USMB Coffee Shop IV

Sorry for my absence lately. I went and had an X-ray taken of my left hand. It revealed an anomaly and that meant more figuring on behalf of the doctors. They concluded that I spend a night in the hospital after they scalpeled their way through my palm and retrieved a fiberous mass growing at the base of my ring finger. Banging out dispatches with my right index finger is, to say the least, tedious.

But, there it was. A little mass of stuff my body made without my consent or approval. They ran a battery of tests on it and determined it was 'pre-cancerous. Not the kind of phrase that rests lightly on the brain. So more blood work, some decidedly unsavory medicines and a lot more visits to waiting rooms.

Too many of those waiting rooms now have big screen TVs to mollify and distract anxious folks as they wait to be led back to the exam rooms. And all too often those TVs have caustic talk shows blaring away. Shows where the provenance of children, narcotic adventures and physical violence among family members is dissected and then thrown on the floor like the guts of a freshly caught bass.

Meanwhile, it has been a typical autumn week here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area. The frost is on the pumpkin, along with everything else. I walked with Daisy the Mutt in Thompson Park this morning. The park has muted of the birdsong that provided a cheerful melody all summer long. The Squirrels are chattier than ever and Daisy loves putting them back up in the trees where they belong.

Homecoming is this weekend for the ELHS Potters. At 3-2, the boy's football team has hopes of a playoff spot next month, but I'll reserve cautious optimism on that front. The sweet aroma of decaying leaves and pine needles fills the air. Some trees are starting to turn and show their autumn colors. The maples are particularly pretty now, and the red oaks will become russet brown within the next week or two.

And so I've worn a blister on that right index finger filling you in on matters of health and season. My movie program begins next month, the day after Election Day, with a Tale of Two Bogarts. The first film scheduled is In a Lonely Place with The Maltese Falcon on November 14. If you're in the neighborhood, stop by and I'll provide the popcorn!
More often than not abnormal (pre-cancerous) cells never turn cancerous so I think the condition is misnamed. As for your overworked index finger give it a break and use your pinky finger......... :D

Sorry for my absence lately. I went and had an X-ray taken of my left hand. It revealed an anomaly and that meant more figuring on behalf of the doctors. They concluded that I spend a night in the hospital after they scalpeled their way through my palm and retrieved a fiberous mass growing at the base of my ring finger. Banging out dispatches with my right index finger is, to say the least, tedious.

But, there it was. A little mass of stuff my body made without my consent or approval. They ran a battery of tests on it and determined it was 'pre-cancerous. Not the kind of phrase that rests lightly on the brain. So more blood work, some decidedly unsavory medicines and a lot more visits to waiting rooms.

Too many of those waiting rooms now have big screen TVs to mollify and distract anxious folks as they wait to be led back to the exam rooms. And all too often those TVs have caustic talk shows blaring away. Shows where the provenance of children, narcotic adventures and physical violence among family members is dissected and then thrown on the floor like the guts of a freshly caught bass.

Meanwhile, it has been a typical autumn week here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area. The frost is on the pumpkin, along with everything else. I walked with Daisy the Mutt in Thompson Park this morning. The park has muted of the birdsong that provided a cheerful melody all summer long. The Squirrels are chattier than ever and Daisy loves putting them back up in the trees where they belong.

Homecoming is this weekend for the ELHS Potters. At 3-2, the boy's football team has hopes of a playoff spot next month, but I'll reserve cautious optimism on that front. The sweet aroma of decaying leaves and pine needles fills the air. Some trees are starting to turn and show their autumn colors. The maples are particularly pretty now, and the red oaks will become russet brown within the next week or two.

And so I've worn a blister on that right index finger filling you in on matters of health and season. My movie program begins next month, the day after Election Day, with a Tale of Two Bogarts. The first film scheduled is In a Lonely Place with The Maltese Falcon on November 14. If you're in the neighborhood, stop by and I'll provide the popcorn!
"Precancerous?" The last time a doctor said that to me was in the early 80s. He told me to stop drinking my pot of coffee a day, and never drink more than a cup. I followed his instructions, cut back to one cup, and the next visit, my issue had disappeared completely. They probably know more now than they did back then. Hope your surgery gets rid of the problem and that it never comes back to hurt you, NoSmo. Prayers up. ^^^

I used to spend hours at the airport in Kansas watching the 747 pilots in training do touch and gos, and sometimes they would send the big bombers and the big military cargo/transport planes up from McConnell AFB in Wichita to practice landings and takeoffs. Salina's airport is the old WWII Schilling AFB site that was mostly closed down in the 1960's and repurposed. Has one of the longest runways in the country and is a small town in a rural area making it perfect for training purposes. And sometimes the Air Force and Navy fighter jets would also land there for whatever reason. I think the government worked something out with the city that in return for handing it over free to the locals, the military could still use it when needed. Or maybe all airports have the same arrangement. I don't know.

