USMB Coffee Shop IV

Blast and damn, my phone line has a problem of extreme crackling on the phone, and my internet keeps dropping out. What is worse there are very few telephone boxes working anymore because most people have mobile phones. So I am going to have a problem ringing up to report the fault.

Can you borrow a neighbor's phone?

Last time my phone went wrong I used the downstairs neighbours phone to report it, but she has moved out and I don't want to talk to the new neighbour because he stays up all night and wakes me up. My modem took five minutes to connect to the internet today. But its working now.

We had to have Comcast out this weekend because we have our TV cable, phone, and high speed internet bundled with them and our TV and internet were both on the fritz. Called late Saturday and the tech was here Sunday morning--determined the problem was the cable linkage that came to the house and called in a service crew that was on the job within a couple of hours and fixed the problem.

I don't think any of us would be cruel to any critter. But we taught our little dog to be selective in running off the noisy and pesky crows that tried to raid our feeders and bullied everybody while leaving the other birds alone. The mourning doves were also unafraid of the jays and would run them off when they got out of hand. (The jays were real bullies too.) And we cautioned our guests not to harm the king snakes on our property as they pretty well ensured we would not have rattlers. And I can understand GW declaring war on the destructive squirrels on his property. Nobody loves wildlife more than me.

The king snakes would startle a person and the desert king snake can look very much like a rattlesnake to the untrained eye:
Desert-Kingsnake-snake-photos.jpg

I try to realize that the world doesn't belong to us. It belongs to the animals who inhabit the planet as well, and that we need to live together and share the world with them. I am not a PETA nutjob though. I realize the benefits of hunting for population control since we humans have encroached upon the territory of other natural predators and many of these prey animals will overpopulate and die of starvation.

My future boss says I now have a postal employee ID number as of today. No email to me directly from the main office, but it sounds like I will get one Wednesday.

So a few minutes ago I get a rejection letter from the post office....

It was for a different job in a different office from JULY....gee,I didn't get that one? :lol:
I admit it, my heart stopped for twenty seconds.

OMG. I was ready to cry. Don't DO that to us!

OMG. I was ready to cry. Don't DO that to us!

...and your getting the general feeling I had last night. As a follow up, I got a message from my new boss this morning wanting me to come in today and work. Higher ups told her no, I had to get through orientation first. No email on when that starts yet. :(

I try to realize that the world doesn't belong to us. It belongs to the animals who inhabit the planet as well, and that we need to live together and share the world with them. I am not a PETA nutjob though. I realize the benefits of hunting for population control since we humans have encroached upon the territory of other natural predators and many of these prey animals will overpopulate and die of starvation.

I agree. You won't find a stronger environmentalist or anybody who loves and thrills to wildlife more than me. I am one of those mushy types who can't hunt with a gun though I am a good shot--I use a camera. I used to love to fish and was better at it than most, but I got to the point that I felt sorry for the fish pulled from the water. And I felt badly about pushing that sharp hook through live bait, even a lowly worm. So I quit fishing. I'll let others be the tough hearted ones and I will just appreciate

And yet if I could not buy meat and fish at the grocery store, I could easily shoot wild or domestic game and fish for it without conscience or regret. And I am not at all naive about how the meat and fish got to the grocery store either. I'm just grateful I didn't have to do what has to be done in order for it to be there.

I think we humans are creatures of the Earth too, and we are the only creatures with the capacity to look out for the welfare of all the other species or even know about or care what happens to that we have never seen. We can use our superior intellect and abilities for good or bad. But we are not evil if we do what is best for ourselves as well as for the others.

I agree. You won't find a stronger environmentalist or anybody who loves and thrills to wildlife more than me. I am one of those mushy types who can't hunt with a gun though I am a good shot--I use a camera. I used to love to fish and was better at it than most, but I got to the point that I felt sorry for the fish pulled from the water. And I felt badly about pushing that sharp hook through live bait, even a lowly worm. So I quit fishing. I'll let others be the tough hearted ones and I will just appreciate

And yet if I could not buy meat and fish at the grocery store, I could easily shoot wild or domestic game and fish for it without conscience or regret. And I am not at all naive about how the meat and fish got to the grocery store either. I'm just grateful I didn't have to do what has to be done in order for it to be there.

