USMB Coffee Shop IV

Here, it's raining, raining, raining, raining....
Pretty much been doing that, to a lesser degree here also, monsoon season which is almost over.
So you moved from the area where Katharine Lee Bates wrote, "O beautiful, for spacious skies, for Amber saves of grain.." ? :eek-52:

He indeed did move from Colorado to El Paso, then Albuquerque, and now Roswell NM. We had the pleasure of meeting him when he was here and he did not disappoint. The Ringel here in the Coffee Shop is quite a bit the real Ringel. :)

I honestly felt a sense of loss when he announced the move to Roswell. He and Mrs. R didn't live far from us and though we didn't really visit back and forth, I liked knowing they were over there.
Yup, we were only a few blocks from each other and we would love to move back to Albuquerque but that may not happen. The wife is still working at Job Corps but is interviewing later this week for a New Mexico state regional medical director position here in Roswell, double the income so we may end up here permanently.

For those who don't mind the big city, Albuquerque I think is more pleasant and 'small townish' than most. But you could do worse than Roswell too.

Yesterday I threw together a dinner, had thawed hamburger which I really didn't know what to do with so I cooked it up with some ground onion and garlic, about a pound and a half of small red potatoes (diced), salt, pepper, crushed rosemary, some crumbled bacon then added a can of chicken, broccoli, potato soup and half a bag of frozen cut green beans. Turned out to be quite good, just finished off the leftovers this evening for dinner.

Yesterday I made beef tips using stew meat instead of the much more expensive sirloin tips. Browned with chopped onion in a deep skillet and then covered and simmered with salt, pepper, garlic, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce for a couple hours until beef was very tender. Then add brown gravy mix and simmer until hot and poured over cooked egg noodles. Yummy. They ate every bite. :)

Pretty much been doing that, to a lesser degree here also, monsoon season which is almost over.
So you moved from the area where Katharine Lee Bates wrote, "O beautiful, for spacious skies, for Amber saves of grain.." ? :eek-52:

He indeed did move from Colorado to El Paso, then Albuquerque, and now Roswell NM. We had the pleasure of meeting him when he was here and he did not disappoint. The Ringel here in the Coffee Shop is quite a bit the real Ringel. :)

I honestly felt a sense of loss when he announced the move to Roswell. He and Mrs. R didn't live far from us and though we didn't really visit back and forth, I liked knowing they were over there.
Yup, we were only a few blocks from each other and we would love to move back to Albuquerque but that may not happen. The wife is still working at Job Corps but is interviewing later this week for a New Mexico state regional medical director position here in Roswell, double the income so we may end up here permanently.

Or, at some point she could be transferred to Albuquerque. New Mexico is notorious for party politics though and for the really good jobs you often have to know somebody who owes you or is related to you. That is not entirely absent in the current administration but it has not been so blatant or iron clad, so best to make a move before the current governor leaves office in January. :) (Both my parents and my brother-in-law, and various other relatives have worked for the state of New Mexico at various times. As did I. :) )

Last edited:

There's nothing like friends, Foxy. That's pretty much how most people feel when you're around. :smiliehug:

Oh, goodness. It's past my bedtime. I just found the cutest quilt series on Bing images--the pinecone quilt. It would take a month of Sundays to make just one of them, but FWIW, I'm sending everyone a picture of a pine burr quilt (Which is Alabama's state quilt, I just found out), to keep the chill away when it gets cold outside:

be07a3b094326f25d24139283a6187ab.jpg

Oh, goodness. It's past my bedtime. I just found the cutest quilt series on Bing images--the pinecone quilt. It would take a month of Sundays to make just one of them, but FWIW, I'm sending everyone a picture of a pine burr quilt (Which is Alabama's state quilt, I just found out), to keep the chill away when it gets cold outside:

Looks like a colorful jute/grass mat

That's beautiful! And I bet Alabama is the only state in the union that has a state quilt. :) (New Mexico has a state question, but not a state quilt I don't think.)

There's nothing like friends, Foxy. That's pretty much how most people feel when you're around. :smiliehug:

Well thanks friend. That put a lump in my throat.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away for awhile can find their way back. And rejoice whenever somebody does!!!!

Balloons competing in the splash and dash event on the Rio Grande) at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta,October 2018:
43056123_10216794341747908_3083106891493015552_n.jpg

Rained again last night, woke up to temps in the mid 50s....... Fall's a comin'.

It has already arrived in Albuquerque. Temps have dropped to 60's for daytime highs here--today's high is forecast to be only 60. Nights in low 40's so a blanket or two feel good. Not looking good for the mass ascension ascension on Saturday--our son and his family from Texas and our daughter from California will be here to see that. At least some clouds and they keep rotating rain in and out of the forecast. And will be really cold out on the balloon field before sunrise--they launch shortly after sunrise.

Rained again last night, woke up to temps in the mid 50s....... Fall's a comin'.

It has already arrived in Albuquerque. Temps have dropped to 60's for daytime highs here--today's high is forecast to be only 60. Nights in low 40's so a blanket or two feel good. Not looking good for the mass ascension ascension on Saturday--our son and his family from Texas and our daughter from California will be here to see that. At least some clouds and they keep rotating rain in and out of the forecast. And will be really cold out on the balloon field before sunrise--they launch shortly after sunrise.
Well you're at 5300 feet, we're at 3600 feet. It'll get colder and change more rapidly up there though our average snowfall totals are the same. Of course we're talking about the city not the Sandias.
At least this year we won't have balloons passing over our house in the morning with their burners making an unholy racket..........

