USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just stopping by to wish all my Military brothers and Sisters a happy Veterans Day
photo.php

Oh shoot Ollie. Your photo doesn't show. Might try again. But it always makes me smile a bunch when you stop by. BigBlackDog and Nosmo King especially will be thrilled at least as much as me. :)

And yes to you and all our guys and gals who have served and all those who have passed on, hats off to each and every one and thank you.
Dear to our hearts forever and ever.

The little one went to the dentist a few days ago, and now she has a water pick. I haven't seen anyone use one of them since I had one as a kid. She loves it, I guess it's fun for her to use, although it gets the bathroom messy. :p

th

Why We Wear Poppies On Remembrance Day
79x70_centenary_logo.jpg

By

Helen Mavin

FacebookTwitter

The poppy is the enduring symbol of remembrance of the First World War. It is strongly linked with Armistice Day (11 November), but the poppy's origin as a popular symbol of remembrance lies in the landscapes of the First World War.

Poppies were a common sight, especially on the Western Front. They flourished in the soil churned up by the fighting and shelling. The flower provided Canadian doctor John McCrae with inspiration for his poem 'In Flanders Fields', which he wrote whilst serving in Ypres in 1915. It was first published in Punch, having been rejected by The Spectator. In 1918, in response to McCrae's poem, American humanitarian Moina Michael wrote 'And now the Torch and Poppy Red, we wear in honor of our dead…'. She campaigned to make the poppy a symbol of remembrance of those who had died in the war.

Artificial poppies were first sold in Britain in 1921 to raise money for the Earl Haig Fund in support of ex-servicemen and the families of those who had died in the conflict. They were supplied by Anna Guérin, who had been manufacturing the flowers in France to raise money for war orphans. Selling poppies proved so popular that in 1922 the British Legion founded a factory - staffed by disabled ex-servicemen - to produce its own. It continues to do so today.

Other charities sell poppies in different colours, each with their own meaning but all to commemorate the losses of war. White poppies, for example, symbolise peace without violence and purple poppies are worn to honour animals killed in conflict.

The poppy continues to be sold worldwide to raise money and to remember those who lost their lives in the First World War and in subsequent conflicts.

Why We Wear Poppies On Remembrance Day

Friday night is boardgame night. There are four old farts, of which I count myself, who get together every Friday night, barring any other commitment, to play some of the very well published board games available these days. We are in a Golden Age of board game development.

And, being self-confessed old farts, we create a lot of hot air. Read into that what you will. Tonight's conversation included the subject of our first jobs. Mine was as a radio DJ on Sunday evenings on WOHI 1490 on your AM dial. My shift began at 6:00 when I was the producer for the Bob Grey Chester Hour.

Bob was a bank president in Chester, WV directly across the Ohio River from East Liverpool, Ohio. Bob loved bluegrass music and had a little troupe of friends and neighbors who shared his enthusiasm. They would show up in the studio and set up their steel slide guitars, mandolins, banjos and guitars. Every now and then a buddy of Bob's would have a small drum kit and I had to mic that and the rest of the band for live broadcast.

Bob, God bless hm, was the most outgoing and friendly person I've ever met. None of the Scottish reserve of my family. And as this job was while I was a junior in high school and what I knew of adults were teachers and the parents of my friends, Bob's personality made me just as surprised as Saul on the road to Damascus. I played sousaphone in the high school marching band my junior year and once I brought the big brass tuba from school down the the WOHI lobby and sat in for a few rousing numbers.

At 7:00 I played the UPI radio top of the hour news broadcast while I tore down the Bob Grey set and readied my own show. My opening song, my theme was Sweet Hitchhiker by Creedence Clearwater Revival. The song opens with a strong guitar scream before breaking into a rockin' riff. A musical line of demarcation between live amateur bluegrass and the show of a high school aged D.J.

I performed card tricks on the radio. I sawed a lady in two with some graphic sound effects. It was a lot of fun.

Mom has told me about her first job. She was a bobbysoxer connecting calls at the Ohio Bell transfer station right beside the First Methodist Church on West Sixth Street. She wore a headset made of silver heavy gage wire with a hard plastic earphone and a plastic microphone this size and shape of a golf ball cut in half. Seated on a swivel chair, Mom would ask "Number please?" People would answer FUlton 5- 9873. And Mom would take a plug trailing a long wire and put it into the appropriate input. There was FUlton 5 and FUlton 6 for East Liverpool calls or EVergreen 7 for West Virginia calls.

