USMB Coffee Shop IV

It is COLD here... and going to get COLDER...

Weather
Define 'cold'.
With about ten inches of fresh snow and still snowing...

IMG-0002.jpg

Weather
Define 'cold'.

IMG-0002.jpg

I remember several years ago when it was so cold in Montana or Dakotas, that the reporter on the news thru a cup of hot coffee into the air and it froze in mid air...…..I don't envy anyone in the upper mid west their winters.

I'll keep my rain with occasional snow & freezes that rarely get below single digits, thank you very much

Weather
Define 'cold'.

IMG-0002.jpg

I remember several years ago when it was so cold in Montana or Dakotas, that the reporter on the news thru a cup of hot coffee into the air and it froze in mid air...…..I don't envy anyone in the upper mid west their winters.

I'll keep my rain with occasional snow & freezes that rarely get below single digits, thank you very much
Ah, yes, sublimation. We used to play with that all the time while "camping out" in the winter with the Army. Makes a neat snapping sound, too.
Not that cold here, actually, it's in the high 20's, low 30's. It's been snowing since around three this morning and we've already gotten 6-8 inches, and it's still coming. I'm guessing it's a good day to clean the house...

Weather
Define 'cold'.

IMG-0002.jpg

Where's that?
SW WI, one of the coldest damn states in America. It's usually always Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Michigan U.P. that get the worst of the worst for cold. It's supposed to get down to -31 Wednesday night with -60 wind chills, record setting cold, as in the coldest wind chills in history here. I'll tell ya, I don't know how much more of this I can take. I've lived where it's warm before and liked it, especially Florida, but I would HATE to move again. I swore when I moved back to Wisconsin and found this nice home that I was done moving. I hate to even think about it, but when it gets this cold... I surely do.

Weather
Define 'cold'.

IMG-0002.jpg

Where's that?
SW WI, one of the coldest damn states in America. It's usually always Minnesota, Wisconsin and the Michigan U.P. that get the worst of the worst for cold. It's supposed to get down to -31 Wednesday night with -60 wind chills, record setting cold, as in the coldest wind chills in history here. I'll tell ya, I don't know how much more of this I can take. I've lived where it's warm before and liked it, especially Florida, but I would HATE to move again. I swore when I moved back to Wisconsin and found this nice home that I was done moving. I hate to even think about it, but when it gets this cold... I surely do.

I've experienced one of those brutal winds blowing down from Canada, in Northern Virginia. It made my head hurt.

Weather
Define 'cold'.

IMG-0002.jpg

Where's that?

I've experienced one of those brutal winds blowing down from Canada, in Northern Virginia. It made my head hurt.
Yup, the two words you never like to hear around here... "POLAR VORTEX."

We started giving the cats probiotics a week ago and over the last couple of days they've been more active, especially Gizmo. Giz had been spending more time sleeping than anything else, suddenly he's bouncing around like a kitten again and even Jasper has more energy.

We started giving the cats probiotics a week ago and over the last couple of days they've been more active, especially Gizmo. Giz had been spending more time sleeping than anything else, suddenly he's bouncing around like a kitten again and even Jasper has more energy.

In what form do you give probiotics to cats?

Weather
Define 'cold'.

IMG-0002.jpg

Where's that?
I am acquainted with several people who have moved to Alaska from MN, SD, ND, and other equally charming places because our weather is nicer.

Any idea what was ailing them? Sometimes the four-leggers will suffer in sympathy with their two-legger family members.

