USMB Coffee Shop IV

Going to see gators today. :eek-52:

You can see em now. :)

albert-2-1280x800.jpg

I have started reading books from my extensive library, instead of wasting time watching second rate daytime TV films. I am reading the history of English literature, of which I have an excellent four volumes book set in my library. I am also reading the History of western philosophy by Bertrand Russel. I alternate between the two.
Oooh! Oooh! "The History of English Literature" is in audio book form at the local library. Would you recommend it for a two-hour commute?

I cannot recommend it because Its not the same book. Mine is called ' English literature an illustrated record' by Richard Garnett and Edmund Gosse. Its a four volume work which is very well illustrated. It would loose a lot if it were an audio book as it has many pages of illustrated manuscripts. It was published in 1903.
Probably not the same, then. I'm due to stop by the library and exchange my current a-book for another. It sure does make that 2-hour drive a lot more pleasant, listening to a story rather than whiny radio or pop music. Thanks for the heads up. It might make good reading, though, if I could find it. Such things do interest me.

I found the book ' English literature an illustrated record' by Garnett and Gosse for sale on Amazon.
They only wanted £9 for one edition of it, although I also saw an edition for £180 I suggest you do a google search for it and you will soon find the edition for sale for £9. I expect the postage will cost a bit though because it will be a heavy parcel with four volumes. It is very well illustrated, and has a lot of information about early authors. I can't see how they even found all this information, and it must have taken years of researching old documents.

Edit, I just looked at the details of the amazon page, and I am afraid the £9 edition is only one volume, number two. The entire set of four books is over £100

Last edited:
Hot today, 68F!! I almost decided to sleep in the car with the ac running. At least the house stays nice and cool. I have determined that my two turkeys are far more productive than any of the hens. Each turkey lays an egg a day, and one of them is "broody". I'll have to trick her by putting fake eggs into the nest next time she comes out to eat. I'll build a nest box this weekend and see whether I can convince her to lay her clutch in that.
This so-called power system installed by my partner sucks. I'm setting up a meeting with a company that designs the things for real next week. We have most of the major components, just need actual solar batteries and an idea of how to properly wire things together.
I got a refresher course in dealing with a hoarder this past weekend. I've been loading junk onto the trailer to take to the dump. I'm cleaning three different places, including here in Willow. I've been stacking stuff to go since last summer. One of the items included is an old charcoal grill. It's rusted out, the wooden slats are rotted, the legs are falling off, and as I dragged it to the trailer, a wheel fell off. Well, rule #1 for hoarders is: never let them see you dragging their precious treasures away. Rule #2: if they see you, don't ask them to help you load it. I asked and was...well, rebuffed is a polite description,. I waited until he was busy elsewhere and loaded it myself, buried it under several bags of trash and other stuff, pulled a tarp over the whole thing and strapped it down. I came back the next morning and that grill is now piled over in the treeline. Guess I'll have to wait until he goes back to work, after his vacation is over...

I've heard that hoarding is actually a mental illness and that these people cannot help themselves from hoarding. So, you will go through all of this trouble to clean up and within as little as a few months' time, these people will have started "collecting" more things. They are apparently people who have a mental illness severe enough that it interferes with their lives and their health.

I'm dealing with a loved one--not Hombre--who is afflicted with the syndrome. This person constantly orders and orders and orders stuff that is then just piled up to fill every room in the house. This type of hoarder is usually the result of illness that keeps the person sedentary and in front of the TV and they get hooked on the shopping channels or just compulsively buy anything on line that can be ordered with their smart phone or tablet or whatever. Many have literally bankrupted themselves. Gracie 's landlord for instance comes to mind in that regard.

Others just never throw anything away or otherwise get rid of it so that the trash and junk and even garbage just piles up and piles up.

It is a genuine identifiable mental disorder/mental illness.

I wonder if there are Hoarders Anonymous groups like there are for other addictions?

Hot today, 68F!! I almost decided to sleep in the car with the ac running. At least the house stays nice and cool. I have determined that my two turkeys are far more productive than any of the hens. Each turkey lays an egg a day, and one of them is "broody". I'll have to trick her by putting fake eggs into the nest next time she comes out to eat. I'll build a nest box this weekend and see whether I can convince her to lay her clutch in that.
This so-called power system installed by my partner sucks. I'm setting up a meeting with a company that designs the things for real next week. We have most of the major components, just need actual solar batteries and an idea of how to properly wire things together.
I got a refresher course in dealing with a hoarder this past weekend. I've been loading junk onto the trailer to take to the dump. I'm cleaning three different places, including here in Willow. I've been stacking stuff to go since last summer. One of the items included is an old charcoal grill. It's rusted out, the wooden slats are rotted, the legs are falling off, and as I dragged it to the trailer, a wheel fell off. Well, rule #1 for hoarders is: never let them see you dragging their precious treasures away. Rule #2: if they see you, don't ask them to help you load it. I asked and was...well, rebuffed is a polite description,. I waited until he was busy elsewhere and loaded it myself, buried it under several bags of trash and other stuff, pulled a tarp over the whole thing and strapped it down. I came back the next morning and that grill is now piled over in the treeline. Guess I'll have to wait until he goes back to work, after his vacation is over...