There were Party Lines on which a few folks would be set up on one line of service. One might pick up the receiver and listen in on someone else's conversation. Although we have individual phones with individual numbers right there in our pockets, we too often hear at least one side of telephone conversations, like it or not.

Last edited:
Well, I donated some money to the veterans today while I was out and about on my shopping expeditions. It feels good to know maybe you helped someone who is needy or having a hard time, even if just a little bit.

I was just talking to my son about it, and he told me that he has donated tons of money to the animal victims of the recent hurricanes and floods. He says he donates like $40 every time he goes into the pet store. He is such a great kid. I am so proud of him.

Got a nice surprise when Mrs. Liberty came back from seeing her mom. Apparently she does want to get better and a nursing home placement has begun. Between the interview call and that our day took a very nice 180.
That is wonderful, saveliberty. I, too, had wonderful news today. I feel reborn. :)

But you are going to keep us guessing, yes? :) Just teasing. Wonderful news is wonderful news no matter what it is.

By the way, we are similar temperament types.

I am 1/2 ENTJ and 1/2 ENFJ :)

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Ava
Thinking of Mr. and Mrs. peach174 tonight and hoping all is well with them.

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Dalia, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Contemplating our place in the universe and what sorts of life exists out there somewhere

9lafz7o-imgur.jpg

We have some good friends who lived in NYC for a time and they didn't own a car. My brother lived and worked in London for 8 years and he didn't own a car either. I love using mass transit when visiting a big city...and I love trains. A few years ago I took my mother up to DC to visit my youngest son - we traveled by train in a little 'roomette'. It was an overnight trip and the food served was very good. We had a great time.

We Americans really love our cars though! I gotta say, I hope you truly are Russian, lol, because I have long admired your beautiful country and it's people. The gifts given to the world by your artists, composers and authors are treasures. May be a misconception because I've never been there - but I think of you as hearty souls, and far closer to brothers and sisters than we have been allowed to be. Oh, and vodka, I forgot about the vodka - thank you!

I've lived in suburbs almost all of my life and still have never owned a car. :p

In this cast, how do you reach the civilization??? How do you visit malls to buy a cheap products? :)

I don't even remember the last time I wasn't at a mall. :D If I want to buy something, I buy it online and have it delivered.

The suburbs is enough civilization for me. I don't much like big cities. The public transportation would be nice, though.

I considered the same, while the period, I'd living some months in a center of city. When you could reach a lot of needed objects by foots - it's very comfortable, it's real another style of life, instead of living somewhere at city edge...
In other case, living somewhere with clean air and low level of noise is comfortable too, offcourse.. Especially with a good Internet :)
and I've moved almost as far as I can from any city that still has a road going ther!

To live somewhere with directions instead road is excellent, but how could you solve the "problem of last mile". For example, after serious snowfall? :)

I've lived in suburbs almost all of my life and still have never owned a car. :p

In this cast, how do you reach the civilization??? How do you visit malls to buy a cheap products? :)

I don't even remember the last time I wasn't at a mall. :D If I want to buy something, I buy it online and have it delivered.

The suburbs is enough civilization for me. I don't much like big cities. The public transportation would be nice, though.

I considered the same, while the period, I'd living some months in a center of city. When you could reach a lot of needed objects by foots - it's very comfortable, it's real another style of life, instead of living somewhere at city edge...
In other case, living somewhere with clean air and low level of noise is comfortable too, offcourse.. Especially with a good Internet :)
and I've moved almost as far as I can from any city that still has a road going ther!

To live somewhere with directions instead road is excellent, but how could you solve the "problem of last mile". For example, after serious snowfall? :)

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of that. In our city which really is classified as a big city in the USA but would be a small town compared to yours, we do provide directions such as from the intersection of Wyoming and Academy, proceed west (away from the mountain) on Academy 1.1 miles. Turn right (north) on. . . .

So I would imagine Gallantwarrior would give directions such as take Hwy whatever north from Anchorage however many miles, turn left at whatever and proceed however many miles. Some such as that.