Good morning, All!
Thought I'd stop by before beginning a busy day on the homestead. Unfortunately, the partner has emerged and is progressing downstairs to my personal lair.
I'm guessing we got close to 18 inches of snow yesterday but it has been busily melting all night long. I have a fresh pot of coffee started, that should please him.
I've mentioned my partner's hoarding problems before. He also has a few other "quirks". At least one window of an automobile must be left "cracked" in order to prevent the windshield from blowing out. All the curtains must be drawn in order to keep the house warm. So many other, little things. And, of course, when a problem escalates to requiring intercession, it must be dumped on me. The latest "treat" was a final notice from the Municipality of Anchorage (MOA) about his shitpile home there. He has until the 11 of Feb to do three things: move/relocate the junk cars in his front yard, remove or disable the refer & freezer, and remove the "weatherport" frames and coverings. While I did meet his case-worker (a really nice person) last fall, I was unaware how far the situation had progressed. Last summer I was dragging out a trailer load of crap from his place 2-3 times a month. Apparently, my efforts were not satisfactory to the "anonymous" complainant. (Everyone on the street knows who the "complainant" is...one of the nightmare neighbors I hope none of you have to deal with.) At any rate, I have been hounding my partner and have contacted the case worker and have requested I be copied in to any correspondence. I have learned some very interesting information about the case. Too bad I am a co-owner of the property. The fines for non-compliance are outrageous.

In what form do you give probiotics to cats?
They have it in treat form or powder. Next time I get the powder as I have to crush the treats and mix it with their wet food to get them to eat it.

Any idea what was ailing them? Sometimes the four-leggers will suffer in sympathy with their two-legger family members.
Commercial pet food barely has the minimum nutrient/vitamin content and almost no probiotics. It helps keep them from barfing all the time and helps build up their immune systems, something both of them need.

Last edited:
Commercial pet food barely has the minimum nutrient/vitamin content and almost no probiotics. It helps keep them from barfing all the time and helps build up their immune systems, something both of them need.
Cats are particularly susceptible to commercial food.

Pet foods/products have become a multi billion dollar business and has produced some inferior, sometime dangerous, products. People spend more on the pooch or kitty than we spent on our kids 30-40 years ago. Thirty years ago Purina was reliable to provide a good quality affordable product--they did the research and marketed good stuff. These days not so much though their premium stuff is probably as good as anybody else's. And according to our local vet--the one who take care of the mini doxie and shih tzu that stay here from time to time--even some of the premium expensive stuff is causing serious problems in cats and dogs, some life threatening. Some pet owners are resorting to making their own homemade pet food, but that is tricky to get the right balance of nutrients. Quality homemade is cheaper than commercial premium pet food though, and takes about two hours a month to make.

If we wind up with any permanent critter residents--we are the designated home for a lot of them out there if anything happens to their owners :) --I honestly don't know how I will decide what to feed them. But I'll do the best I can like we all do.

Pet foods/products have become a multi billion dollar business and has produced some inferior, sometime dangerous, products. People spend more on the pooch or kitty than we spent on our kids 30-40 years ago. Thirty years ago Purina was reliable to provide a good quality affordable product--they did the research and marketed good stuff. These days not so much though their premium stuff is probably as good as anybody else's. And according to our local vet--the one who take care of the mini doxie and shih tzu that stay here from time to time--even some of the premium expensive stuff is causing serious problems in cats and dogs, some life threatening. Some pet owners are resorting to making their own homemade pet food, but that is tricky to get the right balance of nutrients. Quality homemade is cheaper than commercial premium pet food though, and takes about two hours a month to make.

If we wind up with any permanent critter residents--we are the designated home for a lot of them out there if anything happens to their owners :) --I honestly don't know how I will decide what to feed them. But I'll do the best I can like we all do.
Try, try to find the products with the first three ingredients including meat or meat by products. Good luck and a 30lb bag will cost at least $35/bag. Corn, and corn by products are not dog/cat food, but are among the most common ingredients in animal food.

Cats are particularly susceptible to commercial food.
I tried to give my cat some of that Blue Diamond, supposed to be the best, but she reluctantly ate it, and didn't eat as much as she does of the Science Diet. They say you shouldn't change a cats food once you get them on something.

I fed my other cat Friskies canned food with a dry food later in the day, and he was a healthy guy. Lived to be almost 20. Never sick a day in his life. The new campfire cat gets a little can of Fancy Feast Gravy in the morning and then some dry food in the afternoon. She seems happy and healthy.

Forum List

Back