USMB Coffee Shop IV

In the last 4 days we've had mist and rain though mostly mist as the clouds are literally hugging the ground. Looks like we might get a brief respite then more rain/mist. That's a good thing however I miss the bright warm sun...........
It's been a deluge around here for a week. Today, though, there's been a slight letup, although the cloud cover is ever present. It's also 20 degrees colder than usual Octobers. It makes you wonder if the North Pole has moved a little toward the south... Nah, they say it's all water temperature in greater oceana
Yeah, with any luck we'll have a colder, wetter winter this year. Well luck for us in the drought stricken areas not so much for people in areas that are already wet.
When living in Wyoming for 35 years, almost every year was a drought. The only year that I recall having decent rainfall was the year following the Good Friday snowstorm in or near to 1983. Found some pictures that are very close to what I remember. We were housebound for nearly a week.

th
th
th
th
Reminds me of the Colorado Rockies in the mid 70s.
Denver and Casper were both mile-high cities, But the Silver State had spring when we of the Equality State were pretty snowed in come March and April. That Good Friday storm was the worse I remember, but I'm not sure I had the year right. Also, some of those pictures I chose just looked like what we had. I'm not sure where they were actually taken. 12 feet of snow in two days can look pretty much the same, wherever else it falls. The Rockies frequently have huge snow buildups, in whatever state of the US or Canada in which they are closer to the sun.
I was in Colorado Springs, just slightly higher in elevation than Denver........

It's been a deluge around here for a week. Today, though, there's been a slight letup, although the cloud cover is ever present. It's also 20 degrees colder than usual Octobers. It makes you wonder if the North Pole has moved a little toward the south... Nah, they say it's all water temperature in greater oceana
Yeah, with any luck we'll have a colder, wetter winter this year. Well luck for us in the drought stricken areas not so much for people in areas that are already wet.
When living in Wyoming for 35 years, almost every year was a drought. The only year that I recall having decent rainfall was the year following the Good Friday snowstorm in or near to 1983. Found some pictures that are very close to what I remember. We were housebound for nearly a week.

th
th
th
th
Reminds me of the Colorado Rockies in the mid 70s.
Denver and Casper were both mile-high cities, But the Silver State had spring when we of the Equality State were pretty snowed in come March and April. That Good Friday storm was the worse I remember, but I'm not sure I had the year right. Also, some of those pictures I chose just looked like what we had. I'm not sure where they were actually taken. 12 feet of snow in two days can look pretty much the same, wherever else it falls. The Rockies frequently have huge snow buildups, in whatever state of the US or Canada in which they are closer to the sun.
I was in Colorado Springs, just slightly higher in elevation than Denver........
Well, my husband, God rest his soul, had frequent business conferences in Colorado Springs, and I grew fond of the Broadmoor Hotel after a few stays there back in the early 70s. That whole city and the area were so beautiful, I was not surprised when I read that Katherine Lee Bates began the words to "America the Beautiful" on the pinnacle of Pike's Peak during her 1893 visit to Colorado Springs, which is near to the mountain as you probably know better than I do. America the Beautiful - Wikipedia

Snowed at my house this morning too 007. Not ready for this... just saying.
For some reason I think we could be in for a doozie this winter, pard, if for no other reason than we're really overdue. We just haven't had a bad winter for a long time, I'd say 5 years at least. I remember it was pretty cold for awhile 5 years or so ago, and we got more snow than we have had, but the last 4 years we really haven't gotten squat. I just feel it... I think we're going to get slammed this winter. I'm ready anyway... I've been wondering why I bought the big snow blower attachment for the John Deere anyway... :eusa_eh:
Same here, pard. It's still high 40's and 50's here and no hard freeze. This is so weird. We've had some ball-busting rain, though. If it snows like it has rained, we're in trouble when it finally comes.

