USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for

Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
The Ringels in difficult transition
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Sherry's Mom for treatment to be successful, and wellness for Sherry's daughter, her dad, and family.

Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Nosmo's Uncle for good news and Aunt Roxie
Nosmo's Daisy

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

And it is important to remember that June 1 is National Doughnut Day:
5532832075_e4f71d1076_b-700x525.jpg

I have started reading books from my extensive library, instead of wasting time watching second rate daytime TV films. I am reading the history of English literature, of which I have an excellent four volumes book set in my library. I am also reading the History of western philosophy by Bertrand Russel. I alternate between the two.
Oooh! Oooh! "The History of English Literature" is in audio book form at the local library. Would you recommend it for a two-hour commute?

I cannot recommend it because Its not the same book. Mine is called ' English literature an illustrated record' by Richard Garnett and Edmund Gosse. Its a four volume work which is very well illustrated. It would loose a lot if it were an audio book as it has many pages of illustrated manuscripts. It was published in 1903.

The answer will still be b.

I was considering a steel mill using solar power with a large night shift.

I have started reading books from my extensive library, instead of wasting time watching second rate daytime TV films. I am reading the history of English literature, of which I have an excellent four volumes book set in my library. I am also reading the History of western philosophy by Bertrand Russel. I alternate between the two.
Oooh! Oooh! "The History of English Literature" is in audio book form at the local library. Would you recommend it for a two-hour commute?

I cannot recommend it because Its not the same book. Mine is called ' English literature an illustrated record' by Richard Garnett and Edmund Gosse. Its a four volume work which is very well illustrated. It would loose a lot if it were an audio book as it has many pages of illustrated manuscripts. It was published in 1903.
Probably not the same, then. I'm due to stop by the library and exchange my current a-book for another. It sure does make that 2-hour drive a lot more pleasant, listening to a story rather than whiny radio or pop music. Thanks for the heads up. It might make good reading, though, if I could find it. Such things do interest me.

Hot today, 68F!! I almost decided to sleep in the car with the ac running. At least the house stays nice and cool. I have determined that my two turkeys are far more productive than any of the hens. Each turkey lays an egg a day, and one of them is "broody". I'll have to trick her by putting fake eggs into the nest next time she comes out to eat. I'll build a nest box this weekend and see whether I can convince her to lay her clutch in that.
This so-called power system installed by my partner sucks. I'm setting up a meeting with a company that designs the things for real next week. We have most of the major components, just need actual solar batteries and an idea of how to properly wire things together.
I got a refresher course in dealing with a hoarder this past weekend. I've been loading junk onto the trailer to take to the dump. I'm cleaning three different places, including here in Willow. I've been stacking stuff to go since last summer. One of the items included is an old charcoal grill. It's rusted out, the wooden slats are rotted, the legs are falling off, and as I dragged it to the trailer, a wheel fell off. Well, rule #1 for hoarders is: never let them see you dragging their precious treasures away. Rule #2: if they see you, don't ask them to help you load it. I asked and was...well, rebuffed is a polite description,. I waited until he was busy elsewhere and loaded it myself, buried it under several bags of trash and other stuff, pulled a tarp over the whole thing and strapped it down. I came back the next morning and that grill is now piled over in the treeline. Guess I'll have to wait until he goes back to work, after his vacation is over...

Now that school is out for the summer, we can officially proclaim the season is open! The sweet corn is still a month away, but the strawberries are at the top of their game. We're waiting for the black cherries to be picked. I tasted one imported from California today at the supermarket. $4.99 a pound and it tasted like water.

Two great things mark summertime for school kids in this neck of the woods. One is a trip to Kennywood Park in nearby West Mifflin, PA (a neighborhood on the east side of Pittsburgh). Kennywood - Welcome to Thomas Town™!

The other is the annual arrival of the Snowcone Man. He came around every East Liverpool neighborhood in the afternoons. He drove a Ford Fairlane station wagon with picnic coolers filled with blocks of ice and an array of flavored sugar waters to drizzle across the top of a paper cone filled with shaved ice. My favorite flavor was blue and my mouth and tongue bore that windshield wiper fluid color until dinner time. Legend had it that if you were lucky enough to find a black ring drawn with magic marker in the bottom of the paper cone, your next snowcone was free.

They cost 15 cents a piece, but hey! Free is still free!

