USMB Coffee Shop IV

Well Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen found a quaint little story that the young man that is Editor of the Newspaper in the little town I sometimes call my home... Hope at least some of you enjoy...

LAST MINUTE MUSINGS: Rosetta Bible helps decipher family history​

Monday, March 28, 2022
By JARED JERNAGAN, Editor
3740402-M.jpg

Growing up as I did, roaming the rooms of my hometown newspaper office, I suppose I picked up on things that other kids didn’t.
I remember the ins and outs of a fire that destroyed much of downtown Williamsport when I was seven, the outcomes of court cases from around the same time and a ton of local history culled from the bound volumes in the back room.
One other thing I remember is that Review Republican Publisher Mary Ann Akers (a card-carrying Democrat, ironically) wrote a couple of different columns, depending on the week, under the alternate titles of “Just Between Us” and “Just Happen to Have.” I suppose we can file this one under the latter, though it is a bit more personal than some photo or artifact of a random resident dropped by the paper.
3740403-L.jpg

For what I hold in my hand is a piece of my wife’s family history — the much-coveted family Bible, in fact.
But here’s the thing: This family Bible hasn’t been in family hands for quite some time, upward of 70 years if my amateur sleuthing skills are worth anything.
Still, it did spark some enlightening conversations with one of the two remaining living people whose names are logged in the pages of the family register.
It’s a sort of Rosetta Stone, if you will. But that will make more sense in a minute.
It started off almost two weeks ago with an email that opened, “Yes, this may be the weirdest email you receive today.”
Buckle up then. I love weird.
And it was weird. It was from Lora Scott, whom I know chiefly for her role on the Putnam County Board of Zoning Appeals but who was also a North Putnam schoolmate of my late father-in-law Scot Evens.
So Lora knows the family and a bit of its history. In the few sentences of her weird email she told me that while browsing Putnam County Chatter, she had learned that the Etcheson family Bible was for sale on Etsy.
Now, Etcheson is the maiden name of family matriarch Thursa Evens, whom I’ve come to call Grandma and whom my children affectionately know as Great-Gram.
Many of you know her in other capacities — longtime DePauw employee, former Almost Home pastry chef, wife of late North Putnam teacher/administrator Norman and probably the most loyal volunteer the town of Bainbridge has ever known.
So, I clicked on the link and, sure enough, there were some familiar names, Thursa and her brothers Warren (the family called him Tinker), Kenny and Gerald, as well as Raymond and Rosetta, my wife’s great-grandparents whom she never met.
3740405-B.jpg

Based on the inscription near the front, this Bible belonged to the late Rosetta Etcheson.
Of course, we had to purchase the Bible.
At this point, many thanks are due to Kim Salsman, who not only sold me the Bible but, being based right here in Greencastle, was willing to meet me at Kroger one day last week to make the exchange.
She couldn’t really share much insight, saying she had picked the tome up at a thrift shop. It was a nice conversation, though.
Doing a bit of investigating myself, I came to the realization that the Bible may have originally been in family hands for a relatively short period of time, only about a decade in fact.
Though Raymond and Rosetta were married in 1918, the Bible was actually printed in 1941 in Glasgow, Scotland, of all places.
And dates of milestones were meticulously scrawled in the family register, right up until 1951. For Raymond’s death on April 2, 1951 is recorded, but nothing later. Not Gerald’s marriage nor Rosetta’s death.
3740406-B.jpg

“We’ll get an answer when Grandma sees it,” I thought.
Well, maybe not, but we got a whole lot more.
So, Nicole and I took Thursa out for dinner at the Putnam Inn last Friday. After we had ordered our food, I got the Bible out and set it before her, referring to it only as “a piece of history I think you’ll enjoy.”
When she opened it to the first page and saw her mother’s name written at the top, she snapped it back closed.
“Where did you get this?” she asked, a curious smile creeping onto her face.
3740404-B.jpg

