USMB Coffee Shop IV

Haven't been in here for a few days. I've been a bit under the weather. Feeling some better today but not 100%. Maybe about 60%. going to take it easy today. Feel like I've come in 2nd place in a butt-kicking contest. Hope every body has a great day. I'm going to get off of here so I don't give you some sort of a virus.

On computers, my first computer was a Compaq Presario 486 with a dial up internet connection (AOL) that cost me $3/hour to use. Cost about $2,000 +. Slower than molasses but it was amazing and I couldn't imagine ever needing more computer than that. The only way I could justify the expense is that I used it in my work so could write it off as a business expense over several years.

My current PC has a terabyte of hard drive space, 1000 ram, great video and gaming capability, skype, is lightning fast and we enjoy great internet that usually connects us to everything in 3 seconds or less. . . .cost on a Black Friday special: $289. The bad part is that it too will be obsolete within a relatively short time. But it is unlikely that computers will get more expensive.

Times are a-changin'. It is tougher on us older folks more set in our ways and less technie than some of you younger whippersnappers, but it's mostly good.

Possibly for the worse.

Although I find the technological revolution we're living in fascinating, there is a dark side to it all. People are so reliant on technology these days that the results can be frightening, especially among the young, who seem to be more interested the latest digital bloodbath than culture, history, economics and society. I will concede that the majority's hunger for new advances in technology has a great number of positives (and I include myself in that number), but there's a big negative that needs to be addressed: laziness. How many kids these days know how to dress a deer; or locate their position on a map with a compass, etc. etc.?

Haven't been in here for a few days. I've been a bit under the weather. Feeling some better today but not 100%. Maybe about 60%. going to take it easy today. Feel like I've come in 2nd place in a butt-kicking contest. Hope every body has a great day. I'm going to get off of here so I don't give you some sort of a virus.

BDD: Gute Besserung!

Take it easy, put your feet up with Taco and most of all rest!

th

Hope BBD didn't catch what Hombre has but feel better soon.

And on this day, July 16, in history:

1782 – First performance of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's opera Die Entführung aus dem Serail. (The test later will require correct spelling. :))

1790 – The District of Columbia is established as the capital of the United States. At the time it was pretty centrally located. (But now I think it should be moved to say Kansas City or St. Louis.)

1915 – First Order of the Arrow ceremony takes place and the Order of the Arrow is founded. (This won't mean much to anybody but the Scouters.)

1935 – The world's first parking meter is installed in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. (We who have lived in Kansas and Texas have always known there was something wrong with Oklahoma and now we know why. :) - just teasing.)

1945 – the Atomic Age begins when the United States successfully detonates a plutonium-based test nuclear weapon near in New Mexico. (The Trinity Site is occasionally briefly opened to the public and one of those times is usually in mid July.)

1956 - the last time Ringling Bros, Barnum and Bailey Circus performed under the famous canvas tent. (Wondering how many reading this are old enough to remember that canvas tent?)

1969 – Apollo 11 is launched from the Kennedy Space Center carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins for an intended first walk ever on the surface of the moon. (Some of us are old enough to remember that and actually watched the lift off and Walter Kronkite narrating the event as well as the moon landing several days later.)

1988 Florence Joyner runs 100 meter in women's world record 10.49 seconds to take the Olympic gold medal. (And I watched her do it and was cheering her on. Sadly in 1998 Flo-Jo died as a result of an epileptic seizure in her sleep at age of 38.)

Hope BBD didn't catch what Hombre has but feel better soon.

And on this day, July 16, in history:

1782 – First performance of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's opera Die Entführung aus dem Serail. (The test later will require correct spelling. :))

1790 – The District of Columbia is established as the capital of the United States. At the time it was pretty centrally located. (But now I think it should be moved to say Kansas City or St. Louis.)

1915 – First Order of the Arrow ceremony takes place and the Order of the Arrow is founded. (This won't mean much to anybody but the Scouters.)

1935 – The world's first parking meter is installed in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. (We who have lived in Kansas and Texas have always known there was something wrong with Oklahoma and now we know why. :) - just teasing.)