Monday morning was frozen. Ice on the puddles and frost on everything else. This is only the second frosty morning here and it's mid-October already. This morning, we were back up to 45F, no frost but it had poured rain all night. Everything is saturated and walking anywhere in the yard means having to have the mud boots on. This really sucks because the weight of the rain pooling in some of my temporary shelters has collapsed them. As soon as I've done my lunch, I'm going out and going to try to reinforce those that are still salvageable.
The well diggers came yesterday. They hit bedrock at about 70 ft. Today they have been digging through what looks like red sandstone, almost Georgia red. The well they drilled last week made water after about 260 ft. We're higher than that property but I certainly hope we don't have to go too much deeper for water. These guys charge $42/linear foot! And after we get water, we'll have to have the pump installed. But I am looking forward to having my own water source on site. I won't have to tote those 5 gal containers from town anymore.
Hope you give us an update on how the new well is working out. My well went down about a month ago, and it wasn't cheap to get new pipes put in as deep down as they had to go. It took 3 of them hours to replace pipes, and then they had to run off a lot of the cloudy water until it turned clear and clean again. It can be a hundred degrees here for over a month in summertime, but as long as I've been here, the water is cold all year around. I'm guessing we're over a huge underground lake with waters originating in Canadian glaciers many hundreds of miles up north. It's still cold when it gets here, and stays cold whatever the weather. That's nice most of the year. Just sayin'.
Well (pun intended), they drilled to about 340 ft and the water blew out of the hole! These guys drill most wells between here and Fairbanks and they told me they had NEVER seen so much water out of a bedrock well. They were getting 50 gal/MIN!. I now have more than enough water than I'll ever need for a dairy. The well went to 340 ft before hitting plenty of water and the head pressure brings the level up to about 75 ft from the surface. Just the hole cost me over $15000, the pump will cost more but we'll dig the supply lines our self. Having a reliable water supply is well worth the cost. And, it's not unusual for this area for a well to cost this much.

In the last 4 days we've had mist and rain though mostly mist as the clouds are literally hugging the ground. Looks like we might get a brief respite then more rain/mist. That's a good thing however I miss the bright warm sun...........

One of my old high school classmates lives on the shore of Lake Texhoma and has been posting the amazing (and alarming) rise of water there. That's well north of you but the flooding seems to be very widespread.

For some reason I think we could be in for a doozie this winter, pard, if for no other reason than we're really overdue. We just haven't had a bad winter for a long time, I'd say 5 years at least. I remember it was pretty cold for awhile 5 years or so ago, and we got more snow than we have had, but the last 4 years we really haven't gotten squat. I just feel it... I think we're going to get slammed this winter. I'm ready anyway... I've been wondering why I bought the big snow blower attachment for the John Deere anyway... :eusa_eh:
Same here, pard. It's still high 40's and 50's here and no hard freeze. This is so weird. We've had some ball-busting rain, though. If it snows like it has rained, we're in trouble when it finally comes.
I think Alaska and Wisconsin seem to get much of the same type weather. I know Alaska is lot further north than Wisconsin but it must be the jet stream that makes them so similar.

We didn't really get a Fall. It went from rain, rain, rain with 80 degrees to cold. We had frost again this morning, second time now, so the trees are really confused. They had all green leaves and now it's freezing on them, no gradual decrease in temps this year so our nice Fall leaves colors are kinda non existent.

Tell ya one thing though, this year I'm buying a cab for my John Deere. I'm tired of eating snow. Doesn't seem to matter if there's a breeze or not, that thing blows snow so hard that some of it is just going to come back and hit you, and if there is a breeze, damn, I look like Frosty the snow man when I'm done. Might even put a little heater in the cab if I can find a kit. I'll do my snow blowing in style, warm and dry, and I'll be loving it if we do get a bad winter for snow.

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Nosmo's mom,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
ricechickie for trouble free healing and wellness,
BigBlackDog for comfort and effective treatment
TK
Sixfoot for an accurate diagnosis and wellness,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Gracie
Hombre's sister
Mrs. Ringel and Ringel and impending diagnosis
And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away for awhile can find their way back. And rejoice whenever somebody does!!!!

We are bound to have at least one Coffee Shopper from the Equity State, but Beutress lived there long enough to qualify:
Autumn in Wyoming
44262529_1307524116086151_5892522442361929728_n.jpg