I think we humans are creatures of the Earth too, and we are the only creatures with the capacity to look out for the welfare of all the other species or even know about or care what happens to that we have never seen. We can use our superior intellect and abilities for good or bad. But we are not evil if we do what is best for ourselves as well as for the others.

We have a license to "subdue the Earth". ;)

What a great post, FF. And one in which I am fully in agreement. Thanks for aptly putting my own feelings into words.

I'm readying myself for work and what a grand season it is. :)

Too often, we use our abilities for bad though. Much too often. The way some people treat animals is terrible and totally uncalled for. I find it very upsetting, and I am especially upset about it this morning because I came across a video that someone posted here of a baby elephant being lit on fire. I can't get that image out of my mind and I am literally crying about it. What kind of an awful creature would do such a thing to an innocent baby elephant or to any living creature for that matter? If there is evil in the world, it is people. WE are evil.

I couldn't even watch that video. I clicked on it, and then I got out of that ASAP, but that image of the fear and terror in that baby elephant's face and screams will stay with me forever now. Some days, I HATE people. I really do.

Too often, we use our abilities for bad though. Much too often. The way some people treat animals is terrible and totally uncalled for. I find it very upsetting, and I am especially upset about it this morning because I came across a video that someone posted here of a baby elephant being lit on fire. I can't get that image out of my mind and I am literally crying about it. What kind of an awful creature would do such a thing to an innocent baby elephant or to any living creature for that matter? If there is evil in the world, it is people. WE are evil.

No we aren't evil. I have witnessed too much capacity of the human creature to be selfless, noble, caring, brave, loving, tender etc. But there are evil people among us. Just as there is a dog or cat or rogue wild thing that has to be put down now and then because it is vicious or dangerous, there are humans that are too cruel, vicious, hateful, savage to deserve to live among us or anywhere for that matter.

But I am with you that cruelty of all kinds, most especially to animals, will bring me to white hot anger more quickly than pretty much anything else.

No we aren't evil. I have witnessed too much capacity of the human creature to be selfless, noble, caring, brave, loving, tender etc. But there are evil people among us. Just as there is a dog or cat or rogue wild thing that has to be put down now and then because it is vicious or dangerous, there are humans that are too cruel, vicious, hateful, savage to deserve to live among us or anywhere for that matter.

But I am with you that cruelty of all kinds, most especially to animals, will bring me to white hot anger more quickly than pretty much anything else.

You see less and less of good people and more and more of the bad every day. It is quite discouraging and doesn't give me much confidence in humanity, that is for sure.

It is so discouraging to know people and what motivates them and their weird kinks and their inability to keep their hands to themselves and their obsession with other people's body parts and their cruelty to creatures that they deem as "below" them, and to top it off, the arrogance and the self righteousness. I find it all very depressing and discouraging. Me, me, me, mine, mine, mine is what is REALLY important to most people it seems.

My apologies for going on and ranting. I probably just need another self imposed forum break and news break. All of the stuff that is going on is really starting to aggravate me. I'm feeling overwhelmed with everything and I'm a little bit overly emotional like some women tend to be at a certain time of the month! I need a break from life! Lol! :lol:

You see less and less of good people and more and more of the bad every day. It is quite discouraging and doesn't give me much confidence in humanity, that is for sure.

I accept that is your perspective, but I am too involved with people who are actively working to combat animal cruelty to believe that most are bad. Our niece in Amarillo works as a volunteer to investigate and deal with large animal abuse and the organization she volunteers for is doing wonderful work. There are a whole bunch more people who care about that than those who do it. When I see all the wonderful animal rescue organizations and the thousands of people who adopt or foster lost, abused, neglected animals, it warms the heart.

