USMB Coffee Shop IV

A few weeks back, I ran across this article about a preventative to mental decline that mentioned Maple syrup may intervene in reversing memory losses as aging goes on, so I thought I'd bring waffles by for the season of snowflakes (January) for a little fun breakfast today ~~~

And the tip was found at a website like this one: Alzheimer's Could Be Prevented by Maple Syrup
The article above carries a warning about the sweet factor as not good for Alzheimers, although the one I found last week mentioned the area where maple syrup is made is an area that has long had people living to a ripe old age without Alzheimer's, and how low the rates were nationally in maple country, which was the reason for finding out what food was helping people avoid getting the disastrous disease. I don't know. I'm just a lay person, but I think a moderate approach to using maple syrup might be good. This article mentioned other foods finding similar compounds that prevented "folding" (whatever that is) of cells in the brain, and one of the favored foods was pomegranates. There are other foods mentioned, too that might be associated with a low incidence of Alzheimer's, which is now regularly being called "Diabetes III" due to its association with too much sucrose in the diet. Even so, I wish everyone here well, and having had the experience of watching a dear man lose his mind to dementia--a similar, but different cause disease--but an elderly aunt who was disenfranchised from her life by Alzheimer's. May the good Lord help us all find ways out of these types of diseases..

Only good wishes to all for a good and healthy life, and from John Masefield's poem, Sea Fever--lots of laughing, fellow rovers in your life. :huddle:

Sea Fever by John Masefield

waffles-maple-syrup-blueberries-17028227.jpg

Attachments

• Waffle, Flakes of Snow.jpg
    Waffle, Flakes of Snow.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 12
  • Waffles, snowflake.jpg
    Waffles, snowflake.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Waffles, Animal for kids.jpg
    Waffles, Animal for kids.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 11
-5 here and clear (so far). When I got home this afternoon, the new tank of propane I hooked up last night was empty. The valve was faulty, perhaps because of some ice? So, the place was frozen and it's taken hours to bring it up to a livable temperature. But it's so hard for me to feel sorry for myself when I see the weather other places are experiencing. At least I am prepared for this kind of cold. The critters tough things out as best they can. I provide warm water daily and hot mash as often as I can. They also have fleece jackets now, too. Maybe not very warm, but truly fashionable. They manage to buddy up and pile together as closely as they can.
So far, it's clear here and I'm looking forward to the lunar eclipse. If the ice fog stays away, I have a good chance of seeing it, too.
Yeah this is what I don't like to see here in Wisconsin...

IMG-0002.jpg

I can live without it getting this cold, and it's supposed to get even colder Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

-5 here and clear (so far). When I got home this afternoon, the new tank of propane I hooked up last night was empty. The valve was faulty, perhaps because of some ice? So, the place was frozen and it's taken hours to bring it up to a livable temperature. But it's so hard for me to feel sorry for myself when I see the weather other places are experiencing. At least I am prepared for this kind of cold. The critters tough things out as best they can. I provide warm water daily and hot mash as often as I can. They also have fleece jackets now, too. Maybe not very warm, but truly fashionable. They manage to buddy up and pile together as closely as they can.
So far, it's clear here and I'm looking forward to the lunar eclipse. If the ice fog stays away, I have a good chance of seeing it, too.

IMG-0002.jpg

I can live without it getting this cold, and it's supposed to get even colder Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

I can't begin to imagine those temps and conditions.

I've read a lot about the early days of America, and how the first immigrants, settlers etc, managed to carve a life out for themselves with what little they had with them, and encountering the extremes of climate and vegetation.

Lumpy gets his pea soup and all is well in Lumpyland... :)

I think pea soup might be an acquired taste. I know it is a traditional food of Finland and somewhere else--the Ukraine maybe? I don't think I've ever had it and it doesn't sound appealing to me, but if it was put before me I would try it. And then of course if I liked it, my image of it would change. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to food. :)

Those sub zero temps are NOT appealing to me at all. Been there. Done that. Don't want to do it again. I can't image critters, wild or domestic, surviving that.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I think pea soup might be an acquired taste. I know it is a traditional food of Finland and somewhere else--the Ukraine maybe? I don't think I've ever had it and it doesn't sound appealing to me, but if it was put before me I would try it. And then of course if I liked it, my image of it would change. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to food. :)
I like Pea Soup. Even just Campbell's is good.

