USMB Coffee Shop IV

First car I can remember my mom having....This immense pink Mercury Monterrey road boat....Like I said, art on wheels.

4740750435_289f407c91_b.jpg

1959_Mercury_Monterey.jpg

I really don't remember all that much about cars with the exception that my Dad traded cars every year... The car I remember the most about was a '62' Chevy Corvair Monza... Now my dad was not a huge fellow but he was not small either... Why in the world he ever traded for a Corvair is a mystery to this day... But this particular automobile was an issue from the very first day... Mechanical problems... Rattles, rough ride... What made it worse was he was having a problem getting the Dealership to resolve the issues... We lived in Decatur ,Il at the time and his first step was to contact the BBB... They wasn't much help... Dad got on the phone and called Detroit and talked to about a half a dozen suits and finally got some relief... There was a Chevrolet Rep. in our driveway 2 days later. All I remember the Corvair was never to be seen again... And for the life of me I can not remember what replaced it...

green6.jpg

After noticing I was still in my St. Patty's Day avatar, I thought I had better post this:

29388624_10214408792626305_7618712972398885141_n.jpg
Irish is a state of mind we could all do well to keep with us year around in this place. . .
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and we await their return.

St. Patrick's Day is an enchanted time--a day to begin transforming winter's dreams into summer magic. --Adrienne Cook
qLG4dp.jpg

“Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine,”

:) He is right though. The mid to late 1950's and through the 1960's was the golden age of automobile design--true works of art and each completely unique. There was no more iconic car on the road than a '57 Chevy and the 1960's era mustang was THE premiere status symbol for the less-than-rich folks.

Placement2-626x382.jpg

View attachment 183531View attachment 183532
View attachment 183533
th
th

Always had a love affair with older American made cars. Forget shopping for jewels and furs - take me car shopping!

Image of my first car...!965 Mustang fastback 2+2 (smart) - would easily do 110 (not smart).

102112_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Black rolled and pleated Pony interior, rhinestone studded wooden steering wheel - courtesy lights all over, no a/c. Bought it used in 1969 for 1200.00 - wonder what it'd be worth today.

After noticing I was still in my St. Patty's Day avatar, I thought I had better post this:

Irish is a state of mind we could all do well to keep with us year around in this place. . .
Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and we await their return.

St. Patrick's Day is an enchanted time--a day to begin transforming winter's dreams into summer magic. --Adrienne Cook
qLG4dp.jpg

“Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireann na daoine,”

Well as one with a lot of Scotch/Irish in her, I can't quarrel with that MisterBeale. And nice to see that you dropped in the Coffee Shop again. :)

:) He is right though. The mid to late 1950's and through the 1960's was the golden age of automobile design--true works of art and each completely unique. There was no more iconic car on the road than a '57 Chevy and the 1960's era mustang was THE premiere status symbol for the less-than-rich folks.

Placement2-626x382.jpg

View attachment 183531View attachment 183532
View attachment 183533
th
th

Always had a love affair with older American made cars. Forget shopping for jewels and furs - take me car shopping!

Image of my first car...!965 Mustang fastback 2+2 (smart) - would easily do 110 (not smart).

102112_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Black rolled and pleated Pony interior, rhinestone studded wooden steering wheel - courtesy lights all over, no a/c. Bought it used in 1969 for 1200.00 - wonder what it'd be worth today.

I don't know Seagal. We found a beautiful old 1966 Mustang fastback and bought it as our son's first car--had it parked in the garage but he wasn't allowed to drive it except as a student driver until he turned 16 a few weeks later. But it was one beauty. Years later he eventually sold it at roughly three times what we gave for it to help finance his college education.

But I found this just now and you (and we) might want to cry :)

Star car – 1965-66 Mustang Fastback
WHEN THE Dearborn crew was still smarting from its troubling Edsel experience, Lee Iacocca came to the rescue with his winning ‘pony car’, the Mustang. Using the floorpan and driveline of the bread and butter Falcon family car as a platform, he produced a range of sexy, youth-oriented coupes, fastbacks and soft-tops for minimal capital outlay, that went a long way toward restoring Ford’s reputation and ultimately profitability. What’s not to like about doing your Steve McQueen impersonation in a lovely early ’Stang with loud dual pipes?

2000 - $26,680

2004 - $30,825

2008 - $48,345

2012 - $46,045

2016 - $62,360
What’s a classic Ford Mustang worth?

Well, greetings, y'all!
I've been MIA for a while and finally have enough sunlight to power my house long enough to post online for a while. The snow clouds are closing in again and we are expected to get another dose of the white powder tonight. It's snowed more these last couple of weeks than all the rest of this winter, so far. The snow is now waist deep in places where I haven't cleared it away. I have trails all around where I do most of my "business" here at the cabin.
Being my first full-time winter here, I have been forming a pretty good idea how much wood I must chuck in order to have a supply that doesn't need to be supplemented by digging felled trees out of the snow, and winching them to a location where they can be rendered into serviceable sized portions.
I've converted the front portion of my utility room into a maternity ward. It's still too cold for kids born out-of-doors to avoid turning into kid-sicles so I have to house the pending mamas inside where it is warmer. The current resident shows all signs of early labor and I am hoping that by tomorrow morning I will be able to welcome the first signs of Spring. The second soon-to-be mama is still outside, not showing the same signs of impending parenthood, but I am watching her closely. She's much more difficult to entice into the house, being a first-time mama.
Good to "read" all of you again!

