USMB Coffee Shop IV

View attachment 625889
1649192772488.png
It took a minute or two but I made out ten. There is a leopard in this pic can you all see it? it took some study for me.

Went by and swiped some what I presume are ceramic bricks from an old factory being demo'd. Well technically they are placing them on the side of the road for people to get so it isn't swiping. It just sounds cooler to say I swiped them. They are dated 1912. Definitely don't feel like clay bricks.

Went by and swiped some what I presume are ceramic bricks from an old factory being demo'd. Well technically they are placing them on the side of the road for people to get so it isn't swiping. It just sounds cooler to say I swiped them. They are dated 1912. Definitely don't feel like clay bricks.
Reminds me when I was a kid growing up in southeastern New Mexico. Very sandy soil in that part of the state and therefore great for growing peanuts and watermelon. The watermelon farmers used to plant a row or two near the country road for the kids to 'steal' on the condition they ate what they 'stole'. It was great fun especially when we were spotted doing the 'stealing' on a bright moonlit night and the farmer would come out pretending to be mad and brandishing what was likely a fake HUGE shotgun that he never fired. Back then the corn farmers also planted a row or two near the road with the understanding that townsfolk could come out and harvest enough roasting ears for a meal or two. I don't think anybody every abused that privilege. Times were different then.

It took a minute or two but I made out ten. There is a leopard in this pic can you all see it? it took some study for me.
Still haven't found the 10th face and will probably kick myself when I see it--you can never unsee these things once you see them. I did see the leopard fairly quickly.

Reminds me when I was a kid growing up in southeastern New Mexico. Very sandy soil in that part of the state and therefore great for growing peanuts and watermelon. The watermelon farmers used to plant a row or two near the country road for the kids to 'steal' on the condition they ate what they 'stole'. It was great fun especially when we were spotted doing the 'stealing' on a bright moonlit night and the farmer would come out pretending to be mad and brandishing what was likely a fake HUGE shotgun that he never fired. Back then the corn farmers also planted a row or two near the road with the understanding that townsfolk could come out and harvest enough roasting ears for a meal or two. I don't think anybody every abused that privilege. Times were different then.

The factory closed a long time ago. It was being disassembled before the recession brick and beam by brick and beam to be resold as reclaimed materials. They hauled butt when the recession happened and left a couple buildings untouched. They are now being demo'd by new owners. They have no interest in the materials. They are grinding everything up to be repurposed as aggregate. I assume that they are doing this with the intent of taking a wrecking ball to whatever is left in the near future (as there is a big wrecking ball parked between the buildings) so it is a PR thing for the community . I am going to try to get some more tomorrow. They are supposed to be doing it all week so they should have a fresh batch considering how picked over it was on day 1.

The factory closed a long time ago. It was being disassembled before the recession brick and beam by brick and beam to be resold as reclaimed materials. They hauled butt when the recession happened and left a couple buildings untouched. They are now being demo'd by new owners. They have no interest in the materials. They are grinding everything up to be repurposed as aggregate. I assume that they are doing this with the intent of taking a wrecking ball to whatever is left in the near future (as there is a big wrecking ball parked between the buildings) so it is a PR thing for the community . I am going to try to get some more tomorrow. They are supposed to be doing it all week so they should have a fresh batch considering how picked over it was on day 1.
Depending on what you intend to do with them, if you can get enough, it could be really special. We have friends & kin who have salvaged wood, brick and such from old stockyards, mills, etc. and used it to build rustic picture frames, fences, retaining walls and all sorts of things that look really cool. Especially if they can salvage something authenticating the history.

Depending on what you intend to do with them, if you can get enough, it could be really special. We have friends & kin who have salvaged wood, brick and such from old stockyards, mills, etc. and used it to build rustic picture frames, fences, retaining walls and all sorts of things that look really cool. Especially if they can salvage something authenticating the history.

I am just going to give most of them away and keep one for myself. Nothing like free piece of history Christmas present to hand out ;)

Now if they were just giving all the plain old bricks you want, I would be making round trips with the truck. I am fond of bricks in the landscaping. I am not even particular about them being intact. I like to toss broken bricks randomly in shady areas and let moss or lichens grow on them just to give a bed an aged feel.

Bricks for free is cool. I had to buy some bricks to put in my entrance in the building that never got quite finished.
This morning I got up at 3 am and got to bed last night around 11, so not enough sleep. I've been working harder than ever at learning Spanish at Duolingo, and have been lagging behind for a few weeks. Guess I better get some of that sleep aid that's been advertised on tv by former Governor of somewhere, Huckabee. lol
Sometimes I forget everything I learned the day before, but today things went okay, but I'm so sleepy now, I just came for a sip or two of coffee and will try to take a half hour nap so I can get something done today. Hugs to everybody. :huddle:

Bricks for free is cool. I had to buy some bricks to put in my entrance in the building that never got quite finished.
This morning I got up at 3 am and got to bed last night around 11, so not enough sleep. I've been working harder than ever at learning Spanish at Duolingo, and have been lagging behind for a few weeks. Guess I better get some of that sleep aid that's been advertised on tv by former Governor of somewhere, Huckabee. lol
Sometimes I forget everything I learned the day before, but today things went okay, but I'm so sleepy now, I just came for a sip or two of coffee and will try to take a half hour nap so I can get something done today. Hugs to everybody. :huddle:
I used to take 2 extra strength acetaminophen PM ((generic Tylenol PM) plus a 5 or 10mg melatonin when I went to bed, but was not getting the result I wanted. So lately, I am taking them before I go to bed and then play on the computer or read or something for a half hour to an hour until I am so sleepy I can't see what I'm doing any more. I then go to bed, fall asleep immediately, and don't wake up as much during the night. What makes the difference? No idea and it might not work for everybody.

