USMB Coffee Shop IV

Regional places have so much pride in small things. Coney Island... chili dogs
Savin Rock.... (New Haven) chili dogs, Philly... sliced steak, onions and cheese on a roll, Buffalo.... chicken wings.
You can have as good or better all over, but my dream chili dog right now would be at Jimmy's in Savin Rock.

When you good people speak of "Coney Island", are you talking about a generic chili sauce or are you talking about a specific Coney Island Brooklyn New York hot dog place?

I've been to Nathan's on Neptune Avenue in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Coney Island. Dogs there go for prices resembling the price of a New York Strip steak here. I bought two (2) chili dogs, an order of fries (and they were frozen, not fresh cut fries the way they are supposed to be prepared), and a large Diet Coke for the hansom sum of $13.75!

Chili dogs here in the greater Pittsburgh area are just that: chili dogs. No mention of Coney Island at all.

Are there both Coney Island the place and coney island the sauce?

Regional differences fascinate me.

Good morning all. As I probably mentioned during the great hamburger debate recently, I am a hotdog person much more than a hamburger person. Given a choice between the two, I will take the hotdog every time.

So the perfect chili dog:

Start with a good quality wiener--Hebrew National or some such--and put it on the grill or under the broiler or even in a pan and cook until the skin split and it is beginning to blacken--not burnt, just blackened.

The bun is preferably heated--even a little toasted is good but not absolutely necessary. Smear on a good quality yellow mustard, add the blackened wiener, some chopped sweet onion, and a tablespoon or two of Wolf Brand chili. Mmmmm good.

So we had a good night last night. We go back to the clinic this afternoon where Hombre will have a skin graft put on the place where they took the cancer off--that sounds worse than it actually is. The graft isn't absolutely necessary but the doc strongly recommends it both for quickness of healing, reduction in likelihood of infection, and it greatly reduces the chance that the cancer will return.

And for today's history lesson. . . .

On this day in history, July 31,1790, the first U.S. patent was issued to inventor Samuel Hopkins for a potash process. Since that time more than six million patents have been issued by the USPTO. Last year alone another 161,000 patents and 104,000 trademarks were processed.

There was a popular rumor awhile back that just before the dawn of the 20th century it was recommended that the Patent Office close because everything that could possibly be invented had already been invented! However some sleuthing turns up that there is no real truth to the rumor. It seems that Patent Office Commissioner, Henry Ellsworth, reported to Congress: "The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end." But within his greater context, it was obvious that he expected the Patent Office to be necessary forever.

In 1449, King Henry VI commissioned John of Utynam to live in England and produce a particular kind of colored glass for stained glass windows fancied by the king. To encourage productivity, King Henry decreed that none of his subjects could use the technique for a term of twenty years without the King's explicit consent. This may be the earliest concept of a patent on record.

I always wished I could think up something that could be patented. My father once developed a device for transferring propane from large to small containers but didn't patent it. Somebody else took his idea and did patent it, however, and probably made millions that my family didn't make. So if you come up with something unique that works, you might seriously think about getting it patented before introducing it to the rest of your world.

And for today's history lesson. . . .

On this day in history, July 31,1790, the first U.S. patent was issued to inventor Samuel Hopkins for a potash process. Since that time more than six million patents have been issued by the USPTO. Last year alone another 161,000 patents and 104,000 trademarks were processed.

There was a popular rumor awhile back that just before the dawn of the 20th century it was recommended that the Patent Office close because everything that could possibly be invented had already been invented! However some sleuthing turns up that there is no real truth to the rumor. It seems that Patent Office Commissioner, Henry Ellsworth, reported to Congress: "The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end." But within his greater context, it was obvious that he expected the Patent Office to be necessary forever.

In 1449, King Henry VI commissioned John of Utynam to live in England and produce a particular kind of colored glass for stained glass windows fancied by the king. To encourage productivity, King Henry decreed that none of his subjects could use the technique for a term of twenty years without the King's explicit consent. This may be the earliest concept of a patent on record.

I always wished I could think up something that could be patented. My father once developed a device for transferring propane from large to small containers but didn't patent it. Somebody else took his idea and did patent it, however, and probably made millions that my family didn't make. So if you come up with something unique that works, you might seriously think about getting it patented before introducing it to the rest of your world.
Back about 30 years ago, there were commercials for inventors patent services. Come up with an idea and these folks were supposed to shepherd you through the process of developing a prototype, securing investors and the patent rights.

I had thought of a Christmas tree stand that would be easier to attach the tree and plumb it up. It involved a band clamp (like an oil filter wrench) that went around the trunk of the Christmas tree at the base. The clamp would then slip into a bracket atop a reservoir of water. The reservoir was supported by three legs each fitted with adjustment screws, just like surveyor's equipment atop a tripod.

So, I called the inventor's hotline and got a package of information in the mail. As it turns out, all I had to do was supply the inventor's assistance folks with schematic drawings of my new and improved Christmas tree stand and a check for $5,000 to develop a prototype. $5,000!!! I never thought that if my invention went to market I'd make anything like $5,000. I did not want to get rich by inventing the better Christmas tree stand. I just wanted to be able to walk through a K-Mart and say "I invented that!"

