USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good night darlinks. I really do love you guys.
And we continue to pray and/or send good vibes and/or positive thoughts and/or keep vigil for:

Harper
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
Wellness for Foxfyre's sister and Hombre's sister
Montrovant for continued progress in his transition.
JustAnotherNut for strength and wisdom dealing with challenges.
Gracie & Mr. G in difficult transition and for positive trend to continue.
Seagal and Mr. Seagal.
Peach for healing
Beautress for wellness
Kat for wellness
Mrs. Ringel05 for good results and comfort with new meds.
Gallantwarrior for strength, patience, healing, comfort in his challenge with caring for Rod and Rod's healing.
All those we love and care about who aren't on the list.

And we keep the porch light on so that those who have been away can find their way back.

280044-9-11...never-Forget.jpg

Like i mentioned earlier last week I got the garage cleaned up and organized, yesterday evening, late morning today and finally this afternoon (after sleeping hard in my office chair for a couple of hours) I finally have the PackRat emptied out and swept........ Right now if a feather hit me on the head it would knock me out...... I'm going to take a few days and recover.
But you can treasure the sense of accomplishment. Always a great feeling when a project is finally done. Congratulations!

Dropped my brother at the airport. Now I has a sad:th_dontgosmiley-1: He was a great help to me and a boost to my sanity. Amazing how well we worked together and how much we got done in these past few weeks. He helped me unload and stack a load of hay, got in 2 1/2 cords of wood, and helped start the newest goat shed. Of course, I still have to finish up a few things. If I can stay organized and focused, things will happen as needed.
Partner had an appointment with a cardiologist today and the news was encouraging. It'll take about a year for the stint to be "permanent", though. Rod claims he'll be driving by the end of this month. Hell, he can barely stand up with aid. He can now touch his right forefinger to his nose, most of the time, and he does have some grip. I told him he wouldn't be driving until the docs tell him he can. He observed how having a stroke did not mean his driver's license was suspended. Guess again, buddy! I hid the car keys. It's still a pain because he's had at least 2, usually 3 appointments every week. He's claiming he'll be back to work by Thanksgiving. I guess it's good to have a goal, but it should be a realistic goal. I have to be supportive although skeptical so he won't crash when he doesn't get there by then.
Thank you all for the encouragement and support throughout this difficult time, too!

Dropped my brother at the airport. Now I has a sad:th_dontgosmiley-1: He was a great help to me and a boost to my sanity. Amazing how well we worked together and how much we got done in these past few weeks. He helped me unload and stack a load of hay, got in 2 1/2 cords of wood, and helped start the newest goat shed. Of course, I still have to finish up a few things. If I can stay organized and focused, things will happen as needed.
Partner had an appointment with a cardiologist today and the news was encouraging. It'll take about a year for the stint to be "permanent", though. Rod claims he'll be driving by the end of this month. Hell, he can barely stand up with aid. He can now touch his right forefinger to his nose, most of the time, and he does have some grip. I told him he wouldn't be driving until the docs tell him he can. He observed how having a stroke did not mean his driver's license was suspended. Guess again, buddy! I hid the car keys. It's still a pain because he's had at least 2, usually 3 appointments every week. He's claiming he'll be back to work by Thanksgiving. I guess it's good to have a goal, but it should be a realistic goal. I have to be supportive although skeptical so he won't crash when he doesn't get there by then.
Thank you all for the encouragement and support throughout this difficult time, too!

Sometimes having a goal, even if it seems unrealistic to us......is just the motivator for him to keep going. It may be annoying or outlandish to you for him to think he'll be 'right back at it' in a few short months......but it would be a whole lot worse on you and him, if he gave up completely and stayed or became completely helpless invalid.
Who knows, he may become fully functional by Thanksgiving...…..stranger things have happened like that. But even if it took a few months longer to achieve what he's wanting to happen....I'm sure he'd be further along by his timeline than if he didn't try at all. Much of our healing is in the power of the mind.

