USMB Coffee Shop IV

Is there anywhere in the US where it isn't snowing?
Alaska
I loved Alaska the year we lived there on base Fort Richardson, outside of Anchorage. It was a territory back then. My recollection of Anchorage was that the main street looked like a strip mall with grass, and when we were driving one day, my mom and dad pointed out "The Last Chance Saloon" at the end of the city's road, and indeed it was the last structure going out into the wild country back then. I'll never forget the day we drove as close as you'd care to get to Mt. Everest and still see the outline of it. Dad wanted us to remember seeing the tallest mountain in the world.

You live in Giod's country Gallantwarrior. It's beautiful, at least it was when we lived there that one very short year.

I've been told how beautiful it is there.

A couple of evenings ago I watched Jesus Christ Superstar (1973).... Still have the songs stuck in my head...... :thup:
Me, too, Ringel. Except we did the play in our Church around that time, and I had to help kids memorize the lyrics. lol
I used to know most of the songs although to sing them I could never reach Neely's or Anderson's higher ranges. To be perfectly honest my favorite song is Herod's song, fit's my quirky personality/sense of humor. :D

Quirky is a good word, albeit rarely.

Alaska
I loved Alaska the year we lived there on base Fort Richardson, outside of Anchorage. It was a territory back then. My recollection of Anchorage was that the main street looked like a strip mall with grass, and when we were driving one day, my mom and dad pointed out "The Last Chance Saloon" at the end of the city's road, and indeed it was the last structure going out into the wild country back then. I'll never forget the day we drove as close as you'd care to get to Mt. Everest and still see the outline of it. Dad wanted us to remember seeing the tallest mountain in the world.

You live in Giod's country Gallantwarrior. It's beautiful, at least it was when we lived there that one very short year.

I've been told how beautiful it is there.
Yeah, and I vote that Mr. Gallantwarrior should bring forward some of those photographs he's been hoarding. :cranky:

It's a good time of year, but too cold...Brrr

49938421_2020778661332376_8452601814414524416_n.jpg

Looks like home to me. We've gotten a lot of frozen fog, which causes that white frosting on everything. Looks nice, but it will take down trees! Good to see you back again.

My friend, I glad to see you too! :) How are you, what's new? Does it seems to you, life is not only moves forward, but also have a spiral structure and periodically returns us to some life circumstances? :)
Absolutely. I actually see things like a wheel rotating through the seasons and of course we're moving in a spiral as time passes.

Oh, by the way, it seems I may be promoted to a career position soon. I think it is a paperwork process at this point. Probably take a few months....

Looks like you're doing well. Are you enjoying it?

Kind of negative at the moment. The Christmas Crunch really wore a few people down. They need an attitude adjustment or a new job. Hopefully they figure out which best soon. Still a lot to learn in order to fell competent.

Some people do wilt a bit under unusually heavy work loads and that can make things unpleasant for everybody. I always loved the challenge knowing it was only temporary. I haven't had many jobs in which you spent most of your time twiddling your thumbs, but I disliked every one of those I have had. I like to be busy.
I twiddle a great deal on this job.I take a nap and stay busy at home.

Hey, how the weather at Hawaii? Is it possible to swim there now?

The weather here is as close to perfect as one can ask for... Almost boring at times... I grew up in the American Midwest and one could always count on the weather to slap you around on occasion... Winter time here now... High temps during the daytime hours now is low 80's and nighttime is low 70's and high 60's (Fahrenheit obviously)… It is tough to live here, but someone has to do it... And I am just the fellar to do it... :04:...
Hey, how the weather at Hawaii? Is it possible to swim there now?

The weather here is as close to perfect as one can ask for... Almost boring at times... I grew up in the American Midwest and one could always count on the weather to slap you around on occasion... Winter time here now... High temps during the daytime hours now is low 80's and nighttime is low 70's and high 60's (Fahrenheit obviously)… It is tough to live here, but someone has to do it... And I am just the fellar to do it... :04:...
Better you than me! Too hot.

So, it is LITERALLY raining cats and dogs and hamsters here...but my weather widget keeps saying 80% chance of rain. I am skeptical.

