by train in a little 'roomette'. It was an overnight trip and the food served was very good. We had a great time.

We Americans really love our cars though! I gotta say, I hope you truly are Russian, lol, because I have long admired your beautiful country and it's people. The gifts given to the world by your artists, composers and authors are treasures. May be a misconception because I've never been there - but I think of you as hearty souls, and far closer to brothers and sisters than we have been allowed to be. Oh, and vodka, I forgot about the vodka - thank you!

I've lived in suburbs almost all of my life and still have never owned a car. :p

In this cast, how do you reach the civilization??? How do you visit malls to buy a cheap products? :)

I don't even remember the last time I wasn't at a mall. :D If I want to buy something, I buy it online and have it delivered.

The suburbs is enough civilization for me. I don't much like big cities. The public transportation would be nice, though.

I considered the same, while the period, I'd living some months in a center of city. When you could reach a lot of needed objects by foots - it's very comfortable, it's real another style of life, instead of living somewhere at city edge...
In other case, living somewhere with clean air and low level of noise is comfortable too, offcourse.. Especially with a good Internet :)
and I've moved almost as far as I can from any city that still has a road going ther!
Roads? What are those?

Just stopping by to wish all my Military brothers and Sisters a happy Veterans Day
photo.php

Oh shoot Ollie. Your photo doesn't show. Might try again. But it always makes me smile a bunch when you stop by. BigBlackDog and Nosmo King especially will be thrilled at least as much as me. :)

And yes to you and all our guys and gals who have served and all those who have passed on, hats off to each and every one and thank you.

Originally called Armistice Day, commemorating the signing of the agreement that ended World War I at 11:00 A.M., November 11, 1918, this federal holiday was changed to Veterans Day in 1954. At that time, it became a day to honor all the men and women who have served in the armed forces of the United States.

Salute SFC Ollie and Thank You for being the marvelous American you are. xoxo

Forum List

Back