USMB Coffee Shop IV

I have a short paper to do for school in which I am supposed to document and talk about people's response to a question. So, if anyone feels like answering:

What is the most American art form you can think of, and why?

:)
Automobile design an building, up until the late 1970s.

Cars were rolling works of art back in the days when the country had a dozen or more different manufacturers, all trying to outdo one another for styling, power, comfort, and so on.

Back then, cars weren't just basic transportation, they were lifestyle statements...Nearly all of them could be customized to personal tastes with relatively little extra expense....Dealerships used to paper over their windows when the next year's models arrived, and have unveilings to throngs of eager onlookers.

I have a short paper to do for school in which I am supposed to document and talk about people's response to a question. So, if anyone feels like answering:

Jazz.

Popular song was once influenced by folk music and folk music was born of separate regions all around the world.

Americans and only Americans are an amalgam of these regions. Americans, and only Americans deconstructed the folk song genre and reassembled it into a form and structure never heard before.

Jazz reflects our freedom of thought, our creativity and our national story of repression, coupled with freedom of expression and stirred with our polyglot national heritage.

Jazz then spread around the globe making the world familiar and amenable to our new and unique national culture.

It has been said that the three greatest American inventions are baseball, the constitution and jazz music. I'll take that list as a metric to qualify Americanism every day.

Exactly what I was going to say, beat me to it. Or one could say more broadly, Jazz/Blues/Rock 'n' Roll, for the same reasons articulated above.

Automobile design an building, up until the late 1970s.

Cars were rolling works of art back in the days when the country had a dozen or more different manufacturers, all trying to outdo one another for styling, power, comfort, and so on.

Back then, cars weren't just basic transportation, they were lifestyle statements...Nearly all of them could be customized to personal tastes with relatively little extra expense....Dealerships used to paper over their windows when the next year's models arrived, and have unveilings to throngs of eager onlookers.
When even in the dark, you could tell a Ford from a Chevy from a Studebaker! The Ford had vertically aligned headlights, the Chevy was horizontal and the Studebaker looked the same coming or going.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Mr. and Mrs. Gracie in difficult transition and wellness for Gracie,
Mr. and Mrs. Peach174 for full recovery from setback,
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
Drifter for the best job ever,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo

And we keep the porch light on for all our friends who haven't been here for awhile and we await their return.
*************************************************************************************

This weekend will bring a great opportunity for stargazers to see the zodiacal light, an eerie glow near the horizon which is only visible around the equinox.

The phenomenon, sometimes referred to as false dawn, appears in the western sky shortly after sunset around the vernal equinox, which occurs on March 20, 2018.

This weekend will provide a good chance for onlookers to view the zodiacal light not only because the equinox is only days away, but also because this weekend features a new moon, meaning there will be little natural light pollution for the light to contend with.

When even in the dark, you could tell a Ford from a Chevy from a Studebaker! The Ford had vertically aligned headlights, the Chevy was horizontal and the Studebaker looked the same coming or going.

Sounds like the lyrics of a Merle Haggard tune... :boohoo:

:) He is right though. The mid to late 1950's and through the 1960's was the golden age of automobile design--true works of art and each completely unique. There was no more iconic car on the road than a '57 Chevy and the 1960's era mustang was THE premiere status symbol for the less-than-rich folks.

Placement2-626x382.jpg

upload_2018-3-19_12-51-28.jpeg
upload_2018-3-19_12-52-5.jpeg

upload_2018-3-19_12-52-25.jpeg
th
th

:) He is right though. The mid to late 1950's and through the 1960's was the golden age of automobile design--true works of art and each completely unique. There was no more iconic car on the road than a '57 Chevy and the 1960's era mustang was THE premiere status symbol for the less-than-rich folks.

Placement2-626x382.jpg

View attachment 183531View attachment 183532
View attachment 183533
th
th
My favorites are the 1930s cars.

1930s cars - Google Search

Placement2-626x382.jpg

View attachment 183531View attachment 183532
View attachment 183533
th
th
My favorites are the 1930s cars.

1930s cars - Google Search

Yes some of those were really pretty too though the rank and file auto available then was pretty drab. The cars depicted in the movie "Titanic" would have been 1912 and those were great too:
6267580002_large.jpg

I hate the sameness of modern era automobiles that, with a few exceptions, are all the same shape and you can't tell one from another until you get close enough to read the insignia on them.

Big, big day around these parts!

Today I officially retired my snow shovel from the front foyer to the basement. As tomorrow is, according to my calendar, the first day of Spring, I threw the dice, took a chance and figured that I could afford to not shovel the front walk and driveway until late November.

Additionally, I will achieve the karmic confluence of clean sheets, clean me and clean Daisy the Mutt. I gave her the season's first dose of flea and tick medication Thursday. The instructions say no baths for three days. I did laundry today and I will shower down before sleep.

Clean sheets and a clean dog laying in the dead center of the queen size mattress may not be much to anticipate, but life's little pleasures mount up far faster than the great pleasures seem to. So I'll adopt a zen like state and wallow in all those clean smells. After all, to paraphrase Scarlett O'Hara, tomorrow is another stinky day.

Forum List

Back