So I told her the story, peppering it with questions.
“Did someone in the family lose or get rid of it?”
“I really don’t know.”
“It was printed in the UK during the war, so did one of your older brothers perhaps buy it over there?”
“No, they were in the Pacific.”
If you’re in this line of work long, you learn it’s often best to sit back and not get in the way of the story, so that’s what I did next, of course putting the Bible itself away when my country fried steak arrived.
Rosetta Evans, we learned, grew up in Illinois. Note the difference in spelling from what became her daughter’s married name.
She was the youngest of 11 children with an older brother who moved to the Bainbridge area, took a wife and had children. When his wife passed away, Rosetta spent a summer during high school on the Bainbridge farm, helping her brother care for the little ones.
While in our fair county, she caught the eye of one Raymond Etcheson, a Sunday school superintendent three-and-a-half years her senior.
Rosetta returned the next summer, and eventually did not go back to Illinois, much to the chagrin of a native girl who was quite smitten with young Mr. Etcheson.
Raymond and Rosetta were married on Jan. 25, 1918, just weeks after Raymond had buried his mother and days before he shipped out for World War I.
He returned from Europe with discharge papers identifying his occupation as hardware management, so that’s the business he went into, opening a store on Main Street in his hometown. The building still stands. Though it was once the hardware store and Masonic lodge, it now houses apartments.
The hardware business was quite good to the Etchesons, as Thursa described the home of her youth as one of the nicest in town, with four bedrooms upstairs and running water. (This was the 1930s in rural Indiana, after all.)
Raymond eventually got out of the hardware business, though, later buying land near Cloverdale and trying his hand at farming. After a few years of that, though, Rosetta was off to California with Gerald, the only child still at home, to enroll him in Hoover High School in San Diego.
Raymond followed after the crops were in, and the couple tried to operate a restaurant. This venture failed within the year and the family was back in Putnam County.
Raymond’s next act, his final act as it turned out, was the construction of a new home on Waterworks Hill, just west of what was then State Road 43 (now U.S. 231).
While there were finishing touches to put on the home when Raymond died on April 2, 1951, Thursa said it was livable, so that’s exactly where Rosetta lived for the time being.
The building still stands on Waterworks Hill, and many of you likely know it as the one-time home of Kersey Music/Greencastle Music Center.
The remaining 20 or so years of Rosetta’s life were frequently in motion. Not old enough for Social Security, she got a job as the hostess at the DePauw Union tea room, but that didn’t pay the bills. She wound up living with Thursa, Norman and their young family until health concerns laid her low.
She recovered, though, and eventually made her way to Indianapolis, where she took a job, but found herself caring for a number of the aging fellow residents of her apartment building.
And so, in her 50s, she decided she wanted to become a practical nurse. In the mid-1950s, Indiana law did not allow a woman her age to become a nurse. However, opportunity knocked — where else? — in California.
Eldest son Tinker, now established as an economics professor at the University of Washington, had connections in Southern California. So, Rosetta ventured back to the Sunshine State, became a nurse, and lived many more happy years in San Diego, not only nursing but also serving as the pianist/organist for her church.
Eventually her health did fail, and she had to return to Indiana. Her fellow church members got her a plane ticket so that Thursa only had to pick her up from the airport. They even crated up all her belongings and shipped them back to Indiana as well.
Perhaps it was then — either the move to or from California — that the Bible lost its way. It does appear that it happened on this end of the trek, as I purchased it from right here in Greencastle, not San Diego or parts unknown along the way.
In the end, I suppose it’s not the story of this Bible that I was really concerned with, but the people it represents. As I said earlier, there are only two people listed in that family history who are still living. The other, Kenny, is 96 and can’t hear well enough to have shared the kind of stories Thursa did.
As for her, she’s 94, still a good storyteller and can hear well enough, with a hearing aid at least.
But we’re not all that fortunate. My mom died at 65. My dad was 78, but had lost most of his memories to dementia years earlier. My grandparents are likewise departed.
I never asked them to tell their stories but wish I had.
All I’m saying to you is, if you want to know where you came from, ask while you still have time. Sit them down, jog their memories, ask a question or two and then shut up. Let them tell their stories and stay the heck out of the way.
Record it on audio or video. Write it down. Just don’t lose it.
You’ll have a lot of regrets if you do.
3740407-B.jpg

