USMB Coffee Shop IV

I am wondering what happened to my sign off post last night? I worked really hard on it and it just isn't here. :( I don't know if it was just before they did maintenance at USMB last night or if it is related to my desktop computer crashing through the floor here. It is barely running now so I bit the bullet and ordered a new one that will be delivered December 26. We sure didn't need that expense this month but I have to have a computer and it isn't fair to ask Hombre to give up his.

Our little ASUS laptops suffice for little stuff like message board posting but they won't run the heavier duty software as efficiently as a good PC will plus the 15" screen is a pain sometimes when I'm used to multi-tasking on a 27" monitor. The only way to get it up and running at all was to reinstall windows and that was supposed to retain all my files. It wiped them all out. Hundreds of irreplaceable photos, manuscripts, etc.

But oh well, enough whining. It is almost Christmas. Our Texas kid and family arrive tomorrow and we're pretty well ready for a great time. So onnward we go.

48987088_10215750853938841_4184085877665824768_n.jpg
What happened to your computer? :eusa_eh:

I don't know. I have all our electronic stuff protected with heavy duty battery backed up surge protectors and the one protecting my computer threw a hissy fit the other day. I was unaware of anything usual happening and all seemed to be okay. But since then the computer has been running slower and slower, it took forever to load anything, and just as I was about to do a backup, it crashed and then refused to do a backup.

Around the same time our cable, phones, and wifi went out. The serviceman determined the problem was the wall receptacle behind the TV had stopped working. That meant the amplifier on the equipment wasn't working so nothing could work.

Are the two things related? A weird power surge of some sort? No way to tell. The technicians had no clue.

In desperation yesterday, I reinstalled Windows with the stipulation that all my files would be preserved even though they would remove all the applications and those would have to be reinstalled. But alas, it did reinstall Windows but it wiped out all the files along with the applications. I do have some hard copies I was able to make of a few files, thank God, and do have all the older stuff backed up, but didn't have time to do that with all of them. And of course lost all my photos.

And the computer is still running very slow and refuses to install any of the applications I needed to replace. It is too old to spend a lot of money on fixing.

But this is a minor problem compared to what so many of you are facing so I feel a bit guilty even feeling bummed about it. :)
A power surge would have fried your computer and it wouldn't work at all unless it was only strong enough to damage the motherboard controllers or even one or more of your CPUs. More likely the hard drive is dying and it's just coincidental that both occurred at the same time. Hard drives are cheap and easy to install but not knowing if that's what it is the diagnostics could be expensive.

I know. It was an inexpensive computer to begin with and has some age on it so I won't go to the expense to try to fix it since my own efforts did enough damage it isn't worth resurrecting now. The new one is on its way and should be here Wednesday. And I start all over to build the files and will just shrug off what I lost. And oh well.

I am going to need to rebuild the contact base for our Coffee Shoppers though; i.e. the means to contact you all to regroup somewhere should USMB one day decide to close up shop. I'm pretty sure I didn't have a lot of that information backed up. :(
Thumb drives are fairly cheap......... And easy to simply back up your personal files onto, just select from the folder then drag and drop onto the thumb drive....... Labeling thumb drives on the other hand can be a pain cause they're so small....... :lol:

$5 for a 32 gig thumb (Flash) drive through Walmart is a super great price and will most likely hold all your personal documents and photos from five or six computers, unless you have a MASSIVE number of photos.

I am wondering what happened to my sign off post last night? I worked really hard on it and it just isn't here. :( I don't know if it was just before they did maintenance at USMB last night or if it is related to my desktop computer crashing through the floor here. It is barely running now so I bit the bullet and ordered a new one that will be delivered December 26. We sure didn't need that expense this month but I have to have a computer and it isn't fair to ask Hombre to give up his.

Our little ASUS laptops suffice for little stuff like message board posting but they won't run the heavier duty software as efficiently as a good PC will plus the 15" screen is a pain sometimes when I'm used to multi-tasking on a 27" monitor. The only way to get it up and running at all was to reinstall windows and that was supposed to retain all my files. It wiped them all out. Hundreds of irreplaceable photos, manuscripts, etc.

But oh well, enough whining. It is almost Christmas. Our Texas kid and family arrive tomorrow and we're pretty well ready for a great time. So onnward we go.

I don't know. I have all our electronic stuff protected with heavy duty battery backed up surge protectors and the one protecting my computer threw a hissy fit the other day. I was unaware of anything usual happening and all seemed to be okay. But since then the computer has been running slower and slower, it took forever to load anything, and just as I was about to do a backup, it crashed and then refused to do a backup.

Around the same time our cable, phones, and wifi went out. The serviceman determined the problem was the wall receptacle behind the TV had stopped working. That meant the amplifier on the equipment wasn't working so nothing could work.

Are the two things related? A weird power surge of some sort? No way to tell. The technicians had no clue.

In desperation yesterday, I reinstalled Windows with the stipulation that all my files would be preserved even though they would remove all the applications and those would have to be reinstalled. But alas, it did reinstall Windows but it wiped out all the files along with the applications. I do have some hard copies I was able to make of a few files, thank God, and do have all the older stuff backed up, but didn't have time to do that with all of them. And of course lost all my photos.

