USMB Coffee Shop IV

I think that the above picture of a duck could be faked. but the cat in a birds nest is not,
Congratulations coffee shop, on reaching page 6000.View attachment 255478

Yeah, the duck obviously photoshopped, but I can believe the cat photo is not. I wonder what sort of bird built it? Maybe a dove's nest. But quite large.

Page 6000 for you for Coffee Shop IV, but Page 2000 for me because I am apparently set to show a lot more posts per page than you are. :)

6000 is with the default settings. It's the same for me, and I haven't changed how much is shown on a page.

I think that the above picture of a duck could be faked. but the cat in a birds nest is not,
Congratulations coffee shop, on reaching page 6000.View attachment 255478

Yeah, the duck obviously photoshopped, but I can believe the cat photo is not. I wonder what sort of bird built it? Maybe a dove's nest. But quite large.

Page 6000 for you for Coffee Shop IV, but Page 2000 for me because I am apparently set to show a lot more posts per page than you are. :)

6000 is with the default settings. It's the same for me, and I haven't changed how much is shown on a page.

Probably right. I changed mine to maximum posts shown on the page so long ago I forgot what the default setting was. :)

As a big PC user, I've long wondered why so many people today seem to prefer using their phones to using a computer for things I would normally associate with using the computer. I don't mean when they are out and about, I mean when they are sitting at home. People do internet searches on their phones, watch youtube videos on their phone, etc. This happens even when a different device is in the same place as their phone.

The little one wanted to watch youtube videos on her phone. I asked why she wanted to do that, rather than watch youtube on the 73" TV in the living room (we have Roku). Her answer boiled down to she likes it better. I got her to say that she likes to watch the videos in different rooms, and she likes holding the device, but really, I don't think she actually knows why she prefers it.

I've had a similar conversation with a friend of mine who, while not the sort of PC user I am, is entirely comfortable using them, and also can stream youtube to the TV. He admitted that he's not really sure why he uses the phone, other than habit.

Looking at a tiny phone screen rather than a monitor or TV, particularly when watching videos, is just very strange to me.

And then there was this:

56716247_1614468002031281_5711014659121741824_n.png

Photo from space over the dust storm in eastern New Mexico and west Texas yesterday. (They superimpose the state lines over the actual photo of course.) Those of you who have never experienced one of those up close and personal, you feel like you've been caught in a hurricane mixed with stinging gnats or porcupines.

56749109_2084541548261777_8398747283914489856_n.jpg

As a big PC user, I've long wondered why so many people today seem to prefer using their phones to using a computer for things I would normally associate with using the computer. I don't mean when they are out and about, I mean when they are sitting at home. People do internet searches on their phones, watch youtube videos on their phone, etc. This happens even when a different device is in the same place as their phone.

The little one wanted to watch youtube videos on her phone. I asked why she wanted to do that, rather than watch youtube on the 73" TV in the living room (we have Roku). Her answer boiled down to she likes it better. I got her to say that she likes to watch the videos in different rooms, and she likes holding the device, but really, I don't think she actually knows why she prefers it.

I've had a similar conversation with a friend of mine who, while not the sort of PC user I am, is entirely comfortable using them, and also can stream youtube to the TV. He admitted that he's not really sure why he uses the phone, other than habit.

Looking at a tiny phone screen rather than a monitor or TV, particularly when watching videos, is just very strange to me.

I have a smart phone and when I AM out and about, I appreciate having a lot of information at my fingertips in it or being able to do a quick internet search, etc. But at home and not doing laundry or busy in the kitchen, I am in the office with my PC and 27" monitor that I love or if watching TV in the living room, my laptop is in my lap. Not the phone.

Photo from space over the dust storm in eastern New Mexico and west Texas yesterday. (They superimpose the state lines over the actual photo of course.) Those of you who have never experienced one of those up close and personal, you feel like you've been caught in a hurricane mixed with stinging gnats or porcupines.

In the summer of '69, three of us rode with a buddy in his beautiful '69 cherry red and white El Dorado convertible from Ft Bliss in El Paso to Ft Sill in Lawton,OK. We started in a sandstorm and it lasted until we exited New Mexico and crossed into the Texas panhandle. When we got to Sill the whole left side of the car was bright pitted aluminum color. Naturally the guy had it repainted when we got back to El Paso. The lasting memory I have of that ride is the deafening sound of the wind and battering sand. Even screaming into another's ear was impossible to hear. The car was almost blown off the road countless times. It was like riding a Huey into a hot LZ.

In the summer of '69, three of us rode with a buddy in his beautiful '69 cherry red and white El Dorado convertible from Ft Bliss in El Paso to Ft Sill in Lawton,OK. We started in a sandstorm and it lasted until we exited New Mexico and crossed into the Texas panhandle. When we got to Sill the whole left side of the car was bright pitted aluminum color. Naturally the guy had it repainted when we got back to El Paso. The lasting memory I have of that ride is the deafening sound of the wind and battering sand. Even screaming into another's ear was impossible to hear. The car was almost blown off the road countless times. It was like riding a Huey into a hot LZ.

Been there done that. For reasons unnecessary to go into here but related to business, Hombre and I were living in Plainview (between Lubbock and Amarillo) and took the bus from there to Midland to pick up a car in Midland. And that was one of those hellish blinding roaring sandstorm days and we were on the right side of the bus headed south so the west wind was coming straight at us. By the time we got to Midland you couldn't tell what color our hair was or what color our clothes were because we were absolutely coated with the fine dust coming in around the windows.

Until you have experienced it, there is no adequate way to describe what it is like.

Last edited:

I do very little of that on my phone, the screen is way, way too small. I do bring my laptop to work with me. I have a 12V converter that runs my laptop and personal wi-fi. Public wi-fi around the airport is pretty unsafe, security-wise.

Been there done that. For reasons unnecessary to go into here but related to business, Hombre and I were living in Plainview (between Lubbock and Amarillo) and took the bus from there to Midland to pick up a car in Midland. And that was one of those hellish blinding roaring sandstorm days and we were on the right side of the bus headed south so the west wind was coming straight at us. By the time we got to Midland you couldn't tell what color our hair was or what color our clothes were because we were absolutely coated with the fine dust coming in around the windows.

Until you have experienced it, there is no adequate way to describe what it is like.
No sand, but when I drove my first Honda 350 from Monterey, CA to the coast of NC, I burned my points west of Amarillo. I managed to shoulder the bike against the wind and time the points by eye, but it wasn't easy The wind in those parts must have a name...Mariah, maybe?

No sand, but when I drove my first Honda 350 from Monterey, CA to the coast of NC, I burned my points west of Amarillo. I managed to shoulder the bike against the wind and time the points by eye, but it wasn't easy The wind in those parts must have a name...Mariah, maybe?

Diablo?

Mariah is a gentle breeze in West Texas. Heck a CAT 1 hurricane force isn't considered extreme. :)

I think I'm an A-6 or maybe an F-1. Light but not too light. And I like it a little sweet but sweetened with Stevia, not sugar.

D36h6nQWsAABd6g.jpg:large

Forum List

Back