USMB Coffee Shop IV

I read the snippets of life stories here in the Coffee Shop--some of those snippets develop by reading over the years. And there are amazing people who post here, some having gone through hell and back, some still doing it, some overcoming adversity that would crush lesser folk, all sharing and at the same time lending shoulders to lean on. .

I am humbled and honored to know each and every one of you. So many have helped me and will never know when and how. Thank you all.

Blessings and good night everybody. No change in the vigil list. I really do love you guys.

harvestmoon.jpg

Compared to many, I've got off lightly. For example, reading about the lady who lost everything in the CA fires.

But.......my shoulder, following surgery, is taking ages to heal.

I hear that Mindful. We need to put you on the vigil list yes? But shoulder and knee surgery does seem to take longer than other kinds of corrective surgery.

Compared to many, I've got off lightly. For example, reading about the lady who lost everything in the CA fires.

I hear that Mindful. We need to put you on the vigil list yes? But shoulder and knee surgery does seem to take longer than other kinds of corrective surgery.
Yes the do.

Soooo, you never answered my questions about Hombre's HP. Is it a desktop? If it is the model number should be on a sticker on the side.

It's been a busy week at work. 8, 11, 11.5, and 10 hours approximately so far. Tomorrow will be all OT. I got an email about a job I had applied to, I will hopefully talk to the guy this weekend and see if it's something I want to do. I'm not sure what the pay is, or even the location at this point :lol:. It's at least medical-related, although lab work rather than information management. With my current job seemingly headed to a direct hire at some point, I'm not sure if I want to take another job if it's a long commute. Still, good to know at least someone is possibly interested and I'll see what pans out.

Yes the do.

Soooo, you never answered my questions about Hombre's HP. Is it a desktop? If it is the model number should be on a sticker on the side.

Oh I'm sorry. I thought I did. It's a fairly new HP Pavilion desktop. Model #590-p-0020

It's been a busy week at work. 8, 11, 11.5, and 10 hours approximately so far. Tomorrow will be all OT. I got an email about a job I had applied to, I will hopefully talk to the guy this weekend and see if it's something I want to do. I'm not sure what the pay is, or even the location at this point :lol:. It's at least medical-related, although lab work rather than information management. With my current job seemingly headed to a direct hire at some point, I'm not sure if I want to take another job if it's a long commute. Still, good to know at least someone is possibly interested and I'll see what pans out.

Yes. It's a great time to be making a career move so long as it doesn't have more negatives than you can accept and still enjoy the job.

Yes the do.

Oh I'm sorry. I thought I did. It's a fairly new HP Pavilion desktop. Model #590-p-0020

Grandpa gets a new I-pad

Embedded video - Snotr

Yes the do.

Okay, another 4GB RAM (4GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM) is what Crucial says is compatible with Hombre's HP and is around $20. The problem is usually you can't just buy another 4gb stick and add it unless it's the exact same one that's already installed, sometimes......... What the specs tell me is you have one 4gb DDR4-2666 SDRAM.
I found one that exactly fits what you have but it's $60......... Soooo, if that's the case you can actually upgrade to 16gb of RAM........ Wait for it........ Cheaper!

This is supposed to fit your HP but I need to double check.

OLOy 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model MD4U082616BGDA - Newegg.com

If you choose the Parrot Red it's a dollar cheaper.

Last edited:
Like i mentioned earlier last week I got the garage cleaned up and organized, yesterday evening, late morning today and finally this afternoon (after sleeping hard in my office chair for a couple of hours) I finally have the PackRat emptied out and swept........ Right now if a feather hit me on the head it would knock me out...... I'm going to take a few days and recover.
But you can treasure the sense of accomplishment. Always a great feeling when a project is finally done. Congratulations!
You know as well as I that's just the start of a whole long list of things that have to be because I did this one. The stuff is in now so other priorities take precedence. One is the cancer drug they wife is taking makes her get cold easy, I have the swamp on and she's wrapped up in a blanket, I'm just comfortable....... So since I spend more time in my home office and with two desktops running it gets warm so I bought a small AC window unit. It's not going to be a quick fix as this house is only two wire electrical and the window is a slider, not a hung window. That means I have to get/make a support for the AC unit, do something to seal off the open area above the AC unit and run a 20 amp 3 wire. The 20 amp will be easy, the circuit box is an outside box maybe 15 feet from where I sit, just run some conduit to the outside wall of the office, pull exterior grade wire through, drill through the outer wall, add a interior box and plug and put in the breaker. I want to add the 20 amp because even though the breaker box is new I want the AC unit on it's own circuit that way I'm not drawing too much power on one circuit with all the computers, etc.
I apologize for oversimplifying. You are correct that there is so much that has to be because one is no longer equal to the other. Right now, I am training myself to ignore some of the partner's more obnoxious habits. It's difficult at times because of the way he slurs his words. He sounds perpetually drunk and has little inflection. That, and there's a short-term memory loss that has to be dealt with. Do your wife's treatments affect her mental capacity? It's difficult enough to deal with so many appointments and no real prognosis for successful healing.
Ringel, I do hope you wife gets better. She certainly has a good helper.