COMMENTS
View 5 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
    Was the Country Fried Steak good?
    You paint a great picture...
    -- Posted by ridgerunner54 on Tue, Mar 29, 2022, at 4:25 AM
    !
    Report comment to editor
  • I am so happy the Bible found it's way to your family. It breaks my heart when I see family Bibles and old photographs at antique stores and flea markets. So much family history lost.
    -- Posted by dmcdermit1 on Tue, Mar 29, 2022, at 8:21 AM
    !
    Report comment to editor
  • Well done, Jared! You have captured the Etcheson story and given us a nudge to preserve our own personal histories. The Etcheson Bible, on its serendipitous journey, is a tie that binds the generations. I am so pleased that Thursa can celebrate her family’s story with her descendants. The Etcheson Family Bible is now where it belongs—in Thursa’s hands.
    I am elated and awed that I was able to play a role in the Bible’s serendipitous route home.
    -- Posted by LJScott on Tue, Mar 29, 2022, at 10:41 AM
    !
    Report comment to editor
  • One very fantastic article Jared.
    -- Posted by Nit on Tue, Mar 29, 2022, at 7:03 PM
    !
    Report comment to editor
  • Wow!! Thanks for sharing this amazing journey with us. We are blessed with great writers/editors at our local paper. Such a great story with all the local connections. What a blessing that you were able to interview Thursa, learn all the history and let her reminisce. Good job of sleuthing, reporting, writing and sharing.
    -- Posted by gustave&zelma on Wed, Mar 30, 2022, at 8:33 AM
    !
    Report comment to editor

Well Boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen found a quaint little story that the young man that is Editor of the Newspaper in the little town I sometimes call my home... Hope at least some of you enjoy...

LAST MINUTE MUSINGS: Rosetta Bible helps decipher family history​

Monday, March 28, 2022
By JARED JERNAGAN, Editor
3740402-M.jpg

Growing up as I did, roaming the rooms of my hometown newspaper office, I suppose I picked up on things that other kids didn’t.
I remember the ins and outs of a fire that destroyed much of downtown Williamsport when I was seven, the outcomes of court cases from around the same time and a ton of local history culled from the bound volumes in the back room.
One other thing I remember is that Review Republican Publisher Mary Ann Akers (a card-carrying Democrat, ironically) wrote a couple of different columns, depending on the week, under the alternate titles of “Just Between Us” and “Just Happen to Have.” I suppose we can file this one under the latter, though it is a bit more personal than some photo or artifact of a random resident dropped by the paper.
3740403-L.jpg

For what I hold in my hand is a piece of my wife’s family history — the much-coveted family Bible, in fact.
But here’s the thing: This family Bible hasn’t been in family hands for quite some time, upward of 70 years if my amateur sleuthing skills are worth anything.
Still, it did spark some enlightening conversations with one of the two remaining living people whose names are logged in the pages of the family register.
It’s a sort of Rosetta Stone, if you will. But that will make more sense in a minute.
It started off almost two weeks ago with an email that opened, “Yes, this may be the weirdest email you receive today.”
Buckle up then. I love weird.
And it was weird. It was from Lora Scott, whom I know chiefly for her role on the Putnam County Board of Zoning Appeals but who was also a North Putnam schoolmate of my late father-in-law Scot Evens.
So Lora knows the family and a bit of its history. In the few sentences of her weird email she told me that while browsing Putnam County Chatter, she had learned that the Etcheson family Bible was for sale on Etsy.
Now, Etcheson is the maiden name of family matriarch Thursa Evens, whom I’ve come to call Grandma and whom my children affectionately know as Great-Gram.
Many of you know her in other capacities — longtime DePauw employee, former Almost Home pastry chef, wife of late North Putnam teacher/administrator Norman and probably the most loyal volunteer the town of Bainbridge has ever known.
So, I clicked on the link and, sure enough, there were some familiar names, Thursa and her brothers Warren (the family called him Tinker), Kenny and Gerald, as well as Raymond and Rosetta, my wife’s great-grandparents whom she never met.
3740405-B.jpg

Based on the inscription near the front, this Bible belonged to the late Rosetta Etcheson.
Of course, we had to purchase the Bible.
At this point, many thanks are due to Kim Salsman, who not only sold me the Bible but, being based right here in Greencastle, was willing to meet me at Kroger one day last week to make the exchange.
She couldn’t really share much insight, saying she had picked the tome up at a thrift shop. It was a nice conversation, though.
Doing a bit of investigating myself, I came to the realization that the Bible may have originally been in family hands for a relatively short period of time, only about a decade in fact.
Though Raymond and Rosetta were married in 1918, the Bible was actually printed in 1941 in Glasgow, Scotland, of all places.
And dates of milestones were meticulously scrawled in the family register, right up until 1951. For Raymond’s death on April 2, 1951 is recorded, but nothing later. Not Gerald’s marriage nor Rosetta’s death.
3740406-B.jpg