Yes, and all that is going to eventually come here. And we still have a leak in our roof and the roofers can't give us a firm date earlier than February 25. It wouldn't matter so much if we already had interior damage that we had to fix, but right now we don't. It hasn't brought down the sheetrock and paint in the ceiling. But by late February we'll almost certainly have the cost of interior damage to repair as well as the relatively minor roofing repairs. Frustrating. :(
Tarps are your friends...and they come in a variety of colors.

Alaska

He was kidding? Though Denali or Mt. McKinley is quite impressive as America's tallest mountain, it isn't quite Everest that is just under to just over 9,000 ft. taller than Denali depending on what source you consult. I'm not going to be climbing either, even when I was much younger and much more fit, because I get severe altitude sickness at 14,000 feet. :)

Oh, by the way, it seems I may be promoted to a career position soon. I think it is a paperwork process at this point. Probably take a few months....

Kind of negative at the moment. The Christmas Crunch really wore a few people down. They need an attitude adjustment or a new job. Hopefully they figure out which best soon. Still a lot to learn in order to fell competent.

Some people do wilt a bit under unusually heavy work loads and that can make things unpleasant for everybody. I always loved the challenge knowing it was only temporary. I haven't had many jobs in which you spent most of your time twiddling your thumbs, but I disliked every one of those I have had. I like to be busy.

Since the demands of your job are pretty demanding when you do have work to do, the twiddling times might not be so boring? I don't know. But stuck in an office or whatever for hours at a time with little or nothing to do is really frustrating for me.

I did have a job way back when I was very young and working for a large grain elevator and flour milling operation in west Texas. I was secretary to the first vice president who managed a mining and precious mineral operation in Cuba. When the USA severed diplomatic relations and banned travel to Cuba, that ended the mining operation of course costing my employer millions and also eventually cost me my job. But while my boss was out of the country traveling there for about six months, I had literally nothing to do. But we had a Musack system in the building that played elevator music for 15 minutes. . .was off for 3 minutes. . .then on another 15 minutes. I gave myself typing tests for 15 minutes and scored my accuracy in the 3 minutes the music was not playing, then another 15 minutes typing. I got my speed up to 110 wpm. That came in really useful later on after I had moved on. :)

(Not anywhere near a world record though that I think is 149 wpm on a manual typewriter.)

Last edited:
Alaska

He was kidding? Though Denali or Mt. McKinley is quite impressive as America's tallest mountain, it isn't quite Everest that is just under to just over 9,000 ft. taller than Denali depending on what source you consult. I'm not going to be climbing either, even when I was much younger and much more fit, because I get severe altitude sickness at 14,000 feet. :)
I stand corrected, definitely, Foxfyre. What was I thinking? I've been sleepy all morning, and the above is a good example of how. I still haven't posted birds nor butterflies in the Garage thread home, but I think I will go prop my feet up and get ready to work on the next quilt when and if I wake up. :)

Senior moments. lol

Alaska

I stand corrected, definitely, Foxfyre. What was I thinking? I've been sleepy all morning, and the above is a good example of how. I still haven't posted birds nor butterflies in the Garage thread home, but I think I will go prop my feet up and get ready to work on the next quilt when and if I wake up. :)

Senior moments. lol

Been there. Done that. Trashed the tee shirt. :) Some days I can't remember my own phone number and I don't want to admit how many things I have posted using the wrong name or wrong place or wrong date or whatever. Most I catch on edits but not all. So there's quite a few mea culpas in there too. :)

Since the demands of your job are pretty demanding when you do have work to do, the twiddling times might not be so boring? I don't know. But stuck in an office or whatever for hours at a time with little or nothing to do is really frustrating for me.

I did have a job way back when I was very young and working for a large grain elevator and flour milling operation in west Texas. I was secretary to the first vice president who managed a mining and precious mineral operation in Cuba. When the USA severed diplomatic relations and banned travel to Cuba, that ended the mining operation of course costing my employer millions and also eventually cost me my job. But while my boss was out of the country traveling there for about six months, I had literally nothing to do. But we had a Musack system in the building that played elevator music for 15 minutes. . .was off for 3 minutes. . .then on another 15 minutes. I gave myself typing tests for 15 minutes and scored my accuracy in the 3 minutes the music was not playing, then another 15 minutes typing. I got my speed up to 110 wpm. That came in really useful later on after I had moved on. :)

(Not anywhere near a world record though that I think is 149 wpm on a manual typewriter.)
Truthfully, I am thankful that napping between flights is okay. It helps make that two-hour commute a lot safer. And I'm usually busier than a one-legged guy in a butt-kicking contest when I'm home. Lots of chores to keep the place going and on weekends, there's always some project to get done.
Cool idea, practicing your typing like that. I remember when I typed about 110 wpm, too. But all that went out the window when I had to adapt to a keyboard with function keys and shortcuts. Then it seems that every time I get a new laptop or keyboard, I have to adapt to different sizes and pressures.