The Humane Society and other animal rescue organizations around here get a sizable chunk of our charitable contributions.

I accept that is your perspective, but I am too involved with people who are actively working to combat animal cruelty to believe that most are bad. Our niece in Amarillo works as a volunteer to investigate and deal with large animal abuse and the organization she volunteers for is doing wonderful work. There are a whole bunch more people who care about that than those who do it. When I see all the wonderful animal rescue organizations and the thousands of people who adopt or foster lost, abused, neglected animals, it warms the heart.

The Humane Society and other animal rescue organizations around here get a sizable chunk of our charitable contributions.

I don't deny that there are some good people, but it seems like lately there is more bad than good going around. A lot of people are so selfish.

I watch some shows about animal rescue places on Animal Planet. They are great, but again it shows you the "bad" side of humans too, how badly they will treat their own pets! :( If there weren't so many bad things happening, there would be no need for such organizations. Unfortunately, the world is cold hard and cruel for the most part.

I'm making chili for Game Night this Friday evening. I ordered the two 'secret ingredients' online and they arrived yesterday. At Giant Eagle last night I bought two big onions and two cans of tomato purée. I got a half pound of New York sharp cheddar to shred for the top of the chili bowls before they go under the broiler for the final alchemy. As soon as I'm sufficiently motivated, I'll go out to the butcher shop and buy two pounds of coarse ground beef and a two pound chuck roast to cube into stew meat.

While at the butcher I intend to buy the prime rib roast for our Christmas Eve feast. But Nosmo, today is only December 6th! Christmas Eve is still more than two weeks away! Right! I'll take that roast, mop it off with paper towels, fold a paper towel and place it on a dinner plate. Then the naked roast sits on that plate in my Fridgeaire. Every day a fresh folded paper towel goes under the unwrapped roast. Days, weeks go buy and the roast begins to look like an old maroon pocketbook at the bottom of a bus depot lost and found box. Darker, uglier than an unembalmed piece of meat should look until the juices are concentrated within.

It sounds like blasphemy. Subjecting a $65.00 hunk of prime rib to dry aging in a refrigerator. But after the torture and in the capable hands of my brother and his skills as a gourmand, the result is amazing!

Meanwhile, let's get started on that pot of chili!

My apologies for going on and ranting. I probably just need another self imposed forum break and news break. All of the stuff that is going on is really starting to aggravate me. I'm feeling overwhelmed with everything and I'm a little bit overly emotional like some women tend to be at a certain time of the month! I need a break from life! Lol! :lol:

I hear that. When we get too much exposure to negativity, it absolutely affects us. I am maybe more susceptible than most. But I have found just walking away from it and letting my head clear for awhile tends to restore perspective.

For instance, when it gets so very ugly, hateful, and/or stupid out there on the other forums, I just have to spend some time here in the Coffee Shop to understand again that everybody at USMB isn't a fool, idiot, numbnut, or a-hole. :)

I watch television and find myself thinking our country is hopeless and beyond redemption and feel pretty much defeated. But then I read or listen to somebody with a clearer perspective and that sets things upright for me again.

Working with the humane and rescue associations keeps me appreciating that there are so many more good people in the world than those who make such organizations necessary. I rail against incompetent, useless, even hateful parents who make their children's lives a living hell. And my mood can be very bitter about that. But you can't spend a day with the kids at the Rivers of Mercy Orphanage/Children's Home (Juarez Mexico) without feeling warm hearted and even exhilarated that so many are willing to give of themselves and/or their resources to help those kids feel loved, cared for, cherished, and happy. And they are.

I suppose there will always be evil in the world. But I hang on to the hope that good will ultimately prevail.

I couldn't even watch that video. I clicked on it, and then I got out of that ASAP, but that image of the fear and terror in that baby elephant's face and screams will stay with me forever now. Some days, I HATE people. I really do.

Well can you move that hate to a Monday?

Forum List

Back