That's beautiful! And I bet Alabama is the only state in the union that has a state quilt. :) (New Mexico has a state question, but not a state quilt I don't think.)
You could be right. But every state has a shape. All you need is a state map to make a quilt like those below. :)

il_fullxfull.464389085_thlb.jpg

th
th
th
th

The funny thing about making a state quilt, is that the person who spent an hour on each state likely remembers at least the state's shape for the rest of her life.

Looks like a colorful jute/grass mat
Oh, my perceptive friend, Ringel. Folded fabrics make the prairie points or shark's tooth pieces a three dimensional and heavy quilt, but cotton lasts longer than most grasses.

….Except maybe for lemon grass... though I'm not sure. I'm growing some lemon grass out front where the garden plot is, and it's still a yellow-green color and smells just like fresh lemons. I have two stands of it, and it stands out from the other grasses that are presently dying back due to the fallishness of the season in the Pinewoods region of Texas.. They say that lemon grass – Cymbopogon citrates – containing citronella, a natural oil that repels mosquitoes. Lemon grass is used in Southeast Asia to flavor things such as chicken. In India, it is used as an anti-inflammatory medicine. I may go out later and cut it into pieces to put in a cotton fabric tea bag, homemade. My ankles swell from time to time, and if it is anti-inflammatory, it could reduce the swelling, too. I'm not sure on that count, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Lemon grass
th

If you like quilts, I restarted my old thread here: Artful Homemade Quilts Have A Way But skip it if you have sleep in your eyes when the topic of quilts comes up. :bigbed:

Last edited:
I'm in New Mexico on the high chaparral.
Wow, you have moved from one majestic scenery state to another, Ringel. My dear one and I drove through lovely state of New Mexico several times going here and there in our years in Wyoming. It's so scenic there with spacious vistas, punctuated with beautiful high lands and mountains. I was looking up turquoise when I purchased a turquoise-beads necklace years ago, and it seems there are a lot of precious stones in New Mexico, and a mine with some of the most beautiful turquoise ever found somewhere in the state.

johnnybullmine.jpg

I'm in New Mexico on the high chaparral.
Wow, you have moved from one majestic scenery state to another, Ringel. My dear one and I drove through lovely state of New Mexico several times going here and there in our years in Wyoming. It's so scenic there with spacious vistas, punctuated with beautiful high lands and mountains. I was looking up turquoise when I purchased a turquoise-beads necklace years ago, and it seems there are a lot of precious stones in New Mexico, and a mine with some of the most beautiful turquoise ever found somewhere in the state.

johnnybullmine.jpg

New Mexico does have exceptional turquoise--exquisite color without the heavy marbling that you find in other states. It has been so heavily mined for that reason that it is now quite rare to find in its natural state, and those who have it put a very ambitious price on it.

It is New Mexico's official state gem. :)

In my opinion, the most beautiful jewelry is made by the Zuni Pueblo tribe who often pair turquoise with the Indian red coral in sterling silver settings.

bola-tie_turquoise-coral-20.jpg

il_fullxfull.894490438_gj3t.jpg

Please send extra prayers or positive vibes to Sherry and WelfareQueen who are again in the path of a dangerous hurricane bearing down on the Florida west coast and panhandle tonight. If it changes its track even a little bit, Kat and Ernie S could also be in harms way.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Healing for Ringel and Mrs. R's Gizmo
Gracie
Hombre's sister
The Ringels moving in difficult transition and wellness for Ringel

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away for awhile can find their way back. And rejoice whenever somebody does!!!!

old-proverb.jpg

"Please send extra prayers or positive vibes to Sherry and WelfareQueen who are again in the path of a dangerous hurricane bearing down on the Florida west coast and panhandle tonight. If it changes its track even a little bit, Kat and Ernie S could also be in harms way." ................ Lady Foxfyre..:smiliehug:

--------------

I'm praying for them and wishing them all the best..

mmm .. we're flying into Atlanta, GA Friday night to eventually end up at my youngest daughters bootcamp graduation and then driving her to A.I.T. near Newport News VA , it should be interesting.. We sure miss that little Darlin.. (our second soldier).. :salute:

again, praying and wishing all goes well..

Last edited:
"Please send extra prayers or positive vibes to Sherry and WelfareQueen who are again in the path of a dangerous hurricane bearing down on the Florida west coast and panhandle tonight. If it changes its track even a little bit, Kat and Ernie S could also be in harms way." ................ Lady Foxfyre..:smiliehug:

--------------

I'm praying for them and wishing them all the best..

mmm .. we're flying into Atlanta, GA Friday night to eventually end up at my youngest daughters bootcamp graduation and then driving her to A.I.T. near Newport News VA , it should be interesting.. We sure miss that little Darlin.

again, praying and wishing all goes well..

It's a Cat4 now.

You should be fine though Lumpy 1

oops Lumpy 1 After just reading an article, I would advise you to be sure to keep up with the weather.

Forum List

Back