USMB Coffee Shop IV

I laid awake for an hour, and finally got up at 5AM. I will surf the web until 6AM then watch an early morning film on TV.
So, you know how I live on my days off? Not having sufficient electrickery, though, I read instead of watch TV.

I read too, I have a large collection of books, many of them on philosophy. I have nearly finished reading A history of western philosophy by Bertrand Russel. But its a struggle and I don't understand or remember most of what I have read. However I am going to read it again more slowly when I have finished a quick read through it.
I'm an eclectic reader. Since I got a new library card (instead of buying books), I usually just browse the stacks until something catches my attention. Most of the time I find something new and interesting.

I have a library of my own, a lifetime collection of books, many of which I have not yet read. I have one bookcase dedicated to philosophy and psychology, and another full of religious books. I have read a number of them in the last couple of years. I recently ordered some more from amazon. Some books quote other books that sound interesting, so I buy them too. I just bought the meditations of Marcus Aurelius because it was mentioned in the history of western philosophy that I am reading.
I have loads of such tomes, as well. Once, I had an entire room dedicated to my library. Now, my library rests in books in a storage shed. I do hope that one day I will be able to introduce my granddaughters to that library. I might even be able to teach them enough German and Russian to read those books, as well.
I have read Herman Hesse in German.

I laid awake for an hour, and finally got up at 5AM. I will surf the web until 6AM then watch an early morning film on TV.
So, you know how I live on my days off? Not having sufficient electrickery, though, I read instead of watch TV.

I read too, I have a large collection of books, many of them on philosophy. I have nearly finished reading A history of western philosophy by Bertrand Russel. But its a struggle and I don't understand or remember most of what I have read. However I am going to read it again more slowly when I have finished a quick read through it.
I'm an eclectic reader. Since I got a new library card (instead of buying books), I usually just browse the stacks until something catches my attention. Most of the time I find something new and interesting.

I have a library of my own, a lifetime collection of books, many of which I have not yet read. I have one bookcase dedicated to philosophy and psychology, and another full of religious books. I have read a number of them in the last couple of years. I recently ordered some more from amazon. Some books quote other books that sound interesting, so I buy them too. I just bought the meditations of Marcus Aurelius because it was mentioned in the history of western philosophy that I am reading.
I have loads of such tomes, as well. Once, I had an entire room dedicated to my library. Now, my library rests in books in a storage shed. I do hope that one day I will be able to introduce my granddaughters to that library. I might even be able to teach them enough German and Russian to read those books, as well.
I have read Herman Hesse in German.

I have several Herman Hesse novels in my library. In the English translation. They are very spiritual and inspiring.
The only thing that bothers me about him is his writings were popular in pre war Germany.

It now looks like the AC compressor I bought for my car may have just been crappy, and I need to buy a new, better quality one. :( That will probably be another $300, which would put the total I've spent on the AC up close to $1000. I wish I'd just never bothered.

I also found out that my plans for moving out after I finish school may have been screwed, so I have to start thinking about new ones. That means I don't want to spend more money, but at the same time, having already put close to $700 into trying to get the AC fixed, it would be such a huge waste to give up on it now.

Oh, and the car is leaking oil, so I'll have to get that checked and hope it won't also cost me a ton of money to fix.

Not a great day today. :(

In for surgery around 8am, out about noon and into her room near 2pm.

The doctor is top notch:

Steven R. Buchman is a Tenured Professor of Surgery in the Section of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and holds a joint appointment as a Professor of Neurosurgery at the University of Michigan Medical School. He is the Director of the Craniofacial Anomalies Program at the University of Michigan Medical Center and the Chief of Pediatric Plastic Surgery at the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital.

Harper was painting in the playroom around 4pm. Somewhat cranky and frustrated, wants to go home and have chocolate milk. That is probably a day off or so.
Thank you for updates. I'm hoping this will be successful for Harper.

Hey Gallantwarrior,
I saw this cute video just now and wondered if any of your goats argues with you like this. :)

Grumpy goat argues with human
Thanks, Peach! What's really funny to me is, those videos with goats acting like that, they act like that because they are in rut. That was a younger goat so he probably wasn't as stinky as an older goat would be.
How are you and Mr. Peach doing?
Hey Gallantwarrior,
I saw this cute video just now and wondered if any of your goats argues with you like this. :)

Thanks, Peach! What's really funny to me is, those videos with goats acting like that, they act like that because they are in rut. That was a younger goat so he probably wasn't as stinky as an older goat would be.