Yes the do.

Okay, another 4GB RAM (4GB DDR4-2400 UDIMM) is what Crucial says is compatible with Hombre's HP and is around $20. The problem is usually you can't just buy another 4gb stick and add it unless it's the exact same one that's already installed, sometimes......... What the specs tell me is you have one 4gb DDR4-2666 SDRAM.
I found one that exactly fits what you have but it's $60......... Soooo, if that's the case you can actually upgrade to 16gb of RAM........ Wait for it........ Cheaper!

This is supposed to fit your HP but I need to double check.

OLOy 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model MD4U082616BGDA - Newegg.com

If you choose the Parrot Red it's a dollar cheaper.
Also one other thing I noticed, it's horribly under-powered with a 180Watt power supply unit. Heck I didn't know they even made them that weak any longer. If he ever wants to add a graphics card at some later point that will have to be upgraded.

Dropped my brother at the airport. Now I has a sad:th_dontgosmiley-1: He was a great help to me and a boost to my sanity. Amazing how well we worked together and how much we got done in these past few weeks. He helped me unload and stack a load of hay, got in 2 1/2 cords of wood, and helped start the newest goat shed. Of course, I still have to finish up a few things. If I can stay organized and focused, things will happen as needed.
Partner had an appointment with a cardiologist today and the news was encouraging. It'll take about a year for the stint to be "permanent", though. Rod claims he'll be driving by the end of this month. Hell, he can barely stand up with aid. He can now touch his right forefinger to his nose, most of the time, and he does have some grip. I told him he wouldn't be driving until the docs tell him he can. He observed how having a stroke did not mean his driver's license was suspended. Guess again, buddy! I hid the car keys. It's still a pain because he's had at least 2, usually 3 appointments every week. He's claiming he'll be back to work by Thanksgiving. I guess it's good to have a goal, but it should be a realistic goal. I have to be supportive although skeptical so he won't crash when he doesn't get there by then.
Thank you all for the encouragement and support throughout this difficult time, too!
I had to hide car keys at night by wearing blue jeans to bed, and having the 3 sets of keys in my pockets to keep the car from disappearing at night. Prayers up for what you're going through, gallantwarrior. :eusa_pray:
I put the keys where he'll never look, under the trash basket under the sink. He usually doesn't even get trash as far as the kitchen basket and since he's been "disabled", I have to pick up his trash from the floor under the sofa. He did find my stash of Hershey's kisses, though. They were "hidden" in plain sight. Car keys, not so much...

Dropped my brother at the airport. Now I has a sad:th_dontgosmiley-1: He was a great help to me and a boost to my sanity. Amazing how well we worked together and how much we got done in these past few weeks. He helped me unload and stack a load of hay, got in 2 1/2 cords of wood, and helped start the newest goat shed. Of course, I still have to finish up a few things. If I can stay organized and focused, things will happen as needed.
Partner had an appointment with a cardiologist today and the news was encouraging. It'll take about a year for the stint to be "permanent", though. Rod claims he'll be driving by the end of this month. Hell, he can barely stand up with aid. He can now touch his right forefinger to his nose, most of the time, and he does have some grip. I told him he wouldn't be driving until the docs tell him he can. He observed how having a stroke did not mean his driver's license was suspended. Guess again, buddy! I hid the car keys. It's still a pain because he's had at least 2, usually 3 appointments every week. He's claiming he'll be back to work by Thanksgiving. I guess it's good to have a goal, but it should be a realistic goal. I have to be supportive although skeptical so he won't crash when he doesn't get there by then.
Thank you all for the encouragement and support throughout this difficult time, too!

Sometimes having a goal, even if it seems unrealistic to us......is just the motivator for him to keep going. It may be annoying or outlandish to you for him to think he'll be 'right back at it' in a few short months......but it would be a whole lot worse on you and him, if he gave up completely and stayed or became completely helpless invalid.
Who knows, he may become fully functional by Thanksgiving...…..stranger things have happened like that. But even if it took a few months longer to achieve what he's wanting to happen....I'm sure he'd be further along by his timeline than if he didn't try at all. Much of our healing is in the power of the mind.

Now all that being said...…..you do have my sympathy and support as I know it can be as hard or even harder on the caretaker than it is on the patient. :smiliehug:
I am glad he has a goal. And I would be ecstatic if he could get back to work, the sooner-the better. I'm just apprehensive of the blowback if he fails. I do agree that the power of the mind is amazing. You are a living example of how well that power works and I look to you.