And the computer is still running very slow and refuses to install any of the applications I needed to replace. It is too old to spend a lot of money on fixing.

But this is a minor problem compared to what so many of you are facing so I feel a bit guilty even feeling bummed about it. :)
A power surge would have fried your computer and it wouldn't work at all unless it was only strong enough to damage the motherboard controllers or even one or more of your CPUs. More likely the hard drive is dying and it's just coincidental that both occurred at the same time. Hard drives are cheap and easy to install but not knowing if that's what it is the diagnostics could be expensive.

I know. It was an inexpensive computer to begin with and has some age on it so I won't go to the expense to try to fix it since my own efforts did enough damage it isn't worth resurrecting now. The new one is on its way and should be here Wednesday. And I start all over to build the files and will just shrug off what I lost. And oh well.

I am going to need to rebuild the contact base for our Coffee Shoppers though; i.e. the means to contact you all to regroup somewhere should USMB one day decide to close up shop. I'm pretty sure I didn't have a lot of that information backed up. :(
Thumb drives are fairly cheap......... And easy to simply back up your personal files onto, just select from the folder then drag and drop onto the thumb drive....... Labeling thumb drives on the other hand can be a pain cause they're so small....... :lol:

$5 for a 32 gig thumb (Flash) drive through Walmart is a super great price and will most likely hold all your personal documents and photos from five or six computers, unless you have a MASSIVE number of photos.

Yeah, I have used thumb drives from time to time. But to back up entire folders etc. I prefer to use an external hard drive where I have everything altogether to sort through when I'm looking for something.

Yeah, I have used thumb drives from time to time. But to back up entire folders etc. I prefer to use an external hard drive where I have everything altogether to sort through when I'm looking for something.
That works too. :D

You can always find me on twitter, as Dajjal and using the same photo as my avatar.

I'll be here hit and miss the next few days. Our out of town company is on the way and I still have some loose ends to tie up. But I'll certainly be here some. :)

Right now I have to get the other bedroom ready, go back to the store for what we missed yesterday, maybe bake another batch of cookies or two. :)

I'll be here hit and miss the next few days. Our out of town company is on the way and I still have some loose ends to tie up. But I'll certainly be here some. :)

Right now I have to get the other bedroom ready, go back to the store for what we missed yesterday, maybe bake another batch of cookies or two. :)

2pgr2z.jpg

I was finally able to coax my computer into my persona and voila! My files are still there. The apps are all wiped out though and it won't load any software of any kind. But I was able to transfer most of the critical stuff to my Lacie external hard drive so I think I probably didn't lose anything I will seriously grieve. I am much relieved. I will never go so long without doing a full backup either. The computer is absolutely on its last legs though.

I was finally able to coax my computer into my persona and voila! My files are still there. The apps are all wiped out though and it won't load any software of any kind. But I was able to transfer most of the critical stuff to my Lacie external hard drive so I think I probably didn't lose anything I will seriously grieve. I am much relieved. I will never go so long without doing a full backup either. The computer is absolutely on its last legs though.
Do this after you perform backup.

200.gif

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Gracie & Mr. G for positive trend to continue.
Ringel and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

One of the Christmas Trees in Albuquerque's Old Town this season:
48417178_2308032519430698_3303281337586155520_n.jpg

And tonight is the full December "Cold Moon" so named because it is associated with the winter solstice. This year's cold moon is one day past the winter solstice--it will not occur exactly on the winter solstice again until 2094. The moon is positioned so that it will appear nearly full on Christmas Eve too.
December-Full-Moon-2018_-The-%E2%80%98Cold-Moon%E2%80%99-That-Marks-The-Beginning-Of-Winter.png

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.

And we continue pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Rod, GW's partner,
Kat's sister,
Dana, Foxfyre's friend recovering from heart transplant
Strength and stamina for gallantwarrior in his relocation project,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Saveliberty's mom for successful surgery and quick healing
TheLiq and family who need prayers and positive vibes now
Drifter's friend's mother now homeless
Montrovant in difficult transition
Nosmo's mom back in the hospital
Drifter for smooth sailing in her new job.

JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Beautress's friend EJ undergoing chemo.
Gracie & Mr. G for positive trend to continue.
Ringel and Mrs. R facing serious health challenges.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so those who have been away can find their way back and we rejoice when they do!!!

One of the Christmas Trees in Albuquerque's Old Town this season:
48417178_2308032519430698_3303281337586155520_n.jpg

And tonight is the full December "Cold Moon" so named because it is associated with the winter solstice. This year's cold moon is one day past the winter solstice--it will not occur exactly on the winter solstice again until 2094. The moon is positioned so that it will appear nearly full on Christmas Eve too.
December-Full-Moon-2018_-The-%E2%80%98Cold-Moon%E2%80%99-That-Marks-The-Beginning-Of-Winter.png

I watched it rising through the trees last night.

The Emotional Meaning Of The Cold Moon Is About Nurturing & Protecting Others

Forum List

Back