Now all that being said...…..you do have my sympathy and support as I know it can be as hard or even harder on the caretaker than it is on the patient. :smiliehug:

Setting a goal and working for it usually gets us further along than we would likely get otherwise. But I understand GW's concern that the goal should be at least attainable, and not of a nature that throws the person into depression if it isn't reached.

Sometimes having a goal, even if it seems unrealistic to us......is just the motivator for him to keep going. It may be annoying or outlandish to you for him to think he'll be 'right back at it' in a few short months......but it would be a whole lot worse on you and him, if he gave up completely and stayed or became completely helpless invalid.
Who knows, he may become fully functional by Thanksgiving...…..stranger things have happened like that. But even if it took a few months longer to achieve what he's wanting to happen....I'm sure he'd be further along by his timeline than if he didn't try at all. Much of our healing is in the power of the mind.

Now all that being said...…..you do have my sympathy and support as I know it can be as hard or even harder on the caretaker than it is on the patient. :smiliehug:
I am glad he has a goal. And I would be ecstatic if he could get back to work, the sooner-the better. I'm just apprehensive of the blowback if he fails. I do agree that the power of the mind is amazing. You are a living example of how well that power works and I look to you.

Like i mentioned earlier last week I got the garage cleaned up and organized, yesterday evening, late morning today and finally this afternoon (after sleeping hard in my office chair for a couple of hours) I finally have the PackRat emptied out and swept........ Right now if a feather hit me on the head it would knock me out...... I'm going to take a few days and recover.
But you can treasure the sense of accomplishment. Always a great feeling when a project is finally done. Congratulations!
You know as well as I that's just the start of a whole long list of things that have to be because I did this one. The stuff is in now so other priorities take precedence. One is the cancer drug they wife is taking makes her get cold easy, I have the swamp on and she's wrapped up in a blanket, I'm just comfortable....... So since I spend more time in my home office and with two desktops running it gets warm so I bought a small AC window unit. It's not going to be a quick fix as this house is only two wire electrical and the window is a slider, not a hung window. That means I have to get/make a support for the AC unit, do something to seal off the open area above the AC unit and run a 20 amp 3 wire. The 20 amp will be easy, the circuit box is an outside box maybe 15 feet from where I sit, just run some conduit to the outside wall of the office, pull exterior grade wire through, drill through the outer wall, add a interior box and plug and put in the breaker. I want to add the 20 amp because even though the breaker box is new I want the AC unit on it's own circuit that way I'm not drawing too much power on one circuit with all the computers, etc.

Oh and speaking of office...... Had ordered new RAM for my new computer build, it arrived but still having the same problem. Now I get to pack up the motherboard and ship it back to ASUS for repair or replacement.

One thing I need to do is replace the existing ceiling fans with our really good ones we've been hauling around since we left Virginia, not a high priority but still needs to be done.

Oh and speaking of office...... Had ordered new RAM for my new computer build, it arrived but still having the same problem. Now I get to pack up the motherboard and ship it back to ASUS for repair or replacement.

Speaking of that, Hombre's HP computer is fairly new but only has 4 gigs ram. If I got 8 gigs ram, would you know how to switch it out?

Speaking of that, Hombre's HP computer is fairly new but only has 4 gigs ram. If I got 8 gigs ram, would you know how to switch it out?
Yes, it's really easy. Desktop or laptop? Plus you have to make sure you have the correct RAM for that unit.

What's the HP model number?

Not where I can get it right now. But it's a HP Pavilion Desktop. I'll holler at you when we get ready to do that. (If ever. :) )

Not where I can get it right now. But it's a HP Pavilion Desktop. I'll holler at you when we get ready to do that. (If ever. :) )
It should have a model number and what year did you buy it? Was it brand new when you bought it.
One thing to check out is how much speed will you gain by adding more RAM? Sometimes it's negligible depending on how fast other components are, if the motherboard has the capability to handle more RAM and actually speed the system up.

