USMB Coffee Shop IV

All this talk of warm climate.
Looking forward to a windy high of 25 tomorrow with wind chill around 10 after a little snow tonight.
I sense a brutal winter in MN this year.
Depending on where you are in New Mexico you can experience a brutal winter and a cool summer or a brutal summer and a mild winter..........

Wow. New Mexico is beautiful! Alas, probably above our means in renting. And not being familiar with the state would be a bummer since we need government help. We are set where we are until the beach calls us back home sometime next year..IF it happens at all. We are just going with day by day. Thats all we can do. But those sure are pretty pics!!!
New Mexico is a mix of deserts, mountain ranges and high plains and there are relatively cheap areas for housing either in the southern deserts or the northwest and eastern parts of the state, just depends on where you want to be. It's a great alternative retirement state to say places like Arizona.
I might wander around rentals there later tonight when I am on walkabout. That is when I am most active..in the wee hours. :)

What town do you reside in where you took those quaint pics? I'd like to live somewhere such as that. :)
I live in Albuquerque but there are lots of cute little towns all over the state.
Here's one up near Ruidoso in the Sacramento Mountains.

933 Gavilan Canyon Rd, Ruidoso, NM 88316
One (out of many) down in Alamogordo, high desert at the foot of the Sacramento Mountains. Ten minutes and you're up in the mountains.

1413 Mountain View Ave, Alamogordo, NM 88310 | MLS #157564 | Zillow
Ouch. 35K is about 30K above what I have, lol.

Wow. New Mexico is beautiful! Alas, probably above our means in renting. And not being familiar with the state would be a bummer since we need government help. We are set where we are until the beach calls us back home sometime next year..IF it happens at all. We are just going with day by day. Thats all we can do. But those sure are pretty pics!!!
New Mexico is a mix of deserts, mountain ranges and high plains and there are relatively cheap areas for housing either in the southern deserts or the northwest and eastern parts of the state, just depends on where you want to be. It's a great alternative retirement state to say places like Arizona.
I might wander around rentals there later tonight when I am on walkabout. That is when I am most active..in the wee hours. :)

What town do you reside in where you took those quaint pics? I'd like to live somewhere such as that. :)
I live in Albuquerque but there are lots of cute little towns all over the state.

One (out of many) down in Alamogordo, high desert at the foot of the Sacramento Mountains. Ten minutes and you're up in the mountains.

I saw one around Alamogordo (I think) for 15K

If I have any problems getting a job here, maybe I should look in that area. :p

Looking forward to a windy high of 25 tomorrow with wind chill around 10 after a little snow tonight.
Depending on where you are in New Mexico you can experience a brutal winter and a cool summer or a brutal summer and a mild winter..........

Sometimes on the same day. :)

Looks like my foot is in the door at UPS as a Driver Helper. I call it a UPS elf. We run the packages to the door. Five or six weeks of part time work.

Sounds like you are way over qualified but maybe it could work into something pretty good and more permanent. You never know. From what I hear, working for UPS is more stressful than the USPS though.

Looks like my foot is in the door at UPS as a Driver Helper. I call it a UPS elf. We run the packages to the door. Five or six weeks of part time work.
Its a step in the right direction. Getting on at UPS is hard. But once IN...you can prove your worth. Its only a matter of time before you get your own route and your own truck!!!

Wow, it is already that cold in Minnesota? But welcome to the Coffee Shop petro. The more the merrier. Please read over the OP to get the gist of what we're all about in here, drag up a chair, and make yourself at home.

First timers here get a complimentary beverage and since it is after midnight at your house, we'll make it a lovely soothing hot toddy. :)

1452289676-hot-toddy.jpeg

Thinking of Mr. and Mrs. peach174 tonight and hoping all is well with them.

Good night darlinks, I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Boedicca, her dad, brother, and family,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition
Saveliberty for positive resolution for difficult transition,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness
And for our students, job hunters, others in transition.

And the light is left on for Noomi, Freedombecki, AgainSheila, Esthermoon, Dalia, SFC Ollie, and all others we hope are okay and will return to us.

Autumn in the land of 10,000 lakes (though in truth there are more than 12,000)
th

Lol. That is totally UNHEARD of around here. You couldn't even buy a condemned building for that price around here. The average price for a home around here is about $400,000.

The median home value in Massachusetts is $378,900. Massachusetts home values have gone up 6.3% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 2.9% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in Massachusetts is $242. The median price of homes currently listed in Massachusetts is $419,900 while the median price of homes that sold is $356,113. The median rent price in Massachusetts is $2,500.

Lol. That is totally UNHEARD of around here. You couldn't even buy a condemned building for that price around here. The average price for a home around here is about $400,000.

The median home value in Massachusetts is $378,900. Massachusetts home values have gone up 6.3% over the past year and Zillow predicts they will rise 2.9% within the next year. The median list price per square foot in Massachusetts is $242. The median price of homes currently listed in Massachusetts is $419,900 while the median price of homes that sold is $356,113. The median rent price in Massachusetts is $2,500.
Same with Northern Virginia but here's the kicker, many properties here in the west have no well or city water connection so water has to be trucked in to fill an on-site cistern, sometimes twice a week. That's not all that cheap. There are areas (in southern Colorado for one) where even if one had a well, drinking the water from it would ultimately be fatal so they have to use cisterns or city water, obviously properties with cisterns aren't worth as much.