I understand all too well that blowback in failure. That's when you'll need gently remind him just how far he has come and how much worse it could have been....but wasn't.

And I don't know about my being an example or anyone to look to......I'm just as messed up as anybody & probably more so, if truth be told. Anything I've ever done or accomplished is nothing more than anyone else would do in the same situation.

When life smacks you up side the head, you just gotta step up and smack it back.:slap:
Sometimes, you just have to smack your partner up side the head!!! He's not the suicide type, though. He just gets bitter-er and more nasty. My brother has given me the tools and coaching to ignore the bitter and keep moving. Bless my brother. I guess after 30 years dealing with k-12 students, and their parents, he's developed some great coping skills.

Like i mentioned earlier last week I got the garage cleaned up and organized, yesterday evening, late morning today and finally this afternoon (after sleeping hard in my office chair for a couple of hours) I finally have the PackRat emptied out and swept........ Right now if a feather hit me on the head it would knock me out...... I'm going to take a few days and recover.
But you can treasure the sense of accomplishment. Always a great feeling when a project is finally done. Congratulations!
You know as well as I that's just the start of a whole long list of things that have to be because I did this one. The stuff is in now so other priorities take precedence. One is the cancer drug they wife is taking makes her get cold easy, I have the swamp on and she's wrapped up in a blanket, I'm just comfortable....... So since I spend more time in my home office and with two desktops running it gets warm so I bought a small AC window unit. It's not going to be a quick fix as this house is only two wire electrical and the window is a slider, not a hung window. That means I have to get/make a support for the AC unit, do something to seal off the open area above the AC unit and run a 20 amp 3 wire. The 20 amp will be easy, the circuit box is an outside box maybe 15 feet from where I sit, just run some conduit to the outside wall of the office, pull exterior grade wire through, drill through the outer wall, add a interior box and plug and put in the breaker. I want to add the 20 amp because even though the breaker box is new I want the AC unit on it's own circuit that way I'm not drawing too much power on one circuit with all the computers, etc.
I apologize for oversimplifying. You are correct that there is so much that has to be because one is no longer equal to the other. Right now, I am training myself to ignore some of the partner's more obnoxious habits. It's difficult at times because of the way he slurs his words. He sounds perpetually drunk and has little inflection. That, and there's a short-term memory loss that has to be dealt with. Do your wife's treatments affect her mental capacity? It's difficult enough to deal with so many appointments and no real prognosis for successful healing.
Hey, don't worry about it (oversimplification), I wasn't upset. Yes there's a thing called Chemo Brain where often some short term memory is gone, the wife has no recollection of some of the conversations we've had, it can be frustrating for both of us.

I read the snippets of life stories here in the Coffee Shop--some of those snippets develop by reading over the years. And there are amazing people who post here, some having gone through hell and back, some still doing it, some overcoming adversity that would crush lesser folk, all sharing and at the same time lending shoulders to lean on. .

I am humbled and honored to know each and every one of you. So many have helped me and will never know when and how. Thank you all.

Blessings and good night everybody. No change in the vigil list. I really do love you guys.

harvestmoon.jpg
A HUGE thank you to you, Foxy and all the many others here who share their journeys with the rest of us. This is an oasis of sanity in a world of crazy.

Good luck, Montro. May this work out for your best outcome.

Hey, don't worry about it (oversimplification), I wasn't upset. Yes there's a thing called Chemo Brain where often some short term memory is gone, the wife has no recollection of some of the conversations we've had, it can be frustrating for both of us.
The partner likes to relate stories I've heard dozens of times before but they are not the same as they used to be.

I'd wondered about these 'symptoms', concerning a friend of mine. She gets chemo once a week, as a preventative measure, to stabilise her blood cancer, and prevent it from invading her kidneys, which it already had done with disastrous results. She is also on morphine. One of her symptoms was to insist we went to a restaurant which hasn't been there for years. And some weird behaviour in the bank.

I have fond memories of her being fit and well, riding her bicycle to meet me for lunch. We'd planned a road trip around England. Sadly, that will never happen.

I'd wondered about these 'symptoms', concerning a friend of mine. She gets chemo once a week, as a preventative measure, to stabilise her blood cancer, and prevent it from invading her kidneys, which it already had done with disastrous results. She is also on morphine. One of her symptoms was to insist we went to a restaurant which hasn't been there for years. And some weird behaviour in the bank.

I have fond memories of her being fit and well, riding her bicycle to meet me for lunch. We'd planned a road trip around England. Sadly, that will never happen.
It's not just the disease it's the drugs also. Basically the drugs are poison they kill off the bad and the good.

Forum List

Back