USMB Coffee Shop IV

We had some mild squalls go through, but nothing that caused any damage. The more serious threat is flooding from the storm surge, but so far nothing major. I knew that with such an historic storm in the panhandle that there would be some fatalities, and now that's been confirmed.
Hope you and your neighbors remain free of the flooding threat. :eusa_pray: We've been having a lot of rain in the piney woods of Walker County, Texas, but relatively free of flooding.
Happy trails, all. It's past my bedtime.
Sunrise-Sunset-Usa-Sky-Morning-Best-Nature-Hd-for-HD-High-Definition-1080p-p-p-wallpaper-wp0011834.jpg

We had some mild squalls go through, but nothing that caused any damage. The more serious threat is flooding from the storm surge, but so far nothing major. I knew that with such an historic storm in the panhandle that there would be some fatalities, and now that's been confirmed.
Hope you and your neighbors remain free of the flooding threat. :eusa_pray: We've been having a lot of rain in the piney woods of Walker County, Texas, but relatively free of flooding.
Happy trails, all. It's past my bedtime.
Sunrise-Sunset-Usa-Sky-Morning-Best-Nature-Hd-for-HD-High-Definition-1080p-p-p-wallpaper-wp0011834.jpg

Thank you, Becki. WQ and I know we dodged a bullet this time. It was just last year we had Irma barreling down on us, and we bunkered down with my mom. It took a last minute turn and passed directly over WQ's family. Fortunately the worst they suffered was minor roof damage. Mother Nature is very humbling. That picture from your neck of the woods is gorgeous. :smile:

Still holding vigil for those dealing with the storm. . .

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away for awhile can find their way back. And rejoice whenever somebody does!!!!

Autumn in the Sam Houston National Forest (Walker County TX)
01mi.jpg

That's beautiful, Foxfyre. Not sure where that is in the county, but there are a lot of lakes in this hill and pines county that Walker Co. is.

Well, it's early, the sun's shining, and I think I might have a couple of gallons to put in my zero turn machine and spend the rest of the day doing 14 acres...

th

Have a lovely day, everybody!

I know why I won't ever move back to the Southeast. I just don't like those unpredictable storms. At least you all get some warning before the "big one" hits. Up here, we get some warning when a volcano wants to blow its top, but the "big one" up here means that the worm in the earth will turn unpredictably. It's good knowing that our CS friends down the Panhandle way are doing OK and I certainly hope that the storm surges are not a bad as they are predicting. Good luck, y'all, and best wishes and hope coming your way still.

I know why I won't ever move back to the Southeast. I just don't like those unpredictable storms. At least you all get some warning before the "big one" hits. Up here, we get some warning when a volcano wants to blow its top, but the "big one" up here means that the worm in the earth will turn unpredictably. It's good knowing that our CS friends down the Panhandle way are doing OK and I certainly hope that the storm surges are not a bad as they are predicting. Good luck, y'all, and best wishes and hope coming your way still.

It's where in the SE you live in large part. I spent more than 20 years in Florida, but it was in Tampa, which almost never gets storms in the strength that other parts of the state do. Now I've been in central GA for about 9 years, and we haven't had any particularly bad weather here. I believe there have been a few tornadoes in the area, but never where I am. :dunno:

It's where in the SE you live in large part. I spent more than 20 years in Florida, but it was in Tampa, which almost never gets storms in the strength that other parts of the state do. Now I've been in central GA for about 9 years, and we haven't had any particularly bad weather here. I believe there have been a few tornadoes in the area, but never where I am. :dunno:
I grew up on the NC coast. Plenty of vicious storms there. We used to run ahead of a solid wall of rain, and sometimes it would be pissing like an open faucet on one side of the highway and barely sprinkling on the other side.

Why did I love the Air Force? Well, I found this vid on youtube and it kinda covers it. Of course there's a lot more to it than this, but it was all about the jets. I loved the fighter jets. I loved working on them. It was incredibly exciting for a young guy, and I was good at it... I'd do it all over again in a heart beat, even if there was a war, that would make absolutely no difference to me what so ever. I always felt safe with this kind of power overhead. Whoever took this video did a pretty good job. We had these air shows every year I was at Nellis also, and we'd do a high speed pass and sonic boom the crowd. I guess they did away with that. Probably afraid it would give someone a heart attack or hurt someone's ears... but this is pretty good. This is actually what we'd go through for an ORI...operational readiness inspection, couple times a year... looked pretty much the same... except we'd all have to be wearing full chem warfare suits and don the masks when they'd set off the red colored bombs... GAS, GAS, GAS... DON YOUR MASKS...

007, I especially liked seeing the F35s coordinating teamwork defensive measures to allow the helicopters to come in and safely procure the "casualties." I wasn't aware there was such a strategy, for all the war movies I (guiltily) snored my way through. danke schoen

I used to spend hours at the airport in Kansas watching the 747 pilots in training do touch and gos, and sometimes they would send the big bombers and the big military cargo/transport planes up from McConnell AFB in Wichita to practice landings and takeoffs. Salina's airport is the old WWII Schilling AFB site that was mostly closed down in the 1960's and repurposed. Has one of the longest runways in the country and is a small town in a rural area making it perfect for training purposes. And sometimes the Air Force and Navy fighter jets would also land there for whatever reason. I think the government worked something out with the city that in return for handing it over free to the locals, the military could still use it when needed. Or maybe all airports have the same arrangement. I don't know.