I looked up Relaxium Sleep on Amazon--you can see the ingredients there--and they are very different and I didn't see anything alarming except it contains 5-HTP that is known to have some really unpleasant side effects for some & shouldn't be taken with some other meds. No indication the company is registered with Better Business Bureau or that it is FDA approved and it doesn't get as good a rating on Amazon or anywhere else as some other sleep aids. My primary doctor wasn't sold on it when I asked--she is leery of any med or supplement like that with no controls or oversight. And Relaxium Sleep costs about $1/night to take while Acetaminopen PM plus Melatonin costs about 10 cents a night. But hey, whatever works?

Last edited:
I used to take 2 extra strength acetaminophen PM ((generic Tylenol PM) plus a 5 or 10mg melatonin when I went to bed, but was not getting the result I wanted. So lately, I am taking them before I go to bed and then play on the computer or read or something for a half hour to an hour until I am so sleepy I can't see what I'm doing any more. I then go to bed, fall asleep immediately, and don't wake up as much during the night. What makes the difference? No idea and it might not work for everybody.

I looked up Relaxium Sleep on Amazon--you can see the ingredients there--and they are very different and I didn't see anything alarming except it contains 5-HTP that is known to have some really unpleasant side effects for some & shouldn't be taken with some other meds. No indication the company is registered with Better Business Bureau or that it is FDA approved and it doesn't get as good a rating on Amazon or anywhere else as some other sleep aids. My primary doctor wasn't sold on it when I asked--she is leery of any med or supplement like that with no controls or oversight. And Relaxium Sleep costs about $1/night to take while Acetaminopen PM plus Melatonin costs about 10 cents a night. But hey, whatever works?
I haven't fixed the problem yet, but I woke up around 5 this morning which is waaaaaaaaaay better than 3am after going to bed at 2. And I'm so allergic to acetaminophen. And I think I made myself leave the tv at 8pm last night. I'm sooooooo bored with the meanie war on the other side of the pond because the images make me cry. :crying:

I haven't fixed the problem yet, but I woke up around 5 this morning which is waaaaaaaaaay better than 3am after going to bed at 2. And I'm so allergic to acetaminophen. And I think I made myself leave the tv at 8pm last night. I'm sooooooo bored with the meanie war on the other side of the pond because the images make me cry. :crying:
Ah, then of course you need to check out other remedies. I would be in a terrible fix if I couldn't take acetaminophen because I can't take any of the nsaids and I don't want to take narcotics on a regular basis.

I have been back on the Bean for about the last 6 months... Imagine that, being a dues paying member of the USMB Coffee Shop IV, for the last 5.5 years and not even drinking coffee... I like coffee, but it's almost a social thing... It's nice to share a cup with a _______... (insert politically correct word of the day)

1649362269049.png

I have been back on the Bean for about the last 6 months... Imagine that, being a dues paying member of the USMB Coffee Shop IV, for the last 5.5 years and not even drinking coffee... I like coffee, but it's almost a social thing... It's nice to share a cup with a _______... (insert politically correct word of the day)

View attachment 627463

I accept that some really don't care for coffee or perhaps for religious or health or other reasons don't drink it. But I so enjoy my coffee, especially in the morning, I can't imagine giving it up so I hope I never have to. As for politically correct word of the day :) I accept any word that is inclusive of all which would include people, friends, or even the old-fashioned inclusive mankind, brethren, guys, etc.

I've finally fallen off the deep end, gone crazy......... I sold a bunch of things I didn't need and bought me a used motorcycle. Ever since Yamaha first introduced the V-Star line I've always wanted one. It's been decades since I last rode a bike so now I have to relearn so to speak, of course you never forget how to ride a bike........ Cliche added just make everyone groan....... :)

Picked up a fully loaded Yamaha V-Star 950 XVS95 Tourer. The bike is huge like the larger motored ones (1300ccs and up) but is comparatively light and the engines on these are virtually bullet-proof.

VStar950 1.jpg

VStar950 2.jpg

Now I'll have something other than my big Dodge Ram to scoot around on. The shop owner delivered it to the house today and I had to finish making room in the garage for it. The modular helmet I ordered is scheduled to be delivered Saturday.

71Gw+WrCIcL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I want to be seen..........

And we want you to be seen...

Please watch out for the crazy ones...

Be safe my cyber phriend...
Yup. Even in my truck I still stay extremely alert. If you ride a bike that way you develop almost a sixth sense, you can tell what someone is going to do before they do it. Besides most of my in town riding will be running short errands or getting to and from one of the highways.
I know that Fox and a few others typically don't venture outside of the CS so I figured I'd repost it here for them to see. Gotta show off my toys....... :)

Forum List

Back