USMB Coffee Shop IV

The lawnmower man from the actual Stephen King story is a fat, hairy minion of the devil who eats the grass (and other things, like woodchucks) mowed by a demonic mower. And he does it while naked. :lol:
Not a big Steven King fan, don't find his stuff scary at all, typically I just find it more predictable and boring.

The Shining is the only book of his I remember being scary, but I enjoy his books. I never went into them hoping to be scared. :dunno:
Honestly, I've never read one of his books just saw the movies and I agree the only one that was done well and scary and not all that predictable was The Shining. Now I did read a couple of Lovecraft's....... Gave me friggin' nightmares.......

If you want nightmares, I recommend the short stories of M.R.James. 'Ghost stories of antiquary' Now they are scary. One was made into a film called' night of the demon'
Actually I hate horror, I don't get why people like being scared, I don't.

Oh ! go on, treat yourself to an old horror film. 'night of the demon' is free to watch on the following link.

The lawnmower man from the actual Stephen King story is a fat, hairy minion of the devil who eats the grass (and other things, like woodchucks) mowed by a demonic mower. And he does it while naked. :lol:
Not a big Steven King fan, don't find his stuff scary at all, typically I just find it more predictable and boring.

The Shining is the only book of his I remember being scary, but I enjoy his books. I never went into them hoping to be scared. :dunno:
Honestly, I've never read one of his books just saw the movies and I agree the only one that was done well and scary and not all that predictable was The Shining. Now I did read a couple of Lovecraft's....... Gave me friggin' nightmares.......

If you want nightmares, I recommend the short stories of M.R.James. 'Ghost stories of antiquary' Now they are scary. One was made into a film called' night of the demon'
Actually I hate horror, I don't get why people like being scared, I don't.

That's me Ringel. I do not ever go out of my way to watch any movie that I know is going to qualify as a 'horror movie' or 'slasher' movie or that contains a large amount of unnecessary gratuitous graphic sex, violence, blood and gore, or is all special effects.

Evenso, circumstances did have me watching "Carrie", "The Shining", and "The Matrix" all of which I have to appreciate for their brilliance in concept and execution.

Well....ancestry had a sale of half off to see where you are from. So, I splurged and did it.

97% England, Wales, Northwestern Europe.
3% Ireland and Scotland.

Funny how folks are attracted to certain times/locations in history and it turns out the location is not only in your hobby/interests, its also in your genes.:)

ED2OBKrXUAEtmdq.jpg

When my big sister was in college, she and her roommate won six live baby ducks in a carnival game. They were living in the dormitory where a no pets of any kind rule was strictly enforced. But they couldn't find anybody reliable to take the ducks so they took them back to the dormitory and raised them in the bath tub until they were about 10 weeks old and could fend for themselves and they took them to a lake in the city park and turned them loose there. Somehow or other they didn't get caught. :)

I was lawnmower man yesterday... :2up:

Got the old carpet stripped out, all the nasty old trim out, all new trim up except I was SHORT a tiny little bit to finish... :45:

Got a bike ride tomorrow but going to run and get trim to finish Saturday, then I got a real nice color paint to match the tile, then it's time to tile. Should be pretty sweet when it's all done. People will see a nice, new, clean, sharp looking little back porch instead of a nasty old messed up, wet dog smelling porch.
Just in case you thought I was actually talking about mowing lawns.........

The movie based on the book was a masterpiece of horror movies though. It had it all without being unnecessarily gruesome or graphic. It sure got the job done being scary though.

I've read that King did not like Kubrick's version of The Shining. I thought it was excellent, although it's been years and years since I watched it, so I don't know how well it's held up over time.

By the way, Lovecraft was the one who (indirectly) put King on the path to writing horror, supposedly he was the one author who could scare King......... And King borrowed heavily from Lovecraft.
Lovecraft himself was a fascinating, strange man who was himself inspired by the Gothic horror writers such as Poe. He never finished high school thus was self taught, he wouldn't go out during the day but only at night, both his parents were committed to insane asylums, he began experiencing the parasomnia ‘night terrors’ from the age of six. Night terrors cause the sufferer to physically move or scream to escape waking dreams........ He wrote 100,000 letters in his lifetime second only to Voltaire.
Just a few tidbits. If you like being scared, read H. P. Lovecraft.

I got night terrors when I was very young. Apparently I would wake up crying and screaming and was inconsolable when it happened. There are no real dreams involved, just feelings of dread. I don't actually remember it, but my mother has described it to me.

It’s hurricane season. Why do news reporters stand out in the storm to tell us the wind is blowing, it’s raining and things are being destroyed as a result of the hurricaine’s fury? How dumb is that’s?

It’s hurricane season. Why do news reporters stand out in the storm to tell us the wind is blowing, it’s raining and things are being destroyed as a result of the hurricaine’s fury? How dumb is that’s?

:) I have often wondered about that myself. Of course a lot of it is staged. We have all seen the reporter leaning into the ferocious wind, but the folks walking behind him are chatting normally and not bothered by it at all. Or the reporter in the row boat talking about the terrible flooding when in her live broadcast two guys are walking just behind her in the ankle deep water.

But I am pretty unimpressed by the guy giving his weather report while standing in the rain just to show that it is raining. A camera pan could acommplish that a lot better. To me he just looks a bit silly.

And top of the morning to you BBD--it's still morning in New Mexico for just a little while longer. I am trying to remember. Are you a Packers fan? Bears? Or are you the Washington Redskins guy?

We also personify hurricanes with names. They are weather terrorists, don't give them a name.

Jasper, our oldest has been following me around a lot lately, I went into the great room to talk with the wife, turned around and there he was right behind me...... First thing that popped into my head was "I'm being followed by a moonshadow".

It's funny because I thought Gordon Lightfoot sang that one, so much for a great memory...... :lol:

Most likely waiting for an ideal opportunity to trip you.

Oh boy.

Only just today heard that one of my more favorite gal pals from the early 1980s passed in April '18.

Unfortunately, the years of booze and recreational substances played hell with her....Aged her more than a decade beyond her relatively young age....I'll always remember her looking like this...That smirk was golden...

RIP, Lisa.

256167_0j6k5vxzeir.JPEG

Forum List

Back