“We’ll get an answer when Grandma sees it,” I thought.
Well, maybe not, but we got a whole lot more.
So, Nicole and I took Thursa out for dinner at the Putnam Inn last Friday. After we had ordered our food, I got the Bible out and set it before her, referring to it only as “a piece of history I think you’ll enjoy.”
When she opened it to the first page and saw her mother’s name written at the top, she snapped it back closed.
“Where did you get this?” she asked, a curious smile creeping onto her face.
3740404-B.jpg

So I told her the story, peppering it with questions.
“Did someone in the family lose or get rid of it?”
“I really don’t know.”
“It was printed in the UK during the war, so did one of your older brothers perhaps buy it over there?”
“No, they were in the Pacific.”
If you’re in this line of work long, you learn it’s often best to sit back and not get in the way of the story, so that’s what I did next, of course putting the Bible itself away when my country fried steak arrived.
Rosetta Evans, we learned, grew up in Illinois. Note the difference in spelling from what became her daughter’s married name.
She was the youngest of 11 children with an older brother who moved to the Bainbridge area, took a wife and had children. When his wife passed away, Rosetta spent a summer during high school on the Bainbridge farm, helping her brother care for the little ones.
While in our fair county, she caught the eye of one Raymond Etcheson, a Sunday school superintendent three-and-a-half years her senior.
Rosetta returned the next summer, and eventually did not go back to Illinois, much to the chagrin of a native girl who was quite smitten with young Mr. Etcheson.
Raymond and Rosetta were married on Jan. 25, 1918, just weeks after Raymond had buried his mother and days before he shipped out for World War I.
He returned from Europe with discharge papers identifying his occupation as hardware management, so that’s the business he went into, opening a store on Main Street in his hometown. The building still stands. Though it was once the hardware store and Masonic lodge, it now houses apartments.
The hardware business was quite good to the Etchesons, as Thursa described the home of her youth as one of the nicest in town, with four bedrooms upstairs and running water. (This was the 1930s in rural Indiana, after all.)
Raymond eventually got out of the hardware business, though, later buying land near Cloverdale and trying his hand at farming. After a few years of that, though, Rosetta was off to California with Gerald, the only child still at home, to enroll him in Hoover High School in San Diego.
Raymond followed after the crops were in, and the couple tried to operate a restaurant. This venture failed within the year and the family was back in Putnam County.
Raymond’s next act, his final act as it turned out, was the construction of a new home on Waterworks Hill, just west of what was then State Road 43 (now U.S. 231).
While there were finishing touches to put on the home when Raymond died on April 2, 1951, Thursa said it was livable, so that’s exactly where Rosetta lived for the time being.
The building still stands on Waterworks Hill, and many of you likely know it as the one-time home of Kersey Music/Greencastle Music Center.
The remaining 20 or so years of Rosetta’s life were frequently in motion. Not old enough for Social Security, she got a job as the hostess at the DePauw Union tea room, but that didn’t pay the bills. She wound up living with Thursa, Norman and their young family until health concerns laid her low.
She recovered, though, and eventually made her way to Indianapolis, where she took a job, but found herself caring for a number of the aging fellow residents of her apartment building.
And so, in her 50s, she decided she wanted to become a practical nurse. In the mid-1950s, Indiana law did not allow a woman her age to become a nurse. However, opportunity knocked — where else? — in California.
Eldest son Tinker, now established as an economics professor at the University of Washington, had connections in Southern California. So, Rosetta ventured back to the Sunshine State, became a nurse, and lived many more happy years in San Diego, not only nursing but also serving as the pianist/organist for her church.
Eventually her health did fail, and she had to return to Indiana. Her fellow church members got her a plane ticket so that Thursa only had to pick her up from the airport. They even crated up all her belongings and shipped them back to Indiana as well.
Perhaps it was then — either the move to or from California — that the Bible lost its way. It does appear that it happened on this end of the trek, as I purchased it from right here in Greencastle, not San Diego or parts unknown along the way.
In the end, I suppose it’s not the story of this Bible that I was really concerned with, but the people it represents. As I said earlier, there are only two people listed in that family history who are still living. The other, Kenny, is 96 and can’t hear well enough to have shared the kind of stories Thursa did.
As for her, she’s 94, still a good storyteller and can hear well enough, with a hearing aid at least.
But we’re not all that fortunate. My mom died at 65. My dad was 78, but had lost most of his memories to dementia years earlier. My grandparents are likewise departed.
I never asked them to tell their stories but wish I had.
All I’m saying to you is, if you want to know where you came from, ask while you still have time. Sit them down, jog their memories, ask a question or two and then shut up. Let them tell their stories and stay the heck out of the way.
Record it on audio or video. Write it down. Just don’t lose it.
You’ll have a lot of regrets if you do.
3740407-B.jpg