The Snowcone Man's advertising was a string stretched across the tailgate of his station wagon from which he hung little brass bells. No garish loudspeaker blasting a computer generated version of 'Chicken in the Straw' like the current ice cream vendor. Just a little jingling sound that alerted just enough children that word of mouth took over

The neighborhood communication system was very effective. As soon as one or two kids spotted the Snowcone Man, every kid within four blocks knew he was on his way. Much the same way every kid knew whose mother was calling them home. "Janice! Your Mom is calling!" And the message was relayed from St. Clair Avenue all the way back to Richardson Street in a matter of seconds.

But that was a time before video games and cell phones. We had to actually interact with one another. We organized wiffle ball games and teams for Red Rover and Hide & Seek.

Once, Mom and Pop bought a huge stand up deep freezer. It was bigger than our refrigerator and stood in our basement resplendent in late 60's antique copper color. That was all well and good, but the real thrill was the box it came in!

It was big enough for five boys to get in and, on our hands and knees, became a tank as we crawled it across the lawn. Once it was flexible enough to act as tank treads, we cut it down to form grass sleds that slid down the slopes of our steep back yard.

Pop would bring home pasteboard boxes from the print shop that we used as molds during the winter. We would fill them with snow and form blocks of packed snow we could build forts from.

I know that wee bairn often play more with the boxes than the Christmas toys that come in them. That tradition is not lost on boys of eight or nine if the right box comes along.

Next up, let's go to Kennywood!

Last edited:
One of my 2 coding classes is not giving me confidence. I spent hours and hours and hours today doing work that is coming due, and I definitely think this is stuff I should have personal instruction on. Trying to figure out the proper diagnoses from a medical report, then put them in the correct order, while using a program I was just exposed to for the first time a week or so ago, did not go well. I was able to get good scores on the various quizzes, but I didn't feel as if I'd be able to have done the work correctly on my own at a job.

The little one's birthday party is tomorrow. I still have 2 classes for which I need to do work which is due tomorrow. I don't know how much time it will take me, and I'm worried I can't afford to spend much time at the party. :(

One of my 2 coding classes is not giving me confidence. I spent hours and hours and hours today doing work that is coming due, and I definitely think this is stuff I should have personal instruction on. Trying to figure out the proper diagnoses from a medical report, then put them in the correct order, while using a program I was just exposed to for the first time a week or so ago, did not go well. I was able to get good scores on the various quizzes, but I didn't feel as if I'd be able to have done the work correctly on my own at a job.

The little one's birthday party is tomorrow. I still have 2 classes for which I need to do work which is due tomorrow. I don't know how much time it will take me, and I'm worried I can't afford to spend much time at the party. :(

You expect a great deal of yourself Montro. And I suspect you'll do as you usually do despite your worries. You'll do fine.

Hot today, 68F!! I almost decided to sleep in the car with the ac running. At least the house stays nice and cool. I have determined that my two turkeys are far more productive than any of the hens. Each turkey lays an egg a day, and one of them is "broody". I'll have to trick her by putting fake eggs into the nest next time she comes out to eat. I'll build a nest box this weekend and see whether I can convince her to lay her clutch in that.
This so-called power system installed by my partner sucks. I'm setting up a meeting with a company that designs the things for real next week. We have most of the major components, just need actual solar batteries and an idea of how to properly wire things together.
I got a refresher course in dealing with a hoarder this past weekend. I've been loading junk onto the trailer to take to the dump. I'm cleaning three different places, including here in Willow. I've been stacking stuff to go since last summer. One of the items included is an old charcoal grill. It's rusted out, the wooden slats are rotted, the legs are falling off, and as I dragged it to the trailer, a wheel fell off. Well, rule #1 for hoarders is: never let them see you dragging their precious treasures away. Rule #2: if they see you, don't ask them to help you load it. I asked and was...well, rebuffed is a polite description,. I waited until he was busy elsewhere and loaded it myself, buried it under several bags of trash and other stuff, pulled a tarp over the whole thing and strapped it down. I came back the next morning and that grill is now piled over in the treeline. Guess I'll have to wait until he goes back to work, after his vacation is over...

I've heard that hoarding is actually a mental illness and that these people cannot help themselves from hoarding. So, you will go through all of this trouble to clean up and within as little as a few months' time, these people will have started "collecting" more things. They are apparently people who have a mental illness severe enough that it interferes with their lives and their health.

Probably not the same, then. I'm due to stop by the library and exchange my current a-book for another. It sure does make that 2-hour drive a lot more pleasant, listening to a story rather than whiny radio or pop music. Thanks for the heads up. It might make good reading, though, if I could find it. Such things do interest me.

Here is an online book that might interest you.

HISTORY OF ENGLISH LITERATURE

Forum List

Back