I like Pea Soup. Even just Campbell's is good.

I like it too.

I'm not going to pronounce pea soup 'yucky' just because the idea of it doesn't appeal to me. I probably won't order it at a restaurant when there are other soups that I know I enjoy, but if offered pea soup sometime, I will try it. And then hopefully I too can say I like it.

The super blood moon eclipse has just begun. If you are blessed with clear skies tonight you should go take a look.

Wait...my place is not on that map. Does that mean I won't see it?

Alaska is probably behind the viewing conditions scale just above the *AccuWeather in the lower left hand corner.

I was amused, and a bit appalled, at the large number of kids interviewed who reported that Alaska is an island located off the southeast coast of California. That's because so many maps, especially political maps, show it that way.

I had geography class in school and it included the USA and also all the continents. I wonder if they still do?

IMG-0002.jpg

Brrrrrr, 007! Wishing you the warmth to keep the chill out...

tumblr_o7rq1gd1Ja1qhoe3vo1_500.gif

What did you think of Uriah Heep?

That is a good one, but they had a lot of good music.
There are other songs with more impact from that era. After a night of listening to Peaches and Herb crawling through the phone at each other, I'd rise early and play something like this, speakers up against the ceiling. This, or the 1812 Overture. Both worked.

IMG-0002.jpg

At least you can see that. Here, the ice fog has been viscous. Everything is coated with heavy hoarfrost, even my firewood!

IMG-0002.jpg

I can't begin to imagine those temps and conditions.

I've read a lot about the early days of America, and how the first immigrants, settlers etc, managed to carve a life out for themselves with what little they had with them, and encountering the extremes of climate and vegetation.
While there are still many of us out here who could manage, a majority of today's people would probably just lay down and die, or turn to banditry. Those folks also worked, a LOT! Of course, they lacked the internet and TV for diversion. For example: this weekend's fun activities include: unloading and stacking a truckload of hay; felling, trimming, splitting and stacking another big spruce tree; and unloading the trailer full of junk (more on this later). That's in addition to the daily chores of feeding and watering the stock.
I'm fortunate to be of an age where I have to get up to pee every few hours because that's usually when I toss some more wood on the fire, too.

Ooooh! I love pea soup. My partner does not like it. I make it just so I have something for me that he won't take. Served with corn bread, pea soup is like heaven.

What did you think of Uriah Heep?

That is a good one, but they had a lot of good music.
There are other songs with more impact from that era. After a night of listening to Peaches and Herb crawling through the phone at each other, I'd rise early and play something like this, speakers up against the ceiling. This, or the 1812 Overture. Both worked.

Of the heavy metal groups, Black Sabbath annoyed me less than some. But not my cup of tea. As for the 1812 Overture, yes! Good stuff. Last time I actually performed it was in college orchestra in the trumpet section at that time. (I played some other instruments as needed from time to time.) But the trumpets were on the left side of the drum section with the trombones on the right side. Except for some French horn now and then, we were pretty much the brass section and were at the very rear of the orchestra just in front of a high stage curtain.

The conductor was a young guy who was a Glenn Miller fan and also liked to try innovative stuff himself. So in addition to the tympani doing the cannon fire in the finale, our university had two small cannons on the administrative building lawn and he decide to put them into service. No cannon balls of course but loaded with just enough powder to create what he expected to be a muffled but realistic boom. We did not use them in any rehearsal, however.

We played through the piece and when it was time for the cannon fire, the stage hand fired from behind the stage curtain directly behind the brass section and drums. A pretty LOUD, not muffled boom, and the fire shot straight up the thankfully fireproof curtain and came out over the top of the curtain and the stage. The audience gasped. And we at the back who could see the flames over us somehow didn't miss a single final note though we were cringing in our chairs. But I'll never forget the experience

Last edited:

Forum List

Back