USMB Coffee Shop IV

This was taken on the beach where our shore house is. pretty wild. check out the video in the link.

Caught on Camera: Hammerhead Shark at Island Beach State Park | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Caught on Camera: Hammerhead Shark at Island Beach State Park

3-140814202946.jpeg
Would be nice to have a clear pic of the hammerhead shark. It's rare to see one. Good news is that most hammerheads are harmless to humans. In isolated cases where hammerheads have attacked humans, none of the attacks were fatal.

One way to attract the shark for a better picture would be to throw raw meat into the water. However just to play it safe, it's best to use a cage, just in case other sharks come by and engage in a feeding frenzy ... :D
I caught a 14' hammerhead right of the beach in florida.
That is some catch, Spoonman ... :thup: ... you're getting in the range of a 600 - 800 pound shark. Did you release the shark back into the water after you took several pictures? I would have stuffed it and mounted it on the wall. A 14 foot shark is quite a trophy. Hammerhead shark meat is also edible, and with a shark that size, you could fill up your freezer, and still have lots and lots of leftover.

Last edited:
looking at the calendar i see its august 14th already. i noticed on the way into work some of the Ash and sumac trees are starting to turn colors already. The nights are starting to get cold and it felt like fall in the air this morning. Where did this summer go? It seems to have gone faster than usual.

It's been an interesting summer for me. I've spent most of it as a bachelor. My wife works in the school system and has summers off. this summer she has taken advantage of that time and did a lot of traveling with friends. She spent a week at a friends summer house on the beach in North Carolina. Then we managed to squeeze a wek in at our shore house. Then she was off to vegas for a week and a half. home for the weekend to see two plays and do a mystery theater dinner. then she was back down to our shore house for a week with her friends. Back for a few more plays, then a week up in the Berkshires. This week her friends form Vegas are out staying with us. Next week she does a 3 day wine tour wine a bunch of her friends. and the last week of summer we finally get away together again. It's good that she is getting away because i have been buried at work with two special projects. I actually had to switch one weeks vacation this summer and cancel another. hopefully these nightmares will die down shortly.

But one thing for sure, it all has made for the fastest summer on record. i feel like i haven't done any of the normal summer things. haven't been fishing once. Haven't been hiking and taking my normal massive amount of pictures. Never started my bike up or got it inspected this year. I think if i've been in the pool 10 times that is it.

I wish I could say the same, we had a little shower the other evening, and the temp dropped to 75 degrees, but it didn't stay there long. The days are still very hot. I'm so looking forward to cooler weather since I haven't lost any plants this summer, but more of this hot weather and I won't be able to keep them all watered.

75 degrees!:eek::eek::eek:
How ever did you survive! It's been pleasantly in the mid-50s this week here.

The last few days we've been in the 90s. Means it's just starting to get warm.

Just saw a commercial on tv. I know what your all thinking, of course you saw the commercial save, its part of how tv works. Anyways, it says we throw away enough toilet paper tubes to fill up the Empire State Building twice.

Mind boggling isn't it? I mean what kind of person calculates the volume of discarded toilet paper tubes and realizes that it is exactly twice the volume of the Empire State Building? Then there's the whole, why would you want to fill up the Empire State Building with paper tubes? Twice?

Oh it might amuse some of the people who work in the Empire State Building the first time, but who is going to go for it twice? Then I'm wondering, how many times did the garbage truck have to show up? Where's the guy who knows the volume of the Empire State Building now, when you want to know how many garbage trucks it takes?

Okay, so just recycle already...

a winter like last would be really hard to take. it was the coldest one I can remember. long too. I was getting depressed at the end.

I didn't know you had moved into a new place. that's always fun.

I hear ya. It was bitter cold last winter. Got down to 28 one time.

"28" :lol: Vortex brought me a minus 5. Twice.

We did get sleet here that closed schools. That was the first time in 10 or 12 years. The last time Foley had snow on the ground was 1968, I believe.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Stat's aunt,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel,
Wellness for BBD,
007's Mom,
Sheila test results,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, and Becki.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Good morning, stat, I hope all is going well with you and your daughter.

Looking forward to a great day today.

We are well, thanks, off to a massive indoor pool today and tonight is arts-n-crafts night.

I am slowly moving the sleep schedule closer to her school sleep schedule, because next Wednesday she starts the second grade. Wow, where did the time go?....

