USMB Coffee Shop IV

An update on things around here.

First, know that all the trees are leafed out, even the stubborn catalpas. While the azaleas and dogwoods have packed up their beautiful blooms for the year, the rhododendrons are in full flower gracing the wooded hillsides with purple and white and magenta. The Tri-State Garden Club kicked off summer by planting the half barrel planters at the entrance to Thompson Park. Geraniums in red, white, peach and pink are in the soil-filled barrels along with spikes and vinca vines.

I saw them as I finally took Daisy the Mutt for a walk this afternoon. Still in the midst of her pharmaceutical regimen, she found the energy to swat the sole of my foot with her paw and implore me to put the collar on her and drive her over to the park. She found the will, even in her anti-biotic and steroid haze, to chase three squirrels back up into the trees. One goofy chipmunk was convinced to seek shelter in a catch basin after it drew Daisy's attention.

She has four different pills to swallow twice a day. Getting that medicine down her throat has been our little game since Thursday evening. She is a sneaky little minx stashing the pills between her lips and gums while she fakes swallowing them. I find them stuck in her whiskers or clicking on the hardwood as they tumble from her mouth. I gently hold her muzzle closed and stroke her throat until her little pink tongue flicks out of her mouth.

She found her appetite a little yesterday. She gobbled down a container of Little Caesar's Porterhouse Steak formulation. It was either appealing or merely novel, but it made me happy to see her eat. I fixed a batch of white rice and canned chicken meat from which she eats the chicken and puts the rice on the floor next to her dish.

It's raining tonight. Some thunder, some breeze but nothing like the folks along our gorgeous Gulf Coast are putting up with. From the forecast track of this storm, we should be getting wet by Thursday or Friday. I wonder if our next weekend will be ruined as this weekend for our southern friends is being ruined.

Meanwhile, the Memorial Day weekend marches on. The parade is Monday morning and, after a flag ceremony at Riverview Cemetery, a car show and pony rides for the kids downtown and picnics in many back yards, the weekend wraps up with a fireworks display Monday after sunset.

But the point of the holiday is to remember, honor and thank those who Lincoln said gave their last full measure of devotion in service to our nation. May it never be said that we citizens have failed to show our gratitude to our service women and men. They have never failed us.

Happy Memorial Day everybody!

Last edited:
Looks like some folks on the Gulf will be cancelling bar-b-ques for Memorial Day. It will likely miss Sherry and WelfareQueen but Kat and Ernie S. appear will take a direct hit from Alberto.

We've already had lots of rain over the past week and the ground is saturated. Now they are calling for 6 to 8 inches. Areas to the south of us are prone to flooding, and had flash flooding yesterday. I hope everyone stays high and dry, especially Drifter.:D

I guess it is spreading out further than the map shows. Well everybody be sale.

We had storms last night, but I can't call them thunder storms because there was lightning, but no thunder !
I only noticed when I went to the kitchen to make some coffee and I saw the lightning out of the window. It was almost continuous flashes every second. Then later there started being thunder with it. and there was a continuous rumble for about an hour. The flashes were so frequent there was no pause in the thunder.

Naturally I unplugged my computer modem and my television aerial . But what scares me is the half an hour or so where there was no thunder, because I had no warning, and my telephone line could have been hit by lighting and my computer fried. I don't understand how there could be lighting without thunder, but from now on I will have to keep an eye open for it.

An update on things around here.

First, know that all the trees are leafed out, even the stubborn catalpas. While the azaleas and dogwoods have packed up their beautiful blooms for the year, the rhododendrons are in full flower gracing the wooded hillsides with purple and white and magenta. The Tri-State Garden Club kicked off summer by planting the half barrel planters at the entrance to Thompson Park. Geraniums in red, white, peach and pink are in the soil-filled barrels along with spikes and vinca vines.

I saw them as I finally took Daisy the Mutt for a walk this afternoon. Still in the midst of her pharmaceutical regimen, she found the energy to swat the sole of my foot with her paw and implore me to put the collar on her and drive her over to the park. She found the will, even in her anti-biotic and steroid haze, to chase three squirrels back up into the trees. One goofy chipmunk was convinced to seek shelter in a catch basin after it drew Daisy's attention.

She has four different pills to swallow twice a day. Getting that medicine down her throat has been our little game since Thursday evening. She is a sneaky little minx stashing the pills between her lips and gums while she fakes swallowing them. I find them stuck in her whiskers or clicking on the hardwood as they tumble from her mouth. I gently hold her muzzle closed and stroke her throat until her little pink tongue flicks out of her mouth.

She found her appetite a little yesterday. She gobbled down a container of Little Caesar's Porterhouse Steak formulation. It was either appealing or merely novel, but it made me happy to see her eat. I fixed a batch of white rice and canned chicken meat from which she eats the chicken and puts the rice on the floor next to her dish.

It's raining tonight. Some thunder, some breeze but nothing like the folks along our gorgeous Gulf Coast are putting up with. From the forecast track of this storm, we should be getting wet by Thursday or Friday. I wonder if our next weekend will be ruined as this weekend for our southern friends is being ruined.

Meanwhile, the Memorial Day weekend marches on. The parade is Monday morning and, after a flag ceremony at Riverview Cemetery, a car show and pony rides for the kids downtown and picnics in many back yards, the weekend wraps up with a fireworks display Monday after sunset.