The Air Force retained the housing on the base for waiting wives whose husbands were in Vietnam and it was always full with a waiting list. Once the Vietnam War ended, they eventually closed that and tore it all down. But it is a dandy airport capable of handling large jets despite it being a small town of about 40,000 people--probably not more than 50,000 in the whole country.

Sorry for my absence lately. I went and had an X-ray taken of my left hand. It revealed an anomaly and that meant more figuring on behalf of the doctors. They concluded that I spend a night in the hospital after they scalpeled their way through my palm and retrieved a fiberous mass growing at the base of my ring finger. Banging out dispatches with my right index finger is, to say the least, tedious.

But, there it was. A little mass of stuff my body made without my consent or approval. They ran a battery of tests on it and determined it was 'pre-cancerous. Not the kind of phrase that rests lightly on the brain. So more blood work, some decidedly unsavory medicines and a lot more visits to waiting rooms.

Too many of those waiting rooms now have big screen TVs to mollify and distract anxious folks as they wait to be led back to the exam rooms. And all too often those TVs have caustic talk shows blaring away. Shows where the provenance of children, narcotic adventures and physical violence among family members is dissected and then thrown on the floor like the guts of a freshly caught bass.

Meanwhile, it has been a typical autumn week here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area. The frost is on the pumpkin, along with everything else. I walked with Daisy the Mutt in Thompson Park this morning. The park has muted of the birdsong that provided a cheerful melody all summer long. The Squirrels are chattier than ever and Daisy loves putting them back up in the trees where they belong.

Homecoming is this weekend for the ELHS Potters. At 3-2, the boy's football team has hopes of a playoff spot next month, but I'll reserve cautious optimism on that front. The sweet aroma of decaying leaves and pine needles fills the air. Some trees are starting to turn and show their autumn colors. The maples are particularly pretty now, and the red oaks will become russet brown within the next week or two.

And so I've worn a blister on that right index finger filling you in on matters of health and season. My movie program begins next month, the day after Election Day, with a Tale of Two Bogarts. The first film scheduled is In a Lonely Place with The Maltese Falcon on November 14. If you're in the neighborhood, stop by and I'll provide the popcorn!

Last edited:
Sorry for my absence lately. I went and had an X-ray taken of my left hand. It revealed an anomaly and that meant more figuring on behalf of the doctors. They concluded that I spend a night in the hospital after they scalpeled their way through my palm and retrieved a fiberous mass growing at the base of my ring finger. Banging out dispatches with my right index finger is, to say the least, tedious.

But, there it was. A little mass of stuff my body made without my consent or approval. They ran a battery of tests on it and determined it was 'pre-cancerous. Not the kind of phrase that rests lightly on the brain. So more blood work, some decidedly unsavory medicines and a lot more visits to waiting rooms.

Too many of those waiting rooms now have big screen TVs to mollify and distract anxious folks as they wait to be led back to the exam rooms. And al too often those TVs have caustic rack shows blaring away on them where the provenance of children, narcotic adventures and physical violence among family members is dissected and then thrown on the floor like the guts of a freshly caught bass.

,eanwhile, it has been a typical autumn week here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area. The frost is on the pumpkin, along with everything else. I walked with Daisy the Mutt in Thompson Park this morning. The park has muted out the birdsong that provided a cheerful melody all summer long. The Squirrels are chattier than ever and Daisy loves putting them back up in the trees where they belong.

Homecoming is this weekend for the ELHS Potters. At 3-2, the boy's football team has hopes of a playoff spot next month, but I'll reserve cautious optimism on that front. The sweet aroma of decaying leaves and pine needles fills the air. Some trees are starting to turn and show their autumn colors. The maples are particularly pretty now, and the red oaks will become russet brown within the next week or two.

And so I've worn a blister on that right index finger filling you in on matters of health and season. My movie program begins next month, the day after Election Day, with a Tale of Two Bogarts. The first film scheduled is In a Lonely Place with The Maltese Falcon on November 14. If you're in the neighborhood, stop by and I'll provide the popcorn!

Hopefully they got all of the risky cells from the mass and the danger of it progressing into cancer is gone. :eusa_pray:

Too many of those waiting rooms now have big screen TVs to mollify and distract anxious folks as they wait to be led back to the exam rooms. And all too often those TVs have caustic talk shows blaring away. Shows where the provenance of children, narcotic adventures and physical violence among family members is dissected and then thrown on the floor like the guts of a freshly caught bass.

Meanwhile, it has been a typical autumn week here in the Crotch of the Tri-State area. The frost is on the pumpkin, along with everything else. I walked with Daisy the Mutt in Thompson Park this morning. The park has muted of the birdsong that provided a cheerful melody all summer long. The Squirrels are chattier than ever and Daisy loves putting them back up in the trees where they belong.

Nosmo! I have been missing you and was about to post an all points bulletin to find you. Sorry about the hand but at least they fixed what ailed you before it would have likely been much worse. And happy you're back. You were a missed person.

Yesterday, I made it to 66 years old! Who woulda thunk?
Quiet day. Had some ribs Mr Gracie went and got for me. Watched tv. Went to bed. SSDD. :D

Oh gosh Gracie I've bee dealing with house guests all week and didn't even look at the birthday calendar. So sorry but belated wishes are hopefully better than none at all.

gracie.jpg

Forum List

Back