USMB Coffee Shop IV

One other interesting thing happened after I put the feeder out. Almost every time I went out back the Rufus would zip over and hover about a foot away from my face then zip back over to the feeder. :dunno:

Noticed a Rufus hummingbird around the yard a couple of weeks ago and put out one of the feeders, about a week ago a Ruby Throat showed up and the two have been battling it out for control of the feeder ever since. The Ruby Throat appears to have gained the upper hand though and will even dive bomb me if I get too close. :lol:
My brother has a hummingbird feeder. He has identified three distinct birds. A pair of Ruby Throated hummingbirds who are mates. And a third he calls 'The Thief'..it seems the Thief is more nervous than the mating pair. When he comes to the feeder his head is on a swivel. For every sip he takes, he spends three times the time looking over his shoulder for the approach of one of the mates. They have been known to dive bomb him right off the feeder.

When I was in Puerto Rico there was an open air cafe at NAS Roosevelt Roads. I'd take my lunch there. They would put a bowl of maraschino cherries out and the hummingbirds would flock to it. The first time one flew passed my head to gobble up the cherry juice I thought it was the biggest mosquito in the Caribbean!

Noticed a Rufus hummingbird around the yard a couple of weeks ago and put out one of the feeders, about a week ago a Ruby Throat showed up and the two have been battling it out for control of the feeder ever since. The Ruby Throat appears to have gained the upper hand though and will even dive bomb me if I get too close. :lol:
My brother has a hummingbird feeder. He has identified three distinct birds. A pair of Ruby Throated hummingbirds who are mates. And a third he calls 'The Thief'..it seems the Thief is more nervous than the mating pair. When he comes to the feeder his head is on a swivel. For every sip he takes, he spends three times the time looking over his shoulder for the approach of one of the mates. They have been known to dive bomb him right off the feeder.

When I was in Puerto Rico there was an open air cafe at NAS Roosevelt Roads. I'd take my lunch there. They would put a bowl of maraschino cherries out and the hummingbirds would flock to it. The first time one flew passed my head to gobble up the cherry juice I thought it was the biggest mosquito in the Caribbean!
They're highly territorial.

They're highly territorial.
Avian chihuahuas

every-morning-i-long-to-hold-you-i-need-you-5628404.png

We had a lot of both when we lived on the mountain. This time of year though they have all pretty well left northern New Mexico and are headed south to Mexico or Central or South America. Folks working the oil platforms out in the Gulf report they sometimes stop over for a rest out there So. . .hummingbird feeders on the oil rigs. :)

Well, this coming monday is MrGracies 71st birthday. I offered to pay for a nice dinner out, and he declined. He was shocked when I showed him the online menu of the place I wanted to take him cuz they have Prime Rib..which is what he wants. OMG. Its been many many many MANY years since we have gone out to a nice dinner, so prices are....WOW. Horrible, lol.
He said he will stay home and have a sammich. :D

One other interesting thing happened after I put the feeder out. Almost every time I went out back the Rufus would zip over and hover about a foot away from my face then zip back over to the feeder. :dunno:
We finally got moved from where we were to my friends house a block over. For such a short distance, its a BIG change. No hummers here. Not many birds in the trees either. Probably because we are right next to a very busy and noisy road. We do have a family of quail that passes thru though. I am hoping once I get my little designated yard fixed up with shrubs and stuff, more birds will come and hang out like what was at the house 5 doors down and around the bend.

Well, I'm in it now. My name was in the paper Sunday. The East Liverpool Community Learning Center publishes a story every Sunday about the activities there and upcoming events. The story said I was going to share classic movies with the community.

So yesterday I went up there and brought my first two offerings. I decided to open it up with "To Kill a Mockingbird" because it's about the sweetest movie ever made and it's well known. But my motive for choosing the tale of Atticus Finch and Scout and Boo Radley is how well it dovetails with my second choice. "Night of the Hunter" with Robert Mitchum and Lillian Gish is also a story of a crime and told from the perspective of children. It is set right here on the banks of the Ohio River, giving it a local twist.

I spoke with the board members and they agree that October should feature Bela Lugosi as "Dracula" and Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster. I want to throw in "Cat People" because it's scary without being blatant about it.

I fired up the whole movie projection system. There's a DVD player and an overhead projector that shines on a large screen that hangs from the ceiling of my old minister's office. Full surround sound and about thirty seats arraigned in rows fill up the space. The Learning Center already shows family movies in the afternoon. They even have a popcorn machine and a modest concession stand.

It's not as opulent as the old State Theater downtown was, but it's not as seedy and sticky as the old Columbia Theater was either. They are promoting my screenings at what we charitably call 'old folks homes' by providing shuttle bus transportation to the Learning Center. Thursday nights starting at 8:00 so everyone can be home by 10:30. I can't wait!
I'd love seeing all those again. Movies where actors acted, dialog was clever, and there were no green-screen "special" effects. There's nothing so special as people using their own talent to depict a story. You should try "The Lion in Winter" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" for spectacular dialog that so perfectly captures the humanity of the situation.

I have the DVD of 'the lion in winter' the dialogue is equal to Shakespeare.

Fall is starting to show itself here. I had a nice drive through the mountains yesterday so pretty.
Here too... after the second rainiest August in history, and September coming in the same way, it's FINALLY COOLER and FAR less humid and the sun is shining this morning. I absolutely love it, had to open some windows. Seems like we went straight from a winter that wouldn't give up it's grips to summer this year and it's been HOT ever since. Never seen my lawn so green and PLUSH though with all this rain.

Last edited:
We finally got moved from where we were to my friends house a block over. For such a short distance, its a BIG change. No hummers here. Not many birds in the trees either. Probably because we are right next to a very busy and noisy road. We do have a family of quail that passes thru though. I am hoping once I get my little designated yard fixed up with shrubs and stuff, more birds will come and hang out like what was at the house 5 doors down and around the bend.