But the point of the holiday is to remember, honor and thank those who Lincoln said gave their last full measure of devotion in service to our nation. May it never be said that we citizens have failed to show our gratitude to our service women and men. They have never failed us.

Happy Memorial Day everybody!

Carly the mini doxie, when living with us, was prescribed some liver support pills by the vet. These are huge white pills that I would have a difficult time swallowing. So I used a pill cutter--you can get one at the drug store or Walmart or such for a couple of bucks--to cut them into quarters.

Then I tore off a small portion of a Greenies pill pocket--the vet or a pet supply store probably has these or you can order them on Amazon--and wrapped it around each quarter of the pill so the pill was encased. Carly snarfed those down like crazy in one quick swallow. They worked for any medication I needed to give her.

Looks like some folks on the Gulf will be cancelling bar-b-ques for Memorial Day. It will likely miss Sherry and WelfareQueen but Kat and Ernie S. appear will take a direct hit from Alberto.

We're expected to get 4-6 inches of rain here....maybe as much as 8. Kat and Ernie are supposed to get much more. Too soon in the season for this kind of thing imho.

Last edited:
We had storms last night, but I can't call them thunder storms because there was lightning, but no thunder !
I only noticed when I went to the kitchen to make some coffee and I saw the lightning out of the window. It was almost continuous flashes every second. Then later there started being thunder with it. and there was a continuous rumble for about an hour. The flashes were so frequent there was no pause in the thunder.

Naturally I unplugged my computer modem and my television aerial . But what scares me is the half an hour or so where there was no thunder, because I had no warning, and my telephone line could have been hit by lighting and my computer fried. I don't understand how there could be lighting without thunder, but from now on I will have to keep an eye open for it.

Sometimes there will be distant thunderstorms in massive cloud formations that you can see the lightning, but they have not yet gotten close enough to hear the thunder. Especially in West\ Texas some of those were quite beautiful with continuous lightning as you described.

I believe the farthest away from the storm that we can hear the thunder is about 15 miles, usually closer. But we can see the lightning in towering thunderheads that are 30 miles or more away.

(So says Foxfyre, amateur weather watcher/studier.)

We're expected to get 4-6 inches of rain. Kat and Ernie are supposed to get much more. Too soon in the season for this kind of thing imho.

That's a lot of rain. We aren't equipped for it so rain of that quantity literally would flood out several parts of town, especially if it comes all at once. Stay safe and dry.

I see now that most of the western coast of Florida, the panhandle, and all of Alabama coast is now under storm warnings. Huge storm. They expect Alberto to strengthen and be fully tropical by landfall sometime tomorrow maybe. Storm surges up to 4 feet but they don't it expect it to reach hurricane strength. And yes, it does seem really early in the season for this.

Last edited:
Good morning all. Beautiful day here too--not too hot at least yet, and a gorgeous clear blue sky. Waiting for friends from Kansas to stop by and visit before they leave for the airport later. Then this afternoon we're having a Memorial Day block party at the neighbors. Everybody have a great day.

Not to hot here too. A dry evening, I see Venus, Jupiter and full Moon at the sky :)
And tasting red dry, imagining I'm Spanish flibustier :)

Sure wish just a piece of Alberto could come through here--an inch or so of slow rain would do wonders for us and knock down our extreme fire danger index. But we can't handle the rains that those of you in the path are getting or will get.

I just wrote a letter to the local paper complaining that someone may be killing the local foxes . I took hundreds of photos last year, but I have not even seen or heard a single fox this year. I think the council may have culled them, in which case I will complain. Or some other horrible bastard may have killed them.

I just wrote a letter to the local paper complaining that someone may be killing the local foxes . I took hundreds of photos last year, but I have not even seen or heard a single fox this year. I think the council may have culled them, in which case I will complain. Or some other horrible bastard may have killed them.

It is always a problem. We have a couple of families of raccoons in our neighborhood that so far are being tolerated by locals but contact with cats and dogs and kids is always a concern as they are fairly large and their bite is ferocious, plus they haven't been innoculated for rabies and such.

We also have some roadrunner families and some resident wild rabbits that are fun though if the rabbits become too well populated, that could be a problem for landscaping and gardens. And it is disheartening when any of these fall prey to passing automobile traffic.

The Business road trip has been pleasant. I'm staying in a suite with separate living room from the bedroom. My boyfriends' company pays for the hotels. It's raining outside tonight so I am staying in. I got a new swimsuit and two new sundresses for Florida. I've been singing Jimmy Buffet songs to my boyfriend :lol:

I hope everyone had a safe memorial weekend.

I am wondering if they have fried green tomatoes in Georgia. I had some of all places in Mount Charleston Nevada last month for the first time and loved them.

The Business road trip has been pleasant. I'm staying in a suite with separate living room from the bedroom. My boyfriends' company pays for the hotels. It's raining outside tonight so I am staying in. I got a new swimsuit and two new sundresses for Florida. I've been singing Jimmy Buffet songs to my boyfriend :lol:

I hope everyone had a safe memorial weekend.

I am wondering if they have fried green tomatoes in Georgia. I had some of all places in Mount Charleston Nevada last month for the first time and loved them.

I live in Georgia, but I don't know where you'd get a fried green tomato. That's not something I'd consider eating. :p

Forum List

Back