COMMENTS
View 5 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
    Was the Country Fried Steak good?
    You paint a great picture...
    -- Posted by ridgerunner54 on Tue, Mar 29, 2022, at 4:25 AM
    !
    Report comment to editor
  • I am so happy the Bible found it's way to your family. It breaks my heart when I see family Bibles and old photographs at antique stores and flea markets. So much family history lost.
    -- Posted by dmcdermit1 on Tue, Mar 29, 2022, at 8:21 AM
    !
    Report comment to editor
  • Well done, Jared! You have captured the Etcheson story and given us a nudge to preserve our own personal histories. The Etcheson Bible, on its serendipitous journey, is a tie that binds the generations. I am so pleased that Thursa can celebrate her family’s story with her descendants. The Etcheson Family Bible is now where it belongs—in Thursa’s hands.
    I am elated and awed that I was able to play a role in the Bible’s serendipitous route home.
    -- Posted by LJScott on Tue, Mar 29, 2022, at 10:41 AM
    !
    Report comment to editor
  • One very fantastic article Jared.
    -- Posted by Nit on Tue, Mar 29, 2022, at 7:03 PM
    !
    Report comment to editor
  • Wow!! Thanks for sharing this amazing journey with us. We are blessed with great writers/editors at our local paper. Such a great story with all the local connections. What a blessing that you were able to interview Thursa, learn all the history and let her reminisce. Good job of sleuthing, reporting, writing and sharing.
    -- Posted by gustave&zelma on Wed, Mar 30, 2022, at 8:33 AM
    !
    Report comment to editor
What a wonderful anthology. As a dedicated historian of sorts and also interested in family genealogy, this really speaks to me. So often now that they're gone, Hombre and I have so often wished we had asked this or that parent about something. So he took some time to write down a lot of his personal history and what the world was like for us at different stages of our lives. I am doing the same. At some time our granddaughter, nieces and nephews might be glad to have that information. It is a worthy undertaking.

It was a little cool today. The roofers came today to save the house. After Bill passed, a couple of years later, the house was stricken by 5 mini-tornados that scared me, took most of the neighbor's roof off, and ruined every screen on the upstairs west front of the house. It also did damage to the roof, which at first wasn't very noticeable. Every time it rained, a few inches would be discovered a week or so later that showed a water spot. Over the years, the spots turned to little tears in the ceiling, and then it spread to the adjacent room and around the area of the chimney on the other side of the house. It finally pushed down fluff from insulation in the wash room a couple of weeks ago, and finally I answered an ad online that said they could find well-respected roofers to anyone in the area in need. I forgot about checking a request for a call, and a day later, I got one from a reasonably close roofer about 30 miles from here, and his crew showed up today ready to work. It will be nice to have the house shaped up again, and then, I'll address the screens that were pulled out. by strong winds and raised the cost of airconditioning in warm weather when you can't open the window without inviting 6-legged insects that buzz and bite indoors.

The roses are planted, and the garden is so overgrown with weeds, I can't even count them. It was freeze, rain, shine, freeze, rain, shine, and freeze rain shine for weeks on end. My plot turns to jelly, so you can't even plow it with the Kubota until it's late in the season some years. Then the peppers don't put out because it has to have some cool to produce blooms to make peppers. Can't seem to win. Oh, well. I sure made the seed people rich for the small good it does this place. And prices for plants are through the roof this year. If the price of fresh produce weren't so steep, it makes me wonder if I'd be better off to just let the produce departments at the local stores profit. *sigh* /end complaints above my pay grade. :heehee:

Hope anyone who's growing stuff outside or in a greenhouse will post their pictures here. or here: Greenhouse Dreams
Okay, here, too: Hey, if you happen to see the most beautiful flowers in the world, share!