The Air Force retained the housing on the base for waiting wives whose husbands were in Vietnam and it was always full with a waiting list. Once the Vietnam War ended, they eventually closed that and tore it all down. But it is a dandy airport capable of handling large jets despite it being a small town of about 40,000 people--probably not more than 50,000 in the whole country.
Nowadays, flight simulators provide most of the touch-n-go and emergency landing scenarios.

I used to spend hours at the airport in Kansas watching the 747 pilots in training do touch and gos, and sometimes they would send the big bombers and the big military cargo/transport planes up from McConnell AFB in Wichita to practice landings and takeoffs. Salina's airport is the old WWII Schilling AFB site that was mostly closed down in the 1960's and repurposed. Has one of the longest runways in the country and is a small town in a rural area making it perfect for training purposes. And sometimes the Air Force and Navy fighter jets would also land there for whatever reason. I think the government worked something out with the city that in return for handing it over free to the locals, the military could still use it when needed. Or maybe all airports have the same arrangement. I don't know.

The Air Force retained the housing on the base for waiting wives whose husbands were in Vietnam and it was always full with a waiting list. Once the Vietnam War ended, they eventually closed that and tore it all down. But it is a dandy airport capable of handling large jets despite it being a small town of about 40,000 people--probably not more than 50,000 in the whole country.
Nowadays, flight simulators provide most of the touch-n-go and emergency landing scenarios.

I know a lot of training is done on simulators now. But as Commander Tom Dodge told his submarine dive officer in "Down Periscope", doing it on a simulator isn't like doing it with a boat. I would think the same thing would be true with an airplane.

Front is moving through, will drop down into the 30s tonight with high in the 40s for the next few days our first short term dip in temps this year. Just moved the snake plant and aloe inside.

I know a lot of training is done on simulators now. But as Commander Tom Dodge told his submarine dive officer in "Down Periscope", doing it on a simulator isn't like doing it with a boat. I would think the same thing would be true with an airplane.
At least with a simulator, you can practice "what-ifs" and if you screw up you don't trash a multi-million-dollar piece of equipment, or kill yourself and/or others.

It is just past 11 a.m. and it is 34 degrees in Albuquerque. We went abruptly from summer with a tad of not knowing whether it wanted to be summer or autumn to winter! Hopefully we will have a bit more autumn before the real winter sets in. Dusting of snow on the mountain tops though. It's coming.

It is just past 11 a.m. and it is 34 degrees in Albuquerque. We went abruptly from summer with a tad of not knowing whether it wanted to be summer or autumn to winter! Hopefully we will have a bit more autumn before the real winter sets in. Dusting of snow on the mountain tops though. It's coming.
Yeah, 34 degrees here this morning but later this week highs are expected to be in the 60s.

Just got back from the wife's surgeon's appointment, checking out a lump in her butt. She had a CT scan last week, the doc was looking at the report and it may not be all that good. The scan showed not only a lump in her butt but a mass on her spleen, kidneys and lung......... They'll remove the lump in her butt hopefully this Wednesday, if not then the following Wednesday and she sees her cancer doc about everything else later this month. Keep her in your prayers.

Just got back from the wife's surgeon's appointment, checking out a lump in her butt. She had a CT scan last week, the doc was looking at the report and it may not be all that good. The scan showed not only a lump in her butt but a mass on her spleen, kidneys and lung......... They'll remove the lump in her butt hopefully this Wednesday, if not then the following Wednesday and she sees her cancer doc about everything else later this month. Keep her in your prayers.

WQ and I will most definitely keep you both in our prayers. :huddle:

You are in both our prayers for you.

It rained really hard here this afternoon.
Mr. P got stuck in town for about an hour.
Good thing he was in his truck, because we have about 6 washes to dive through when it rains heavily.

WQ and I will most definitely keep you both in our prayers. :huddle:

How are you guys doing after your hurricane?
I hope all is fine.

Prayers for sure.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Gracie
Hombre's sister
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel and impending diagnosis
And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away for awhile can find their way back. And rejoice whenever somebody does!!!!

Autumn in Florida
Pumpkin.jpg

Forum List

Back