1945 – the Atomic Age begins when the United States successfully detonates a plutonium-based test nuclear weapon near in New Mexico. (The Trinity Site is occasionally briefly opened to the public and one of those times is usually in mid July.)

1956 - the last time Ringling Bros, Barnum and Bailey Circus performed under the famous canvas tent. (Wondering how many reading this are old enough to remember that canvas tent?)

1969 – Apollo 11 is launched from the Kennedy Space Center carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins for an intended first walk ever on the surface of the moon. (Some of us are old enough to remember that and actually watched the lift off and Walter Kronkite narrating the event as well as the moon landing several days later.)

1988 Florence Joyner runs 100 meter in women's world record 10.49 seconds to take the Olympic gold medal. (And I watched her do it and was cheering her on. Sadly in 1998 Flo-Jo died as a result of an epileptic seizure in her sleep at age of 38.)

Is correct!!!

Kind of a sad evening. Tomorrow our neighbor has an auction for her car, house and household goods. She has been in a assisted living facility for seven months and we knew she would not return home, but her home was still across the street. Now it will all belong to someone else and it seems more final.

My wife helped her with house cleaning for several years and I have kept up her yard the last two. The goal was to keep her in the house as long as possible. Wishing that could have been longer.

That is so sad, SL. Hopefully, she will still have a full life where she will be living. Maybe you could visit her?

She is just across town, so very doable. My wife was close to her and cleaned her house for several years. I mowed the lawn and shoveled the drive for the last two years. Her family is not around for winter, so the neighbors will have to visit a lot.

It is a noble thing you do. There are many great nursing home facilities, but it provides a little extra insurance to increase probability of adequate attention and good care when a resident receives visitors fairly often.

I think that is just an unretouched picture. Here is one where she is made up with makeup, but she still has wrinkles - at 51, that's not common.

Gillian-McKeith-006.jpg

My mom and her sibling all had wrinkles at 51, before that actually. Genetics.

I'm lucky, they all had dry skin, mine was more oily (dad's side) - sucked in junior high, but in my late 50s I have no wrinkles.

Blondes and redheads show their age faster than brunettes, due to the lack of melanin in their skin that protects against aging and UV rays. Genetics though is the main factor.
Not if they take care of their skin. I've been using sun screen on a daily basis for 25 years. It has made a big difference.

Boxes. They're cheap and stack nicely in garage attics. :)

You underestimate the amount of stuff they have.

I think I've mentioned my enormous owl collection accumulated over the decades. But since almost every single one was a gift or one acquired to commemorate a memorable occasion (trips, milestones, etc.) I don't have the heart to dispose of them. So I'll leave them to the kids but many many are packed in boxes in the garage.

I once worked with a lady who had a massive salt and pepper shaker collection. They were displayed in cabinets all over her house and were from all over the world and from every period of history, I think, since the salt and pepper shaker were invented. I think some of them were probably valuable antiques. People who knew her would give her these sets from their travels; however, she collected most of them herself. Oh, that reminds me, my boss asked for a fridge magnet from where I'm spending my vacation! :) Need to get that.

Has this ever been posted in the Coffee Shop? Just saw it again and it still amazes me. I think Hombre and I owned one of the smartest dogs in the world--learned things effortlessly just by being shown what to do and he was psychic or at least clairvoyant to boot. But I don't know that he could have been trained as this dog is:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVB0hLsZEj4]Smartest Dog In The World - Jumpy 123 trick - YouTube[/ame]

Has this ever been posted in the Coffee Shop? Just saw it again and it still amazes me. I think Hombre and I owned one of the smartest dogs in the world--learned things effortlessly just by being shown what to do and he was psychic or at least clairvoyant to boot. But I don't know that he could have been trained as this dog is:

Smartest Dog In The World - Jumpy 123 trick - YouTube

I don't remember if it has been posted here.
I saw it on you tube though and I thought it was amazing!

[ame=http://youtu.be/TzyQx6AL1MQ]Magic! "RUDE (The Dad's Side of the Story)" by Benji and Jenna Cowart (@BenjiJennaCow - YouTube[/ame]
:lol:

Reply to this song RUDE

Forum List

Back