Last edited:
Monday morning was frozen. Ice on the puddles and frost on everything else. This is only the second frosty morning here and it's mid-October already. This morning, we were back up to 45F, no frost but it had poured rain all night. Everything is saturated and walking anywhere in the yard means having to have the mud boots on. This really sucks because the weight of the rain pooling in some of my temporary shelters has collapsed them. As soon as I've done my lunch, I'm going out and going to try to reinforce those that are still salvageable.
The well diggers came yesterday. They hit bedrock at about 70 ft. Today they have been digging through what looks like red sandstone, almost Georgia red. The well they drilled last week made water after about 260 ft. We're higher than that property but I certainly hope we don't have to go too much deeper for water. These guys charge $42/linear foot! And after we get water, we'll have to have the pump installed. But I am looking forward to having my own water source on site. I won't have to tote those 5 gal containers from town anymore.
Hope you give us an update on how the new well is working out. My well went down about a month ago, and it wasn't cheap to get new pipes put in as deep down as they had to go. It took 3 of them hours to replace pipes, and then they had to run off a lot of the cloudy water until it turned clear and clean again. It can be a hundred degrees here for over a month in summertime, but as long as I've been here, the water is cold all year around. I'm guessing we're over a huge underground lake with waters originating in Canadian glaciers many hundreds of miles up north. It's still cold when it gets here, and stays cold whatever the weather. That's nice most of the year. Just sayin'.
Well (pun intended), they drilled to about 340 ft and the water blew out of the hole! These guys drill most wells between here and Fairbanks and they told me they had NEVER seen so much water out of a bedrock well. They were getting 50 gal/MIN!. I now have more than enough water than I'll ever need for a dairy. The well went to 340 ft before hitting plenty of water and the head pressure brings the level up to about 75 ft from the surface. Just the hole cost me over $15000, the pump will cost more but we'll dig the supply lines our self. Having a reliable water supply is well worth the cost. And, it's not unusual for this area for a well to cost this much.
I think you will have very clean water for life, gallantwarrior. Needless to mention, if you ever sell, you will reclaim the expense of the well in property value, I hope. I'm so glad you have your own precious source. Now if my well runs out of cold water here in Walker County sometime this winter, I'll know it went up in the air at your place up north! :auiqs.jpg: (just kidding) Here are some aquifers in the US, but it doesn't speak about the sources nor show tinier ones. I don't understand why I get such good, cold water even in the hottest months of the year that follow summer's solstice and often up through Christmas Day. The [pipes we replaced last month went down 320 feet, I think they said.
groundwater3.jpg

I think Alaska and Wisconsin seem to get much of the same type weather. I know Alaska is lot further north than Wisconsin but it must be the jet stream that makes them so similar.

We didn't really get a Fall. It went from rain, rain, rain with 80 degrees to cold. We had frost again this morning, second time now, so the trees are really confused. They had all green leaves and now it's freezing on them, no gradual decrease in temps this year so our nice Fall leaves colors are kinda non existent.

Tell ya one thing though, this year I'm buying a cab for my John Deere. I'm tired of eating snow. Doesn't seem to matter if there's a breeze or not, that thing blows snow so hard that some of it is just going to come back and hit you, and if there is a breeze, damn, I look like Frosty the snow man when I'm done. Might even put a little heater in the cab if I can find a kit. I'll do my snow blowing in style, warm and dry, and I'll be loving it if we do get a bad winter for snow.
We still use man-powered snow removal equipment most of the time. My partner has rigged the two snow blowers in the shovel of the tractor for longer jobs. And we have a guy who comes out with a plow truck when things get really bad. I'm just surprised that we're still well above freezing and our typically lower temps this time of year.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I think you will have very clean water for life, gallantwarrior. Needless to mention, if you ever sell, you will reclaim the expense of the well in property value, I hope. I'm so glad you have your own precious source. Now if my well runs out of cold water here in Walker County sometime this winter, I'll know it went up in the air at your place up north! :auiqs.jpg: (just kidding) Here are some aquifers in the US, but it doesn't speak about the sources nor show tinier ones. I don't understand why I get such good, cold water even in the hottest months of the year that follow summer's solstice and often up through Christmas Day. The [pipes we replaced last month went down 320 feet, I think they said.
groundwater3.jpg

I think well water stays a pretty standard temperature within a certain depth, like caves stay cooler as you go deeper, but the water won't freeze unless it's close to the surface. 320 seems pretty deep, though, just like the hole they punched into the ground up here.

groundwater3.jpg

I think well water stays a pretty standard temperature within a certain depth, like caves stay cooler as you go deeper, but the water won't freeze unless it's close to the surface. 320 seems pretty deep, though, just like the hole they punched into the ground up here.

Yes. Our well up on the mountain was very deep and the water temp straight from the well was constant. And it was cold. However the water was pumped into a pressure tank that gave us good water pressure in the house and if the water sat in the tank for awhile before we used it, it would be whatever the temperature was in the garage.

Just got back from the wife's surgeon's appointment, checking out a lump in her butt. She had a CT scan last week, the doc was looking at the report and it may not be all that good. The scan showed not only a lump in her butt but a mass on her spleen, kidneys and lung......... They'll remove the lump in her butt hopefully this Wednesday, if not then the following Wednesday and she sees her cancer doc about everything else later this month. Keep her in your prayers.

WQ and I will most definitely keep you both in our prayers. :huddle:

How are you guys doing after your hurricane?
I hope all is fine.

Thanks, Peach. We came out unscathed here on the Nature Coast.:thup:

Forum List

Back