USMB Coffee Shop IV

DUc_DHuV4AAJl0N.jpg

I dropped my car off to have the a/c checked at 10, then walked home. That was about an hour walk, and pretty damn hot. I get home and find the puppy is out of his enclosure. I suppose that someone might have come home and let him out while I was gone, but that seems unlikely. I'm wondering if he climbed on top of his cage, which I leave in the enclosure in case he wants to sleep in it, and then jumped out.

Whatever the case, it led to a pile of pee on the floor which one of the animals walked through and tracked all over the place. :mad:

Ah the joy of civilizing the new fur friend. :)

By the way, did you post that you had bought a car? When did that happen? How long before you complete your formal on line education and start looking for a new job?

I bought the car just before Christmas. I think I mentioned it, but I'm too lazy to go look. :lol:

I should be done with school in....mid-December some time. According to the school's calendar, grades for that semester are due in to the registrar by Dec. 10, with classes ending a few days before that.

Then I have to decide if/what certification to get, then try to find a job. I've already got a plan for moving into a new place about that time, although it's far enough away that I'm not completely relying on it.

Well it sounds like you are on track for a major transition. Seems like I mentioned this before, but as a thought, since you haven't been employed in the business world for so long, that could be seen as a negative by prospective employers though hopefully in your field they will be looking for skill set more than experience. But if that becomes a problem, you might consider working for a temp agency for a few months. You won't make a lot of money but it's a way to re-establish yourself. I have done that a couple of times when Hombre was transferred and we moved to a new place.

Our daughter-in-law ran into that when she chose to be a stay at home mom with our granddaughter. During that time she completed a college degree and was ready to go to work when the grand daughter was in high school. But due to her lack of experience working anywhere other than home, she just couldn't get a foot in the door anywhere. There was no temp agency in their small town. So finally she studied to be licensed as a real estate agent. A good agency took her on because if she didn't sell anything, they didn't have to pay her. Turned out she has a really good aptitude for that.

You never know what twists and turns life will show us.

I've worked through a temp agency before: when I did work for the post office, it was on a couple of 6-month contracts through a staffing company in Tampa. I'm not sure how good an option that is in this line of work, but I'm not opposed to it.

I just got a call from the place that was looking at my car's a/c. They said that there is an issue that would require replacing basically the entire air conditioning system, which would cost more than $1700! That's almost as much as I paid for the car.

I'm not spending that kind of money on this car. But crap, I don't want to drive without a/c. :(

I just got a call from the place that was looking at my car's a/c. They said that there is an issue that would require replacing basically the entire air conditioning system, which would cost more than $1700! That's almost as much as I paid for the car.

I'm not spending that kind of money on this car. But crap, I don't want to drive without a/c. :(

Get a second opinion. I was once told by a car repair shop that my air conditioner needed a complete and very expensive overhaul. So I took it to a second shop who advised me I needed something akin to a fuse. Labor and parts under $25.

Get a second opinion. I was once told by a car repair shop that my air conditioner needed a complete and very expensive overhaul. So I took it to a second shop who advised me I needed something akin to a fuse. Labor and parts under $25.

I just hate the idea of going and paying another mechanic if it turns out to be for no reason. :p

Cripes ! talking of lucid dreams I had a full colour nightmare last night. I was working in a factory and some of the other workers started shrinking, and getting attacked by insects. I reached down to save one and insects bit off my fingers. I felt actual pain, which is unusual for a dream. Then another worker changed into a monster and started trying to eat me, and I reached for a piece of cake that was nearby and shoved it into his mouth. But he was still glaring at me so I poked his eyes out. Then all kinds giant insects move in to eat me. I realized I was dreaming and decided I had enough so I woke myself up.
Weird. Maybe you should contact an exterminator?

We're pretty much leafed out here now. A few exceptions like the catalpa trees, but they are always the last tree to leaf over, and the last trees in the autumn to lose,their foliage. Magnificently warm,days and nights have rolled in and we are in High Spring.

My brother at themprint shop has been cranking out commencement tickets and programs for the area high schools. The issue with those has always been last minute changes to the copy. It seems there are always students on the graduation bubble and their names are deleted from the program. It's stressful for the school administrators, of course the students themselves, but who considers the typographer?

It occurred to me that I have told you about my family here in the upper Ohio River valley. I've told you about my town. Even geography and topography have been covered in my musings. But what about the people?

Let me start by drawing some examples from nearby Steubenville, Ohio. Just 20 miles downstream from East Liverpool lays Steubenville. It made national news a few years ago with a case of Steubenville high school football players and rape allegations. Maybe you recall the story. So, there's that.

Steubenville's most famous son is Dean Martin. Close behind Dino in notoriety is Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder. A couple of guys wearing pinky rings and see-through socks, Dean and The Greek made themselves famous for hanging around Las Vegas, enjoying adult beverages and living with one toe across the line. This is our regional legacy.

