USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hi all, looks like everyone is doing well. First off, waiting to hear about two potential jobs the wife has interviewed for, one is a state job (in Santa Fe) and the other is a state contract job in Roswell. I'm pulling for the Santa Fe job but she's hoping for the Roswell job basically because of the commute up to Santa Fe and back. We should know something soon.
Then just a few minutes ago I saw a couple of sparrows chasing off a huge raven (what the wife calls "black chickens"), apparently it got too close to their nest, one of the sparrows landed on the flying raven's back to attack.

Really it's not a bad commute to Santa Fe from here, but Roswell is a great little city too. Not in the mountains but an easy drive to Capitan or Ruidoso. Roswell and Carlsbad are really hot in the summertime though. If she got the Santa Fe job, she could also use one of the many Park and Ride groups or take the train. It's tough to get a state job unless you know somebody. . .at least it used to be. . .but maybe things have changed for the better. And maybe she has skills that they need and nobody else has. So we'll keep our fingers crossed.

Good night darlinks. No change in the vigil list but do go out and check out the beautiful moon. Unless you're dealing with Alberto. Wish some of our southeastern folks would check back in because they really got clobbered.

Hi all, looks like everyone is doing well. First off, waiting to hear about two potential jobs the wife has interviewed for, one is a state job (in Santa Fe) and the other is a state contract job in Roswell. I'm pulling for the Santa Fe job but she's hoping for the Roswell job basically because of the commute up to Santa Fe and back. We should know something soon.
Then just a few minutes ago I saw a couple of sparrows chasing off a huge raven (what the wife calls "black chickens"), apparently it got too close to their nest, one of the sparrows landed on the flying raven's back to attack.

Really it's not a bad commute to Santa Fe from here, but Roswell is a great little city too. Not in the mountains but an easy drive to Capitan or Ruidoso. Roswell and Carlsbad are really hot in the summertime though. If she got the Santa Fe job, she could also use one of the many Park and Ride groups or take the train. It's tough to get a state job unless you know somebody. . .at least it used to be. . .but maybe things have changed for the better. And maybe she has skills that they need and nobody else has. So we'll keep our fingers crossed.
We've been to Roswell 7 or 8 times over the last 4 years, definitely high plains and yes, about an hour to Ruidoso and Capitan.

The Business road trip has been pleasant. I'm staying in a suite with separate living room from the bedroom. My boyfriends' company pays for the hotels. It's raining outside tonight so I am staying in. I got a new swimsuit and two new sundresses for Florida. I've been singing Jimmy Buffet songs to my boyfriend :lol:

I hope everyone had a safe memorial weekend.

I am wondering if they have fried green tomatoes in Georgia. I had some of all places in Mount Charleston Nevada last month for the first time and loved them.

I live in Georgia, but I don't know where you'd get a fried green tomato. That's not something I'd consider eating. :p

What are the most fun cities in Georgia?

Tbilisi, lol :)

That question would translate differently depending on where you live in the world. :)

Is the American Georgia produce excellent wine and barbecue seasonings? :)

The Business road trip has been pleasant. I'm staying in a suite with separate living room from the bedroom. My boyfriends' company pays for the hotels. It's raining outside tonight so I am staying in. I got a new swimsuit and two new sundresses for Florida. I've been singing Jimmy Buffet songs to my boyfriend :lol:

I hope everyone had a safe memorial weekend.

I am wondering if they have fried green tomatoes in Georgia. I had some of all places in Mount Charleston Nevada last month for the first time and loved them.

I live in Georgia, but I don't know where you'd get a fried green tomato. That's not something I'd consider eating. :p

That question would translate differently depending on where you live in the world. :)

Our Georgia is 'deep south'. Not sure about their barbecue, but the traditional cuisine is seafood, corn on the cob, fried chicken, cornbread and such. This area produces a lot of pecans and peaches I believe. And you don't have breakfast without grits. :)

Last edited:

Our George is 'deep south'. Not sure about their barbecue, but the traditional cuisine is seafood, corn on the cob, fried chicken, cornbread and such. This area produces a lot of pecans and peaches I believe. And you don't have breakfast without grits. :)

Or you don't have breakfast with grits, if you are me. :D

Our George is 'deep south'. Not sure about their barbecue, but the traditional cuisine is seafood, corn on the cob, fried chicken, cornbread and such. This area produces a lot of pecans and peaches I believe. And you don't have breakfast without grits. :)

Well yeah, but you're special. :)

If you're a yankee you eat them like cream of wheat......... :D

Sometimes you do that even if you're a southerner. :)

I just had a bowl of bacon & cheese grits........ :thup:
What's funny is I was born in the UP (Michigan), the wife is a Virginian, I like grits and she hates em. :lol:

What's funny is I was born in the UP (Michigan), the wife is a Virginian, I like grits and she hates em. :lol:

I was raised as a New Mexican and that does not include grits pretty much anywhere. Hombre was raised in grits country. I like grits. He hates them. :)

I was raised as a New Mexican and that does not include grits pretty much anywhere. Hombre was raised in grits country. I like grits. He hates them. :)
The only real problem with grits is one has to make sure they have a toothbrush and floss available after eating them............

I can't stand grits, by I love polenta.

Go figure.

Go figure.
The wife loves quinoa, I can't stand it.

Go figure.

I can only eat quinoa mixed up with other stuff. My favorite local restaurant serves a lovely kale quinoa salad.

Go figure.

I can only eat quinoa mixed up with other stuff. My favorite local restaurant serves a lovely kale quinoa salad.
Even the smell nauseates me.

Go figure.

Even the smell nauseates me.

I've never smelled quinoa by itself so have no opinion on the matter whatsoever.

I will testify that Tofu is disgusting.

Just checking in between thunderstorms. They are predicted for tonight. I always disconnect my telephone line from my computer in case of the telephone poles being hit. But so far I have not heard any thunder.

Go figure.

I don't think I've ever had quinoa that I was aware of anyway. I have tried kale in various ways and so far have not cared for it. Much prefer spinach, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens.

Go figure.

I don't think I've ever had quinoa that I was aware of anyway. I have tried kale in various ways and so far have not cared for it. Much prefer spinach, mustard greens, turnip greens, collard greens.

I've developed a taste for kale as it has been a trendy salad ingredient around here for the past few years.

I also put it in my Not-Soylent Smoothie. I developed the recipe in response to the absolutely repulsive concept of Soylent, which is an actual product:

Soylent: What Happened When I Went 30 Days Without Food

Instead of this bland, flavorless gritty drink that causes constipation (no thanks), I made up my own smoothie recipe: kale, spinach, fresh pineapple, strawberries, lemon, protein powder, fermented essential greens powder, carrot juice, almond milk and chia oil. A minute or so in the Nutri-bullet and voila! Ooobleck! (That's my name for it).

It tastes GOOD! And is VV healthy.

Forum List

Back