I've heard that hoarding is actually a mental illness and that these people cannot help themselves from hoarding. So, you will go through all of this trouble to clean up and within as little as a few months' time, these people will have started "collecting" more things. They are apparently people who have a mental illness severe enough that it interferes with their lives and their health.
That's why, after rooming with my partner for about a year and a half, I bought myself that travel trailer and moved out. There's more to that whole story, of course, but I'll leave that alone for now. I cleaned the place up when I moved in; installed new floors, paper and painted the walls, mowed the yard and bought a gazebo for the hot tub. It didn't take very long for the yard to be filled up with junk again. I've mentioned before that my partner turns out to be a passive-aggressive type personality, too. Passive-aggressive is apparently such a successful coping mechanism that even if the "sufferer" admits they have the problem, there are few know successful ways to break them of the action. He was able to mask this initially, at least until we had started a business and bought property together. I wonder now whether there might be a link between the passive-aggressive personality and hoarding? I'm dreading the time when we finally get around to selling the house in Anchorage.

I just did a google search for a book I have about martyrs by John Foxe. I saw the third volume of 1684 which I have, and it was priced at £850 But I have all three volumes. But volumes one and two are from the 1632 edition.
I wonder what it is all worth. Whatever its worth I am bound to make a profit if I sell it because I only paid ten pounds for the 1684 volume.

I KNEW THERE WAS MONEY IN OLD BOOKS.

The reason there is money in antiquarian books is that most book sellers have no idea what they are worth.
So if you see a big old book in a secondhand book shop and it has the letter F in place of the letter S it means its printed before 1800 and may be worth something. It helps if you can read roman numerals because they are usually dated in numerals not numbers. There are a lot of old bibles around and most of them are not worth anything, but some are very valuable and its worth knowing which ones.

This whole town is nothing BUT hoarders. Everyone I have met...they all are hoarders. I have not gone in ONE house that is not full of crap with tunnels and paths through shitloads of junk. Not one. And this town does not have any ordinances that I know of..or are enforced, because all have crap in the front yards too. The rich section of town...it is intermingled with crappy trailer trash looking homes that aren't even trailers although the majority of homes here ARE trailers. I swear..I have never seen the like. Northern Cali is so very different than central or southern cali.

:cuckoo:

That's why, after rooming with my partner for about a year and a half, I bought myself that travel trailer and moved out. There's more to that whole story, of course, but I'll leave that alone for now. I cleaned the place up when I moved in; installed new floors, paper and painted the walls, mowed the yard and bought a gazebo for the hot tub. It didn't take very long for the yard to be filled up with junk again. I've mentioned before that my partner turns out to be a passive-aggressive type personality, too. Passive-aggressive is apparently such a successful coping mechanism that even if the "sufferer" admits they have the problem, there are few know successful ways to break them of the action. He was able to mask this initially, at least until we had started a business and bought property together. I wonder now whether there might be a link between the passive-aggressive personality and hoarding? I'm dreading the time when we finally get around to selling the house in Anchorage.

Have you ever watched the TV series on I think A&E "Hoarders"? The gist is that loved ones of the person overwhelmed by his/her obsessive compulsive hoarding employ a team of experts to deal with it. (If the process is televised, presumably A&E pays all the fees and expenses.) The team works with the hoarder who agrees to allow them to clean the place up. Several truckloads of junk, trash, garbage will be removed from the home, sometimes which is extremely stressful for the hoarder but with counseling they allow it. Invariably the owner is then thrilled with his clean, presentable home.

They always have a postscript at the end of the show reporting how the person is doing weeks or months later. Some have managed to stop their hoarding compulsion. Others they sadly report that the home is filling up again.

This whole town is nothing BUT hoarders. Everyone I have met...they all are hoarders. I have not gone in ONE house that is not full of crap with tunnels and paths through shitloads of junk. Not one. And this town does not have any ordinances that I know of..or are enforced, because all have crap in the front yards too. The rich section of town...it is intermingled with crappy trailer trash looking homes that aren't even trailers although the majority of homes here ARE trailers. I swear..I have never seen the like. Northern Cali is so very different than central or southern cali.

That is weird. Maybe hoarders move there because they feel comfortable and aren't embarrassed by the appearance of their homes?

That is weird. Maybe hoarders move there because they feel comfortable and aren't embarrassed by the appearance of their homes?
No clue. All I know is..its culture shock to me. I am used to clean looking homes, yards, etc. Up here...its a mess.

Meanwhile...it is 94 degrees in this hell hole. I am so eager to go back home to the beach.

Forum List

Back