I am a Packer and Washington Redskin fan. It breaks my heart to see Randall Cobb playing for Dallas and Clay Mathews playing for the Rams. When the Packers played the Bears last Thursday I hardly knew anybody on the Packer team. The score was the Packers 10 and the Bears 3. The Packers won but it was such a poorly played game I’m surprised anybody won. I’m not a Dallas fan but you have to admit they played some awesome football on Sunday.
I haven't watched any football for two years. The Packer game the other night was the first time I've watched any. Would be the third year not watching had I not. But I had no idea Mathews had defected to the Rams.

On another note, I've been having problems with my new Chevy 2018 High Country. Had to take it in for a whining noise coming from the transmission. They did a flush on it and that fixed it, for a DAY, then right back in because the noise was worse. Sounds like a power steering pump low on fluid. We've all heard that. I know it's the pump in the transmission making the noise. When I started it up sitting here in the shop to take it back in it clunked and lurched forward sitting in park, and that was about the 4th time it's done that. So, been dealing today with them on a new 2019 Chevy LTZ, and GM is even going to help "some" to pay the difference. But I'm not hopeful. I'm not going to get screwed, blued and tattooed trading in. They want me to come over in the morning to deal, but... from the numbers I've ran, it's not looking good. My brand new High Country according to NADA has depreciated twice as fast as I've been paying on it.

Last edited:
I had to hide car keys at night by wearing blue jeans to bed, and having the 3 sets of keys in my pockets to keep the car from disappearing at night. Prayers up for what you're going through, gallantwarrior. :eusa_pray:

I finally found an all red quilt, but the blocks are not log cabin, but they are 6 logs sewn as 6" squares most likely.
0c8b961e3c14466b3565f73697e582be.jpg

I did 35 squares of log cabins that measure 7" when finished, and each square has 13 pieces. So tomorrow, I hope to sew them together and complete some more red squares for another charity quilt. This one is going to have a fireman border and will be given to my late friend EJ's family because they have 5 grandchildren who are boys and 5 who are girls. They are EJ's step grandkids, and I promised him before he died I'd make sure that his stepson, who retired as police chief last year, would be given fireman fabric quilts for the boys and girl stuff for the girls. I still have some red fire trucks for the border, but the more I look at the long brick border on the quilt above, the more I like it. But the red old-timey fire trucks will be the outer border regardless of what else is done to the quilt to make it a bit bigger since the grandsons will be long, tall drinks of water when they get to be teenagers, I'm pretty sure. A couple of them are already 5th grade or 6th. All the rest are younger than that. My goal is to make sure they have a quilt that will still cover their toes when they are 12 years old, and the older kids, maybe 15. They're the cutest kids. :) And I have about 4 ready to go to charity, and for every one of the 10 quilts I made for EJ's family, my goal is to do at least 20 more by the end of this year, half of which will be red, and half of which will be blue. I was thinking about doing all blue quilts this year, but when EJ spent 44 years being a county volunteer fireman, and I saw all his placques for 25, 30, 35, 40 and 44 years and know he put in an extra couple of years doing for the fire department after that, his grandkids were going to get firemen quilts. ;)

Worked all day on red quilt log cabin blockss, sang in the choir and went to karaoke before I got back here this evening. Have a lovely day tomorrow, everyone.​

I am glad he has a goal. And I would be ecstatic if he could get back to work, the sooner-the better. I'm just apprehensive of the blowback if he fails. I do agree that the power of the mind is amazing. You are a living example of how well that power works and I look to you.

I understand all too well that blowback in failure. That's when you'll need gently remind him just how far he has come and how much worse it could have been....but wasn't.

And I don't know about my being an example or anyone to look to......I'm just as messed up as anybody & probably more so, if truth be told. Anything I've ever done or accomplished is nothing more than anyone else would do in the same situation.

When life smacks you up side the head, you just gotta step up and smack it back.:slap:

Forum List

Back