USMB Coffee Shop IV

I went to the dentist today for the first time in a long time; they had a deal for cleaning/exam/xray. Turns out I need about $3500 worth of treatment for my gums. :( I might be able to get that down to $2800 with a dental insurance plan they recommended, but I'll have to call and find out about that. Either way, that's going to make a big cut into my savings as I'm heading toward the time I'll be needing to move out.

On the (possibly) plus side, I may not be moving out in December, but staying until more like May. That's still a bit up in the air atm. If it's December, I was counting on having my savings in case it takes longer than I'd like to get a job once I get my degree.

After spending in the neighborhood of $1000 on my car's AC, and some more on other car repairs, some hundreds more on testing and vaccination for my upcoming internship, this sort of expense really sucks. I don't think leaving it to get worse is a great idea, though. :(

I went to the dentist today for the first time in a long time; they had a deal for cleaning/exam/xray. Turns out I need about $3500 worth of treatment for my gums. :( I might be able to get that down to $2800 with a dental insurance plan they recommended, but I'll have to call and find out about that. Either way, that's going to make a big cut into my savings as I'm heading toward the time I'll be needing to move out.

On the (possibly) plus side, I may not be moving out in December, but staying until more like May. That's still a bit up in the air atm. If it's December, I was counting on having my savings in case it takes longer than I'd like to get a job once I get my degree.

After spending in the neighborhood of $1000 on my car's AC, and some more on other car repairs, some hundreds more on testing and vaccination for my upcoming internship, this sort of expense really sucks. I don't think leaving it to get worse is a great idea, though. :(

Dental costs can be horrible and when you don't have money coming in, they are horrendous. You might consider a second opinion, but yes, don't put off necessary work until you have serious problems. You also might check in to see if you qualify for Georgia Medicaid, at least short term. Some state plans do cover at least some dental. Most don't though. And if Georgia has a dental school, or there is one nearby in a neighboring state, you can sometimes get serious dental work done free if you're willing to risk having it done by dental students in training. :)

Just got back from the wife's surgeon's appointment, checking out a lump in her butt. She had a CT scan last week, the doc was looking at the report and it may not be all that good. The scan showed not only a lump in her butt but a mass on her spleen, kidneys and lung......... They'll remove the lump in her butt hopefully this Wednesday, if not then the following Wednesday and she sees her cancer doc about everything else later this month. Keep her in your prayers.
Prayers up for both of you, but especially Mrs. R in this trying time.

Monday morning was frozen. Ice on the puddles and frost on everything else. This is only the second frosty morning here and it's mid-October already. This morning, we were back up to 45F, no frost but it had poured rain all night. Everything is saturated and walking anywhere in the yard means having to have the mud boots on. This really sucks because the weight of the rain pooling in some of my temporary shelters has collapsed them. As soon as I've done my lunch, I'm going out and going to try to reinforce those that are still salvageable.
The well diggers came yesterday. They hit bedrock at about 70 ft. Today they have been digging through what looks like red sandstone, almost Georgia red. The well they drilled last week made water after about 260 ft. We're higher than that property but I certainly hope we don't have to go too much deeper for water. These guys charge $42/linear foot! And after we get water, we'll have to have the pump installed. But I am looking forward to having my own water source on site. I won't have to tote those 5 gal containers from town anymore.

Last edited:

Dental costs can be horrible and when you don't have money coming in, they are horrendous. You might consider a second opinion, but yes, don't put off necessary work until you have serious problems. You also might check in to see if you qualify for Georgia Medicaid, at least short term. Some state plans do cover at least some dental. Most don't though. And if Georgia has a dental school, or there is one nearby in a neighboring state, you can sometimes get serious dental work done free if you're willing to risk having it done by dental students in training. :)

Unfortunately in Georgia I have to be either older or much younger, or have a disability, to qualify for Medicaid. Income alone isn't enough.

Just got back from the wife's surgeon's appointment, checking out a lump in her butt. She had a CT scan last week, the doc was looking at the report and it may not be all that good. The scan showed not only a lump in her butt but a mass on her spleen, kidneys and lung......... They'll remove the lump in her butt hopefully this Wednesday, if not then the following Wednesday and she sees her cancer doc about everything else later this month. Keep her in your prayers.
Prayers up for Mrs. Ringel. :eusa_pray:

Hope all goes well with your dental work, medical needs and landing that job, Montrovant. :huddle:

:eek2:

Hope all goes well with your dental work, medical needs and landing that job, Montrovant. :huddle:

Maybe God's way of getting you a job in a dental office?

Gum work? What kind? I asking because most gum disease is corrected with proper brushing and flossing.