Thank you for asking. :)

We are both doing fairly well.
I've been very busy with a lot of different things all summer.
I'm getting a new couch delivered at the end of this month.
Then I ordered a specialty birthday cake from a bakery.
I usually get them at the regular old groceries bakery.
I got Mr. P a sugar free ice cream cake once from Baskin Robbins. He loved it.
This will be my 1st and only bakery cake. I just wanted to try one.
I'm turning 66 and my birthday is on Sept. 6.
The terrible 3 's. :FIREdevil: :lmao:
Hey, at our age if we don't spoil ourselves, who will? I love ice cream cakes, but regular cakes are a bit too much sugar and dough for me. I usually like eating the icing, though. Sep 6? That would make you a Virgo, wouldn't it?
Is Mr. P still riding about the countryside on his "bike"?

Yes , Mr. P's birthday is Sept. 19th, so both of us are Virgo's. :)
We are not suppose to be compatible. So much for astrology eh?

I'm getting a chocolate truffle cake, comfort food for the big 666 day. :biggrin:
I also know if I eat that whole 2 layer 8" cake I'm going to balloon to 115 or 16.
Just call me chubby Peach for a few months.

Mr. P and his best friend have been riding their Trike's all over the countryside, in-between the monsoon rains.
They go out early while it's still cool out.
Hot for you because it's in the low seventies. :)
He can no longer ride in the heat, it's just too hard on him, but he will ride more in the fall and winter.
Both are having a grand old time riding their bikes together.
I didn't realize you rode a bike, too? Or is this a bicycle? Glad to know he's doing so much better than this time last year, though.
Hell, eat whatever you want. Enjoy life, take big bites. There aren't too many bites left for most of us.
In for surgery around 8am, out about noon and into her room near 2pm.

The doctor is top notch:

Steven R. Buchman is a Tenured Professor of Surgery in the Section of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery and holds a joint appointment as a Professor of Neurosurgery at the University of Michigan Medical School. He is the Director of the Craniofacial Anomalies Program at the University of Michigan Medical Center and the Chief of Pediatric Plastic Surgery at the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital.

Harper was painting in the playroom around 4pm. Somewhat cranky and frustrated, wants to go home and have chocolate milk. That is probably a day off or so.
Thank you for updates. I'm hoping this will be successful for Harper.

Hey Gallantwarrior,

Hey Gallantwarrior,

Thank you for asking. :)

We are both doing fairly well.
I've been very busy with a lot of different things all summer.
I'm getting a new couch delivered at the end of this month.
Then I ordered a specialty birthday cake from a bakery.
I usually get them at the regular old groceries bakery.
I got Mr. P a sugar free ice cream cake once from Baskin Robbins. He loved it.
This will be my 1st and only bakery cake. I just wanted to try one.
I'm turning 66 and my birthday is on Sept. 6.
The terrible 3 's. :FIREdevil: :lmao:
Hey, at our age if we don't spoil ourselves, who will? I love ice cream cakes, but regular cakes are a bit too much sugar and dough for me. I usually like eating the icing, though. Sep 6? That would make you a Virgo, wouldn't it?
Is Mr. P still riding about the countryside on his "bike"?

Yes , Mr. P's birthday is Sept. 19th, so both of us are Virgo's. :)
We are not suppose to be compatible. So much for astrology eh?

I'm getting a chocolate truffle cake, comfort food for the big 666 day. :biggrin:
I also know if I eat that whole 2 layer 8" cake I'm going to balloon to 115 or 16.
Just call me chubby Peach for a few months.

Mr. P and his best friend have been riding their Trike's all over the countryside, in-between the monsoon rains.
They go out early while it's still cool out.
Hot for you because it's in the low seventies. :)
He can no longer ride in the heat, it's just too hard on him, but he will ride more in the fall and winter.
Both are having a grand old time riding their bikes together.
I didn't realize you rode a bike, too? Or is this a bicycle? Glad to know he's doing so much better than this time last year, though.
Hell, eat whatever you want. Enjoy life, take big bites. There aren't too many bites left for most of us.

