USMB Coffee Shop IV

Lumpy gets his pea soup and all is well in Lumpyland... :)

I think pea soup might be an acquired taste. I know it is a traditional food of Finland and somewhere else--the Ukraine maybe? I don't think I've ever had it and it doesn't sound appealing to me, but if it was put before me I would try it. And then of course if I liked it, my image of it would change. I'm pretty flexible when it comes to food. :)

Mom's vegetable soup tops the list for favorite all time soups but alas she took the recipe and preparation methods with her. I kinda judge how much I like something by how much I'm willing to eat the leftovers. Pea soup, next day leftovers .. after that, nope don't think so.

Something I've noticed out here is just as the sun is dropping behind the western horizon everything takes on an orange tint. Kinda cool.

Woke up to a snowy world this morning--not enough to be a problem but enough to coat everything. Won't last long as the temps are already right at freezing and rising and it is beginning to clear off, but this was not predicted by anybody. I hadn't heard about the Alto fire. Will keep my fingers crossed re that too. That area sure doesn't need another big fire. Not enough snow there yet to eliminate the danger?

Woke up to a snowy world this morning--not enough to be a problem but enough to coat everything. Won't last long as the temps are already right at freezing and rising and it is beginning to clear off, but this was not predicted by anybody. I hadn't heard about the Alto fire. Will keep my fingers crossed re that too. That area sure doesn't need another big fire. Not enough snow there yet to eliminate the danger?
Yeah I see you all had snow. Yesterday the Alto Fire (reported as a fire northeast of Ruidoso) burned 25 acres in the Lincoln National Forest before it was contained. Supposedly started on an adjoining private property but the cause is unknown.

We're under another winter storm warning. The revised forecast is for 11+ inches of snow by noon Wednesday. Winter has arrived this year with a vengeance, after 3 winters with hardly any snow at all. Had to happen... this is Wisconsin. This is more like the winters I remember when I was young.

We're under another winter storm warning. The revised forecast is for 11+ inches of snow by noon Wednesday. Winter has arrived this year with a vengeance, after 3 winters with hardly any snow at all. Had to happen... this is Wisconsin. This is more like the winters I remember when I was young.

Places that are supposed to get snow of course greatly benefit from the snow and dry years hurt everything. Including here in New Mexico. But I'll have to be honest. I don't want your foot of snow. When we lived up on the mountain, we measured snow in feet instead of inches. So I now put that in the been there, done that category. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Places that are supposed to get snow of course greatly benefit from the snow and dry years hurt everything. Including here in New Mexico. But I'll have to be honest. I don't want your foot of snow. When we lived up on the mountain, we measured snow in feet instead of inches. So I now put that in the been there, done that category. :)
I could live somewhere else... but I'll have to admit, I have family around here and the cost of living is dirt cheap, and in the Summer it's absolutely beautiful around here. I love all the green, lakes, streams, forests, wild life, little towns... but, winter can be brutal. That's the only real drawback.

I could live somewhere else... but I'll have to admit, I have family around here and the cost of living is dirt cheap, and in the Summer it's absolutely beautiful around here. I love all the green, lakes, streams, forests, wild life, little towns... but, winter can be brutal. That's the only real drawback.

As a kid I loved the snow--the more the better. Building snowmen, sledding, snowball fights using snow forts for protection, cross country skiing, making snow ice cream, and hot chocolate when we were so frozen we had to come in for awhile. All were special delights during and after a good snowfall. And for several years on the mountain we loved being snowed in--the quiet and beauty of it--enjoying a wood fire and putting seed out on the deck for the birds. It never lasted more than a day or two before the plows would open the roads, but until then it was pleasant and a true vacation because if you can't get out, you are relieved of most grown up responsibilities and can just stay in and work jigsaw puzzles or play games or whatever.

But now I am of an age that I don't insulate against the cold as efficiently and falling is more of a serious hazard than it was when I was young. And we live in an area in which drivers do not do snow or ice slick streets well so getting out and about is inadvisable for the more sane. And we have a roof leak that our roofer can't get to until late February. So we want most of the snow to stay on the mountain where it is needed.

Last edited:
I really need to lose 20 pounds for health's sake. So as of yesterday, I am really REALLY trying to ignore all those urges to go get a cookie out of the cookie jar or one of the Dr. Peppers icy cold in the refrigerator or enjoy some of those great corn chips with the great salsa that is sitting beside the Dr. Peppers.

But then there is this
51133923_1145970568908079_2810541622574448640_n.jpg

Congrats GW... :thup: It's a tuff slog loosing weight...
You know. I'm hoping that the steroid hip injections will allow me to walk more this spring. I have been suffering so much pain these past few years, it's almost magic after that steroid injection. Three doctors have told me that it's not "if" I need a hip replacement, it's "when". I hope I can hold out long enough that my daughter can stay around and help me with my livestock.

Forum List

Back