Thanks, I'm actually pretty scared so is the wife of course. I'm scared because years ago my best friend was diagnosed with renal cancer, stage four, even with chemo he was dead in less than a year, if the doctors would have caught it a year before he probably would have survived. We'll know more in the next couple of weeks.

Gum work? What kind? I asking because most gum disease is corrected with proper brushing and flossing.

Scaling and root planing (or deep cleaning), then putting in antibiotics.

Good morning, everyone. Don't know what happened to my post. I hit "post reply" and it erased all my stuff.

Anyway, today we're having a day at the beach to ease everyone's aches and so they will have the best day ever.

bonjour796_n.jpg

So far, I unpacked a printer for my new computer, then found there was no place to plug it in, right after I went online to get help. lol!

Yesterday, I went to the Charity Bees monthly workshop and proceeded to screw up sewing scraps of batting together for the little purple quilt top I brought, because I forgot to iron the backing fabric, and of course, that resulted in wrinkles forming after pinning it all together. So whoever has the misfortune of quilting it will have a mess when they're through. I told the chairwoman of the problem, and as I was leaving, I noticed it disappeared, so I'm not sure it will get done right, because I didn't write a note and pin it on anywhere. It looks like you could just quilt it with no headache... /fret and fuss, fret and fuss...

I need a day at the beach!!!! And now, not later. :lmao:

Well, when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping. Heading out to Walmart to get a plug-in for the printer and all things computer. I hope I can figure out how to get back to Hewlett Packard. I'm so electronically-challenged that I feel panic when I open a new anything for computer use. For the first time ever, I empathize with Mister Magoo.

Last edited:

Do consider getting a second opinion though. A full mouth scaling at my dentist costs about $800 to $900 without insurance. Perhaps they need to do other work such as root canals and crowns that would run the cost up a whole bunch more. But $3800 seems awfully expensive just for scaling and planing.

Do consider getting a second opinion though. A full mouth scaling at my dentist costs about $800 to $900 without insurance. Perhaps they need to do other work such as root canals and crowns that would run the cost up a whole bunch more. But $3800 seems awfully expensive just for scaling and planing.

The scaling and planing would run about $1300, the rest of the cost is the antibiotics they'd put in.

So far, I unpacked a printer for my new computer, then found there was no place to plug it in, right after I went online to get help. lol!

Yesterday, I went to the Charity Bees monthly workshop and proceeded to screw up sewing scraps of batting together for the little purple quilt top I brought, because I forgot to iron the backing fabric, and of course, that resulted in wrinkles forming after pinning it all together. So whoever has the misfortune of quilting it will have a mess when they're through. I told the chairwoman of the problem, and as I was leaving, I noticed it disappeared, so I'm not sure it will get done right, because I didn't write a note and pin it on anywhere. It looks like you could just quilt it with no headache... /fret and fuss, fret and fuss...

I need a day at the beach!!!! And now, not later. :lmao:

Well, when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping. Heading out to Walmart to get a plug-in for the printer and all things computer. I hope I can figure out how to get back to Hewlett Packard. I'm so electronically-challenged that I feel panic when I open a new anything for computer use. For the first time ever, I empathize with Mister Magoo.

I can so appreciate that. I am really REALLY untechy when it comes to electronics and Hombre is much MUCH worse than I am--he is not at all intuitive where I can kind of sort of sense or anticipate how something is supposed to work. But believe me, we are in a lot of trouble when I am the I.T. person around here.

The scaling and planing would run about $1300, the rest of the cost is the antibiotics they'd put in.

I guess around 42% of adults need at least some of that kind of work in a lifetime and once we are over age 30, we are likely to need at least some serious dental work. I have never had scaling and planing so I can't speak from experience there, but that sure seems expensive for that particular procedure. But if you trust your dentist, you are a much better judge of it than I am.

Here is an informative article and I assume you still have all 32 of your teeth and it does seem to support the price you were quoted:
Scaling and Root Planing | Procedure Cost & Recovery Info

Last edited:

Unfortunately in Georgia I have to be either older or much younger, or have a disability, to qualify for Medicaid. Income alone isn't enough.

Try a dental school. I get my teeth cleaned for $15 at the University. Some of the school can treat periodontal disease and gingivitis.

Thanks, I'm actually pretty scared so is the wife of course. I'm scared because years ago my best friend was diagnosed with renal cancer, stage four, even with chemo he was dead in less than a year, if the doctors would have caught it a year before he probably would have survived. We'll know more in the next couple of weeks.

Keeping prayers in my thoughts for your wife. Keep us updated.

Forum List

Back