No, I do not dive a motorcycle trike. I do ride on the back of it. :)
It's his best buddy and one of our neighbor's who ride their motorcycle trikes together. :biggrin:
He lives about 3 blocks away from us.

It now looks like the AC compressor I bought for my car may have just been crappy, and I need to buy a new, better quality one. :( That will probably be another $300, which would put the total I've spent on the AC up close to $1000. I wish I'd just never bothered.

I also found out that my plans for moving out after I finish school may have been screwed, so I have to start thinking about new ones. That means I don't want to spend more money, but at the same time, having already put close to $700 into trying to get the AC fixed, it would be such a huge waste to give up on it now.

Oh, and the car is leaking oil, so I'll have to get that checked and hope it won't also cost me a ton of money to fix.

Not a great day today. :(
You might have a porse hose, I would check it with some soap and water, Dawn works the best look for bubbles the guy who installed it might have not tighten up something and could be a minor problem.

As for philosophy, I intend to improve my knowledges in positivism, used usually as a foundation of all science activity, but still don't have enough time :))) On the other hand, since my postgraduate exams I've learned philosophy not so bad (because I had bad relations with our professor of philosophy and studied a lot to pass an exam :))

What do you have to say about Umberto Eco? He's not a philosopher, but semiotic, medievist and excellent writer!

As for philosophy, I intend to improve my knowledges in positivism, used usually as a foundation of all science activity, but still don't have enough time :))) On the other hand, since my postgraduate exams I've learned philosophy not so bad (because I had bad relations with our professor of philosophy and studied a lot to pass an exam :))

What do you have to say about Umberto Eco? He's not a philosopher, but semiotic, medievist and excellent writer!

I have not read any of his writings so cannot comment, but I saw the film of one of his books, 'the name of the rose'

My coffee supply is running low and just in time (a few days ago) World Market e-mailed me a 30% off all coffee coupons. Three 24oz bags (whole bean) Amalfi Coast shipped to my door for $27 + change which includes the shipping. Roughly $9.30 per 24 oz bag, if we had a store in town that would have been $7 a bag.

Got the generator running again. The well digger came by and we finalized the location of my well. It won't be quite as expensive as I thought. Pretty pricey, just the same, having water provided on site.
My heritage breed turkey hen (Spanish Black) is currently sitting on a nest of 15 eggs. If she hatches them, I will have plenty of Thanksgiving dinners to share.

Turkeys usually have larger clutches than hens I think I read somewhere, but 15 seems like an especially large one. But is there a Mr. Turkey around? If not you might as well treat yourself to some omelets.

Got the generator running again. The well digger came by and we finalized the location of my well. It won't be quite as expensive as I thought. Pretty pricey, just the same, having water provided on site.
My heritage breed turkey hen (Spanish Black) is currently sitting on a nest of 15 eggs. If she hatches them, I will have plenty of Thanksgiving dinners to share.

Turkeys usually have larger clutches than hens I think I read somewhere, but 15 seems like an especially large one. But is there a Mr. Turkey around? If not you might as well treat yourself to some omelets.
Oh, yeah, there's a Mr. Turkey. We've named him Attila the Turk and he's an aggressive beast, to say the least. The hen sitting the clutch came as a pair with Attila. They are a heritage breed pair, Spanish Blacks. I understand that the heritage breeds are smaller and more prolific than domestic breeds. I'm hoping for at least a few poults.

Bought me a new gym. I miss the other big Golds universal gym I had but that thing just took up too much space. Been 4 or 5 years since I sold it and I really miss it. Those days it's too hot or too cold out to get in a little physical exercise, I need something else I can get that with. Had one saved in my wish list on Amazon for quite awhile, but when I finally decided I needed to get it sooner than later, was going to wait until Fall/Winter, I decided to get the model above that one. Here's the one I decided on...

gym.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQT10G/?tag=ff0d01-20

It gets good reviews and I think it'll work out great. Can't wait to get it. Tracking says it should be here between the 5th and 10th of next month.

