USMB Coffee Shop IV

Just finished dinner, pork loin roast with an apple, mustard glaze/sauce. For veggies I tried something new, garlic/parmesan green beans, simple and very good.

I'm planning one for our Sunday dinner with Dana and Aunt Betty--pork loin roast with apricot sauce. New recipe. Wish me luck.
The green beans are simple;
Extra fine whole green beans
Tbsp olive oil
Garlic powder
Lite salt
Parmesan cheese

Saute the beans in olive oil with salt and garlic. When done (quick cooking time) put on plates and sprinkle with parmesan.

I'll try that. These are fresh green beans? Not canned?
Frozen but you can use fresh if you want. I quick cooked mine in a cast iron skillet on medium high. If you use fresh you may want to cook em on medium.

Here's the recipe I modified;

Garlic Parmesan Green Beans

Thanks. I'm going to add that to Sunday's menu. :)
There's another on I picked up from someone eons ago. Cook asparagus, place it in a ziploc or large (long) plastic storage container with balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing overnight, serve cold. It's wonderful.

Decisions, decisions........ On a whim I called the gun shop in El Paso that had the original 1863 Sharps conversion carbine for $2500 to see if they still had it...... They do and told me I could have it for $1500....... For an original........
Decisions, decisions.......

wm_8257495.jpg
Whim?
That wasn't a whim, that was a meant to be. :)

I'd get it for that price.
Gotta wait a little longer, don't want to buy it on credit. If they still have it next month I should be able to buy it.

My buddy manages a pawn shop. He called one day said he had a 1942 (circa) Mauser K-98, mint condition, $250. I couldn't get there fast enough. A couple months later, a Lee Enfield... bought that one too.
Now if he had a G33-40 for that price I'd fly out to get it...... :lol:

We just got back from the little one's first practice since she decided to go back to soccer. OMG the mosquitoes! I was trying to get them away the entire hour of practice. :mad:

That is something we have very little of here -- mosquitos. I don't remember when I got my last mosquito bite. Very few flies too--we can leave our front door wide open as it is right now and pretty much never get any kind of flying insects. The land here is harsh and probably to some appears almost barren--it isn't but it is desert so when you look down at your feet you will see more sand or clay and rock than you will see vegetation--but it does have its good points. :)

It's too hot and bright for me. I'd probably do better in GW's area, at least as far as the general climate and lack of insects. I wouldn't be comfortable in the cold, but I could always put on heavier clothes when I went out. :D
Well, it is greener here, and much moister. We even had a thunderstorm blow through yesterday afternoon. They're pretty rare in these parts, much more common around Fairbanks. While the 'skeeters have been much less populous the past two summers, don't let that fool you. We've had times when you could barely go outside without returning a couple of quarts low. I think having the chickens wandering around helps a lot. I've actually seen them picking larvae out of mud puddles! We don't have too many other nasty critters, like snakes and large spiders. That's a plus in my book.
Fall is here, only a few days until leaves start falling, they've already begun to change color. And there's a distinct nip to the air, as well as the butter yellow sunlight that heralds this time of year.

Decisions, decisions........ On a whim I called the gun shop in El Paso that had the original 1863 Sharps conversion carbine for $2500 to see if they still had it...... They do and told me I could have it for $1500....... For an original........
Decisions, decisions.......

wm_8257495.jpg
Whim?
That wasn't a whim, that was a meant to be. :)

I'd get it for that price.
Gotta wait a little longer, don't want to buy it on credit. If they still have it next month I should be able to buy it.

My buddy manages a pawn shop. He called one day said he had a 1942 (circa) Mauser K-98, mint condition, $250. I couldn't get there fast enough. A couple months later, a Lee Enfield... bought that one too.

Welcome to the CoffeeShop EasyPeasy. I won't tell you to just join right in because you already did. :) Do read over the OP to see what we are about in here if you haven't already done that, and we hope you'll find a comfy niche here with this really diverse but pretty great group.

First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage:

105052_large.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
We just got back from the little one's first practice since she decided to go back to soccer. OMG the mosquitoes! I was trying to get them away the entire hour of practice. :mad:

That is something we have very little of here -- mosquitos. I don't remember when I got my last mosquito bite. Very few flies too--we can leave our front door wide open as it is right now and pretty much never get any kind of flying insects. The land here is harsh and probably to some appears almost barren--it isn't but it is desert so when you look down at your feet you will see more sand or clay and rock than you will see vegetation--but it does have its good points. :)

It's too hot and bright for me. I'd probably do better in GW's area, at least as far as the general climate and lack of insects. I wouldn't be comfortable in the cold, but I could always put on heavier clothes when I went out. :D
Well, it is greener here, and much moister. We even had a thunderstorm blow through yesterday afternoon. They're pretty rare in these parts, much more common around Fairbanks. While the 'skeeters have been much less populous the past two summers, don't let that fool you. We've had times when you could barely go outside without returning a couple of quarts low. I think having the chickens wandering around helps a lot. I've actually seen them picking larvae out of mud puddles! We don't have too many other nasty critters, like snakes and large spiders. That's a plus in my book.
Fall is here, only a few days until leaves start falling, they've already begun to change color. And there's a distinct nip to the air, as well as the butter yellow sunlight that heralds this time of year.
I just came back from picking up the wife, when I walked outside I walked out into a dust storm, by the time I got to her work place it was almost over. Still getting some heavy wind gusts with thunder storms mostly to the west and north. Gonna go back out later.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter post surgery on August 21)
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