Now, a useful tip on preparing hot dogs. As the wieners are about to come off a griddle or grill, put the bun on them, cut side of the bun down. Take the time to get the mustard and onions and 'coney island' sauce. The griddle or gill will toast the open side of the bun to a nice crispy golden brown.

I just heard the news that there will be a recall of one of the State Quarters distributed by the U.S. Mint. The problem is with the West Virginia quarter.

The design was submitted by under graduate Art students at WVU. Their design tends to jamb in vending machines, parking meters and the odd public telephones still in service. The West Virginia design did not conform to design standards for size and shape.

Two dimes and a nickel duct taped together turns out to be a poor design, yet oddly appropriate, for the West Virginia quarter.:D

All Hebrew National hotdogs start out life about seven miles from where I sit right now. Oldest daughter worked on the packaging line there years ago during high school.

Well, you can go home again. Had a great week. Don't know if or when I'll ever get back to Kalamazoo again now that my mother is moving to Florida, but it was great to go stay at the house one last time.

One thing that's funny is how much bigger I remember everything being from when I was a kid to seeing them now. I saw the house I lived in from when I was 2 to 13. The house and yard have shrunk, the neighbors moved their houses closer than they were. Very odd...

Well, you can go home again. Had a great week. Don't know if or when I'll ever get back to Kalamazoo again now that my mother is moving to Florida, but it was great to go stay at the house one last time.

One thing that's funny is how much bigger I remember everything being from when I was a kid to seeing them now. I saw the house I lived in from when I was 2 to 13. The house and yard have shrunk, the neighbors moved their houses closer than they were. Very odd...

I can relate to that. I remember my grandmother's house in East Texas as this huge mansion--it was larger than the average home then as she took in boarders--but later it probably had little more square footage than our current modest home. Hombre relates how high his childhood home on the farm was--he and his sister could duck and run under the floors at top speed--but going back as an adult he was amazed at how small the house really was and how little space there was between the floor and the ground.

I can relate to that. I remember my grandmother's house in East Texas as this huge mansion--it was larger than the average home then as she took in boarders--but later it probably had little more square footage than our current modest home. Hombre relates how high his childhood home on the farm was--he and his sister could duck and run under the floors at top speed--but going back as an adult he was amazed at how small the house really was and how little space there was between the floor and the ground.
Mom and Pop stored Christmas decorations in the attic of the Big House. The attic access was in my bedroom, and the attic became my personal play space/fort/lair and hangout.

Once, my cousins Beth and Amy were over for a visit. I showed them the little door (barely two and a half feet tall by a foot and a half wide) that lead to the attic. Once they had crawled in, they both encountered a plastic toy soldier that was illuminated from within by means of a 25 watt light bulb. They were amazed by that toy soldier.

That Christmas, the toy soldier took its rightful place in the living room. It stood nearly three feet high, but it was imposing enough to make quite the impression on my cousins.

Three years ago, after Pop passed, the toy soldier was brought down and offered up in Mom's yard sale as she decided to clear out of the Big House and take a smaller place. Amy showed up at the yard sale and commented on the toy soldier. "It's so small! I always thought that thing was six feet high!" she said in amazement.

It's all relative. Mom was big when I sought refuge behind her skirts. Now, I tower over her by better than a foot.

On the funeral arrangements, I want to be cremated and shot into space, but that's pretty expensive.

On the chili dogs, have you guys tried Carroll Shelby's chili? It's in little brown bags near the gravy display or by the soups at your local grocery. It is YUMMY!

Ah...I was at my given location from 9-6 Tuesday and Wednesday. No honk from a car I didn't recognize. :mad:

:lol:

Ah...I was at my given location from 9-6 Tuesday and Wednesday. No honk from a car I didn't recognize. :mad:

:lol:

Yeah, sorry. There was a truck fire in the tunnel between Virginia and West Virginia on 77 that held us up for 5 hours. So we weren't there until late. Sorry, I flashed the lights but I didn't honk in case the kids were sleeping. So get this, a gasoline truck was also carrying cardboard boxes. Someone didn't think that one through....

http://myfox8.com/2014/07/25/fire-shuts-i-77-tunnel-in-virginia/comment-page-1/

The fire was actually Friday, but there was still massive delays Saturday because of cleanup work. We didn't know that until we were deep in it.

Last edited:
All Hebrew National hotdogs start out life about seven miles from where I sit right now. Oldest daughter worked on the packaging line there years ago during high school.

Did she get sick of smelling them? My sis lived in Hershey Pennsylvania and people get sick of smelling chocolate all over the place. :D

On the funeral arrangements, I want to be cremated and shot into space, but that's pretty expensive.

On the chili dogs, have you guys tried Carroll Shelby's chili? It's in little brown bags near the gravy display or by the soups at your local grocery. It is YUMMY!

I like his cars. Never considered he would do hot dog chili as well.

Person No. 2:

coffee-hotties-9.jpg

Ummmmm, honey.....:)

Forum List

Back