Distances are usually in miles or fractions of miles and described in minutes. Coronado mall is 20 minutes from here or whatever. . .

Hi, Biker, how are you doing? :)

Hello Comrade Johnson. You are a friend of Sbiker? We have become quite fond of him here and you are welcome as well. The more the merrier. Please read over the opening post to the thread to get the gist of what we are all about here and join right in.

First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage so here is yours:

15814649624_83d1e3abbf_o.jpg

Got a nice surprise when Mrs. Liberty came back from seeing her mom. Apparently she does want to get better and a nursing home placement has begun. Between the interview call and that our day took a very nice 180.
That is wonderful, saveliberty. I, too, had wonderful news today. I feel reborn. :)

But you are going to keep us guessing, yes? :) Just teasing. Wonderful news is wonderful news no matter what it is.

Good morning FF. Interestingly, I have infrequently received the ENFJ along with INTJ results but just barely as the F and the T were about 1% apart. Over the years I consistently receive the INTJ results with an occasional ENTJ. This personality type scoring is still considered with many corporations along with other tests for determining placement best suitable for an applicant responding to a job opportunity. I find it quite accurate, myself, Fun, at the very least. ;)

Personality test based on Jung and Briggs Myers typology

Also, the good news I received yesterday was of a close relative coming out of ICU after eleven long days. :eusa_pray:

Good morning FF. Interestingly, I have infrequently received the ENFJ along with INTJ results but just barely as the F and the T were about 1% apart. Over the years I consistently receive the INTJ results with an occasional ENTJ. This personality type scoring is still considered with many corporations along with other tests for determining placement best suitable for an applicant responding to a job opportunity. I find it quite accurate, myself, Fun, at the very least. ;)

Also, the good news I received yesterday was of a close relative coming out of ICU after eleven long days. :eusa_pray:

I usually pretty consistently test as ENT/FJ and that has served me well as both a manager and as a facilitator/teacher. I took a pretty intensive training of the Kiersey Bates concept of temperament typing along with some Myers Briggs. Having applied both--and they share a lot in common of course both based on Jungian philosophy--I have come to appreciate and prefer the Kiersey Bates approach. I have been paid to teach the core concepts from time to time and of course have volunteered to do that at church or other organizations I belonged to.

If you aren't familiar with the Kiersey Bates concept I recommend their little book Please Understand Me. ($12.99 at Amazon I think). An easy read and really explains it without a lot of psychobabble.

The hardest part about testing people is to convince them there are no right or wrong answers on the quick temperament test at the front of the book and to check the answer they know themselves to be rather than the one they think they should be.

For the uninitiated there are eight components to temperament typing that makes up a great deal of our decision making, response to things, and process of organizing and approaching tasks and problems.

E - Extravert
I - Introvert
N - Intuitive
S - Sensing
T - Thinking
F - Feeling
J - Judging
P - Perceiving

Oh, and yes, it is always a huge relief and we can be happy for you and your loved one who is getting better. :)

I usually pretty consistently test as ENT/FJ and that has served me well as both a manager and as a facilitator/teacher. I took a pretty intensive training of the Kiersey Bates concept of temperament typing along with some Myers Briggs. Having applied both--and they share a lot in common of course both based on Jungian philosophy--I have come to appreciate and prefer the Kiersey Bates approach. I have been paid to teach the core concepts from time to time and of course have volunteered to do that at church or other organizations I belonged to.

If you aren't familiar with the Kiersey Bates concept I recommend their little book Please Understand Me. ($12.99 at Amazon I think). An easy read and really explains it without a lot of psychobabble.

The hardest part about testing people is to convince them there are no right or wrong answers on the quick temperament test at the front of the book and to check the answer they know themselves to be rather than the one they think they should be.

For the uninitiated there are eight components to temperament typing that makes up a great deal of our decision making, response to things, and process of organizing and approaching tasks and problems.

E - Extravert
I - Introvert
N - Intuitive
S - Sensing
T - Thinking
F - Feeling
J - Judging
P - Perceiving

I used AquaAthena's link and got ISTJ, with percentages of 48%, 6%, 47%, and.....I forgot the last one, maybe 15%?

Forum List

Back