Last edited:
This would have been Bill's 80th birthday today. Just thinking about him makes me very, very happy inside. That rascal! He intentionally made sure I would have happy memories after he left the planet for wings above. So for me, this is a day of celebration. And I have a head full of happy memories on account of his kindness to all, his way of making everyone in the room happy, whether it was just me or all 500 or more of the people he worked with at a Christmas party. EVERYBODY laughed, no matter the weather. How many days were in 44 years? Dunno, but each day, he made sure I laughed before he left for work. And I know he's up there cheering up God's angels who may not be able to laugh except for a being with his spirit that God generously sent my way after I prayed for God's help in raising 2 children from an earlier marriage totally broken by alcohol in 5 short years. God does answer prayers, guys. God gave me a lot more than I asked for. Totally 44 years of happiness, and memories that bring no sorrow whatever, only a miraculous joyfulness. Never give up on God. He is totally good. Just ask. You will receive.

Last edited:
This would have been Bill's 80th birthday today. Just thinking about him makes me very, very happy inside. That rascal! He intentionally made sure I would have happy memories after he left the planet for wings above. So for me, this is a day of celebration. And I have a head full of happy memories on account of his kindness to all, his way of making everyone in the room happy, whether it was just me or all 500 or more of the people he worked with at a Christmas party. EVERYBODY laughed, no matter the weather. How many days were in 44 years? Dunno, but each day, he made sure I laughed before he left for work. And I know he's up there cheering up God's angels who may not be able to laugh except for a being with his spirit that God generously sent my way after I prayed for God's help in raising 2 children from an earlier marriage totally broken by alcohol in 5 short years. God does answer prayers, guys. God gave me a lot more than I asked for. Totally 44 years of happiness, and memories that bring no sorrow whatever, only a miraculous joyfulness. Never give up on God. He is totally good. Just ask. You will receive.
I posted on Facebook today that today is my big sister's birthday--she passed last August. It felt strange not to take her home baked cookies and/or sing happy birthday to her in person or on the phone. Covid restrictions made regular contact very difficult for so many months. We also buried my mother on this day 39 years ago. March 31, 1909, was the day construction on the Titanic began.

Good night, afternoon, morning wherever you are darlinks. I really do love you guys. May the Coffee Shop always be a virtual family for those who need or enjoy one here. Meanwhile we pray or send positive vibes or keep vigil for:

Harper, the inspiration for the vigil list.
Kat for wellness
JustAnotherNut for wellness
Nosmo King for healing and health & wholeness.
Beautress for continued recovery & wholeness.
Ringel - for continued healing and wellness.
Beautress's friend for comfort/healing.
Mindful's daughter for continued wellness.
Big Black Dog for the very best treatment and outcome for the rest of his days.
SFC Ollie for health and wellness.
Hombre for successful rehab and continued progress with his new hip.
007 for relief from back pain.
Dragonlady for impending knee surgery.

And we keep the light on so others who have been away can find their way back and we hope they will.

Sometimes it does the soul good just to be quiet and enjoy the beauty.
1648791596382.png

It was a little cool today. The roofers came today to save the house. After Bill passed, a couple of years later, the house was stricken by 5 mini-tornados that scared me, took most of the neighbor's roof off, and ruined every screen on the upstairs west front of the house. It also did damage to the roof, which at first wasn't very noticeable. Every time it rained, a few inches would be discovered a week or so later that showed a water spot. Over the years, the spots turned to little tears in the ceiling, and then it spread to the adjacent room and around the area of the chimney on the other side of the house. It finally pushed down fluff from insulation in the wash room a couple of weeks ago, and finally I answered an ad online that said they could find well-respected roofers to anyone in the area in need. I forgot about checking a request for a call, and a day later, I got one from a reasonably close roofer about 30 miles from here, and his crew showed up today ready to work. It will be nice to have the house shaped up again, and then, I'll address the screens that were pulled out. by strong winds and raised the cost of airconditioning in warm weather when you can't open the window without inviting 6-legged insects that buzz and bite indoors.