The only really interesting observance on September 1 is it is National Cow Chip Throwiing Day which doesn't lend itself to a satisfying photo. So I'll just post the annual burning of Zozobra to intiiate in the Santa Fe Fiesta that runs tomorrow night through Labor Day. Zozobra or "Old Man Gloom"'s demise signals all our cares and negatives are removed and we start anew with a positive and happy outlook.

zozobra-5.jpg

I heard that thousands of times in the car business. Guess what? Someone else has your car now.

Finally got my veteran brother neighors 2010 Challenger R/T and my 2017 2SS Camaro lined up for a few pics. Been wanting to get pics for quite awhile. Soon realized that the direct sun was a problem with glare off the cars, but, here's a pic of the two beasts anyway. We'll redo the pics at a later date and later in the day when we can get them in the shade...

IMG_0067-1.jpg
Nice.

I was looking at a sporty two seater myself.

6B04E5D0-9312-4AD6-86A7-401646323144.jpg
That ought 'ta do 'er, bro. Get yourself a high performance mule to pule it and you're in bidness... :lol:
Mule hell, I want speed........
That's why I said a high performance mule... they can get up to 150 miles an hour... really... no kidding... :lol:

I just finished a mega day of canning. Long process, but looking forward to cooler weather and that first batch of Fall Chili with fresh canned garden tomatoes, not those tasteless store bought things... only a dozen jars but it took all day... the darker jars are green, is why they look different...

20180901_185824.jpg

I just came back from picking up the wife, when I walked outside I walked out into a dust storm, by the time I got to her work place it was almost over. Still getting some heavy wind gusts with thunder storms mostly to the west and north. Gonna go back out later.
I swear, the more I read about your domestic as well as your handyman abilities the more I lick my chops! LOL. Who wouldn't love to be married to YOU??? Enjoy reading your recipes for any meal. I always start getting hungry even if I've just had a meal. lol

Another sign of approaching fall/winter. The sandhill cranes are moving south. First, you only hear a couple but as they gather in larger groups and start their flight South, the noise gets impressive.
And the daylight is getting shorter where I live in the Pacific NW. Last night at 8:30 it was getting darker too early and I would love a month longer of daylight hours. We have had a short summer considering so much of the smoke from neighboring states have darkened our skies. We have contended with a few of our own. It is dry for the Oregon Coast. Never thought I would be praying for rain here. :eusa_pray:

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Another sign of approaching fall/winter. The sandhill cranes are moving south. First, you only hear a couple but as they gather in larger groups and start their flight South, the noise gets impressive.
There's signs up here along certain segments of highways saying, "caution, Cranes ahead." I saw what I gathered was two adults and an offspring by the road on my way home from a friends place the other day. I wanted to stop and get a pic with my phone but there was cars behind me. Impressive, large birds. I love to hear their call. You can hear it for a long, long way off.

I wonder if we get any of your Sandhill cranes here? Thousands and thousands of them wnter here in New Mexico, especially in the Bosque del Apache wildlife preserve just south of Albuquerque.

Sandhill-Cranes-at-Sunrise-Bosque-del-Apache-National-Wildlife-Refuge-Socorro-New-Mexico-23.jpg

Just sent Dana and Aunt Betty home from our standing Sunday lunch and movie. Today I made Ringel's green beans that turned out great, and tried a new recipe - marinated and roasted pork tenderloin with apricot sauce - that was a hit.

WQ and I should be welcoming our Granddaughter into the world on Thursday. :twirl:
After a hospital visit last night, my daughter's doctor told her that she's reserving a room for her in labor and delivery Wednesday night, and inducing Thursday morning. We are so excited to hold our princess. :love_ya4:

WQ and I should be welcoming our Granddaughter into the world on Thursday. :twirl:
After a hospital visit last night, my daughter's doctor told her that she's reserving a room for her in labor and delivery Wednesday night, and inducing Thursday morning. We are so excited to hold our princess. :love_ya4:

Woo hoo! And we'll all be pulling for you. We all love our kids so much, but those grandbabies are really REALLY special. :)

I ordered a nice new universal gym. Sold my dining room table because all it ever did was collect dust, and the gym is going where the table was. Got the room all cleaned up and rearranged yesterday in preparation for the new gym arriving today, and I see the shipping company has changed the delivery date from the 4th to the 5th. Well TICK ME OFF. It's been sitting in Milwaukee since 8/30, and Milwaukee isn't that far away. So, guess I'll to find something else to do today to channel all that stored up anticipation energy into, since I won't be assembling a 359 pound gym.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back