USMB Coffee Shop IV

I ordered a nice new universal gym. Sold my dining room table because all it ever did was collect dust, and the gym is going where the table was. Got the room all cleaned up and rearranged yesterday in preparation for the new gym arriving today, and I see the shipping company has changed the delivery date from the 4th to the 5th. Well TICK ME OFF. It's been sitting in Milwaukee since 8/30, and Milwaukee isn't that far away. So, guess I'll to find something else to do today to channel all that stored up anticipation energy into, since I won't be assembling a 359 pound gym.

I'm having an exciting day too. Dancare (our carpet cleaning people) are here treating the pee spots left as presents by Carly the Dachshund and Sally the Shitzu when they visit--they went away at the last carpet cleaning but have reappeared. At least they're doing it for free. Part of their friendly service. :)

WQ and I should be welcoming our Granddaughter into the world on Thursday. :twirl:
After a hospital visit last night, my daughter's doctor told her that she's reserving a room for her in labor and delivery Wednesday night, and inducing Thursday morning. We are so excited to hold our princess. :love_ya4:

Woo hoo! And we'll all be pulling for you. We all love our kids so much, but those grandbabies are really REALLY special. :)
And we'll all be pulling for you.

Well....... Not literally....... :eusa_whistle:

I ordered a nice new universal gym. Sold my dining room table because all it ever did was collect dust, and the gym is going where the table was. Got the room all cleaned up and rearranged yesterday in preparation for the new gym arriving today, and I see the shipping company has changed the delivery date from the 4th to the 5th. Well TICK ME OFF. It's been sitting in Milwaukee since 8/30, and Milwaukee isn't that far away. So, guess I'll to find something else to do today to channel all that stored up anticipation energy into, since I won't be assembling a 359 pound gym.

I'm having an exciting day too. Dancare (our carpet cleaning people) are here treating the pee spots left as presents by Carly the Dachshund and Sally the Shitzu when they visit--they went away at the last carpet cleaning but have reappeared. At least they're doing it for free. Part of their friendly service. :)
Carpet? Carpet? I should know that word from somewhere. Nope, nothing. :dunno:

Another sign of approaching fall/winter. The sandhill cranes are moving south. First, you only hear a couple but as they gather in larger groups and start their flight South, the noise gets impressive.
And the daylight is getting shorter where I live in the Pacific NW. Last night at 8:30 it was getting darker too early and I would love a month longer of daylight hours. We have had a short summer considering so much of the smoke from neighboring states have darkened our skies. We have contended with a few of our own. It is dry for the Oregon Coast. Never thought I would be praying for rain here. :eusa_pray:
And our days get shorter faster. We just start with longer days. Right now, it's "night" at around 9:30 pm and gets light around 6 am, or so. But all that will change. We're swiftly approaching the Fall equinox and then it's just darker and darker until just before Christmas.
It's been so stink-hot all summer, I've put off some of the necessary chores, specifically, putting up wood for the winter. August was so wet and miserable, I put off that wood-getting thing again. This past week has been spectacular and I've managed to split a couple of cords of wood and have a pile more waiting to be split and stacked. A normal winter will require 10-12 cords of wood to stay warm. And to think Californians have wasted so many BTUs during a hot, dry summer!:aug08_031:

Another sign of approaching fall/winter. The sandhill cranes are moving south. First, you only hear a couple but as they gather in larger groups and start their flight South, the noise gets impressive.
There's signs up here along certain segments of highways saying, "caution, Cranes ahead." I saw what I gathered was two adults and an offspring by the road on my way home from a friends place the other day. I wanted to stop and get a pic with my phone but there was cars behind me. Impressive, large birds. I love to hear their call. You can hear it for a long, long way off.
Around here, the sandhill cranes are a harbinger of Fall and encroaching Winter. I love this time of year, so fragrant and colorful. Too bad it's sad, too.

I wonder if we get any of your Sandhill cranes here? Thousands and thousands of them wnter here in New Mexico, especially in the Bosque del Apache wildlife preserve just south of Albuquerque.

Sandhill-Cranes-at-Sunrise-Bosque-del-Apache-National-Wildlife-Refuge-Socorro-New-Mexico-23.jpg
It's a possibility. I've read that most of our sandhills originate either from the Pacific or the Mid-continent flyway populations.

And we send all possible positive happy vibes and prayers to Florida as Sherry and WelfareQueen expect her beautiful new grandaughter.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter post surgery on August 21)
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition
Sherry's daughter and granddaughter yet to arrive.

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

Great-Expectations-Logo-1.jpg

Well, I'm in it now. My name was in the paper Sunday. The East Liverpool Community Learning Center publishes a story every Sunday about the activities there and upcoming events. The story said I was going to share classic movies with the community.

So yesterday I went up there and brought my first two offerings. I decided to open it up with "To Kill a Mockingbird" because it's about the sweetest movie ever made and it's well known. But my motive for choosing the tale of Atticus Finch and Scout and Boo Radley is how well it dovetails with my second choice. "Night of the Hunter" with Robert Mitchum and Lillian Gish is also a story of a crime and told from the perspective of children. It is set right here on the banks of the Ohio River, giving it a local twist.

I spoke with the board members and they agree that October should feature Bela Lugosi as "Dracula" and Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster. I want to throw in "Cat People" because it's scary without being blatant about it.

I fired up the whole movie projection system. There's a DVD player and an overhead projector that shines on a large screen that hangs from the ceiling of my old minister's office. Full surround sound and about thirty seats arraigned in rows fill up the space. The Learning Center already shows family movies in the afternoon. They even have a popcorn machine and a modest concession stand.