The roses are planted, and the garden is so overgrown with weeds, I can't even count them. It was freeze, rain, shine, freeze, rain, shine, and freeze rain shine for weeks on end. My plot turns to jelly, so you can't even plow it with the Kubota until it's late in the season some years. Then the peppers don't put out because it has to have some cool to produce blooms to make peppers. Can't seem to win. Oh, well. I sure made the seed people rich for the small good it does this place. And prices for plants are through the roof this year. If the price of fresh produce weren't so steep, it makes me wonder if I'd be better off to just let the produce departments at the local stores profit. *sigh* /end complaints above my pay grade. :heehee:

Hope anyone who's growing stuff outside or in a greenhouse will post their pictures here. or here: Greenhouse Dreams
Okay, here, too: Hey, if you happen to see the most beautiful flowers in the world, share!
Well I'm glad your roof is getting fixed but no homeowner's insurance to repair hail damage? We never had to repair or replace a roof at our expense all the time we lived in Texas and Kansas because there was periodic hail damage and insurance to fix it. We haven't had that dubious luxury in New Mexico however and it is expensive and annoying to replace the roof and/or make the repairs.

Well I'm glad your roof is getting fixed but no homeowner's insurance to repair hail damage? We never had to repair or replace a roof at our expense all the time we lived in Texas and Kansas because there was periodic hail damage and insurance to fix it. We haven't had that dubious luxury in New Mexico however and it is expensive and annoying to replace the roof and/or make the repairs.
They did a nice job, and they stayed till dark this evening to clean up and will be back Monday to make sure it's all good. A year's cost for property damage is more than what my once-in-a-lifetime roof repair was, and it was up there. Next time we have a hurricane-following tornado set, I'll know who to call. They also repaired a dozen lights that blitzed out during the rain that got inside. So it came out a little more expensive with a pair of electricians. Thank God, my house will be well-lit again, and their work restored roof and indoor ceilings. The black mold was minimal, and they got every speck of it. They were nice people. I just feel bad because I was having leg cramps and pain while they were here, but it's getting better because they worked so hard, and went after the cleanup with determination to get rid of any mold dust that may have filtered down into carpets and floors. I've had severe allergic issues with mold for years. This oughta get me back on my feet. Bless you all. Prayers up for everyone on Foxfyre's list. And prayers up for families that lost children in the Ukraine. They went after elementary through high schools, universities, at least one orphanage, where children had no family to care for them, no one to mourn them. I'm so fond of children, this war got to me like none other including Viet Nam. War is awful, and I'd like to do something to honor the children with no families who suffer the most, and in this day with women serving, children can lose both parents who are military defenders. So prayers up for the fatherless children, those who died uncared for, and children everywhere who have parents addicted to mind-altering substances or in some way lost to complete their jobs of getting those childern to adulthood. And I bless foster parents who take children in and who love them like their own.

I know I haven't stopped by in forever, but I thought some of you might enjoy this. As some of you old timers know, I opened a bar in Foley Alabama in February of 2014, Yup we're still rocking Doc Holliday's. It was 8 years on February 2022. We survived Covid after closing for 10 weeks and another 6 weeks of early closing hours. We were able to keep our staff current on their health insurance all that time and once we were allowed to return to normal hours, we had managed to keep all but 0ne of our employees. We now own the building and are working with the city so that we can expand.
Way back when we opened, we had a brand new local band called The Jason Abel Project play our grand opening. Last night, we premiered Jason's new music video at Doc's. For your listening pleasure:

I know I haven't stopped by in forever, but I thought some of you might enjoy this. As some of you old timers know, I opened a bar in Foley Alabama in February of 2014, Yup we're still rocking Doc Holliday's. It was 8 years on February 2022. We survived Covid after closing for 10 weeks and another 6 weeks of early closing hours. We were able to keep our staff current on their health insurance all that time and once we were allowed to return to normal hours, we had managed to keep all but 0ne of our employees. We now own the building and are working with the city so that we can expand.
Way back when we opened, we had a brand new local band called The Jason Abel Project play our grand opening. Last night, we premiered Jason's new music video at Doc's. For your listening pleasure:

Ernie S. !!!!!! So happy you checked in. Glad to hear life is still good for you and I LOVE the band!

Near Luling, Texas this morning which I think is about five counties west/southwest of where Beautress lives. The blue flowers are of course bluebonnets, the state flower of Texas. And I believe the pink ones are also bluebonnets.
1649078534757.png

Last edited:

Forum List

Back