USMB Coffee Shop IV

After noticing I was still in my St. Patty's Day avatar, I thought I had better post this:

29388624_10214408792626305_7618712972398885141_n.jpg

Let's all to be a SOVIET and celebrate 12th of April :)

That might be seen by some as a bit political considering the history, but shoot, Cosmonautics Day or Russian Labor Day doesn't have to be political so why not? Is that a National Holiday that you get off work there?

No, it's unofficial now, like a 22th of April, birthday of Lenin (I remember times it was a true holiday :))) They try to make National Holiday at 4th of November, but almost all people (maybe excluding some people, living in our two capitals :))) still remember of 7th :)))
It was a pair of Holidays - 23th of Feb and 8 of March, both gender Holdays, "a day of men" (and women at military service :)))), and day of women :))) Next official Holiday would Labour Day at 1th of May and then 9th of May - Victory day..

Oh, and I've forgot about Easter at 8th of April this year... But it's a religious holiday, I don't remember almost all of them...

After noticing I was still in my St. Patty's Day avatar, I thought I had better post this:

That might be seen by some as a bit political considering the history, but shoot, Cosmonautics Day or Russian Labor Day doesn't have to be political so why not? Is that a National Holiday that you get off work there?

No, it's unofficial now, like a 22th of April, birthday of Lenin (I remember times it was a true holiday :))) They try to make National Holiday at 4th of November, but almost all people (maybe excluding some people, living in our two capitals :))) still remember of 7th :)))
It was a pair of Holidays - 23th of Feb and 8 of March, both gender Holdays, "a day of men" (and women at military service :)))), and day of women :))) Next official Holiday would Labour Day at 1th of May and then 9th of May - Victory day..

Oh, and I've forgot about Easter at 8th of April this year... But it's a religious holiday, I don't remember almost all of them...

1st of May is a traditional day of first barbeque at nearest forest... And for parents it was a day to bury a potato! :)
In Moscow region they do it later - at second May holidays, at 9th and around...

Plus, I have a fairly large place (about 80 hectares) with lots of trees that have to make space for hay and pasture.

Wow GW... If my calculations are correct that is just shy of 200 acres... Pretty good sized homestead my cyber friend... :thup:
196 acres, mostly virgin spruce and birch. We're in stasis right now, breathlessly waiting for the snow to melt and to be able to dig: fences, foundations, tree roots.
A great way to welcome Spring is to have new kids. My first doe finally gave up the wait and delivered two gorgeous little doelings this morning. One is the image of her mum and the other has mum's color but with da's markings. These are the first born on this place, so the first-born is Willow and her sister is Tippy because she has a white tip on her tail. I've been waiting for the doe to deliver the afterbirth so I can clean up the maternity ward. Tomorrow or the next day, I'll put the kids' jammies on and put the family back out in the goat pen.
We're in full-swing Breakup. It gets up to the 40s during the day and may, or may not, freeze again at night. We actually had three full days of above freezing temps this week. It's a messy time of year, but combined with the increasing daylight, life feels a lot more hopeful. The snow has all fallen off the roof and I managed to dig a trail through the berm to my porch.
I'll try to get some photos when the kids wake up from their nap.

Well, greetings, y'all!
I've been MIA for a while and finally have enough sunlight to power my house long enough to post online for a while. The snow clouds are closing in again and we are expected to get another dose of the white powder tonight. It's snowed more these last couple of weeks than all the rest of this winter, so far. The snow is now waist deep in places where I haven't cleared it away. I have trails all around where I do most of my "business" here at the cabin.
Being my first full-time winter here, I have been forming a pretty good idea how much wood I must chuck in order to have a supply that doesn't need to be supplemented by digging felled trees out of the snow, and winching them to a location where they can be rendered into serviceable sized portions.
I've converted the front portion of my utility room into a maternity ward. It's still too cold for kids born out-of-doors to avoid turning into kid-sicles so I have to house the pending mamas inside where it is warmer. The current resident shows all signs of early labor and I am hoping that by tomorrow morning I will be able to welcome the first signs of Spring. The second soon-to-be mama is still outside, not showing the same signs of impending parenthood, but I am watching her closely. She's much more difficult to entice into the house, being a first-time mama.
Good to "read" all of you again!