Good to see you Gracie. Missed you. Tell us more about the move. Is this the place with all the dogs? I am hoping it is much better for you and Mr. G.

Well, I'm in it now. My name was in the paper Sunday. The East Liverpool Community Learning Center publishes a story every Sunday about the activities there and upcoming events. The story said I was going to share classic movies with the community.

So yesterday I went up there and brought my first two offerings. I decided to open it up with "To Kill a Mockingbird" because it's about the sweetest movie ever made and it's well known. But my motive for choosing the tale of Atticus Finch and Scout and Boo Radley is how well it dovetails with my second choice. "Night of the Hunter" with Robert Mitchum and Lillian Gish is also a story of a crime and told from the perspective of children. It is set right here on the banks of the Ohio River, giving it a local twist.

I spoke with the board members and they agree that October should feature Bela Lugosi as "Dracula" and Boris Karloff as Frankenstein's monster. I want to throw in "Cat People" because it's scary without being blatant about it.

I fired up the whole movie projection system. There's a DVD player and an overhead projector that shines on a large screen that hangs from the ceiling of my old minister's office. Full surround sound and about thirty seats arraigned in rows fill up the space. The Learning Center already shows family movies in the afternoon. They even have a popcorn machine and a modest concession stand.

It's not as opulent as the old State Theater downtown was, but it's not as seedy and sticky as the old Columbia Theater was either. They are promoting my screenings at what we charitably call 'old folks homes' by providing shuttle bus transportation to the Learning Center. Thursday nights starting at 8:00 so everyone can be home by 10:30. I can't wait!
I'd love seeing all those again. Movies where actors acted, dialog was clever, and there were no green-screen "special" effects. There's nothing so special as people using their own talent to depict a story. You should try "The Lion in Winter" and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" for spectacular dialog that so perfectly captures the humanity of the situation.

I have the DVD of 'the lion in winter' the dialogue is equal to Shakespeare.

That reminded me that a couple of Sundays ago, we watched the movie "The Wind and the Lion" starring Sean Connery and Candice Bergen. A wonderful movie.

Thank you Foxfyre :)

I'm trying my best for a happy one.
Who knows for sure what a 666 birthday will be.
I'll tell you tomorrow. :biggrin:

I don't have any plans today.
I got my special bakery cake from Winchester, Massachusetts yesterday and it's delicious.

Fall is starting to show itself here. I had a nice drive through the mountains yesterday so pretty.
Here too... after the second rainiest August in history, and September coming in the same way, it's FINALLY COOLER and FAR less humid and the sun is shining this morning. I absolutely love it, had to open some windows. Seems like we went straight from a winter that wouldn't give up it's grips to summer this year and it's been HOT ever since. Never seen my lawn so green and PLUSH though with all this rain.

We are at the tail end of our annual monsoon season meaning showers or thunderstorms can and usually do occur every day--we rarely ever get more than less than an inch of rain though. But this past week we went BAM from heat in the 90's to high 70's or low 80's fall weather and at least a light blanket necessary at night. I'm loving that too. We will have the air conditioner shut down and winterized late this month or early October, my favorite month of the year.

I got my special bakery cake from Winchester, Massachusetts yesterday and it's delicious.

I think we Virgos--my birthday is the 19th this month--don't find making birthdays a big deal all that important. But its nice for them to be acknowledged. :) Hombre will let me pick out my birthday present--I am not big on surprises either--and Dana and Betty have already decided to pick up a Dion's pizza and they and Carly the Dachshund and Sally the Shitzu will be over for lunch or dinner that day. And it will be great.

(And I bet millions of people survive a 666 birthday. :) )

I think we Virgos--my birthday is the 19th this month--don't find making birthdays a big deal all that important. But its nice for them to be acknowledged. :) Hombre will let me pick out my birthday present--I am not big on surprises either--and Dana and Betty have already decided to pick up a Dion's pizza and they and Carly the Dachshund and Sally the Shitzu will be over for lunch or dinner that day. And it will be great.

I sure hope so! :)
Ever since I was a kid I've wondered what this day might be like for all of us, on this particular day. It will pass, I hope peacefully and happy for us all.
You and Mr. P have the same birthday!

Mr. P is spoiling me rotten, he just went to McDonalds to pick me up their big breakfast meal after I fed him his. Mumbling about I'm not cooking at all today. :)
He has something in the works, because he gets this certain evil grin when he does surprise's.

I sure hope so! :)
Ever since I was a kid I've wondered what this day might be like for all of us, on this particular day. It will pass, I hope peacefully and happy for us all.
You and Mr. P have the same birthday!

Mr. P is spoiling me rotten, he just went to McDonalds to pick me up their big breakfast meal after I fed him his. Mumbling about I'm not cooking at all today. :)
He has something in the works, because he gets this certain evil grin when he does surprise's.
Well I'm cooking Kielbasa, cabbage and onions right now....... You two can come by and help me eat it. :D

Good to see you Gracie. Missed you. Tell us more about the move. Is this the place with all the dogs? I am hoping it is much better for you and Mr. G.
She built a porch for me..to use however I like. This is what I did to it :)

2mw8nbo.jpg

This is my bedroom..with the door leading directly to the porch..which is now my sitting room. I am out there ALL DAY just puttering around in the yard beyond its gate.

16hvlt2.jpg

And this is my tiny bedroom...but not all of it. I am standing in front of my pc desk so there are another 5 feet or so behind me.

1zzkids.jpg

No, Foxy..the lady with all the dogs would be just too damn noisy. This is the lady that owns Casey..the golden retriever I have spoken of that I used to dog sit. :)

Forum List

Back