USMB Coffee Shop IV

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I don't usually go for revenge.

But occasionally it is unavoidable and irresistible.

Do you remember that segment on the Today Show? Where in The World Is Matt Lauer? That was a good segment. Too bad these guys are willing to throw everything away for something SO stupid and worthless.

Yes, and Al went with him sometimes, which is why I said ask Al.

Update on my homeless veteran.

There was no trial for the two thugs who beat him. Both of them were on parole so the judge sent them back to Lumberton Correctional Center near Fayetteville. The vet spent 8 days in a local hospital and when he was released a friend of mine went with me and we took the guy to the VA hospital in Salisbury. After they checked him out and reviewed his history then sent him to Winston-Salem Regional for tests and evaluation. Today they sent him to a long term rehab center in Virginia. When he gets out a neighbor and his wife have fixed him a room in a big tool shed and it is a nice warm place with a bed, frig, microwave and a heater. Hopefully he will get back on his feet, get a job and resume his life. I gave up my job of greeting troops at the airport USO when they depart or return home from the war zones. I plan to volunteer at the VA transporting vets to their appointments and back. I did that a few years ago here in Charlotte so I will go to the Fort Worth Med Center in a couple weeks until mid March. I will be getting progress reports on my homeless vet via E-mail. Glad that is over.

I try to realize that the world doesn't belong to us. It belongs to the animals who inhabit the planet as well, and that we need to live together and share the world with them. I am not a PETA nutjob though. I realize the benefits of hunting for population control since we humans have encroached upon the territory of other natural predators and many of these prey animals will overpopulate and die of starvation.

I agree. You won't find a stronger environmentalist or anybody who loves and thrills to wildlife more than me. I am one of those mushy types who can't hunt with a gun though I am a good shot--I use a camera. I used to love to fish and was better at it than most, but I got to the point that I felt sorry for the fish pulled from the water. And I felt badly about pushing that sharp hook through live bait, even a lowly worm. So I quit fishing. I'll let others be the tough hearted ones and I will just appreciate

And yet if I could not buy meat and fish at the grocery store, I could easily shoot wild or domestic game and fish for it without conscience or regret. And I am not at all naive about how the meat and fish got to the grocery store either. I'm just grateful I didn't have to do what has to be done in order for it to be there.

I think we humans are creatures of the Earth too, and we are the only creatures with the capacity to look out for the welfare of all the other species or even know about or care what happens to that we have never seen. We can use our superior intellect and abilities for good or bad. But we are not evil if we do what is best for ourselves as well as for the others.

Too often, we use our abilities for bad though. Much too often. The way some people treat animals is terrible and totally uncalled for. I find it very upsetting, and I am especially upset about it this morning because I came across a video that someone posted here of a baby elephant being lit on fire. I can't get that image out of my mind and I am literally crying about it. What kind of an awful creature would do such a thing to an innocent baby elephant or to any living creature for that matter? If there is evil in the world, it is people. WE are evil.

No we aren't evil. I have witnessed too much capacity of the human creature to be selfless, noble, caring, brave, loving, tender etc. But there are evil people among us. Just as there is a dog or cat or rogue wild thing that has to be put down now and then because it is vicious or dangerous, there are humans that are too cruel, vicious, hateful, savage to deserve to live among us or anywhere for that matter.

But I am with you that cruelty of all kinds, most especially to animals, will bring me to white hot anger more quickly than pretty much anything else.

You see less and less of good people and more and more of the bad every day. It is quite discouraging and doesn't give me much confidence in humanity, that is for sure.

I accept that is your perspective, but I am too involved with people who are actively working to combat animal cruelty to believe that most are bad. Our niece in Amarillo works as a volunteer to investigate and deal with large animal abuse and the organization she volunteers for is doing wonderful work. There are a whole bunch more people who care about that than those who do it. When I see all the wonderful animal rescue organizations and the thousands of people who adopt or foster lost, abused, neglected animals, it warms the heart.

The Humane Society and other animal rescue organizations around here get a sizable chunk of our charitable contributions.

Evil exists but goodness is stronger. I truly do believe that.

There was no trial for the two thugs who beat him. Both of them were on parole so the judge sent them back to Lumberton Correctional Center near Fayetteville. The vet spent 8 days in a local hospital and when he was released a friend of mine went with me and we took the guy to the VA hospital in Salisbury. After they checked him out and reviewed his history then sent him to Winston-Salem Regional for tests and evaluation. Today they sent him to a long term rehab center in Virginia. When he gets out a neighbor and his wife have fixed him a room in a big tool shed and it is a nice warm place with a bed, frig, microwave and a heater. Hopefully he will get back on his feet, get a job and resume his life. I gave up my job of greeting troops at the airport USO when they depart or return home from the war zones. I plan to volunteer at the VA transporting vets to their appointments and back. I did that a few years ago here in Charlotte so I will go to the Fort Worth Med Center in a couple weeks until mid March. I will be getting progress reports on my homeless vet via E-mail. Glad that is over.

You did a very good thing Hoss. I worked with many vets in my former life. Some of the younger guys did 4 and 5 tours in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The crap some of those guys went through.......

Snow flurries...... There are times I miss El Paso......... :lol:

LOL yes. We were headed out to Corrales for our weekly 42 game today and almost had to cancel due to snow--probably 7 flakes at least. Definitely some accumulation on the mountain.

If the world needs a whole bunch more people like you Hossfly.

So great, you are a nice person.

I've got my fingers crossed for snow this weekend, although I won't be with the little one to see it if it comes.

I saw where probable snow was forecast for Birmingham and you aren't all that far from there. So maybe.
The frost is on the punkin'! Great news!
You know what that means, what it entails? It's an old Southern proverb.

I've got my fingers crossed for snow this weekend, although I won't be with the little one to see it if it comes.

I saw where probable snow was forecast for Birmingham and you aren't all that far from there. So maybe.
I had to look it up and even my Virginia wife who'd heard the phrase before had no idea what it meant.

I had to look it up and even my Virginia wife who'd heard the phrase before had no idea what it meant.
I should have said 'part' of a proverb. Goes like this.

When the weather's hot and sticky,
That's no time for dunkin' dicky.
But when the frost is on the punkin,
That's the time for dicky dunkin'.
~~Anon

I should have said 'part' of a proverb. Goes like this.

When the weather's hot and sticky,
That's no time for dunkin' dicky.
But when the frost is on the punkin,
That's the time for dicky dunkin'.
~~Anon
Yeah, I saw that when I looked it up....... :lol:

3BA5EEA6-E570-4E27-9734-9BE605594960.jpeg

Forum List

Back