We just got back from the little one's first practice since she decided to go back to soccer. OMG the mosquitoes! I was trying to get them away the entire hour of practice. :mad:

That is something we have very little of here -- mosquitos. I don't remember when I got my last mosquito bite. Very few flies too--we can leave our front door wide open as it is right now and pretty much never get any kind of flying insects. The land here is harsh and probably to some appears almost barren--it isn't but it is desert so when you look down at your feet you will see more sand or clay and rock than you will see vegetation--but it does have its good points. :)

We just got back from the little one's first practice since she decided to go back to soccer. OMG the mosquitoes! I was trying to get them away the entire hour of practice. :mad:

That is something we have very little of here -- mosquitos. I don't remember when I got my last mosquito bite. Very few flies too--we can leave our front door wide open as it is right now and pretty much never get any kind of flying insects. The land here is harsh and probably to some appears almost barren--it isn't but it is desert so when you look down at your feet you will see more sand or clay and rock than you will see vegetation--but it does have its good points. :)

It's too hot and bright for me. I'd probably do better in GW's area, at least as far as the general climate and lack of insects. I wouldn't be comfortable in the cold, but I could always put on heavier clothes when I went out. :D

It's too hot and bright for me. I'd probably do better in GW's area, at least as far as the general climate and lack of insects. I wouldn't be comfortable in the cold, but I could always put on heavier clothes when I went out. :D

Well everybody doesn't want to live everywhere for sure. We do have world class sunshine and as far as hot goes, it does get hot in the summer but 100 degree days are really rare--mid to high 80's up to low to mid 90's in the summer and daytime temps of mid 40's to high 50's in the winter. Not too bad.

But I think GW does have some major league mosquitos and flies in the summer there.

This was the first day of school for students in the East Liverpool school district. Buses rumbled up Anderson Boulevard passed the Luxurious Pimplebutt Estate for the first time since late May. All those first graders excited and scared and meeting new friends. All those newly minted seniors knowing how to throw their weight around forming cliques and determining who the cool kids are, who are the jocks and who are the geeks.

I am happy as a senior citizen, an observer of the social strata of childhood.

I have found a way to fill my time. My old church, Trinity Presbyterian closed last Spring and merged with the good people at Long's Run Presbyterian. Trinity is still the site of the annual Easter Pageant on themHillside. But the building has been co-opted by a group of community leaders and has been renamed the East Liverpool Community Learning Center.

As a community learning center, activities such as Boy Scouts and the Lions Club meet there. There is a room dedicated to the late local artist Hans Hacker and his oils and water colors of local,scenes. Mr. Hacker was the artist for several local potteries. He designed decorations for dinner ware and presentation pieces. His paintings of area buildings and bridges and water craft now hang in what was once a chapel room in the old church.

But, as for me, I volunteered to screen some of my movie collection and discuss the films, much like a Book Club for film. My first screening will be Billy Wilber's movie "Ace in the Hole". It stars Kirk Douglas as a down on his luck newspaper reporter who learns of a man trapped in a cave. He exploits the story by keeping him in the cave to milk the story.

Next up will be "Metwork" with William Holden and Faye Dunaway. We will talk about the media as portrayed in the two films and how those stories can reflect current events.

Then, in October, I plan to show "How Green was my Valley" along along with "To Kill a Mockingbird". We'll be talking about films told from,a,child's point of view.

So I'll be doing what I like to do. Watching and talking about films.

November? I'm thinking about "The Searchers" and "In the Heat of the Night" and talk about racism and its bitter implications.

December will feature Christmas ghost stories "A Christmas Carol" and "It's a Wonderful Life".

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper (Save's granddaughter post surgery on August 21)
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Ringel's injured shoulder and general wellness,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition

And we keep the porch light on so that many others scattered here and there can find their way back.

August 30 is National Toasted Marshmallow Day. I like mine in hot chocolate. :)
toasted-marshmallow-hot-chocolate-10.jpg

Bought me a new gym. I miss the other big Golds universal gym I had but that thing just took up too much space. Been 4 or 5 years since I sold it and I really miss it. Those days it's too hot or too cold out to get in a little physical exercise, I need something else I can get that with. Had one saved in my wish list on Amazon for quite awhile, but when I finally decided I needed to get it sooner than later, was going to wait until Fall/Winter, I decided to get the model above that one. Here's the one I decided on...

gym.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RQT10G/?tag=ff0d01-20

It gets good reviews and I think it'll work out great. Can't wait to get it. Tracking says it should be here between the 5th and 10th of next month.

WOW!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I have not read any of his writings so cannot comment, but I saw the film of one of his books, 'the name of the rose'

Yes, it's a good film, but book is much better! :)

Forum List

Back