LOL. Continuing yesterday's discussion, a member started a thread asking for honest opinions of his first attempt at painted art. I responded with what was intended as an encouraging post. I swear it was in general discussion but somehow or other it got bumped into the FZ and I got my first ever STFU. :) Oh well. I guess it had to happen sooner or later. But that's just one of many reasons I say out of there.

I tracked down that thread and posted a positive comment. I wonder if I will get a STFU too.

Government assistance, don't know if it'll help but it's worth a look see.

Homeownership Assistance: New Mexico - HUD | HUD.gov / U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

New Mexico Real Estate | Homes for Sale in Albuquerque, NM | New Mexico Grant Money

As for medical and other assistance in New Mexico, it's a one stop shop;

Apply For Benefits

Sounds like you are way over qualified but maybe it could work into something pretty good and more permanent. You never know. From what I hear, working for UPS is more stressful than the USPS though.

I may be able to tell you a comparative story about that. The local postal job I thought was gone isn't. Four blocks from my house, they called for an interview appointment this morning and I just got back. Should know something by Tuesday. Monday would be better as UPS has orientation scheduled for me Tuesday. I need to just get the postal job, because it is super stressful looking for long term employment combined with Mrs. Liberty's mom prepping for hospice. Yep, about a month ago she lost her brother, which her mom took badly. Now my MIL has given up from poor health and a broken heart.

So the "IRS" calls at 7 this morning to threaten me yet again with imminent arrest if I don't pay back taxes immediately--meaning I give them my credit card number over the phone of course.

And 10 minutes later, we get another call from somebody with a cheery greeting of "Hello, are you feeling well today" or some such hoping to get a 'fine' or 'yes' that they will then 'photoshop' into an order conversation to sell me something.

Then two rapid negative robocalls trashing the mayoral candidates

And a few minutes ago I get maybe the 100th call of "Congratualtions! Your have won a trip to the Bahamas!

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

I wonder how much we would be inconvenienced by not having a phone?

I get calls on my land line even though I'm on the No Call List. Not so on my cell phone. On the land line I use a trick I learned in the Army many years ago on field radios. This little trick will make a caller hang up instantly Try it and let me know what you think.
When you get an unwanted or persistent caller on your land line, simply turn on your cell phone and place the mouth piece on the ear piece of the LL phone. The screech of the feedback will wreck the caller's ears. We used to do this in the Army when we were being told to do something we didn't want to hear.

:) That might work. Actually with modern 'wireless' phones you can do that just moving one receiver close to another.

If we are in an ornery mode, we sometimes play with them wasting as much of their time as possible though in some cases that probably isn't all that smart. One of my favorite things is to tell them, "Oh I'm so glad you called, but first, my husband sells insurance and I just found the Lord! Do you have a minute?

Foxfyre

My father blows a whistle into the phone.

We ditched our landline a few weeks ago. However, prior to that we had a programmable phone that would tell us who was calling. You could program the numbers in so that it would announce who would call. If it wasn't programmed and we couldn't identify the caller, we just let it go to voicemail. Usually, they wouldn't leave a message.

Hmmm...some quick math here says about $44 a square foot.

So the "IRS" calls at 7 this morning to threaten me yet again with imminent arrest if I don't pay back taxes immediately--meaning I give them my credit card number over the phone of course.

And 10 minutes later, we get another call from somebody with a cheery greeting of "Hello, are you feeling well today" or some such hoping to get a 'fine' or 'yes' that they will then 'photoshop' into an order conversation to sell me something.

Then two rapid negative robocalls trashing the mayoral candidates

And a few minutes ago I get maybe the 100th call of "Congratualtions! Your have won a trip to the Bahamas!

It isn't 10 a.m. yet.

I wonder how much we would be inconvenienced by not having a phone?

I get calls on my land line even though I'm on the No Call List. Not so on my cell phone. On the land line I use a trick I learned in the Army many years ago on field radios. This little trick will make a caller hang up instantly Try it and let me know what you think.
When you get an unwanted or persistent caller on your land line, simply turn on your cell phone and place the mouth piece on the ear piece of the LL phone. The screech of the feedback will wreck the caller's ears. We used to do this in the Army when we were being told to do something we didn't want to hear.

:) That might work. Actually with modern 'wireless' phones you can do that just moving one receiver close to another.

If we are in an ornery mode, we sometimes play with them wasting as much of their time as possible though in some cases that probably isn't all that smart. One of my favorite things is to tell them, "Oh I'm so glad you called, but first, my husband sells insurance and I just found the Lord! Do you have a minute?

Foxfyre

My father blows a whistle into the phone.

We ditched our landline a few weeks ago. However, prior to that we had a programmable phone that would tell us who was calling. You could program the numbers in so that it would announce who would call. If it wasn't programmed and we couldn't identify the caller, we just let it go to voicemail. Usually, they wouldn't leave a message.

Alas so many are robo calls any more and they don't respond to anything you do to shut them up. And if you don't answer they just talk to your answering machine for a looooooong time. Our phone system does show Caller ID on the phone screen and also announces the caller audibly. But we find it better to just pick up the receiver and hang up. We don't waste our time that way and don't have to listen to a long winded spiel on the answering service before we can delete the message or hear one we did want to get.

And WB to the Coffee Shop Toro. :)

Forum List

Back