USMB Coffee Shop IV

Morning folks! Today is National Chili Dog Day ... :thup:

chili_Dog_Day.jpg
Again?!? Already!?!

That appears to be a Skyline Chili dog from Cincinnati. I had a friend who studied there at the University of Cincinnati (go Bearcats). He made a point of eating at least one meal a day at Skyline. He made a calendar and took a penny from his pocket, doused it with Skyline hot sauce to shine it up, and glued it to the calendar, one for each dog he ate.

That calendar paid for his books the following quarter.

It is indeed the skyline chili dog from Cincinnati ... :D

However, no one beats Coney Island chili dogs. I've tried many chili dogs, but Coney Island are tops ... :thup:

913.jpg

I can devour those. In the past, I used to wish for a chile dog contest to see how fast which idiot could eat the most within a time frame. I knew I would win...lol

I used to also prepare them at home, this way: First, boil some hot dogs until they just barely split open. Remove them from water, place into a bun that has been pan-warmed `till almost crusty, and with most of the air pressed out, then spoon chili onto them add cheddar cheese, then put it all under the broiler until cheese is bubbling. Remove, add chopped onions, let sit a minute, then devour. :thup: :thup:

Do not weigh yourself the next morning. Fast all day....:badgrin:

Again?!? Already!?!

That appears to be a Skyline Chili dog from Cincinnati. I had a friend who studied there at the University of Cincinnati (go Bearcats). He made a point of eating at least one meal a day at Skyline. He made a calendar and took a penny from his pocket, doused it with Skyline hot sauce to shine it up, and glued it to the calendar, one for each dog he ate.

However, no one beats Coney Island chili dogs. I've tried many chili dogs, but Coney Island are tops ... :thup:

913.jpg

I can devour those. In the past, I used to wish for a chile dog contest to see how fast which idiot could eat the most within a time frame. I knew I would win...lol

I used to also prepare them at home, this way: First, boil some hot dogs until they just barely split open. Remove them from water, place into a bun that has been pan-warmed `till almost crusty, and with most of the air pressed out, then spoon chili onto them add cheddar cheese, then put it all under the broiler until cheese is bubbling. Remove, add chopped onions, let sit a minute, then devour. :thup: :thup:

That one with cheese has my name on it. :)

913.jpg

oh yea. i love a chili cheesedog.

oh yea. i love a chili cheesedog.

Darn that Jughead. They look so good. :)

Mrs. Liberty likes a local place called Coney Hut. Don't think I have ever had one with cheese on it though. Guess I'm a purist.

Morning folks! Today is National Chili Dog Day ... :thup:

chili_Dog_Day.jpg
Again?!? Already!?!

913.jpg

The best thing in that pic to me is the saltines :D When ever I cook chili or spaghetti sauce I eat so much saltines dipped into them pretending to test, that at dinner time I'm full

There is a mobile hotdog stand that sets up across the street some days. It is here today and they have coney sauce.

When I kick the bucket, hubby will cremate me, add my ashes to Gracies (she is in a heart shaped box on my end table), then take us to Montana de Oro and toss us in the waves. If he goes before me..I will do the same for him. But neither of us will do it until the last one standing has all the ashes together. Me or hubby, Gracie, karma, Moki. The inlaws (or a good friend) will toss the the last one once that one is gone, too...in the same place the others went prior.

My ashes will go for one last ride, one of my sons will hop on my Harley with my wife, if she survives me, or my daughter, if not, on the back.
At somewhere around 100 mph, the urn will be opened, and my ashes will be given back to the wind I love.

When you good people speak of "Coney Island", are you talking about a generic chili sauce or are you talking about a specific Coney Island Brooklyn New York hot dog place?

I've been to Nathan's on Neptune Avenue in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Coney Island. Dogs there go for prices resembling the price of a New York Strip steak here. I bought two (2) chili dogs, an order of fries (and they were frozen, not fresh cut fries the way they are supposed to be prepared), and a large Diet Coke for the hansom sum of $13.75!

Chili dogs here in the greater Pittsburgh area are just that: chili dogs. No mention of Coney Island at all.

Are there both Coney Island the place and coney island the sauce?

Regional differences fascinate me.

Frankly, that is a relief Ernie. I thought we were going to have to drop you into a hole with the Harley at full throttle.

Forum List

Back