USMB Coffee Shop IV

And one more factoid in case anybody cares:

Pi (π), the 16th letter of the Greek alphabet, is the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. In other words, pi equals the circumference divided by the diameter (π = c/d). Conversely, the circumference is equal to pi times the diameter (c = πd). No matter how large or small a circle is, pi will always work out to be the same number.

Pi is an irrational number, which means that it is a real number with nonrepeating decimal expansion, thus it goes on forever without arriving at a zero at the end. Some math fanatics have been interested in seeing how far it can be extended. The Guiness World Record for reciting the most digits of pi belongs to Lu Chao of China, who has recited pi to more than 67,000 decimal places. The Pi-Search Page website has calculated it (with the help of a computer program) to 200 million digits.

c5ff6f231a88cb7789296d56f2cb75f3.jpg

He was such an unusual person. So much I disagreed with him on though given his amazing intellect, I always felt a little arrogant and self-aggrandizing when I did so. He did give us so much to think about and ponder over and added to the national conversation about many things though.

Maybe if they unplugged him for 30 seconds and plugged him back in again...:SMILEW~130:

He was such an unusual person. So much I disagreed with him on though given his amazing intellect, I always felt a little arrogant and self-aggrandizing when I did so. He did give us so much to think about and ponder over and added to the national conversation about many things though.

Maybe if they unplugged him for 30 seconds and plugged him back in again...:SMILEW~130:

:eusa_naughty: :)

Sherry has been begging me to learn some Elvis songs which I've avoided because there usually real simple to play. But this one I could play at chilli dip light speed which I like. Real greasy. :D

I think you'll all enjoy. :)

That's Alright Mama

Sometimes simple is really good. But I fear you link is busted. Can you fix it?

Not sure why it's not working. Edit: It's a USMB issue. :)

Last edited:
Sherry has been begging me to learn some Elvis songs which I've avoided because there usually real simple to play. But this one I could play at chilli dip light speed which I like. Real greasy. :D

I think you'll all enjoy. :)

That's Alright Mama

Sometimes simple is really good. But I fear you link is busted. Can you fix it?

Not sure why it's not working.

Sometimes you can just make sure you have a good copy of the link in your mouse, delete the bad one and drop in the good one. That happens to me now and then.

That's tame...You should see some of the stuff that the 4Chan autists I've been hanging with have been passing around.

That's tame...You should see some of the stuff that the 4Chan autists I've been hanging with have been passing around.

I'm sure, but while I don't begrudge folks having some harmless fun with it, I personally feel a sense of loss every time we lose somebody like him. I honestly did feel sad when I heard he had died.

On having a purpose
"One, remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Two, never give up work. Work gives you meaning and purpose and life is empty without it. Three, if you are lucky enough to find love, remember it is there and don't throw it away."

On being a celebrity
"The downside of my celebrity is that I cannot go anywhere in the world without being recognized. It is not enough for me to wear dark sunglasses and a wig. The wheelchair gives me away."

On never giving up
"However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there's life, there is hope."

I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined,
and that we can do nothing to change it,
look before they cross the road.

...still looking to see if Mr. Hawking comment on chickens crossing the road.

I got an A on my latest coding quiz, whew! This was the first assignment after our Spring Break. I've only gotten 2 other As on quizzes in the class so far, to go with 4 Bs and a D. :( Adding in the first exam I stupidly missed, I really want to keep my grades up to be certain I pass, hopefully with a high B (I don't know if it's even possible for me to get an A at this point).

On another school-related note, I got an email asking me to go to the campus for an award ceremony tomorrow (which I won't be going to, I'm an online student). Apparently I was the highest ranked student, whatever that means. :p

I would say that it means you are doing pretty okay despite how hard you are on yourself. :)

In my defense, this coding class is actually going to be my worst class. ;)

I got an A on my latest coding quiz, whew! This was the first assignment after our Spring Break. I've only gotten 2 other As on quizzes in the class so far, to go with 4 Bs and a D. :( Adding in the first exam I stupidly missed, I really want to keep my grades up to be certain I pass, hopefully with a high B (I don't know if it's even possible for me to get an A at this point).

On another school-related note, I got an email asking me to go to the campus for an award ceremony tomorrow (which I won't be going to, I'm an online student). Apparently I was the highest ranked student, whatever that means. :p

I would say that it means you are doing pretty okay despite how hard you are on yourself. :)

In my defense, this coding class is actually going to be my worst class. ;)

There is always at least one subject that just doesn't come as easy as the others--it happens to all of us and we get through it, and we are stronger because we did. If all this was ridiculously easy for you, then you set your goals too low. :)

I was stuck inside today due to weather. It comes and goes, but really doesn't shake up my world too much. So I had time to browse Netflix. I found a program called History's Greatest Hoaxes. I turned on the first episode which was about the Hitler Diaries scam back in the mid 1980s.

"Okay. Let's se what they have to say", I thought. The episode was well produced except... The guy who broke the story gave his on screen testimony in German without English subtitles.

I had a project in Germany and spent several months there living and working with Germans. Even then, and certainly so today, my German was rudimentary at best. I can read a menu or find out how much for the girl, but that's about it. And no, my 'project' wasn't to eat as much sauerbraten as I could and then write a detailed report on the state and condition of modern German brothels.

So I sat there listening to this expert explain the details of the story I wanted to hear without being able to understand a word. I don't mean to sound chauvinistic, but that much talk in an uncomprehsible foreign tongue can get irritating. Language reduced to noise.