It's not as opulent as the old State Theater downtown was, but it's not as seedy and sticky as the old Columbia Theater was either. They are promoting my screenings at what we charitably call 'old folks homes' by providing shuttle bus transportation to the Learning Center. Thursday nights starting at 8:00 so everyone can be home by 10:30. I can't wait!

Well, I'm in it now. My name was in the paper Sunday. The East Liverpool Community Learning Center publishes a story every Sunday about the activities there and upcoming events. The story said I was going to share classic movies with the community.

So yesterday I went up there and brought my first two offerings. I decided to open it up with "To Kill a Mockingbird" because it's about the sweetest movie ever made and it's well known. But my motive for choosing the tale of Atticus Finch and Scout and Boo Radley is how well it dovetails with my second choice. "Night of the Hunter" with Robert Mitchum and Lillian Gish is also a story of a crime and told from the perspective of children. It is set right here on the banks of the Ohio River, giving it a local twist.

I spoke with the board members and they agree that October should feature Bela Lugosi as "Dracula" and Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster. I want to throw in "Cat People" because it's scary without being blatant about it.

I fired up the whole movie projection system. There's a DVD player and an overhead projector that shines on a large screen that hangs from the ceiling of my old minister's office. Full surround sound and about thirty seats arraigned in rows fill up the space. The Learning Center already shows family movies in the afternoon. They even have a popcorn machine and a modest concession stand.

It's not as opulent as the old State Theater downtown was, but it's not as seedy and sticky as the old Columbia Theater was either. They are promoting my screenings at what we charitably call 'old folks homes' by providing shuttle bus transportation to the Learning Center. Thursday nights starting at 8:00 so everyone can be home by 10:30. I can't wait!
I'd love seeing all those again. Movies where actors acted, dialog was clever, and there were no green-screen "special" effects. There's nothing so special as people using their own talent to depict a story. You should try "The Lion in Winter" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" for spectacular dialog that so perfectly captures the humanity of the situation.

I'd love seeing all those again. Movies where actors acted, dialog was clever, and there were no green-screen "special" effects. There's nothing so special as people using their own talent to depict a story. You should try "The Lion in Winter" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" for spectacular dialog that so perfectly captures the humanity of the situation.
I was thinking about showing "A Man for All Seasons" and "12 Angry Men" back to back on Courtroom Drama week. November should be movies about family life so "How Green was My Valley" and "The Magnificent Ambersons" might do. We could show musicals in January. "My Fair Lady", "An American in Paris", "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

I'd like to horn in on the family matinee screenings and show "Pinocchio" and "Life with Father". Maybe even some Ma and Pa Kettle movies.

I was thinking about showing "A Man for All Seasons" and "12 Angry Men" back to back on Courtroom Drama week. November should be movies about family life so "How Green was My Valley" and "The Magnificent Ambersons" might do. We could show musicals in January. "My Fair Lady", "An American in Paris", "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

I'd like to horn in on the family matinee screenings and show "Pinocchio" and "Life with Father". Maybe even some Ma and Pa Kettle movies.
I adore Ma and Pa Kettle! They are so down-to-earth and...real. Gotta watch out for that Geoduck tribe, though!

I was excited this morning... until I still didn't see "out for delivery," as it should be since the 5th was right there as the delivery date on their tracking. So I called and called and finally someone answered, and they said no, the item is NOT out for delivery, it will be TOMORROW now. So that's the SECOND time they've changed it to a later date, and if it doesn't show up tomorrow, WWIII is going to start because I'm not going to be a happy camper. Well I'm not now... but I really won't be if that thing is delayed AGAIN. I'll tell them to EAT IT. I'll find somewhere else to order one. I take people's word, and I like to hold them to their word, so when people go back on their word, I get aggravated.

Last edited:

I was excited this morning... until I still didn't see "out for delivery," as it should be since the 5th was right there as the delivery date on their tracking. So I called and called and finally someone answered, and they said no, the item is NOT out for delivery, it will be TOMORROW now. So that's the SECOND time they've changed it to a later date, and if it doesn't show up tomorrow, WWIII is going to start because I'm not going to be a happy camper. Well I'm not now... but I really won't be if that thing is delayed AGAIN. I'll tell them to EAT IT. I'll find somewhere else to order one. I take people's word, and I like to hold them to their word, so when people go back on their word, I get aggravated.

Yup. Stuff does happen and if they have a good enough excuse, I can be pretty forgiving up to a point. But those who give me promises when I buy their product had better expect to keep those promises if they want to keep me as a customer. Even my doctors etc. know they better not keep me waiting too long or else I am quite capable of throwing a hissy fit in the waiting room. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

That sounds great. Be careful how you advertise it though so as not to give them any idea that you are making any kind of profit--even from donations--or you could run afoul of copyright stuff even at the church. My former church found that out the hard way--they won their day in court, but it was a mess for awhile.

That sounds great. Be careful how you advertise it though so as not to give them any idea that you are making any kind of profit--even from donations--or you could run afoul of copyright stuff even at the church. My former church found that out the hard way--they won their day in court, but it was a mess for awhile.
The only charge will be for popcorn and Milk Duds. I don't make a dime. But the marketing aspect will be all on the Learning Center. Should I lawyer up now?

The only charge will be for popcorn and Milk Duds. I don't make a dime. But the marketing aspect will be all on the Learning Center. Should I lawyer up now?

Hard to say. When it comes to government some really weird stuff happens. :)

Just had a t-storm move through, finally hit us this time as opposed to skirting us as usual........ :lol:
The temp went from the upper 80s down to the upper 50s.

Noticed a Rufus hummingbird around the yard a couple of weeks ago and put out one of the feeders, about a week ago a Ruby Throat showed up and the two have been battling it out for control of the feeder ever since. The Ruby Throat appears to have gained the upper hand though and will even dive bomb me if I get too close. :lol:

Forum List

Back