I got up early to play Wolfenstein, the new order. I thought I would be able to install it and play it soon. But after an hour of loading the four disks it tells me I have got to wait four hours for it to download the updates from steam. It will be this afternoon before I can play it.

dajjal, hope you are well.

Stat's comment about a massive pool made me think about Britain's massive sea side pools along the country's coasts.

Tidal salt-water open air swimming pools

Compiled by Oliver Merrington
Waterbeach, Cambridge.

Devil's Point, PlymouthA number of British seaside resorts have tidal pools which fill up with seawater at every high-tide. When the tide goes down, the sun heats the water and makes an ideal swimming pool for children and adults, without the dangers of waves or unexpected currents. Some resorts provide life-guards, but they are usually unmanned. Tidal salt-water seaside swimming pools, by Oliver Merrington

looking at the calendar i see its august 14th already. i noticed on the way into work some of the Ash and sumac trees are starting to turn colors already. The nights are starting to get cold and it felt like fall in the air this morning. Where did this summer go? It seems to have gone faster than usual.

It's been an interesting summer for me. I've spent most of it as a bachelor. My wife works in the school system and has summers off. this summer she has taken advantage of that time and did a lot of traveling with friends. She spent a week at a friends summer house on the beach in North Carolina. Then we managed to squeeze a wek in at our shore house. Then she was off to vegas for a week and a half. home for the weekend to see two plays and do a mystery theater dinner. then she was back down to our shore house for a week with her friends. Back for a few more plays, then a week up in the Berkshires. This week her friends form Vegas are out staying with us. Next week she does a 3 day wine tour wine a bunch of her friends. and the last week of summer we finally get away together again. It's good that she is getting away because i have been buried at work with two special projects. I actually had to switch one weeks vacation this summer and cancel another. hopefully these nightmares will die down shortly.

But one thing for sure, it all has made for the fastest summer on record. i feel like i haven't done any of the normal summer things. haven't been fishing once. Haven't been hiking and taking my normal massive amount of pictures. Never started my bike up or got it inspected this year. I think if i've been in the pool 10 times that is it.

I've spent most of the summer decorating my new place. I woke up this morning and there was certainly a chill in the air. My friend and I decided to go garage saling today and it was so much fun, really nice day. We went to Chick-fil-A for lunch then I came home and incorporated the things I bought.

I know winter was bad last year, hope it isn't quite that extreme again but I really love Fall and Winter.

I left work early yesterday and went for a walk. The temperature was just 80 with a fresh cool breeze which is strange for mid August. Then I started noticing that the trees had yellowing leaves. All except for the big maples were showing signs of Fall. Last week the geese were overhead in the evening practicing their formation flying which usually only happens in the Fall too.

When I mentioned this to Mrs Te she said that we are in for a early Fall and more polar vortexes this Winter. This is what I found online;

Fall 2014: Polar Vortex to Visit Northeast; South at Risk for Tropical Hit

Polar Vortex to Return Early in the Northeast
While the fall will kick off with days of sunshine and temperatures above normal in some of the region's largest cities, including New York City and Philadelphia, the polar vortex may make its return for short, sporadic periods in September.
"The vortex could slip at times, maybe even briefly in September for the Northeast," AccuWeather Lead Long-Range Forecaster Paul Pastelok said. "There could be a significant shot of chilly air that comes across the Great Lakes region and into the interior Northeast sometime in mid- to late-September."
As conditions in northern Canada begin to set up similar to last fall, getting colder and unsettled quickly, it is likely that this pattern could become a source for colder air to make its way down at times into the United States, inducing a drop in temperatures for the interior Northeast during mid-fall.
"Temperatures will not be as extreme in November when compared to last year, but October could be an extreme month," Pastelok said.
After short-lived days of the polar vortex in September, the weather should turn a bit warmer in November as rain ramps up across areas from New York City to Boston and Portland, Maine, as well as the rest of the region.
"We will see some dry weather in the Northeast, barring any tropical systems, in September and October but in November it will get wet," Pastelok said.
Following a soaking November for Northeastern residents, El Niño will make its debut early this winter, fueling early winter snow across the area.
"December could get kind of wild due to the very active southern jet stream that is going to provide the moisture for bigger snowstorms," Pastelok said. "The Northeast could have a couple of big storms in December and early January."

Forum List

Back