Do you use wood in furnace? Maybe it's a good idea to use coal instead - being carefully with the max temperature...
But wood, offcourse have own preferences - when you start to warm house in morning you could start by sawing wood... and get warm before your furnace start to work :)
I use wood for primary heat but have a propane heater with a thermostat that keeps the cabin slightly above freezing when I'm not home to tend the wood stove. I've been looking a coal-burning heat but just don't have the money to change right now. Plus, I have a fairly large place (about 80 hectares) with lots of trees that have to make space for hay and pasture. It's funny that the guys at work think I smell like a campfire.

I have had lucid dreams for years. Even if I wake up from such a dream, I can usually re-enter that dream after I go back to sleep. I've found that by writing your dreams down immediately after waking, you can increase lucid dreaming.
Have any of you experienced dreams with repeated themes, locations, or other features?
Been working on it for a few years now...Have only had ten or so...The most recent ones I've been able to recapture after waking...Never got excited when I've snapped into lucidity...Just went with the flow and enjoyed the experience...Really mind blowing experience.

Wow, I do like wine and cheese too... A bottle of red dry Crimean is waiting on my table some days... I think till Saturday :) Come on to share it :)))
If I could only come for a visit, that would be a great adventure. If you have the wine, I'll bring the cheese.

That car was HUGE to a four year old!

After that Pop started buying Buicks and the huge sensation didn't go away.

When I was a kid, you could comfortably sit four across on a back seat in a lot of the cars and at least three could sit comfortably in the front seat--more if you stacked folks a bit and since there were no seat belts, that was frequently done. Yes, they were gas guzzlers, but because almost everybody carried a lot of people in them, they were probably more energy efficient than the cars that really can only carry four comfortably now, if that given the marginal back seats in many cars. So now we take two, sometimes three cars to get a group to the restaurant when before the whole group would have piled into the Buick Dynaflo or the black Hudson or Oldsmobile.

When I was a kid, you could sit four across on a back seat in a lot of the cars and at least three could sit in the front seat. Yes, they were gas guzzlers, but because almost everybody carried a lot of people in them, they were probably more energy efficient than the cars that really can only carry four comfortably now, if that given the marginal back seats in many cars. So we take two, sometimes three cars to get a group to the restaurant when before the whole group would have piled into the Buick Dynaflo or the black Hudson or Oldsmobile.

Mostly made of metal too. Nowadays everything's plastic and wrecks easy.

When I was a kid, you could sit four across on a back seat in a lot of the cars and at least three could sit in the front seat. Yes, they were gas guzzlers, but because almost everybody carried a lot of people in them, they were probably more energy efficient than the cars that really can only carry four comfortably now, if that given the marginal back seats in many cars. So we take two, sometimes three cars to get a group to the restaurant when before the whole group would have piled into the Buick Dynaflo or the black Hudson or Oldsmobile.

Mostly made of metal too. Nowadays everything's plastic and wrecks easy.

Yes I was in an old Hudson once with about eight other kids headed up to the Santa Fe ski basin when we were run off the road by a drunk coming down. Our driver tried to stay on the shoulder but the car tipped on an incline and rolled, kind of in slow motion, two or three times--not sure looking back on it--and landed on its wheels. We were so packed in that nobody was really hurt despite no seat belts--some bumps and bruises, one pair of broken glasses, but no broken bones, no trips to the emergency room. And the car? Banged up some but completely intact and driveable once it was winched back up onto the road. Had that been a modern day car it probably would have been totaled. Those old cars were built like Sherman tanks.

Let's all to be a SOVIET and celebrate 12th of April :)

That might be seen by some as a bit political considering the history, but shoot, Cosmonautics Day or Russian Labor Day doesn't have to be political so why not? Is that a National Holiday that you get off work there?

Well, greetings, y'all!
I've been MIA for a while and finally have enough sunlight to power my house long enough to post online for a while. The snow clouds are closing in again and we are expected to get another dose of the white powder tonight. It's snowed more these last couple of weeks than all the rest of this winter, so far. The snow is now waist deep in places where I haven't cleared it away. I have trails all around where I do most of my "business" here at the cabin.
Being my first full-time winter here, I have been forming a pretty good idea how much wood I must chuck in order to have a supply that doesn't need to be supplemented by digging felled trees out of the snow, and winching them to a location where they can be rendered into serviceable sized portions.
I've converted the front portion of my utility room into a maternity ward. It's still too cold for kids born out-of-doors to avoid turning into kid-sicles so I have to house the pending mamas inside where it is warmer. The current resident shows all signs of early labor and I am hoping that by tomorrow morning I will be able to welcome the first signs of Spring. The second soon-to-be mama is still outside, not showing the same signs of impending parenthood, but I am watching her closely. She's much more difficult to entice into the house, being a first-time mama.
Good to "read" all of you again!

Do you use wood in furnace? Maybe it's a good idea to use coal instead - being carefully with the max temperature...
But wood, offcourse have own preferences - when you start to warm house in morning you could start by sawing wood... and get warm before your furnace start to work :)
I use wood for primary heat but have a propane heater with a thermostat that keeps the cabin slightly above freezing when I'm not home to tend the wood stove. I've been looking a coal-burning heat but just don't have the money to change right now. Plus, I have a fairly large place (about 80 hectares) with lots of trees that have to make space for hay and pasture. It's funny that the guys at work think I smell like a campfire.

At your place I'll continue to use wood. When you use coal, you don't smell like campfire, but like a railroad carriage :) And your hands could be covered by coal dust and look very dark :)

Forum List

Back