Do you use wood in furnace? Maybe it's a good idea to use coal instead - being carefully with the max temperature...
But wood, offcourse have own preferences - when you start to warm house in morning you could start by sawing wood... and get warm before your furnace start to work :)
I use wood for primary heat but have a propane heater with a thermostat that keeps the cabin slightly above freezing when I'm not home to tend the wood stove. I've been looking a coal-burning heat but just don't have the money to change right now. Plus, I have a fairly large place (about 80 hectares) with lots of trees that have to make space for hay and pasture. It's funny that the guys at work think I smell like a campfire.

At your place I'll continue to use wood. When you use coal, you don't smell like campfire, but like a railroad carriage :) And your hands could be covered by coal dust and look very dark :)
Considering I smell like jet fuel when I don't smell like campfire, I guess it's all what you like. My hands are also frequently stained with the products of working on aircraft, too. It takes a couple of days and lots of lemon juice to get the black from carbon brakes off your hands.

Plus, I have a fairly large place (about 80 hectares) with lots of trees that have to make space for hay and pasture.

Wow GW... If my calculations are correct that is just shy of 200 acres... Pretty good sized homestead my cyber friend... :thup:
196 acres, mostly virgin spruce and birch. We're in stasis right now, breathlessly waiting for the snow to melt and to be able to dig: fences, foundations, tree roots.
A great way to welcome Spring is to have new kids. My first doe finally gave up the wait and delivered two gorgeous little doelings this morning. One is the image of her mum and the other has mum's color but with da's markings. These are the first born on this place, so the first-born is Willow and her sister is Tippy because she has a white tip on her tail. I've been waiting for the doe to deliver the afterbirth so I can clean up the maternity ward. Tomorrow or the next day, I'll put the kids' jammies on and put the family back out in the goat pen.
We're in full-swing Breakup. It gets up to the 40s during the day and may, or may not, freeze again at night. We actually had three full days of above freezing temps this week. It's a messy time of year, but combined with the increasing daylight, life feels a lot more hopeful. The snow has all fallen off the roof and I managed to dig a trail through the berm to my porch.
I'll try to get some photos when the kids wake up from their nap.

I have only 0.5 hectares with house, but it's too many for me to keep processed... So, I've tried to make garden, but didn't wait result. Now it's a house and ground for sale, but if I wouldn't receive normal price, I would return to this home in future and would live there, freelancing in web and growing garlic for fun :)

Any of those work for me. I admire the Russian classic vintage clothing, I enjoy a lot of Russian food, and I love Russian classical music. My music library has quite a lot of it. I like a lot of your more modern stuff too. Since I know almost no Russian and given the title on the youtube clip, I hope there is nothing obscene in this. I love the music and the balalaika orchestra in the second piece is amazing. :)

Well, greetings, y'all!
I've been MIA for a while and finally have enough sunlight to power my house long enough to post online for a while. The snow clouds are closing in again and we are expected to get another dose of the white powder tonight. It's snowed more these last couple of weeks than all the rest of this winter, so far. The snow is now waist deep in places where I haven't cleared it away. I have trails all around where I do most of my "business" here at the cabin.
Being my first full-time winter here, I have been forming a pretty good idea how much wood I must chuck in order to have a supply that doesn't need to be supplemented by digging felled trees out of the snow, and winching them to a location where they can be rendered into serviceable sized portions.
I've converted the front portion of my utility room into a maternity ward. It's still too cold for kids born out-of-doors to avoid turning into kid-sicles so I have to house the pending mamas inside where it is warmer. The current resident shows all signs of early labor and I am hoping that by tomorrow morning I will be able to welcome the first signs of Spring. The second soon-to-be mama is still outside, not showing the same signs of impending parenthood, but I am watching her closely. She's much more difficult to entice into the house, being a first-time mama.

Do you use wood in furnace? Maybe it's a good idea to use coal instead - being carefully with the max temperature...
But wood, offcourse have own preferences - when you start to warm house in morning you could start by sawing wood... and get warm before your furnace start to work :)
I use wood for primary heat but have a propane heater with a thermostat that keeps the cabin slightly above freezing when I'm not home to tend the wood stove. I've been looking a coal-burning heat but just don't have the money to change right now. Plus, I have a fairly large place (about 80 hectares) with lots of trees that have to make space for hay and pasture. It's funny that the guys at work think I smell like a campfire.