Truthfully, I am thankful that napping between flights is okay. It helps make that two-hour commute a lot safer. And I'm usually busier than a one-legged guy in a butt-kicking contest when I'm home. Lots of chores to keep the place going and on weekends, there's always some project to get done.
Cool idea, practicing your typing like that. I remember when I typed about 110 wpm, too. But all that went out the window when I had to adapt to a keyboard with function keys and shortcuts. Then it seems that every time I get a new laptop or keyboard, I have to adapt to different sizes and pressures.
I took a typing class in high school...... We used those newfangled electric typewriters........ :eusa_whistle:

Beauty,
It would have so exciting, being in Alaska back in those days. Now, even the most rural villages are "modernized". And, of course, we've had our share of "immigrants" from other states. I did hear a report a couple of days ago that this is the sixth year that the total of people leaving the state outnumber those coming into Alaska. Suits me.
Alaskan factoid: While Everest is the highest mountain based on total elevation, Denali is the single greatest land rise from base to summit, making it technically the tallest mountain on Earth.

I took a typing class in high school...... We used those newfangled electric typewriters........ :eusa_whistle:

We only had 2 or 3 of those newfangled electric typewriters at my school, so only the best typing students go to use them. The rest of us used those clack-clack-bing, return types.

So, it is LITERALLY raining cats and dogs and hamsters here...but my weather widget keeps saying 80% chance of rain. I am skeptical.

Yes, and all that is going to eventually come here. And we still have a leak in our roof and the roofers can't give us a firm date earlier than February 25. It wouldn't matter so much if we already had interior damage that we had to fix, but right now we don't. It hasn't brought down the sheetrock and paint in the ceiling. But by late February we'll almost certainly have the cost of interior damage to repair as well as the relatively minor roofing repairs. Frustrating. :(

We live on a hill, and had drainage problems for the first few years. mr. boe came up with this master plan of pipes and french drains which is a masterpiece. No more flooding in the basement. Without his project, I'd be cleaning up a giant mess right now instead of illuminating the interwebs. ;)
No basements for me, too many water issues. You're lucky you're on a hill that allowed your husband to install proper drainage, drainage that should have been installed when the house was first built, something most homebuilders don't do.

Well, we live in an old house - and it was clear when we bought it that attempts had been made to address the issue. We love the house - the bay view is so fabulous! mr. boe is an engineer - he knew he could solve the problem and he did. I'm so proud of him.

Plus - we love having a basement. It's a necessity for pack rats.

Beauty,
It would have so exciting, being in Alaska back in those days. Now, even the most rural villages are "modernized". And, of course, we've had our share of "immigrants" from other states. I did hear a report a couple of days ago that this is the sixth year that the total of people leaving the state outnumber those coming into Alaska. Suits me.
Alaskan factoid: While Everest is the highest mountain based on total elevation, Denali is the single greatest land rise from base to summit, making it technically the tallest mountain on Earth.

So maybe Becki's dad wasn't kidding. Technically he was accurate.

We live on a hill, and had drainage problems for the first few years. mr. boe came up with this master plan of pipes and french drains which is a masterpiece. No more flooding in the basement. Without his project, I'd be cleaning up a giant mess right now instead of illuminating the interwebs. ;)
No basements for me, too many water issues. You're lucky you're on a hill that allowed your husband to install proper drainage, drainage that should have been installed when the house was first built, something most homebuilders don't do.

Well, we live in an old house - and it was clear when we bought it that attempts had been made to address the issue. We love the house - the bay view is so fabulous! mr. boe is an engineer - he knew he could solve the problem and he did. I'm so proud of him.

Plus - we love having a basement. It's a necessity for pack rats.
That's what garages are for..... We're learning not to be pack rats....... Working on selling off much of what we have carried around with us for five moves since 2012..........
And as we get older we find stairs are more and more of a pain, one level on a slab is our desired habitat.

Forum List

Back