On another European project, I found myself in Naples, Italy with a connecting flight to Rome. I boarded the Alitalia jetliner and took my seat. Then the stewardesses began the in-flight safety lecture. The lovely stewardesses gestured to the emergency exits. They mimed the action of the oxygen masks dropping from the overhead compartment. All the while the head stewardess spoke Italian on the loudspeaker to the indifferent travelers. Something things never change.

But all I saw were three lovely Italian girls moving their hands while Italian was spoken. I wasn't quiet sure whether they were moving their arms and hands in instruction or for emphasis.

I was stuck inside today due to weather. It comes and goes, but really doesn't shake up my world too much. So I had time to browse Netflix. I found a program called History's Greatest Hoaxes. I turned on the first episode which was about the Hitler Diaries scam back in the mid 1980s.

"Okay. Let's se what they have to say", I thought. The episode was well produced except... The guy who broke the story gave his on screen testimony in German without English subtitles.

I had a project in Germany and spent several months there living and working with Germans. Even then, and certainly so today, my German was rudimentary at best. I can read a menu or find out how much for the girl, but that's about it. And no, my 'project' wasn't to eat as much sauerbraten as I could and then write a detailed report on the state and condition of modern German brothels.

So I sat there listening to this expert explain the details of the story I wanted to hear without being able to understand a word. I don't mean to sound chauvinistic, but that much talk in an uncomprehsible foreign tongue can get irritating. Language reduced to noise.

On another European project, I found myself in Naples, Italy with a connecting flight to Rome. I boarded the Alitalia jetliner and took my seat. Then the stewardesses began the in-flight safety lecture. The lovely stewardesses gestured to the emergency exits. They mimed the action of the oxygen masks dropping from the overhead compartment. All the while the head stewardess spoke Italian on the loudspeaker to the indifferent travelers. Something things never change.

But all I saw were three lovely Italian girls moving their hands while Italian was spoken. I wasn't quiet sure whether they were moving their arms and hands in instruction or for emphasis.

Many years ago we lived in a small town in the Texas Panhandle and the church we attended adopted a Cuban refugee family escaped from Castro's Cuba--they had to have a sponsor who would see that they were assimilated if they were to have a path to citizenship in those days. He was well educated, but until he could learn enough English to get by, he went to work as the Church janitor. I was serving as the church business manager/administrator at the time.

Well as far as I knew there was one Spanish speaking family in the whole town. I knew about as much Spanish--Santa Fe street--as you knew German. The pastor spoke English and French. But with his French and my very poor Spanish we managed to communicate adequately so that we quickly established a good working relationship. And we did find a Spanish speaking tutor for the whole family to learn English in a more formal setting but he could come only twice a week from a neighboring town.

We did enlist the Spanish speaking family to help with some interpretation but they were from northern Mexico--Chihuahuan desert--and their speech was painfully slow for our adopted family who spoke pure and rapid fire Castillian Spanish as they speak in Cuba.

Within six months, they all were speaking English fluently enough for the parents to get better paying jobs and the kids were ready to enroll in school though we paid for six more months of tutoring services to help them catch up with their class.

And no, it doesn't help non-English speaking people understand English better if it is spoken more slowly and louder. :)

Many years ago we lived in a small town in the Texas Panhandle and the church we attended adopted a Cuban refugee family escaped from Castro's Cuba--they had to have a sponsor who would see that they were assimilated if they were to have a path to citizenship in those days. He was well educated, but until he could learn enough English to get by, he went to work as the Church janitor. I was serving as the church business manager/administrator at the time.

Well as far as I knew there was one Spanish speaking family in the whole town. I knew about as much Spanish--Santa Fe street--as you knew German. The pastor spoke English and French. But with his French and my very poor Spanish we managed to communicate adequately so that we quickly established a good working relationship. And we did find a Spanish speaking tutor for the whole family to learn English in a more formal setting but he could come only twice a week from a neighboring town.

We did enlist the Spanish speaking family to help with some interpretation but they were from northern Mexico--Chihuahuan desert--and their speech was painfully slow for our adopted family who spoke pure and rapid fire Castillian Spanish as they speak in Cuba.

Within six months, they all were speaking English fluently enough for the parents to get better paying jobs and the kids were ready to enroll in school though we paid for six more months of tutoring services to help them catch up with their class.

And no, it doesn't help non-English speaking people understand English better if it is spoken more slowly and louder. :)
There was a foreman on my Atlantic City project who had up to eighty Spanish speaking asbestos workers on his crew. Very few, if any, were Mexican. Many were from Central and South America.

He told them to learn English well and quickly, watch the news. Think about that.

He said the news has pictures. It introduces 'characters' like State, federal and municipal leaders. The Weather forecasts are particularly useful to non-English speakers as a learning tool.

I, on the other hand, would ask my foreign contacts how they said Fred Flintstone in their native tongue. Fredrick Flierstein in German, Pedro Piccaderas in Spanish.

When I was in Spain and tried to speak Spanish after reading of phrasebook - I've failed and automatically switched to English - and it helped me to speak English much better than usual :)

When I was in Spain and tried to speak Spanish after reading of phrasebook - I've failed and automatically switched to English - and it helped me to speak English much better than usual :)

On our occasion forays into Mexico, I have found that English usually works better there too than my pitifully poor Spanish. :) But, when we run into the non English speakers, it does help to know a little Spanish and a rough idea of how to pronounce it.

On our occasion forays into Mexico, I have found that English usually works better there too than my pitifully poor Spanish. :) But, when we run into the non English speakers, it does help to know a little Spanish and a rough idea of how to pronounce it.
Grassy ass, sigNORah!

Forum List

Back