At your place I'll continue to use wood. When you use coal, you don't smell like campfire, but like a railroad carriage :) And your hands could be covered by coal dust and look very dark :)
Considering I smell like jet fuel when I don't smell like campfire, I guess it's all what you like. My hands are also frequently stained with the products of working on aircraft, too. It takes a couple of days and lots of lemon juice to get the black from carbon brakes off your hands.

I can only imagine of your condition, remembering when I rebuilt engine of my car and used kerosene to wash a parts before assembling :)

It was a simple engine, but my father had a problem to start it by 1-4-2-3 scheme before I read manual and found, scheme would be 4-1-3-2 :) Or similar... :)))

Any of those work for me. I admire the Russian classic vintage clothing, I enjoy a lot of Russian food, and I love Russian classical music. My music library has quite a lot of it. I like a lot of your more modern stuff too. Since I know almost no Russian and given the title on the youtube clip, I hope there is nothing obscene in this. I love the music and the balalaika orchestra in the second piece is amazing. :)

Do you like buckwheat and mushrooms from forest, lol? :) Btw, I like it now, and eat them almost every day :))))))

Kadysheva is good, but it's a pop-folk, more rural then ancient.. Have you heared other Russian folk styles like The Mill () or Pelageya (Пелагея - Аж дух захватывает ׃)) ? ;)

p.s. I cannot play on balalaika, but garmoshka (an accordion) is another Russian folk instrument, at least 19th century :)
Игорь Растеряев. Дядя Вова Слышкин.

Last edited:

Do you like buckwheat and mushrooms from forest, lol? :) Btw, I like it now, and eat them almost every day :))))))

Kadysheva is good, but it's a pop-folk, more rural then ancient.. Have you heared other Russian folk styles like The Mill () or Pelageya (Пелагея - Аж дух захватывает ׃)) ? ;)

p.s. I cannot play on balalaika, but garmoshka (an accordion) is another Russian folk instrument, at least 19th century :)

Yes, I love the Russian folk music. I can't play any string instruments except about 3 chords on a guitar, but I have played the garmoshka (accordian)--took lessons for seven years but haven't picked one up since early in our marriage we were so poor we hocked the accordian several times and finally sold it. Those were the days. :)

Oh and I am not familiar with a lot of Russian food but do know that Russians are fond of buckwheat rather than processed white flour which is a good thing in my opinion. I do have a recipe for some wonderful Russian filled pancakes somewhere and sometimes waver between German bierocks and Russian piroghi I think it is called and sometimes make sort of a merged version of the two. :)

Well, greetings, y'all!

I can only imagine of your condition, remembering when I rebuilt engine of my car and used kerosene to wash a parts before assembling :)

It was a simple engine, but my father had a problem to start it by 1-4-2-3 scheme before I read manual and found, scheme would be 4-1-3-2 :) Or similar... :)))
That would represent the firing order of the cylinders, I'm guessing. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that the cylinders have to fire in a distinct order so that the camshaft will rotate properly.

That would represent the firing order of the cylinders, I'm guessing. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that the cylinders have to fire in a distinct order so that the camshaft will rotate properly.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. :lol: I have no idea how the internal combustion engine works. :D

I liked it, especially the fantasy imagery.

I wouldn't be surprised at all. :lol: I have no idea how the internal combustion engine works. :D
Hey, that's OK, Montro...I haven't a clue about coding, or such things.
All you have to remember about engines is how sexy they really are; they all suck, squeeze, bang, and blow.

Wow I didn't know that! Of course I'm not entirely sure that I know what the cylinders are or the camshaft or that it rotates. :)

Hey, that's OK, Montro...I haven't a clue about coding, or such things.
All you have to remember about engines is how sexy they really are; they all suck, squeeze, bang, and blow.

Yup. Probably every one of us has knowledge or skills or aptitude in something that is a complete mystery to the others. And it's a darn good thing too or else we all might be tiddly wink makers, and for sure the world only needs so many tiddly winks.

Forum List

Back