As these characters represent one side of the coin, my dour Scottish uncles were minted on the reverse. And so the fast living, devil may care ring-a-ding-ding fellas from down river always had a secret appeal to me. Fast dames, shiny suits and a wad of cash that could choke a thoroughbred were more enticing than the Calvinist work ethic of my family.

I know that's heresy in a straight laced family dynamic like mine, but honestly, who would want to drive a Hudson while others cruise from swinging party to party in a Coup d'Ville? But, lessons learned and the moral of the story squarely faced, my vicarious fascination with our local Rat Pack faded.

One for real East Liverpool native is Coach Lou Holtz. You remember Lou as the head coach of the Norte Dame Fighting Irish and the South Carolina Gamecocks. He has also done duty on ESPN as a college football analyst. What you don't know about Lou is his childhood friendship with Pop. They grew up together in the city's East End during WWII. Pop and Lou would mow lawns, rake leaves and, most enterprisingly paint melted Bakelite records on basement windows so the resident of the house could retire to the basement, light a floor lamp, fire up a Licky Strike (LSMFT) and listen to the radio during mandatory air raid blackouts.

I wonder if Coach Holtz ever had a pinky ring?

Maybe, it would be cheaper to relocate to Alaska? :)) Or in Russia - you could buy "bucket with bolts", fully ready to use, for about a 500$ here :) And you would think more about furnace, not a/c :)

We're pretty much leafed out here now. A few exceptions like the catalpa trees, but they are always the last tree to leaf over, and the last trees in the autumn to lose,their foliage. Magnificently warm,days and nights have rolled in and we are in High Spring.

My brother at themprint shop has been cranking out commencement tickets and programs for the area high schools. The issue with those has always been last minute changes to the copy. It seems there are always students on the graduation bubble and their names are deleted from the program. It's stressful for the school administrators, of course the students themselves, but who considers the typographer?

It occurred to me that I have told you about my family here in the upper Ohio River valley. I've told you about my town. Even geography and topography have been covered in my musings. But what about the people?

Let me start by drawing some examples from nearby Steubenville, Ohio. Just 20 miles downstream from East Liverpool lays Steubenville. It made national news a few years ago with a case of Steubenville high school football players and rape allegations. Maybe you recall the story. So, there's that.

Steubenville's most famous son is Dean Martin. Close behind Dino in notoriety is Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder. A couple of guys wearing pinky rings and see-through socks, Dean and The Greek made themselves famous for hanging around Las Vegas, enjoying adult beverages and living with one toe across the line. This is our regional legacy.

As these characters represent one side of the coin, my dour Scottish uncles were minted on the reverse. And so the fast living, devil may care ring-a-ding-ding fellas from down river always had a secret appeal to me. Fast dames, shiny suits and a wad of cash that could choke a thoroughbred were more enticing than the Calvinist work ethic of my family.

I know that's heresy in a straight laced family dynamic like mine, but honestly, who would want to drive a Hudson while others cruise from swinging party to party in a Coup d'Ville? But, lessons learned and the moral of the story squarely faced, my vicarious fascination with our local Rat Pack faded.

One for real East Liverpool native is Coach Lou Holtz. You remember Lou as the head coach of the Norte Dame Fighting Irish and the South Carolina Gamecocks. He has also done duty on ESPN as a college football analyst. What you don't know about Lou is his childhood friendship with Pop. They grew up together in the city's East End during WWII. Pop and Lou would mow lawns, rake leaves and, most enterprisingly paint melted Bakelite records on basement windows so the resident of the house could retire to the basement, light a floor lamp, fire up a Licky Strike (LSMFT) and listen to the radio during mandatory air raid blackouts.

I wonder if Coach Holtz ever had a pinky ring?

Our catalpa trees are all leafed out here and in full bloom. But we are in a far more southern latitude than you. Log story but I once drove a coupe d'ville. Our daughter called it our ghetto cruiser. :)

Bonjour, Dreams can really be scary that yesterday's brew me up.
I entered an elevator and it fell very quickly down to the end as low as possible everything was black and I was Consciousness of my dream so I press the button 1 and the elevator is start again going up . I always had a fear of the elevator to get stuck in

Okay, ya'll should have been at my house. Oven BBQed country ribs, corn on the cob and garlic bread........ Sorry, no leftovers......

Ahh the Catalpa tree... Also know as the Green bean tree by us kids... Beautiful huuuge broad leaves and a flower of the purest white with yellow and purple markings... An observation I made while living in a very rural environment it appeared to me that Catalpa Trees seemed to grow in old Hog lots after the swine had moved on... I have no scientific proof that this is valid as it was just an observation...

p1060378dl.jpg

Forum List

Back