USMB Coffee Shop IV

So today I'll be going into a local radio station and recording an hour long guest DJ spot. I won it in an on air auction they hold each year for a charity they call "Walk With Grace." Local businesses and people donate things to be auctioned off on air and then all the proceeds go to cancer research, and since I've lost close family and relatives to cancer, I participate. Well the radio station itself auctions off two separate hour long guest DJ spots to the highest bidder. I don't know what the other person paid but I won my guest spot with a $400 bid. I don't get out much and don't do a lot of things for fun so I figured just go for it, bid high, and that did it. I got to pick 15 songs that I want to play, but they said they had to be 50's to 80's top 40. I was really disappointed with that and asked if I could pick something else but no. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to it, I think it's going to be a hoot. We'll tape the show today, and then it'll air on Saturday night of the 23rd. It could be heard streaming from their website... WRCO.
I did postpone this yesterday with all that was going on with Ma. Didn't really feel all cheery and chipper to be doing a guest DJ spot. Looks like with Ma out of surgery and doing OK now though I can go ahead. Talked with the regular DJ and he said we can just do it same time next Wednesday.

Summer in the air? It's currently 91 here at 11:47. It will likely make 94 ahain with a "feels like" of well over 100. Today is my one day off but the wife has plans that involve me leaving the house and driving to town in my non air conditioned truck. So far, I have been skillfully avoiding the when can we leave questions.

I finally broke my loosing streak at the poker table last night. I placed 1st in the 2nd tournament after a miserable loss on a bad beat in the first.

Hey, happy campers, have a great day.

Started as a bummer when I discovered my cat managed to damage an external drive with a finished book and three articles underway on it. I don't have the articles backed up, so if my computer guy can't fix the drive I will have to send the cat to computer science school to figure it out.

According to your cat, the drive started it with a static charge.

Was getting ready to load up my truck for a trip to the landfill, hadn't done it in a couple of months, the garage was filling up....... Next door was a couple mowing the grass, empty house, owner died awhile back, they took care of my trash for $12. His uncle runs the front gate to the land fill so he'll get to dump for free...... Normal cost is $4 a yard, I had about 2 1/2 yards of trash. Now I can go back to being lazy......
Also turned the A/C on, it's warm out there! We ran it for a few hours yesterday, looks like we'll be running it most of the day today. I think this is the third or fourth time we've used it.

Hey, happy campers, have a great day.

Started as a bummer when I discovered my cat managed to damage an external drive with a finished book and three articles underway on it. I don't have the articles backed up, so if my computer guy can't fix the drive I will have to send the cat to computer science school to figure it out.

Puppy Linux, runs on ram, (won't replace your current OS) you might be able to access your HD through PL and copy the files to a thumb drive. It's worth a shot.

I followed most of that, a little unsure where you get these rams. Farmer down the road?

All I got was it was worth a shot
_chocolatecovered_pretzel_shot.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Okay for today's history lesson, on this day in history, August 14, in. . .

1848 – Following Mexico's cessation of the vast majority of the western USA, Oregon Territory is organized by act of Congress. As you can see on the map, it took in all the area that would become Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and the western edge of Wyoming and Montana. The story of how it got divided up into the various states takes a lot longer to tell.

territory.jpg

1880 - The Cologne Cathedral in Cologne, Germany was completed after 632 years of rebuilding. I'm thinking they must have picked a really bad contractor. I mean it is really beautiful and impressive but 632 years????

Cologne_Cathedral_and_Museum_Ludwig_before_it_in_Cologne,_Germany_PNr%C2%B00165.JPG

1888 - A patent for the electric meter was granted to Oliver B. Shallenberger. So we all know who we have to blame for that when we get our electric bill every month.

1893 – France became the first country to introduce motor vehicle registration. One does wonder how many motor vehicles France had in 1893.

1896 - Gold was discovered in Canada's Yukon Territory. Within the next year more than 30,000 people rushed to the area to look for gold. There are no statistics, however, on how many of them found some.

1935 – Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the Social Security Act, creating a government pension system for the retired. At the risk of getting political, it was something very very different from what it is now.

1936 - The first olympic basketball competition was held at the Olympic Games in Berlin, Germany. The U.S. defeated Canada, 19-8. They continued the competition in future games anyway.

One of my friends bought my brother's old house. It has an inground swimming pool. When my brother had the house, we spent the better half of a summer getting that pool set up after four or five years of no use at all. We scrapped and repainted it, replaced the underwater lighting, the diving board, the pump and filter, repainted the chain link fence that surrounds it and generally spent a lot of money on it.

But all those troubles got sold when my brother turned over the keys to our mutual friend.

My buddy told me that the pool just was not as clear and inviting as it should be. He went to a swimming pool supply store for answers.

"What's the pH?" asked the clerk at Summer Fun Pools.

"I dunno." answered my friend.

"That's your problem! You have to add this acid to get the pool in balance." advised the clerk.

So my buddy turned over his credit card and bought the proper acid supplement.

Three days later and the pool remained cloudy. So, back to the store for a solution.

"Your pool is too acidic!" said the clerk. "You need this caustic additive to clear the water."

So he spent more money just to get that clarity a well maintained swimming pool should have. Four days after adding the caustic chemicals, the pool was still murky. My friend decided to go back to Summer Fun for advice.

The swimming pool has a diotomacieous earth filter system.

"How old is the diotomacieous filter media?" was the question the clerk at he pool supply store asked.

"I dunno. Maybe five years." responded my friend.

"That's your problem! The dirt is too old to be effective."

And that meant spending more money on new filter medium.

After emptying the filter, cleaning it thoroughly and replacing it with fresh clean diotomacieous earth, my friend waited in vein for the water to clear. After a week, the pool still looked cloudy.

He went back yet again and told the staff at Summer Fun the new filter medium did not deliver as promised.

"You can't expect new filter medium to clear up cloudy water! That's your problem! The dirt has no bacteria to clear the water! You need to add our special mix of germs to make that diotomacieous earth work the way it should!"

Well, you can pull the wool over he eyes of my buddy just so many times before he finally gets it. He stopped at the grocery store, bought five one gallon jugs of chlorine bleach, stabbed the plastic jugs with a screwdriver and tossed them into his swimming pool. That weekend, the pool looked ready for a photo shoot in Archetectural Digest.

Going to grab a BLT for supper and then head out for our American Legion meeting tonight. One of our member, who is also the treasurer, had a triple by-pass surgery earlier today.

And OMG, thanks to Mertex for calling it to my attention because I completely forgot to check the home page to day but

bday22.gif

to our one and only​

DERIDEO_TE!!!!!!!​

And blessings and happiness for many, many more.

Forum List

Back